TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cleveland Golf Announces Updated Launcher Lines

Golfspy_CG2

So, pre-ordering is live so I went in to look at custom shaft options. It's pretty much the same as the 2019 custom catalog for now, but I am intrigued. I think I'm going to have a lot of decisions to make about the top and bottom end of my bag going forward, and I'd expect Cleveland to play a big ol' part in those decisions.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I guess to flesh out my thought, and not at all to bump this thread, is that it's going to come down the performance of the 4 iron in the Turbo. As it sits also at a good hybrid type gap for me, it'll be interesting to see how it performs both in gapping to the 5 iron with the three degrees of difference vs a 20* hybrid. This is only a consideration because the site offers a 5-PW set for purchase, with the knowledge that I'll also likely get some new wedges (looking at you CBX-2 and/or RTX-4) and reworking the top of my bag with the following potential options

3W, 5W, 4-PW Launcher

3W, 3H, 4-PW Launcher

3W, 3&4 H, 5-PW Launcher

3W, 5W, 4H, 5-PW Launcher

4W, 3&4 H, 5-PW Launcher

And that's if I stay with going to the Launcher HB Turbo's, which I'm really learning toward at this point in time. But it's early in the new season and I'm looking to buy some stuff to really refocus my golfing efforts as this was kinda a lost season for me.

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

Just now, Berg Ryman said:

I guess to flesh out my thought, and not at all to bump this thread, is that it's going to come down the performance of the 4 iron in the Turbo. As it sits also at a good hybrid type gap for me, it'll be interesting to see how it performs both in gapping to the 5 iron with the three degrees of difference vs a 20* hybrid. This is only a consideration because the site offers a 5-PW set for purchase, with the knowledge that I'll also likely get some new wedges (looking at you CBX-2 and/or RTX-4) and reworking the top of my bag with the following potential options

3W, 5W, 4-PW Launcher

3W, 3H, 4-PW Launcher

3W, 3&4 H, 5-PW Launcher

3W, 5W, 4H, 5-PW Launcher

4W, 3&4 H, 5-PW Launcher

And that's if I stay with going to the Launcher HB Turbo's, which I'm really learning toward at this point in time. But it's early in the new season and I'm looking to buy some stuff to really refocus my golfing efforts as this was kinda a lost season for me.

I highly recommend the Launcher 4 iron and going with the 4-PW if possible.  I ordered the "D" wedge from the Launcher set when I was selected for testing and never got along with it.  My Launcher 4 iron transitions gap wise right to my D7 3 hybrid which is 19 degrees.  The 4 iron is money and a big reason I went from a 13 handicap to around an 8 with this set.  Straight, accurate and the distance is so consistent.  I started using it off the tee a bunch on shorter par 4's.

I've enjoyed my CBX wedges but I bought my son a Tommy Armour wedge the other day and was chipping with it in the backyard and boy do I miss the feeling of a blade wedge.  Not saying you need Tommy Armour wedges but a blade wedge seems to give you more options around the green than the chunky CBXs do.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

18 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I highly recommend the Launcher 4 iron and going with the 4-PW if possible.  I ordered the "D" wedge from the Launcher set when I was selected for testing and never got along with it.  My Launcher 4 iron transitions gap wise right to my D7 3 hybrid which is 19 degrees.  The 4 iron is money and a big reason I went from a 13 handicap to around an 8 with this set.  Straight, accurate and the distance is so consistent.  I started using it off the tee a bunch on shorter par 4's.

I've enjoyed my CBX wedges but I bought my son a Tommy Armour wedge the other day and was chipping with it in the backyard and boy do I miss the feeling of a blade wedge.  Not saying you need Tommy Armour wedges but a blade wedge seems to give you more options around the green than the chunky CBXs do.

See, it's interesting to get this feedback Wedgie. Admitted I'd like to keep the top end of the bag relatively unruffled. I'd be looking at going in on a CBX 2's in 50 and 54 (bent a degree strong in 50 to get to 49*) and then an RTX-4 in 58 for around the green purposes bent to 59.

SIK Golf Flo-C

Shot a 79 today with the new Launchers. A double and a triple killed my score. Really just 2 bad shots lead to what could have been a 76. The Halo 2 hybrid is really good. I was using the Cobra 3/4 wood and the Halo is the same distance but much more accurate with the shorter shaft. Flies a little lower but hasn’t hurt me yet and is great in the wind.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

45 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Shot a 79 today with the new Launchers. A double and a triple killed my score. Really just 2 bad shots lead to what could have been a 76. The Halo 2 hybrid is really good. I was using the Cobra 3/4 wood and the Halo is the same distance but much more accurate with the shorter shaft. Flies a little lower but hasn’t hurt me yet and is great in the wind.

Good stuff buddy!   Is the 4i in your new set a cannon like the old one?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Good stuff buddy!   Is the 4i in your new set a cannon like the old one?

Yeah, pretty much the same as the original 4 iron. We will get together and you can hit them. I will win you back!

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

3 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Hot damn. Remind me to pick you on every single hole if we play Wolf again next time we tee it up.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 4 weeks later...

Easiest irons in golf?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Easiest irons in golf?
[/url]  

I know their early Launcher HB irons were very forgiving and easy to launch. They were the kind of irons you wish were still around for those slumps that creep into your game. Quality and fun to hit was their trademark 🏌️♂️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I was waiting to see Mark tackle these clubs because he loved the older version. All this tells me is that the HB Turbos will be a solid starting point for me in testing.

SIK Golf Flo-C

I tried the UHX driving iron this past weekend and really liked it....price is pretty good compared to other brands also

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

On 10/23/2019 at 10:38 PM, tdkrod said:

Any updates on how it’s going with the launchers, anybody checked out the cobra trails. 

I took the turbo launchers to Florida and walked away with close to $300 of my friends money.  That being said the turbos have been great so far.  Moving to graphite has made these pretty effortless to swing and I seem to never wear down.  Distance might be a hair longer than last years but that could just be the graphite vs. steel.  It took me several rounds to adjust to the lighter weight shafts but with these clubs it doesn't really matter where you hit it on the face, they will not lose much distance.

If you recall I also purchased the Cleveland Halo 2 hybrid to replace my 3 wood.  GPS watch says I picked up on average about 4 yards which is't a huge deal but it has been way more accurate and consistent than my 3 woods.  Part of it is the shaft is 3 inches shorter.  What is best is I can really hit low bullets or elevate the ball when needed with this club.  It made a huge difference in the Florida wind. In the spring I'll probably jump on the Halo 3 hybrid so all my hybrid and iron shafts are the same.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

• 1 month later...

Well I’m back in Florida to play at Sawgrass tomorrow. I had some time to kill in Jacksonville so I went to the PGA Superstore and hit the Launcher HB Turbo driver. I actually ordered one the other day sight unseen because the Dicks cyber sale had it for $262.

I ordered the 9 degree in stiff because that is similar to my XXIO setup. Hit it today and couldn’t get the driver spin over 1,300. I order low loft because my spin is usually over 3,000 with every driver I ever try. The guy had me try the 10.5 in regular and spin went up to 1700. I haven’t picked up a club in a month and only took 2 weak practice swings before I started firing away. Swing speed after about 10 swings was around 92. Slight draw mostly with a few power fades thrown in but for the most part the driver was right down the middle.

Looks are great, felt heavy for some reason and sound was a tad loud. Distances between the 9 degree and 10.5 were the same but they got there different ways. I like roll but I’m probably better off returning the 9 for a 10.5.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

• 1 month later...

Not to bump an old thread back from the grave, but today Mark did a gap test with the HB Turbos, really solid and really straight. Color me very intrigued to see them in person in February at our golf show.

SIK Golf Flo-C