TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 irons

StrokerAce

Shot tracer from 178 into the wind.  Used a 7 iron from here.  Shot tracer showed ball on the right side of green, actually the ball hit left side, pin high about 20 feet from hole.  

First things first, fall golf is the best golf.

More importantly, how did you end up with the DG 120’s? Ball flight on your own admission is high but is it balloon high or moved with a purpose high?

Thanks for the great posts so far.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

19 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Looks like a decent fall day.  How do these yardages compare to your current clubs?  I don't recall from your previous posts but do you have the standard or power spec lofts?  What system are you using to capture the video/shot tracer?  

I have the power spec lofts, because the fitter wanted to try to bring my ball flight down a bit.  These clubs are definitely longer.  It was a cool and breezy day, I wonder what these clubs will do on a warm day.  I can imagine the numbers would only go up.  Not sure I want that.  It is funny you ask about the system I am using...it's my Iphone sitting on the edge of the golf cart.  My buddy couldn't play today so I had to improvise.  That is why it took so long from video start to hit the ball.  Sorry about that.   

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

19 minutes ago, bens197 said:

First things first, fall golf is the best golf.

More importantly, how did you end up with the DG 120’s? Ball flight on your own admission is high but is it balloon high or moved with a purpose high?

Thanks for the great posts so far.

I too love fall golf, however you can tell, my course is tree lined and one thing I hate is losing a ball in the fairway because of leaves.  I was fit into the DG 120's.  I like the feel of a heavy stiff iron.  I don't want to feel any load or flexing in the shaft.  I was put on the Mizuno Swing Optimizer and this was the number one shaft it recommended.  I tried a few others and this one felt the best.  

Now lets talk about ball flight.  With the lower irons 8-wedges I would say the ball flight is balloon high...for me.  I have a steep swing so getting the ball up has never been a problem.  I did hit a shot yesterday with a 9 iron into the wind and the ball looked as if it was coming back towards me.  I struck it solid but just couldn't get it to penetrate through the wind (first time hitting them on the course).  

The long irons (especially the 4 and 5) I absolutely LOVE the ball flight.  This flight was boring through the wind and the ball jumped off the face.  The flight with these two clubs was ideal.  Not too high and not too low.  Just the type where you can't help but smile as you watch it.  

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

14 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I have the power spec lofts, because the fitter wanted to try to bring my ball flight down a bit.  These clubs are definitely longer.  It was a cool and breezy day, I wonder what these clubs will do on a warm day.  I can imagine the numbers would only go up.  Not sure I want that.  It is funny you ask about the system I am using...it's my Iphone sitting on the edge of the golf cart.  My buddy couldn't play today so I had to improvise.  That is why it took so long from video start to hit the ball.  Sorry about that.   

Did your average ball height come down across all clubs - or more so on the low irons?  What iron from your current clubs would you have chosen for that same shot?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I too love fall golf, however you can tell, my course is tree lined and one thing I hate is losing a ball in the fairway because of leaves.  I was fit into the DG 120's.  I like the feel of a heavy stiff iron.  I don't want to feel any load or flexing in the shaft.  I was put on the Mizuno Swing Optimizer and this was the number one shaft it recommended.  I tried a few others and this one felt the best.  
Now lets talk about ball flight.  With the lower irons 8-wedges I would say the ball flight is balloon high...for me.  I have a steep swing so getting the ball up has never been a problem.  I did hit a shot yesterday with a 9 iron into the wind and the ball looked as if it was coming back towards me.  I struck it solid but just couldn't get it to penetrate through the wind (first time hitting them on the course).  
The long irons (especially the 4 and 5) I absolutely LOVE the ball flight.  This flight was boring through the wind and the ball jumped off the face.  The flight with these two clubs was ideal.  Not too high and not too low.  Just the type where you can't help but smile as you watch it.  

I have the same tendency and hit the ball high as well. One thing I’ve kept constant for many years was I played a variation of the traditional DG shafts in either S300, S400 or X100.

I’d like to assume that this would be more like a Project X with a firmer feel top to bottom.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

44 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Did your average ball height come down across all clubs - or more so on the low irons?  What iron from your current clubs would you have chosen for that same shot?  

The ball flight came down, to where it was pleasing to me, in the 4, 5 and 6 irons only.  The 7-GW was sky high.  Now, that being said, my assistant pro loved the ball flight in the lower clubs for me.  I have just always liked seeing a mid ball flight and this could just be me not being used to seeing something hit so incredibly high.  As far as the shot with the 9 iron that seemed to come back towards me, I would have hit a punch 7 normally.  Admittedly so, I did not try to hit a knock down here.  This round I just wanted to hit full swings.  I did not want to try to hit anything fancy my first time out with them.  That will come the next round or two as I become more comfortable with them.

47 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I have the same tendency and hit the ball high as well. One thing I’ve kept constant for many years was I played a variation of the traditional DG shafts in either S300, S400 or X100.

I’d like to assume that this would be more like a Project X with a firmer feel top to bottom.

I am in the DG 120 X100 shaft.  It swings like a board.  Very firm feel and low launching.  In my gammer irons, I am swinging the Nippon Modus 120X.  These are a bit softer and I think I like the feel of the DG better.  

I am in the DG 120 X100 shaft.  It swings like a board.  Very firm feel and low launching.  In my gammer irons, I am swinging the Nippon Modus 120X.  These are a bit softer and I think I like the feel of the DG better.  

I’ll always have an affinity for DG but it’s good to know how these perform for other golfers. I had no idea what to expect when installing a heavier and stouter shaft with a head designed to launch the ball high and straight.

Keep up the quality posts, it’s been fun to follow along.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

I’ll always have an affinity for DG but it’s good to know how these perform for other golfers. I had no idea what to expect when installing a heavier and stouter shaft with a head designed to launch the ball high and straight.

Keep up the quality posts, it’s been fun to follow along.

I have not used them for a long time.  The last set of clubs I had, I was in KBS Tour c-taper and before those was a stock PING shaft.  I am really liking the feel of these though.  I would like to see how the shaft works in my Mizuno's.  I never thought I would be in an X for these so I never considered them.  I always ASSUMED that I should be in a stiff flex.  I went X in the Modus only because they are a but soft so an X in the Modus is like a stiff for everyone else.  

I’m liking these irons and the new specs a lot more. Had a decent iron outing on 9 this morning. The SR shafts are the correct one for me, hate to admit it. Height is acceptable on good strikes and on a couple of shots crazy long.
Tomorrow should get a few shots on a LM.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Now I'm getting both jealous and a little behind. I put the Mizuno irons back in the bag this weekend for a round. I didn't see a noticeable difference in the stats over the Hogans, but my proximity on misses was a little better and I made several up and down pars. The only thing that blew my score up was a couple of wild tee shots with penalties from those. Hoping the Pings arrive soon so I can catch up to you guys on the review.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Now I'm getting both jealous and a little behind. I put the Mizuno irons back in the bag this weekend for a round. I didn't see a noticeable difference in the stats over the Hogans, but my proximity on misses was a little better and I made several up and down pars. The only thing that blew my score up was a couple of wild tee shots with penalties from those. Hoping the Pings arrive soon so I can catch up to you guys on the review.

Seems to be taking a long time for your irons. Hope you get them soon, looking forward to your assessment.

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Seems to be taking a long time for your irons. Hope you get them soon, looking forward to your assessment.

We were told they had to back order the shafts so it might be an extra week or two for shipping. Still crossing my fingers that works out to any day now.

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

We were told they had to back order the shafts so it might be an extra week or two for shipping. Still crossing my fingers that works out to any day now.

That’s what I thought was the problem. Mine were the Alta Sr old fart shafts which are no problem. Hope you get them soon.

Rick

Left Hand, 

10 hours ago, GregB135 said:

The good thing for you is that you live in FL.  In a few weeks for me will be time to put the clubs up for the season.  Hell, they are calling for SNOW here on Friday.  Too soon...too soon.  

Hope you get them soon though, it must be hard watching all the other kids play with their new toys and not you.  

25 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I think the 2’ flat is working.IMG_0317.JPG

I would say so.  How are you liking your ball flight?  

I would say so.  How are you liking your ball flight?  

Good, happy with everything so far. 17’ launch this morning 7i.

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

I think the 2’ flat is working.IMG_0317.JPG

Oh yea!  What is the strike tape product you're using?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:29 PM, GregB135 said:

Still anxiously awaiting delivery. With the shafts on back-order it's taking a bit longer.

Anyway... Stats from what should be my final round before starting testing:

Fairways: 6, GIR:5, Putts: 34, Penalties: 6😡

Improving the GIR number and reducing Penalties are primary goals with the G410s.

Keep the good posts coming fellas, I'll be joining you soon.

Put the Mizunos in the bag for a round on Sunday. Here are the stats for comparison.

Fairways: 4, GIR 5, Putts 32, Penalties 3

Proximity to greens was better with the Mizunos as well as wedge play so I got up and down better. Totalled 9 par or better holes with the Mizuno irons in the bag versus 6 with the Hogans. 3 fewer penalty strokes and fewer putts on better greens were the difference in scoring. 84 Sunday vs. 87 last round with the Hogans. Essentially no scoring difference between the two rounds, but I felt like I hit more better iron shots with the Mizunos than the Hogans.

Looking forward to adding the Pings to the mix to see if that GIR % might improve a bit. (of course, free extra strokes on tee shots don't help there)

Oh yea!  What is the strike tape product you're using?

Only name I could find is “Long Shot”. I like them.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Only name I could find is “Long Shot”. I like them.

I bought them at a local Pro Shop but a quick search found them on Amazon.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I bought them at a local Pro Shop but a quick search found them on Amazon.

I haven't seen those - but I use the 'long shot' driver impact tape which also comes in a roll of 250 labels. I buy it on eBay - they're pretty inexpensive.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I haven't seen those - but I use the 'long shot' driver impact tape which also comes in a roll of 250 labels. I buy it on eBay - they're pretty inexpensive.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

The pkg I get has a mix of irons, driver, hybrid/fareway wood and putter. The putter I double up and use them on irons.
I like the roll, may do that next time.

Rick

Left Hand, 

10 hours ago, Rickp said:

The pkg I get has a mix of irons, driver, hybrid/fareway wood and putter. The putter I double up and use them on irons.
I like the roll, may do that next time.

Seems like the rolls last forever. I just checked my ebay account and I bought my last (driver) roll in 2018. On the range I probably go through 4-5 labels.  Now I use them not only to show the impact but also to minimize scratches from sand on the range balls (we have quite a bit of sand here). Regardless, spending $18. to show impact is a pretty cheap way to get additional yardage. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Looking like my last "planned" round for the season on Sunday.  Starts out pretty frigid but is supposed to warm up a bit and after that we take a nose dive and are in the 30's pretty regularly....

I don't mind the cold but when it's cold and windy that is the worst.

Will be interesting to see how well the ball reacts on colder days.  Unfortunately I've only been able to play 1 round with these but I did shoot a rare "70's" round so that's good.

who knows - maybe we'll have one of those odd warmups.... if not I guess I'll be at the simulator for the winter!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

11 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Looking like my last "planned" round for the season on Sunday.  Starts out pretty frigid but is supposed to warm up a bit and after that we take a nose dive and are in the 30's pretty regularly....

I don't mind the cold but when it's cold and windy that is the worst.

Will be interesting to see how well the ball reacts on colder days.  Unfortunately I've only been able to play 1 round with these but I did shoot a rare "70's" round so that's good.

who knows - maybe we'll have one of those odd warmups.... if not I guess I'll be at the simulator for the winter!

I won't be too far behind you.  I am going to go out tomorrow (temp supposed to be 45 and breezy), Sunday is supposed to be better though and Monday.  After Monday, I'm not sure how much I will get out there either.  

25 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I won't be too far behind you.  I am going to go out tomorrow (temp supposed to be 45 and breezy), Sunday is supposed to be better though and Monday.  After Monday, I'm not sure how much I will get out there either.  

You know this area, I bet we're still good for at least one mild warm up in late November or early December.   Seems like we get that every year before it gets and stays cold. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

21 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

You know this area, I bet we're still good for at least one mild warm up in late November or early December.   Seems like we get that every year before it gets and stays cold. 

That's true...Christmas will be 72.  

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

That's true...Christmas will be 72.  

Occasionally happens here (not quite that high) but sadly courses have closed already....

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C