TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 irons

StrokerAce

These were a set I’d love to have tried as additional forgiveness, if it relates to more greens, would be something that would be nice to have!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 9/21/2019 at 10:57 AM, PMookie said:

These were a set I’d love to have tried as additional forgiveness, if it relates to more greens, would be something that would be nice to have!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is the only thing I am hoping for as well.  I want the forgiveness.  I went from blades to the Mizuno 900 tours and could tell right away that the Mizuno was a lot more forgiving, so I am eager to see about these now.  I am worried though about hitting the ball too high.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

That is the only thing I am hoping for as well.  I want the forgiveness.  I went from blades to the Mizuno 900 tours and could tell right away that the Mizuno was a lot more forgiving, so I am eager to see about these now.  I am worried though about hitting the ball too high.  

I wouldn’t be too worried. I’m sure the Fitter will help you with the proper shaft selection to give you the ball flight that’s best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

20 hours ago, Rickp said:

I wouldn’t be too worried. I’m sure the Fitter will help you with the proper shaft selection to give you the ball flight that’s best for you.

Oh without a doubt.  Those guys are good and Ping has a ton of shaft options.  I currently game the Modus Nippon 120 x shaft and love it, Ping carries this as well, but I will let them tell me.  I will be an open book when it comes to getting fit.  I just hope it comes sooner then later due to the weather, as I am sure we all do. 

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

We're still on stand by everyone waiting on some info from PING.  I'm sure as soon as the testers start getting some of their fitting info to them, they'll be sharing it all here. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

getting a full bag fitting on October 9th at TrueSpec.... (it is free...couldn't pass it up!)

if it happens before the Ping fitting I'll be curious if the 410 is one of the irons that is a good match

my guess is the forgiveness + distance it will be.... 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

We're still on stand by everyone waiting on some info from PING.  I'm sure as soon as the testers start getting some of their fitting info to them, they'll be sharing it all here. 

It feels like when you are a kid at Christmas time and you know it's only a week away.  That week can seem like an eternity or it can fly by.  This is our eternity due to all the excitement.  I know PING will get to us when they can and I appreciate just being picked so I will wait till next year if I have to. 

17 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

in the mean time I think my current gamer irons have clued in on the idea they may be on the chopping block. I've put up a couple of my best scores of the year since the test selection announced.

It's definitely feels like seeing the big box under the Christmas tree and having to wait to open it.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

17 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

getting a full bag fitting on October 9th at TrueSpec.... (it is free...couldn't pass it up!)

if it happens before the Ping fitting I'll be curious if the 410 is one of the irons that is a good match

my guess is the forgiveness + distance it will be.... 

I actually hope the PING fitting happens AFTER the full bag fitting for you.  I will be interested to hear what set of irons they fit you for and why.  I think it will be fun to hear how you compare the feel of all the irons they put you in compared to the 410's.  This could make for a GREAT article!

8 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

in the mean time I think my current gamer irons have clued in on the idea they may be on the chopping block. I've put up a couple of my best scores of the year since the test selection announced.

It's definitely feels like seeing the big box under the Christmas tree and having to wait to open it.

I get that too!  When I make up my mind that it's time to get a new club, the old ones seem to "know" and perform better then they ever have. 

I get that too!  When I make up my mind that it's time to get a new club, the old ones seem to "know" and perform better then they ever have. 

Of course they know! They talk when in the garage together. Their smarter than they look

Rick

Left Hand, 

32 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Of course they know! They talk when in the garage together. Their smarter than they lookemoji12.png

i think the Mizunos might be sitting in the garage bag saying 'Bring it on Ping G410s, bring it..."

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

i think the Mizunos might be sitting in the garage bag saying 'Bring it on Ping G410s, bring it..."

I don’t doubt it, Mizuno’s can Trash Talk

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Petty is going through my head now. Anyone else?

On my next visit to the practice bay at Golftec I'm going to try and capture some data on my Hogan irons so I'll have a baseline to compare the G410s to.  I know the fitting will start out with that, but I want to have a larger data set to start with.

Performance-wise right now my 7-iron is my 155 yard club and I am averaging about a 33% GIR rate. That rate earlier in the season was a little lower but it was mostly due to errant tee shot performance not wild irons. As my tee ball game has gotten better through the season however, I have not seen a corresponding increase in the GIR numbers. That tells me I'm looking for a little better dispersion than what I'm getting from the Hogans.

I'm fully aware there is some indian not arrow factor in the numbers (also why I'm at Golftec), but as an 'ok' indian, a slightly better arrow can't hurt right?

Another update. We (the tester group) are starting to get connected with fitters. Be on the lookout for posts on the fitting experience in the near future.

It's gonna be fun!!

On 9/20/2019 at 5:09 PM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

My first fitting I was a yellow dot.

My second one I was a black dot.

Wonder if it will be another color this time???  😃

It was black!! 😊

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

A little preview....whew boy what a difference the proper shaft makes.  🙂

Results-irons.JPG

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

52 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's looking good! More spin, slightly higher launch, and 6 yards longer total. This is going to be fun to follow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks!  Yeah I'm hoping to get the ball to stop a little closer to where it lands rather than having it roll out.  I'd rather have an 8 foot putt instead of a 20 footer.... 😉

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Have an early appointment Monday with a local Ping Certified Fitter. He even doesn’t mind working with LH Ole Farts

Looking forward to good numbers with these sticks, close to GS Stroker numbers would be great.

Rick

Left Hand, 

4 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's looking good! More spin, slightly higher launch, and 6 yards longer total. This is going to be fun to follow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It was the standard deviation numbers that grabbed my attention. Not just 6 more yards, but 6 more yards with more consistency in both distance and yards off-line. 

I went to my fitting this morning at GOLFTEC. One of the Ping fitters there just happened to be my coach so he was already somewhat familiar with my swing. Since we were locked into the G410s for the test, we didn't have to go through a lot of the preliminaries of hitting multiple club models to narrow down so we could really concentrate on dialing in the 410s. 

His questions starting out:

1. What am I looking for out of the G410s? My A: Better consistency/forgiveness, although the anticipated more distance can't hurt. 

2. What drove me to select/opt for the G410 since it's a slight step back toward GI from where my Hogans are as a little more of a players CB? My A: Again, seeking more forgiveness even though that might mean sacrificing some work-ability.

My questions starting out:

1. I already tend to hit the ball pretty high and right to left. Is the design of the club going to turn that high draw/hook into a REALLY high big hook?  His A: We should be able to work our way into a shaft that normalizes the launch angle and height. It might take some swing adjustment later to dial back too much hook if we see it.

2. Will the increased offset in the long irons result in a tendency to over hook? His A: We'll have to wait and see. We didn't see a drastic difference in the basic ball flight between my Hogan 7 and the Ping 7 (sitll a moderately high medium draw/small hook) 

3. Expecting to see a bit of a distance gain at the 7 iron, if it's too much there how will that affect gapping at the bottom of the set and the transition into the wedges? His A: We are going to fit down to the A-wedge so the gapping should be pretty consistent to that point in the set. Again, a bit of a wait and see with how that meshes with my current wedge distances.

I hit a few warm up shots with my 7 iron. And by that I mean I grooved about 5 straight A swings on it so established a really solid baseline for comparison. Then started hitting some shots with the Pings. For now, I'll just say it took some time for me to get a good swing feel with them. I hit several toss-out shots through the process. We went through 3 or 4 different shaft/lie combinations, but did finally find a good setup.

I'll post again later with a couple of photos and some more specific data.

The GOLFTEC fitting experience itself was first rate. Again, some of the initial 'what are you looking for?' discussion was eliminated since we were pre-determined to the G410. They did some analysis of my current driver and 7 iron shafts to verify a consistent flex profile, and to get length/loft/lie data. As we made our way through the Ping combinations, he asked a lot of insightful questions about how the clubs looked/felt as we made changes; all the while considering and talking about the changes in shot data as we went through the process. In the end I think we came to a really good conclusion on a set makeup that will really work well for the testing and review.

Thanks to Craig at GOLFTEC and MGS for the member test opportunity. And away.. we.. GO!

21 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Results-irons.JPG

Oooo.... Project X LZ. One of the shafts I really want to hit!

Numbers look great. Nothing like adding 10 yards with more spin and angle. 

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

16 hours ago, Rickp said:

Have an early appointment Monday with a local Ping Certified Fitter. He even doesn’t mind working with LH Ole Farts emoji106.png

Looking forward to good numbers with these sticks, close to GS Stroker numbers would be great.

Rick. It's no problem for them with today's technologies... they can reverse the images and video to view your swing from the proper side of the ball 😉😂.  Have fun with the fitting.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

22 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Results-irons.JPG

What iron were you hitting?  Did you also hit the AWT 2.0's?  My second best numbers came with the Project X LZ 5.5; which I was paired with on the G400's during my first iron fitting.  But the AWT's ended up being slightly better on the G410's.  Fitter liked my strike zone a wee bit more with the AWT's. Had I opted for the Mizunos it would have been the PX-LZ shafts.  

Rick. It's no problem for them with today's technologies... they can reverse the images and video to view your swing from the proper side of the ball .  Have fun with the fitting.

Or I can send my evil twin, wait I may be the evil twin....

Rick

Left Hand, 

7 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

What iron were you hitting?  Did you also hit the AWT 2.0's?  My second best numbers came with the Project X LZ 5.5; which I was paired with on the G400's during my first iron fitting.  But the AWT's ended up being slightly better on the G410's.  Fitter liked my strike zone a wee bit more with the AWT's. Had I opted for the Mizunos it would have been the PX-LZ shafts.  

Wishon Sterling single length

Did not try AWT. Love the LZ shaft. Felt perfect.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Great stuff so far fellas! I can't wait to see how the fitters handle the already high ball flight some of you have. That is something I struggle with with every club in the bag but irons are the worst.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Great stuff so far fellas! I can't wait to see how the fitters handle the already high ball flight some of you have. That is something I struggle with with every club in the bag but irons are the worst.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I’m also curious on how the fitting will go. As I get older ball flight has been coming down and obviously ball speed is dropping. I’m greedy and would like high ball flight, decent ball speed and carry distance but also realistic and will go with the Fitter recommendations. Ping has great products so it’s up to me to get them to work.
Monday, Monday...

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Wishon Sterling single length

Did not try AWT. Love the LZ shaft. Felt perfect.

Sorry, I meant what club; 6i, 7i??