Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Here'a a little more detail on my fitting for the G410 Irons.

After warming up with my current 7 iron (photo on the left is the Hogan, right G410) I had a good baseline of numbers to compare

.1660702872_410SBS.jpg.1deebfa88315c48a164a3a6db0085c00.jpg

For looks, the toplines are very similar, but the G410 is visibly a little larger with slightly more offset. Feel-wise it took some time to work through some shaft options to get something that felt good to me. For the feel of the club anyway, my Hogans feel very balanced when I hold the club up parallel in front. At least with the first couple of shaft options in the Ping they felt very club-head heavy to me.

Started out with a shaft similar to my current KBS Tour V stiff, and the results were ugly, couldn't find the swing and ball flights were all over the place. We tried a couple more and results were the same. We got to the Ping AWT 2.0 stiff and the dispersal started to come around, but the ball flight wasn't ideal and didn't see much distance change. Finally we tried the AWT Regular and got what we were looking for. Similar launch with better ball speed, consistent ball flight, and a little more carry distance. To boot, we got the more balanced feel that I seem to like.

Final Result - Ping G410 Irons with Ping's True Temper AWT 2.0 shaft in R flex (I knew that was coming eventually since my next birthday comes with a colonoscopy appointment). I also know and chatted with my fitter that not all shaft flex designations are the same. I'll have to have them check on the freq machine but it could be with the heavier weighted shaft these are pretty close to what I've been swinging.

I feel fairly confident I'll be able to determine distance gains and accuracy without using the Arccos system, so I've opted not to select the incorporated grips.

By the numbers:

Hogan PTx - Ball Speed 105 mph, BackSpin 6335, Launch Angle 22.25*, Offline 4.8 yds, Descent angle 48*, carry 143.8 yds 

Ping G410 - Ball Speed 106 mph, BackSpin 4791, Launch Angle 22.5*, Offline 11.5 yds, Descent angle 47.25*, carry 151.5

I feel confident some more practice to dial in feel will bring the offline number for the Pings in a little closer, and we also had to keep a couple of more errant shots in the count that skewed the number a bit. The final 4 swings were all tightly grouped, just a bit more left of line than the Hogans.

Looking forward to arrival day and getting to work.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

After warming up with my current 7 iron (photo on the left is the Hogan, right G410) I had a good baseline of numbers to compare

For looks, the toplines are very similar, but the G410 is visibly a little larger with slightly more offset. Feel-wise it took some time to work through some shaft options to get something that felt good to me. For the feel of the club anyway, my Hogans feel very balanced when I hold the club up parallel in front. At least with the first couple of shaft options in the Ping they felt very club-head heavy to me.
Started out with a shaft similar to my current KBS Tour V stiff, and the results were ugly, couldn't find the swing and ball flights were all over the place. We tried a couple more and results were the same. We got to the Ping AWT 2.0 stiff and the dispersal started to come around, but the ball flight wasn't ideal and didn't see much distance change. Finally we tried the AWT Regular and got what we were looking for. Similar launch with better ball speed, consistent ball flight, and a little more carry distance. To boot, we got the more balanced feel that I seem to like.
Final Result - Ping G410 Irons with Ping's True Temper AWT 2.0 shaft in R flex (I knew that was coming eventually since my next birthday comes with a colonoscopy appointment). I also know and chatted with my fitter that not all shaft flex designations are the same. I'll have to have them check on the freq machine but it could be with the heavier weighted shaft these are pretty close to what I've been swinging.
I feel fairly confident I'll be able to determine distance gains and accuracy without using the Arccos system, so I've opted not to select the incorporated grips.
By the numbers:
Hogan PTx - Ball Speed 105 mph, BackSpin 6335, Launch Angle 22.25*, Offline 4.8 yds, Descent angle 48*, carry 143.8 yds 
Ping G410 - Ball Speed 106 mph, BackSpin 4791, Launch Angle 22.5*, Offline 11.5 yds, Descent angle 47.25*, carry 151.5
I feel confident some more practice to dial in feel will bring the offline number for the Pings in a little closer, and we also had to keep a couple of more errant shots in the count that skewed the number a bit. The final 4 swings were all tightly grouped, just a bit more left of line than the Hogans.

The slightly larger head and a bit more offset on the G410 weren’t a concern?
Almost 10 yards additional carry sounds like a great fit for you.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 hours ago, GregB135 said:

Final Result - Ping G410 Irons with Ping's True Temper AWT 2.0 shaft in R flex (I knew that was coming eventually since my next birthday comes with a colonoscopy appointment). I also know and chatted with my fitter that not all shaft flex designations are the same.

Great stuff! Those are the shafts that worked best for me as well.  My dispersion with the G410's was more than with my PE2's during the fitting tests; but that is no longer the case. I'd say they are as good or better now having adjusted to the new sticks.   Also, PING does offer grips with the PING logo if that is of interest, it was for me. I really like them alot. Plus, I'm pretty sure they're a yard longer than other grips 😉.

https://www.tgw.com/ping-id8-360-golf-grip?SITE_ID=W8865&CID=PLA&msclkid=8d128d97937a13b01c3dd034ef044c1c&gclid=CMeg0vWwi8gCFQEPaQodRVYDRA&gclsrc=ds

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Great stuff! Those are the shafts that worked best for me as well.  My dispersion with the G410's was more than with my PE2's during the fitting tests; but that is no longer the case. I'd say they are as good or better now having adjusted to the new sticks.   Also, PING does offer grips with the PING logo if that is of interest, it was for me. I really like them alot. Plus, I'm pretty sure they're a yard longer than other grips .
https://www.tgw.com/ping-id8-360-golf-grip?SITE_ID=W8865&CID=PLA&msclkid=8d128d97937a13b01c3dd034ef044c1c&gclid=CMeg0vWwi8gCFQEPaQodRVYDRA&gclsrc=ds

1 additional yard, I’m in

Rick

Left Hand, 

17 hours ago, Rickp said:

The slightly larger head and a bit more offset on the G410 weren’t a concern?
Almost 10 yards additional carry sounds like a great fit for you.

I will say the increased offset is a little bit of a concern for me. Having looked at a full set on the rack the offset is more pronounced in the long irons than it is at the 7 iron and down. The 7 iron ball flight was really close to my current gamers, just with 8 extra yards. It will take some time during the testing to see what the long irons play like for me with the greater offset.

Ping is offering these up as compatible for the low 2-digit handicap to the 20+. As a player near the lower end of that wanting to improve my GIR stats, I was mostly attracted to the forgiveness side of these irons. It may wind up being a focus area of my write up that the better ball striking players may want to look at the hybrid or crossover options in the 4/5 iron.

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

By the numbers:

Thank you for sharing address photos.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I will say the increased offset is a little bit of a concern for me. Having looked at a full set on the rack the offset is more pronounced in the long irons than it is at the 7 iron and down. The 7 iron ball flight was really close to my current gamers, just with 8 extra yards. It will take some time during the testing to see what the long irons play like for me with the greater offset.
Ping is offering these up as compatible for the low 2-digit handicap to the 20+. As a player near the lower end of that wanting to improve my GIR stats, I was mostly attracted to the forgiveness side of these irons. It may wind up being a focus area of my write up that the better ball striking players may want to look at the hybrid or crossover options in the 4/5 iron.

The offset looks close to my i5’s. I can appreciate why someone would be against that look but the compromise between GI and players iron is a healthy blend.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

23 hours ago, bens197 said:

The offset looks close to my i5’s. I can appreciate why someone would be against that look but the compromise between GI and players iron is a healthy blend.

Agree. The full set, at least on the store rack, has a lot more offset in the 4 iron than the 7 and it progresses down through the set. I'll definitely spend some time hitting the long irons to see if the increased offset helps or hinders.

On 10/14/2019 at 8:47 AM, GregB135 said:

I would not consider myself a great ball striker however I hit my irons pretty consistent.  I too am looking hard at a few things:  1) ball flight 2) forgiveness 3) spin

I get fitted Sunday for mine so we shall see what they put me in.  Years ago I had the PING G10's in red dot with stiff tru temper shafts.  Lets see how things have changed.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Really enjoying reading this testing group,can't wait for all of your future thought!

Image result for very entertaining meme

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

Did the Fitting yesterday @ 8:00, Golf Central in Brownwood. This is an hour B4 opening because the Fitter/Mgr could dedicate the time since he agreed to do this for gratis. More on him and the small drama later.

Cutting thru all the normal fitting info the numbers on my current irons were horrible and inconsistent. Like all fitters Left Hand players are not their favorite.
We went thru the all the shafts that Ping offers. Best numbers were the Alta CB SR graphite shaft. Something was still not right. I’ve played Green Dot (2’ up) for years. Using the Lie Board (which Lied) with a Black Dot Demo showed similar results but still something wrong. The Ping Demo Cart only has LH Black 7iron. Scott, the Fitter set me up with a non-Ping 7 iron, 2’ Flat, SR shaft. That was the ticket. Scott explain how my “toe down” swing may look like it needs a 2’ up but actually needed a 2’ Flat (Orange).
Only real stat I got right now Ball Speed improve from 86 to 90 mph with the Alta Shaft.

I’ll be back....

Rick

Left Hand, 

Did the Fitting yesterday @ 8:00, Golf Central in Brownwood. This is an hour B4 opening because the Fitter/Mgr could dedicate the time since he agreed to do this for gratis. More on him and the small drama later.

Cutting thru all the normal fitting info the numbers on my current irons were horrible and inconsistent. Like all fitters Left Hand players are not their favorite.
We went thru the all the shafts that Ping offers. Best numbers were the Alta CB SR graphite shaft. Something was still not right. I’ve played Green Dot (2’ up) for years. Using the Lie Board (which Lied) with a Black Dot Demo showed similar results but still something wrong. The Ping Demo Cart only has LH Black 7iron. Scott, the Fitter set me up with a non-Ping 7 iron, 2’ Flat, SR shaft. That was the ticket. Scott explain how my “toe down” swing may look like it needs a 2’ up but actually needed a 2’ Flat (Orange).
Only real stat I got right now Ball Speed improve from 86 to 90 mph with the Alta Shaft.

I’ll be back....

PING changed the color code system a few years back. Blue used to be 1* up now it’s 0.75* up.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

I’ll be back....

Couple more notes about Fitter, Scott Wood. He was gracious enough to fit me in knowing this was not going to be a sale. His explanation during the process was very thorough. The saying can’t teach old dogs new tricks is wrong, he taught me a lot.
Couple other stats; launch angle from 14’ to 18.5’ and spin from 3550 to 5700 so definite improvement.
IMG_0217.JPG
My lonely cart @ 8:00 am

Rick

Left Hand, 

On 10/16/2019 at 4:22 PM, Rickp said:

Couple more notes about Fitter, Scott Wood. He was gracious enough to fit me in knowing this was not going to be a sale. His explanation during the process was very thorough. The saying can’t teach old dogs new tricks is wrong, he taught me a lot.
Couple other stats; launch angle from 14’ to 18.5’ and spin from 3550 to 5700 so definite improvement.
IMG_0217.JPG

This is the only thing that really worries me, your launch height increased.  I am hoping that is more from the shaft then the actual club head design.  When I had my PING G10's, I hit those high...too high and could not flight the ball down if needed.  I am hoping that I can control the flight a bit better with these.  I will find out Sunday.

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

This is the only thing that really worries me, your launch height increased.  I am hoping that is more from the shaft then the actual club head design.  When I had my PING G10's, I hit those high...too high and could not flight the ball down if needed.  I am hoping that I can control the flight a bit better with these.  I will find out Sunday.

No worries, Definitely the shaft. From Regular 90gr, R to Sr 65gr that’s what got my launch angle up.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Light through yonder window breaks.... 
in_bag.jpg.dabedbc0e837508b50712658eba895a1.jpg
order_specs.jpg.713b5566fb039d7990d65b3f5b638113.jpg

Sure look nice in the bag!

Rick

Left Hand, 

44 minutes ago, Rickp said:

No worries, Definitely the shaft. From Regular 90gr, R to Sr 65gr that’s what got my launch angle up.

Oh good!  I was hoping that is what it was!  Enjoy the process now!

On 10/16/2019 at 2:22 PM, Rickp said:

IMG_0217.JPG

Rick, have you had an iron fitting before?  I had three different "lie board" evals done, by three different fitters, over an 6 month period and all confirmed the one I had in 1988 when I bought my PE2's. That's a big change from what you've been playing.

Rick, have you had an iron fitting before?  I had three different "lie board" evals done, by three different fitters, over an 6 month period and all confirmed the one I had in 1988 when I bought my PE2's. That's a big change from what you've been playing.

Yes, I’ve had several Fittings from different people stretched out over maybe dozen + years. Most results were 2’ up one time 3’ up. This time he also came up with 2’ with the board. I could tell he didn’t like it that’s when he asked me if we could experiment which I jumped at. He marked a line on a ball and I hit with the 2’ up, line was near toe, again hit with 1’ flat mark moved towards center of face, 2’ flat mark was near center of face an felt great.
The G410 irons will be 2’ flat and the experiment begins.

Rick

Left Hand, 

29 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Yes, I’ve had several Fittings from different people stretched out over maybe dozen + years. Most results were 2’ up one time 3’ up. This time he also came up with 2’ with the board. I could tell he didn’t like it that’s when he asked me if we could experiment which I jumped at. He marked a line on a ball and I hit with the 2’ up, line was near toe, again hit with 1’ flat mark moved towards center of face, 2’ flat mark was near center of face an felt great.
The G410 irons will be 2’ flat and the experiment begins.

Hmm, that is going to make your test case/review ever more interesting.  Your experience would have me wondering were it not for the detailed 3D graphic analysis afforded by the Foresight LM system - which validates what the lie board test results.  

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Hmm, that is going to make your test case/review ever more interesting.  Your experience would have me wondering were it not for the detailed 3D graphic analysis afforded by the Foresight LM system - which validates what the lie board test results.  

Lie boards are generally called that for a reason 😎

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Lie boards are generally called that for a reason

That’s exactly what Scott said!
Great minds

Rick

Left Hand, 

Just now, Rickp said:

That’s exactly what Scott said!
Great mindsemoji16.png

He's obviously a very intelligent guy 😜

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I guess we’ll know a lot more in the next few weeks, on course and the LM.
Waiting patiently for delivery

Rick

Left Hand, 

He's obviously a very intelligent guy

Of course

Rick

Left Hand, 

I guess we’ll know a lot more in the next few weeks, on course and the LM.
Waiting patiently for delivery

I’m looking forward to your review partner 🏌️♂️

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

So I went for my fitting today!  First and foremost I would like to once again say THANK YOU MGS for allowing me the opportunity and trust to do this write up.  I would especially like say THANK YOU to Golfspy_CG2!  We met for the first time today at the fitting.  We had the perfect day for a fitting today...54 degrees and steady rain.  I was fitted into green dot irons standard length with Dynamic Gold 120 X100 shafts.  Wait till tomorrow for more.