Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Chappell Shoots 59, Almost Ran Out of Balls, Titleist Sweeps Club Counts Again

Golfspy_CG2

Titleist began the 2019-20 season much like it did throughout the entire 2018-19 season, by dominating the club count on tour and sweeping the entire count for another week.    

Also read the funny tidbit about Kevin Chappel and his 59, and how his astonishing birdie run, almost caused him to run out of balls!

TITLEIST ON TOUR STORYLINES:

PGA TOUR:  

> Joaquin Niemann (Pro V1x) carded six back-nine birdies to finish with a final round 6-under 64 en route to a 21-under 259 victory total at A Military Tribute at The Greenbrier … It was the first career PGA TOUR title for the 20-year old at the opening event of the 2019-20 season.

> Niemann finished six shots clear of Titleist Brand Ambassadors Tom Hoge (Pro V1, TS2 driver, TS2 fairway metal, 913HD hybrid, 718 CB/MB irons, Vokey Design SM7 gap, sand and proto lob wedges) and Richy Werenski (Pro V1x, TS4 driver, TS3 fairway metal, 818H2 hybrid, U500 3-iron, 620 CB/MB irons, Vokey Design SM7 pitching, sand and proto lob wedges, Scotty Cameron T2 putter), while Brian Harman (Pro V1, 917D2 driver, TS2 fairway metals, U500 4-iron, 716 CB irons, Vokey Design SM7 gap, sand and lob wedges), Harris English (Pro V1) and Nate Lashley (Pro V1x) tied for 4th, another shot back.

SWEEPS WEEK:

> Last season, TITLEIST SWEPT EVERY MAJOR EQUIPMENT CATEGORY at 10 events, all beginning with the 2019 SONY Open in Hawaii.

> Titleist continued the momentum throughout the spring and summer and now at the 2019-20 season-opener, as more players made it the field favorite in the golf ball (119/76%), driver (46/30%), fairway metal (56/30%), hybrid (24/34%), utility iron (42/46%), iron (51/33%), wedge (239/54%) and putter (57/37%) categories at The Greenbrier.

> From tee-through-green - in the field of 156 - Titleist was the overwhelming top choice versus any other brand.

ALL-TITLEIST GOLF BALL LEADERBOARD:

> EACH OF THE TOP 18 FINISHERS and 22 OF THE TOP 23 (top 20 and ties) played a Titleist Pro V1 or Pro V1x golf ball for their success at The Greenbrier.

> At last year’s Wyndham Championship, 11 of the 12 players who finished among the top 10 and ties trusted Titleist golf balls for their success - and so did every other player who finished in the top 35 … That was 34 of the top 35 finishers who teed up a Titleist golf ball when so much was on the line at the PGA TOUR’s regular season finale.

MR. 59:

> Kevin Chappell recorded the 11th sub-60 round in PGA TOUR history on Friday, when he fired an 11-under par 59 at The Greenbrier.

> What made Chappell’s performance even more remarkable was that it was his first PGA TOUR start since last year’s Mayakoba Golf Classic … He underwent a microdiscectomy and laminectomy in the region of his lower back last November 28 and he just started hitting balls with a full swing in May … His performance included a record-tying nine consecutive birdies, previously set in 2009.

WHAT TITLEIST EQUIPMENT IS IN KEVIN CHAPPELL’S BAG:

> Pro V1 golf ball, U500 3-iron, T100 (4-9) irons, Vokey Design SM7pitching (46), gap (52), sand (56) and proto lob (60) wedges.

> While Chappell has an agreement to play the Titleist golf ball, he is a golf club free agent (thus he is not contracted to play Titleist golf clubs).

> Chappell visited the Titleist Performance Institute in Oceanside while he was rehabbing with his swing coach Mark Blackburn … They were working on swing changes to protect Kevin’s body and get speed back … During the fitting, creating launch and getting the right look was a key factor.

> Chappell was fit into the Pro V1 golf ball, and since the T100 irons had not launched yet, Chappell tested with 718 AP2’s and was fit with a setup that worked for him … The team felt the T100 irons would improve upon his performance even more, however, and shipped a set to his home when they became available and continued communication with Mark and Kevin as he continued to rehab.

> Kevin first put the new U500 utility iron and T100 irons into play during the first two events of the Korn Ferry Finals.

> VERY SUPERSTITOUS:

> Chappell revealed that during competition, he takes his Pro V1 golf ball out of play following every birdie he makes.

> En route to his 59 at The Greenbrier, Chappell made more birdies (11) through his first 16 holes – including nine in a row - than he had golf balls in his bag … He was forced to reuse two different balls on the final two holes - with which he made consecutive pars to post his historic 59.

EUROPEAN TOUR:

> The winner [Sergio Garcia/no agreement], playing in the KLM Open for the first time, secured his 16th career European Tour title with a one-shot victory.

> This marked the third event at which he was playing the Pro V1 since switching to it [without an agreement] for the first time at the Northern Trust.

> Matt Wallace (Pro V1) finished solo 3rd, while The solo 4th place finisher also switched to a Titleist golf ball this week – without an agreement - advancing from No. 144 to 112 in the Race to Dubai standings with his performance.

>The win marks the 16th for Titleist golf ball players on the 2018-19 European Tour, more than twice the nearest competitor with 7, and more than all other golf balls combined.

> In addition to topping the golf ball count with 102 players (68%), Titleist was also the field favorite in the driverfairway metalhybridutility ironiron and wedge categories.

SOLHEIM CUP: Europe captured the Solheim Cup, 14.5-13.5, in dramatic fashion with Suzann Pettersen (Pro V1x) making the final putt on the final hole for the victory … 21 of the 24 (88%) players at the event relied upon Titleist golf balls, with three separate brands having one apiece … Eleven (11) of the 12 players on the winning team trusted Titleist golf balls for their success.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Not contracted to play their clubs and nit only does he play them but upgrades to the new line all while recovering. That type of equipment count is more important than when companies have more paid staff in an event than other companies 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I gotta imagine his caddie told him after like the 6th or 7th birdie in a row, "Uh Boss, I wanna keep making birdies as much as you, but if you keep giving these balls away after each one, we're going to have a situation"    😳

I gotta imagine his caddie told him after like the 6th or 7th birdie in a row, "Uh Boss, I wanna keep making birdies as much as you, but if you keep giving these balls away after each one, we're going to have a situation"    

Doesn’t say he gave them away, he took them out of play and the reused 2 that he had previously used for last two holes.

The ball I lost last Thursday lasted about 3 1/2 rounds. I follow the use it til you lose it mentality.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Doesn’t say he gave them away, he took them out of play and the reused 2 that he had previously used for last two holes.

The ball I lost last Thursday lasted about 3 1/2 rounds. I follow the use it til you lose it mentality. emoji23.png

Ah thanks. I guess I read it too quickly, I thought he reused the ones he just made the most recent birdie with.   

Ah thanks. I guess I read it too quickly, I thought he reused the ones he just made the most recent birdie with.   

Article isn’t clear enough to really say. I guess balls only have one birdie in them which is why he parred the last two holes.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

27 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Article isn’t clear enough to really say. I guess balls only have one birdie in them which is why he parred the last two holes.

I read it as he put them in the bag after each birdie and had to go into the bag to reuse two 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

The ball I lost last Thursday lasted about 3 1/2 rounds. I follow the use it til you lose it mentality. emoji23.png

Me too.  And the Srixon ZStar XV's hold up way too well.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

And this explains my lack of birdies using that dang Srixon...

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5