Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 irons

StrokerAce

37 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

So I went for my fitting today!  First and foremost I would like to once again say THANK YOU MGS for allowing me the opportunity and trust to do this write up.  I would especially like say THANK YOU to Golfspy_CG2!  We met for the first time today at the fitting.  We had the perfect day for a fitting today...54 degrees and steady rain.  I was fitted into green dot irons standard length with Dynamic Gold 120 X100 shafts.  Wait till tomorrow for more. 

Great to meet you and thanks for letting me watch along with it.  I think you got a good thorough fitting from John with some solid recommemdstions.  

I won't spill any of the beans...other than Ballplayer can hit the ball.   That shaft is no joke.  

I took a swing with it just for giggles.  I was actually surprised I got decent height on it and it went straight.  Ha.  So I quit while I was ahead. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 10/18/2019 at 7:08 PM, Rickp said:

Yes, I’ve had several Fittings from different people stretched out over maybe dozen + years. Most results were 2’ up one time 3’ up. This time he also came up with 2’ with the board. I could tell he didn’t like it that’s when he asked me if we could experiment which I jumped at. He marked a line on a ball and I hit with the 2’ up, line was near toe, again hit with 1’ flat mark moved towards center of face, 2’ flat mark was near center of face an felt great.
The G410 irons will be 2’ flat and the experiment begins.

My fitter did something similar when I was having trouble making good strikes based on the basic measurements. Marked the line on the ball... gave me a setup he said was 'a little off from the numbers'.. and .. balls flying right down the line like magic. We didn't use a lie board but the only time I was ever fitted on one the result was adjust to 1/2" long. My G410s will be 3/4" longer than standard. 

On 10/18/2019 at 10:34 PM, Rickp said:

I guess we’ll know a lot more in the next few weeks, on course and the LM.
Waiting patiently for delivery emoji106.png

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Update from Rob, the AWT shafts I was fitted into needed to be back ordered, so maybe a few days more patience in the offing 🤞

Sounds like we all had a good experience with the fittings though. For all the readers, it is something re-iterated throughout many of the forum threads, the MGS Blog, and the No Putts Given podcast. If  you want to have the best chance to find the best equipment to help you play better.... GET FIT!

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

9 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Great to meet you and thanks for letting me watch along with it.  I think you got a good thorough fitting from John with some solid recommemdstions.  

I won't spill any of the beans...other than Ballplayer can hit the ball.   That shaft is no joke.  

I took a swing with it just for giggles.  I was actually surprised I got decent height on it and it went straight.  Ha.  So I quit while I was ahead. 

Thanks again for coming.  We will definitely have to get out there and play a round or two.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

As you know, yesterday I was fitted for my PING G410's.  I met Golfspy CG_2 at Arundel Golf Park (which is right next to BWI Airport).  I have to say, at first I was a bit concerned being that it was in the mid to low 50's and had been steadily raining all day.  I called them early that morning to make sure they were open and to my surprise they were.  For me, this was about an hour and a half ride so I had to make sure.  The radar showed nothing but green on the screen for the next several hours so you can obviously see my concern.  I checked to see if they had an indoor fitting area and they did not. 

Upon entering their drive, I was greeted by a miniature golf course and I continued to think...how good can this place be?!  I went inside and was greeted by a friendly staff and a nice proshop.  I then walked outside to the hitting bays and boy was I wrong.  The hitting bays were well covered and dry (think Top Golf), with automatic ball machines in the matts.  Much to my surprise, there were people there hitting...in this weather...a lot of people!  

I then met John Miller, my fitter.  John knew his stuff.  He first measured me standing with a closed fist for my lie angle (which I am 2 degrees upright).  Next he had me swing a club with Mizuno's shaft optimizer on it.  Three swings and it was able to spit out about a dozen shafts.  The top shaft was the Dynamic Gold 120 x100 shaft.  In my head this is too much shaft for me.  I currently play a Modus 120 x shaft but that is because Modus shafts tend to be a bit weak.  I told John, I liked my Modus shaft and it WAS located on the list but it was the LAST one on the list.  

John asked me what I like to feel in the shaft and I simply told him I want it to feel like a baseball bat (hence my name Ballplayer...for baseball player).  He set me up with the one I wanted and the one he thought and long story short, I don't know what the hell I am talking about.  He was right 100%.  The Dynamic Gold shaft felt much more rigid throughout.  I couldn't feel it loading which I don't want to feel anyway. 

Now I was still launching the ball sky high!  To help combat this, John suggested that I go with the Power Spec option.  I will be the first to say, earlier on, I questioned why PING would include this option and thought it was more for ego than anything, but again...I'm not that smart.  I will just have to get used to the fact that now my gap wedge will be like my old PW and my PW will now hit like my 9 iron etc.  This should be a fun test.  I will say though the ball flew pretty straight and true.  I had a few baby fades and one or two shanks but the ball flew to the target.   One side note that John thought was interesting was that he noticed when looking at the numbers that with these clubs I tend to back the ball up once the ball lands.  Who knew?! 

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_4542.jpeg

IMG_4545.jpeg

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

As you know, yesterday I was fitted for my PING G410's.  I met Golfspy CG_2 at Arundel Golf Park (which is right next to BWI Airport).  I have to say, at first I was a bit concerned being that it was in the mid to low 50's and had been steadily raining all day.  I called them early that morning to make sure they were open and to my surprise they were.  For me, this was about an hour and a half ride so I had to make sure.  The radar showed nothing but green on the screen for the next several hours so you can obviously see my concern.  I checked to see if they had an indoor fitting area and they did not. 
Upon entering their drive, I was greeted by a miniature golf course and I continued to think...how good can this place be?!  I went inside and was greeted by a friendly staff and a nice proshop.  I then walked outside to the hitting bays and boy was I wrong.  The hitting bays were well covered and dry (think Top Golf), with automatic ball machines in the matts.  Much to my surprise, there were people there hitting...in this weather...a lot of people!  
I then met John Miller, my fitter.  John knew his stuff.  He first measured me standing with a closed fist for my lie angle (which I am 2 degrees upright).  Next he had me swing a club with Mizuno's shaft optimizer on it.  Three swings and it was able to spit out about a dozen shafts.  The top shaft was the Dynamic Gold 120 x100 shaft.  In my head this is too much shaft for me.  I currently play a Modus 120 x shaft but that is because Modus shafts tend to be a bit weak.  I told John, I liked my Modus shaft and it WAS located on the list but it was the LAST one on the list.  
John asked me what I like to feel in the shaft and I simply told him I want it to feel like a baseball bat (hence my name Ballplayer...for baseball player).  He set me up with the one I wanted and the one he thought and long story short, I don't know what the hell I am talking about.  He was right 100%.  The Dynamic Gold shaft felt much more rigid throughout.  I couldn't feel it loading which I don't want to feel anyway. 
Now I was still launching the ball sky high!  To help combat this, John suggested that I go with the Power Spec option.  I will be the first to say, earlier on, I questioned why PING would include this option and thought it was more for ego than anything, but again...I'm not that smart.  I will just have to get used to the fact that now my gap wedge will be like my old PW and my PW will now hit like my 9 iron etc.  This should be a fun test.  I will say though the ball flew pretty straight and true.  I had a few baby fades and one or two shanks but the ball flew to the target.   One side note that John thought was interesting was that he noticed when looking at the numbers that with these clubs I tend to back the ball up once the ball lands.  Who knew?! 
IMG_0096.thumb.jpg.64941406193d213c225aad02911df427.jpg
IMG_4542.thumb.jpeg.32d44aef0d699799d2cdc47f9451437e.jpeg
IMG_4545.jpeg.a276647abeedddba4df3871824df6e72.jpeg

Sounds like a great fitting in a miserable day. This should be fun Bud

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

11 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Sounds like a great fitting in a miserable day. This should be fun Budemoji106.png

It was a great fitting on such a gloomy day.  As we started rolling, I didn't even notice the gloom anymore.  It was great too, seeing so many people out at the range.

FED X made a delivery short time ago.....IMG_0255.JPGIMG_0257.JPG

Rick

Left Hand, 

FED X made a delivery short time ago.....IMG_0255.thumb.JPG.e3e71f35caa4aa5aa2a06264a8148edb.JPGIMG_0257.thumb.JPG.82a9b831d341263ae9af0f05c8e7f63a.JPG

Ping 7 iron on the left current gamer 7i on the right. I can’t see any big difference.
Waiting for rain to stop B4 I stick my head outside.
Tomorrow playing a tough Exec, Wednesday playing the same 9 I played this morning so can make some quick assessments.
Gave the a Pings a close inspection and fit and finish lot good.
First swings tomorrow morning 7:36

Rick

Left Hand, 

Love it Rick!  I figured they would be in early this week.  Can't wait to hear how they do.  @ballplayer002003 I got confirmation your order is in the works and should be on your doorstep early next week! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Debut round is Thursday. 

Can't wait!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Ping 7 iron on the left current gamer 7i on the right. I can’t see any big difference.
Waiting for rain to stop B4 I stick my head outside.
Tomorrow playing a tough Exec, Wednesday playing the same 9 I played this morning so can make some quick assessments.
Gave the a Pings a close inspection and fit and finish lot good.
First swings tomorrow morning 7:36

They look great Rick! Can’t wait to get started.

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Debut round is Thursday. 
Can't wait!

Your supposed to get decent weather Thursday. Good luck

Rick

Left Hand, 

They look great Rick! Can’t wait to get started.

I would have hit a few wedges today at the 8th green in back of my house if it wasn’t raining.
Have to wait until morning.

Rick

Left Hand, 

26 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I would have hit a few wedges today at the 8th green in back of my house if it wasn’t raining.

What you going through with the rain and your new G410 irons is not unlike a hound dog waiting on a rib eye steak however it's just out of reach.   You drooling bruther?  😉

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

What you going through with the rain and your new G410 irons is not unlike a hound dog waiting on a rib eye steak however it's just out of reach.   You drooling bruther?  

Nope, more like slobbering

Rick

Left Hand, 

10 hours ago, Rickp said:

Based on the Most Wanted Wedge report and Ping's 'Hydropearl' finish it should have been 'Take dead aim' even when wet 😜

Based on the Most Wanted Wedge report and Ping's 'Hydropearl' finish it should have been 'Take dead aim' even when wet 

Clubs can do rain, I dont

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm still impressed with the one week fitting to delivery timeline. Hopefully that means it won't be too much longer for me since shafts were back-ordered.

I'm still impressed with the one week fitting to delivery timeline. Hopefully that means it won't be too much longer for me since shafts were back-ordered.

Ping Customer Service is Top Notch.

Rick

Left Hand, 

15 hours ago, Rickp said:

I can't wait for your reviews!! The 410s look so good. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

15 hours ago, Rickp said:

Rick, Is it me or are your clubs facing the wrong direction?!!  haha  Now get out there and hit the hell out of them!  Let the fun begin!

12 hours ago, Rickp said:

Your supposed to get decent weather Thursday. Good luckemoji106.png

Threading the needle this time of year!  Hopefully it holds and things don't change, but I've played plenty in cold windy rain in the fall.  🙂

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

First time out.....

Don’t think Pic loaded. Redo later.

Rick

Left Hand, 

First time out.....
Don’t think Pic loaded. Redo later.

They looked a little apprehensive about being on the course but they got over it quickly. The wedges were skittish

IMG_0261.JPG

Rick

Left Hand, 

I was able to get out for my first round with the new sticks...

Pleased with the ball flight and trajectory.

This is a well struck 5i from 190... the ball lands and sticks pretty well.
IMG_20191024_112833.jpg

Still getting used to the new distances and was surprised by a few shots.

4 par threes...parred 2 and bogied the other 2....

Pretty sure I used everything but the 4... I'm going to need to do an iron-only round to really get a good feel for these.

Didn't activate Arccos yet; it's a 3 month trial and if I activate it now I'll only get to use a few weeks out of it so I'm going to wait until next year.

Hoping to get out at least 3 to 4 more times before courses close shop for the season.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Very nice job guys, I’m enjoying the read.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Very nice job guys, I’m enjoying the read.

Tomorrow “Bacon Boys 9” should be interesting, will be an all iron morning.

Rick

Left Hand, 

They're here!  So lets look at this timeline for a second, I was fit on Sunday afternoon and the clubs were at my door tonight when I got home from my football game.  They were built, packaged and shipped all within FOUR days!  I couldn't be more impressed with PING right now.  That was just fast.
Now I coach football at my school and we had a game tonight so I didn't get home until after 8.  The box was sitting on my kitchen island waiting for me.  My wife looks at me and say, "I think those might be your clubs."  So just like every teenager at Christmas, I played it super cool, I just gave a reply of, "oh ok" as if it was no big deal.  Now inside I wanted to rip the box open and giggle but again, I played it cool.  
After I scarfed down my dinner, my wife stated that she was going to take a shower and go to bed.  This is one night when I was happy she decided to do this so I could play with my new toys.  I quickly opened up the box and took a look.  The fist thing I noticed when I opened the box was unmarked black neoprene headcovers.   Don't judge me, I didn't put them on.  So if you use headcovers and you want some, they are all yours lol.  I took out the clubs and noticed the clubs felt heavy and firm.  That is how I like them.  I want my clubs to feel like a baseball bat (it's what I am used to).  The clubs were weighted to D4 swing weight so I am stoked.  I ordered them with the midsize black and red multi-compound grip to match the black and red of the head.  The shaft logo is turned down so at address, I am looking down at just the steel of the shaft.  Tomorrow night I will compare the looks of the head  to my Mizuno's and provide more pictures. 

IMG_0099.jpg.3095a02dec1086537ddfddaa2ed7fbd3.jpg
IMG_0101.jpg.035ab0fb5d5a0db3abffa190fb6eb9c8.jpg
IMG_0102.jpg.81f8e0aa872076badf4ff493f6430d77.jpg
I give you props for not immediately tearing into that box, I would have given in to the temptation. I'm a fan of the multi-compound grips and love the color combination you picked to compliment the 410's. Have fun hitting them and I'm looking forward to hearing how they work out for all of you!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

5 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I give you props for not immediately tearing into that box, I would have given in to the temptation. I'm a fan of the multi-compound grips and love the color combination you picked to compliment the 410's. Have fun hitting them and I'm looking forward to hearing how they work out for all of you!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks, the grips look good with the heads.  It was hard not ripping the box open, but I think the thing that helped was when I got home, it was dark.  Had it been light outside I would have torn into them.