TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 irons

StrokerAce

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Unfortunately there’s a long answer but I’ll try to keep it simple. On this hole I play the drive on purpose in the left rough to take the water in front and all along the right side of green out of play. Doing this I’m hitting the iron out of light/medium Bermuda rough and trying to hit left front of green and roll ball somewhere near pin, Worked today. 2 of the foursome ended up in the water from the right side of the fareway.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I get it, we have a hole like that on my course.  I am for the rough too, to take water, bunkers and two ditches out of play.  The reason why I asked is because I cannot get more than about 2ft of release with ANY of my clubs.  A few days ago, I hit a 6 iron into a par 5 and had about 2 ft of release to the hole.  I have learned with these clubs I have to hit pretty close to the number. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I get it, we have a hole like that on my course.  I am for the rough too, to take water, bunkers and two ditches out of play.  The reason why I asked is because I cannot get more than about 2ft of release with ANY of my clubs.  A few days ago, I hit a 6 iron into a par 5 and had about 2 ft of release to the hole.  I have learned with these clubs I have to hit pretty close to the number. 

This has been a “relearning experience” (if that makes any sense) with the clubs/fitting. The 4’ lie difference has me changing my swing and ball placement. I’ve lost some height and trying to get some consistency. When I do get solid shots the clubs are really good.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

8 minutes ago, Rickp said:

This has been a “relearning experience” (if that makes any sense) with the clubs/fitting. The 4’ lie difference has me changing my swing and ball placement. I’ve lost some height and trying to get some consistency. When I do get solid shots the clubs are really good.

I agree, the clubs are hot!

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

I’m thinking the 2’ flat may have been a degree too much, or I’m struggling getting used to the change.
I’m going to talk to fitter tomorrow and experiment. Definitely got this Ole Fart interested. Got 1/2 The Villages interested.

Rick

Left Hand, 

On 11/10/2019 at 9:38 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Love those videos.  That app really shows the ball flight well.  I know you purposely hit that first one with a big draw just to show how workable these are and how well the shot tracer works 😛

Which app is that that gives the ball tracer?

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

2 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

Which app is that that gives the ball tracer?

There are a few out there, I have an Apple phone so in the Appstore, I found Shot Tracer and gottaGolf.  I am using gottaGolf.  Works great and it was free.

The 5-6 irons need a bit more work but the 7-Gap are really working out.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Rick

Left Hand, 

I didn’t even notice the difference in Lie Angles, guess I’m getting used to the change.

Rick

Left Hand, 

IMG_0047.jpg.85e09cc913667cd09df48e50c0ced22c.jpg

They're He-eere!!!!

Arrived this morning and we were at the driving range/course within the hour.

Initially warming up it took me a few swings to get the feel for the setup and takeaway with the different lie angle. 

I got out on the course and first hole was a GIR with the U-wedge from about 115. From there it was still a bit of feeling them out but by the time I got to the back 9 I was really comfortable making aggressive full swings.

I'm still adjusting my eye to these at setup with the slightly large club head and a little more offset. It took backing off a couple of shots and verifying the club face was square to the target line and then building my setup from there. Then just believing the setup was square and swinging through.

Ball flight was not noticeably higher than the Hogan or Mizuno sets I'm comparing. My misses today were mostly just hangers out to the right, and only one of my trademark monster hooks.

I was able to sneak that quick warm-up and round in before work so it was a quick first effort. I'll have a chance to give them a more detailed workout later in the week.

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

They're He-eere!!!!
Initially warming up it took me a few swings to get the feel for the setup and takeaway with the different lie angle. 
I got out on the course and first hole was a GIR with the U-wedge from about 115. From there it was still a bit of feeling them out but by the time I got to the back 9 I was really comfortable making aggressive full swings.
I'm still adjusting my eye to these at setup with the slightly large club head and a little more offset. It took backing off a couple of shots and verifying the club face was square to the target line and then building my setup from there. Then just believing the setup was square and swinging through.
Ball flight was not noticeably higher than the Hogan or Mizuno sets I'm comparing. My misses today were mostly just hangers out to the right, and only one of my trademark monster hooks.
I was able to sneak that quick warm-up and round in before work so it was a quick first effort. I'll have a chance to give them a more detailed workout later in the week.

Yea. How much of a difference is there in Lie Angle from your previous clubs?

Rick

Left Hand, 

28 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Yeaemoji106.png. How much of a difference is there in Lie Angle from your previous clubs?

I'll have to re-check the specs but these are 2* upright (Blue dot) and 3/4" longer than standard. The Mizzy set was 1/2" long but I'm pretty sure with standard lie angles. The Hogan set was standard/standard. So the un-researched guess is just 2* more upright.

Early on on the range that meant leaving a lot of shots right. But as I got comfortable with the setup I was hitting just about everything down the line.

Side note and shameless self promotion - if you are looking for courses in the Tampa area to play I've done some reviews in a couple of threads - one for my summer league and I just started another for some of the local courses. Today's round was at Bloomingdale

I'll have to re-check the specs but these are 2* upright (Blue dot) and 3/4" longer than standard. The Mizzy set was 1/2" long but I'm pretty sure with standard lie angles. The Hogan set was standard/standard. So the un-researched guess is just 2* more upright.
Early on on the range that meant leaving a lot of shots right. But as I got comfortable with the setup I was hitting just about everything down the line.
Side note and shameless self promotion - if you are looking for courses in the Tampa area to play I've done some reviews in a couple of threads - one for my summer league and I just started another for some of the local courses. Today's round was at Bloomingdale
[/url]  

My change was from 2’ up to 2’ flat and that 4’ difference was a challenge. Seems to be working OK now.
Have fun

Rick

Left Hand, 

They're He-eere!!!!
Glad to see they finally arrived. That's a nice looking bag you've got there. Go out, have fun, and we can't wait to see how they work out for you!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Keep the reviews coming! I might be able to squeeze another round or two in before the weather gets too bad and the holidays ramp up.  These are definitely on my short list for winter shopping

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

14 hours ago, GregB135 said:

I played Bloomingdale a few years ago when I was in Tampa for a conference. Fun course! Very friendly atmosphere.  Also played TPC Tampa and Rocky Point.  All were very different experiences. All very fun!

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

19 hours ago, GregB135 said:

They're He-eere!!!!

Look who can finally come out and play!!!!  Congrats.  Hope they are everything you were hoping for!  Can't wait to hear.  

@GregB they look beautiful - glad you got them.
@RickP his reviews of area course are spot on, informative and insightful.

Can we shoot for a MGS putting sometime between Christmas and January 4? Perhaps @ World Woods? We could include Foz.

I’d love to see those irons and show off my Ping Long Game stuff as well.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 11/12/2019 at 4:41 AM, GregB135 said:

As Rob put it, the 'blue and white' truck should be arriving some time early this week. (one actually did a drive-by tease while I was waiting in the driveway for a pickup to the golf course yesterday)

I nominate @GregB135as MGS's "Most Patient Member"... hard to believe it's taken this long to receive the new arrows 😕.  

***Update*** you got them!! What happens when you're trying to catch up on a thread.  You still get my nomination 👍.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

[mention=69092]RickP[/mention] his reviews of area course are spot on, informative and insightful.

Can we shoot for a MGS putting sometime between Christmas and January 4? Perhaps @ World Woods? We could include Foz.

Thanks Rev!
I’d love to be part of a MGS outing any time. Let’s try to make it happen. The timing you suggest should work.

On 11/19/2019 at 8:37 AM, gregh729 said:

Keep the reviews coming! I might be able to squeeze another round or two in before the weather gets too bad and the holidays ramp up.  These are definitely on my short list for winter shopping

Make a late fall ride out to CP while i can't play, I'd be happy to be your riding caddie 🙂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

[mention=69092]RickP[/mention] his reviews of area course are spot on, informative and insightful.

Right now that week is good.
SWMBO has Doc appt Dec 4th for another possible procedure and I have consult with Orthopedic Surgeon December 5th to see if I’m getting a brand shiny new knee, Yea!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Played 9 this morning and 45’ @ Tee Time needed long pants!!
First 5 holes nothing worked but last 4 holes Parred out.
The 5-6 irons need “special help” possible range time Saturday. Short irons last 4 holes we’re awesome, decent distance, accuracy and height.
I think I’m only going to play last 4 holes from now on

Rick

Left Hand, 

23 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I nominate @GregB135as MGS's "Most Patient Member"... hard to believe it's taken this long to receive the new arrows 😕

I appreciate that. It really was Ping taking care of the customer though. At the time of the order, they did not have the shafts I was fit for on hand (un-sure if that was a matter of length or just stock). Then, when the shafts arrived, one had a blemish that Ping would not send out to a customer so they had to re-order at least one shaft. It was nice to receive them after the delay. Now I just need to catch up on the review process (SWMBO may not see as much of me for a bit 😜)

I appreciate that. It really was Ping taking care of the customer though. At the time of the order, they did not have the shafts I was fit for on hand (un-sure if that was a matter of length or just stock). Then, when the shafts arrived, one had a blemish that Ping would not send out to a customer so they had to re-order at least one shaft. It was nice to receive them after the delay. Now I just need to catch up on the review process (SWMBO may not see as much of me for a bit )

Decent weather next week

Rick

Left Hand, 

Got in another round yesterday.

Focusing on ball flight here is what I noticed. Still not significantly higher than my other irons. The ball dis seem to hold its peak height a little longer though.
I had a couple of shots in the round that I knew were just flushed and those had about a 1 to 1 1/2 clubs worth of distance gain. I had another couple of shots that just hung out right rather than turning over into my typical draw, and not losing much of the target yardage. Looking at the club on those shots I saw contact out near the toe.
The longer irons did give me a little more hook than draw, at least for now I’ll accuse the increased offset as the culprit (I know the swing has as much guilt to share though).
I’ve got a lesson booked early next week to help fine tune the swing to the lie angle setup.

36 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

Got in another round yesterday.

Focusing on ball flight here is what I noticed. Still not significantly higher than my other irons. The ball dis seem to hold its peak height a little longer though.
I had a couple of shots in the round that I knew were just flushed and those had about a 1 to 1 1/2 clubs worth of distance gain. I had another couple of shots that just hung out right rather than turning over into my typical draw, and not losing much of the target yardage. Looking at the club on those shots I saw contact out near the toe.
The longer irons did give me a little more hook than draw, at least for now I’ll accuse the increased offset as the culprit (I know the swing has as much guilt to share though).
I’ve got a lesson booked early next week to help fine tune the swing to the lie angle setup.

Did you get the power lofts or standard G410 lofts?  I have noticed I am having a hard time too hitting a draw.  The one thing though is these clubs are pretty damn straight!

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

The one thing though is these clubs are pretty damn straight!

Ughh, that's not good. 🙂

1 hour ago, GregB135 said:

I had a couple of shots in the round that I knew were just flushed and those had about a 1 to 1 1/2 clubs worth of distance gain.

My observation as well.  For the first few weeks, I had some extended pauses picking a club from the quiver... whilst I did some math in my head.  Being long more often was a goal I had set prior to getting the G410's - and these have helped.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

4 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Did you get the power lofts or standard G410 lofts?  I have noticed I am having a hard time too hitting a draw.  The one thing though is these clubs are pretty damn straight!

Standard loft profile on mine. There was some tweaking of the shaft choices during the fitting to try to avoid the ball flight getting too high. My normal ball flight is usually a draw/almost hook. A lot of my lesson time has been focusing on path and face control to make it more predictable and to lessen the over-draw tendency. So far I haven't seen a huge change to ball flight with the 410s. I was really impressed though when the toe hit shot that usually results in the weak push about a club short of target carried all the way to the target distance.

Played Friday “Bacon Boys” on one of the toughest Executives.
The trend continued, 5, 6 and even 7 not performing like I’m used to BUT the 8, 9, and wedges are higher and slightly longer.
Going to range over the weekend and pit my previous 6i against the G410 6i.
Tried to get a lesson booked but nothing available for next few weeks with the Snowbird Flock in full form. Hoping to get a cancellation with the Teaching Pro I trust.
Maybe the Lie angle needs adjusting on the longer irons?

Rick

Left Hand,