TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 irons

StrokerAce

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

To your question on ball movement. First in the Testing I had to overcome the 4’ difference in Lie Angle which provided a challenge in just hitting the ball. It drive me nuts that a big mistake was made but the opposite is true. Moving Lie Angle was correct.
Overcoming that problem ball fight is getting better all the time with decent ball strikes in club face is improving.
I was never a big mover of the ball little draw occasionally and slight fade predominant flight.
The G410 for me are dead a$$ straight, 5 thru 7 slight fade and 8 thru PW baby draw.
Hitting low ball stingers easy to do, big fades-draws on demand not easy for me to do with these clubs. They like to go straight.

I didn’t realize we had Steven Spielberg as a Testeremoji16.png That was freaking awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I was reading about the lie angle difference - 4* is intense! I'm glad you are finding it beneficial. I would imagine getting used to the position of your hands at address and impact was a challenge. 

I appreciate the feedback in terms of the workability of the G410. I know these are primarily designed to go straight but I'm glad to hear they are easily knocked down. The right/left doesn't matter nearly as much as that to me. I enjoy working the ball - I am trying to hit a particular shot all the time but having a game improvement club that can be easily knocked down is great. How do they compare to the G400? What is better? Anything worse?

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I was reading about the lie angle difference - 4* is intense! I'm glad you are finding it beneficial. I would imagine getting used to the position of your hands at address and impact was a challenge. 
I appreciate the feedback in terms of the workability of the G410. I know these are primarily designed to go straight but I'm glad to hear they are easily knocked down. The right/left doesn't matter nearly as much as that to me. I enjoy working the ball - I am trying to hit a particular shot all the time but having a game improvement club that can be easily knocked down is great. How do they compare to the G400? What is better? Anything worse?

Can’t say enough about Fitting and trust results.
I can’t really compare clubs due to the 4’ change. My old clubs are now changed to match the G410 so that is next on my agenda. Couldn’t do anything today with 25 mph wind with 35 mph gusts.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

While the discussion is on ball flight, here's an interesting tidbit that came up during my lest lesson and discussion with my coach.

I mentioned initial concerns about ball flight getting 'too high' with the GI design of these irons since I felt like I hit the ball pretty high already. We came back to that idea in the last lesson. I said I had seen a few really high ball flight shots, and then just casually remarked, 'but then again I don't know what a tour player would consider too high..'. That drew a chuckle from my coach.

My lesson this week will be outdoors, so he will get a look at the actual ball flight and we will see if we start working on bringing it down a bit.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

54 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

While the discussion is on ball flight, here's an interesting tidbit that came up during my lest lesson and discussion with my coach.

I mentioned initial concerns about ball flight getting 'too high' with the GI design of these irons since I felt like I hit the ball pretty high already. We came back to that idea in the last lesson. I said I had seen a few really high ball flight shots, and then just casually remarked, 'but then again I don't know what a tour player would consider too high..'. That drew a chuckle from my coach.

My lesson this week will be outdoors, so he will get a look at the actual ball flight and we will see if we start working on bringing it down a bit.

I'm glad you said that about what tour players would consider too high.  I have a buddy that played on the old Nationwide tour and he told me that you can never hit the ball too high, as long as distance is not compromised.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

14 hours ago, golfertrb said:

Well, I've had a lot of iterations of iPhone and I've never produced anything close so perhaps you are being a bit modest 😂🤣

Great answer to all my questions and I look forward to seeing your video reviews. Couple follow-up questions: what is your standard shot? (Shape/flight) Is there a type of shot you tend to need to be able to hit that deviates from your typical shot? If so, what is it and are you finding it difficult? (In other words, if your standard shot is a high draw, do you find yourself needing to flight the ball down due to course conditions?)

That is quite impressive about the toe strike - most people I play with tend to miss on the toe due to being over-the-top from one degree or another. I really like the looks of these and I have several players I could recommend them too. Being able to flight the ball down is an absolute must here in Oklahoma so that is certainly something to consider. Thanks!

I tend to be a pretty solid iron player.  When I am playing my best I will hit a draw as much as possible.  I like to see a mid ball flight as well.  That being said, I DO have a steep swing and I know that contributes to the height I get on my iron shots.  My course, you need to hit everything, draws, fades and straight shots.  It is a pretty tight tree lined course.  There are a few holes though that are notorious at hitting dead into the wind, these are the holes I cannot get the ball to flight down on.  

Would I recommend these clubs to ANYONE that mishits their irons...ABSOLUTELY!  Off center hits are amazing with these things.  They are not too bulky yet they get the job done and allow players to hit a straight shot.  

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

4 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I tend to be a pretty solid iron player.  When I am playing my best I will hit a draw as much as possible.  I like to see a mid ball flight as well.

As a player capable and accustomed to shaping shots, how would you assess the work-ability of the G410s? What I've seen so far is the ball does curve. When I hit a definite hook or slice, that's what the ball does. When I hit what felt like a slight draw or fade that's when the ball seems to want to resist and stay straighter.

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Brutal morning but good for Testing.
Cold, 20 mph wind gusting to 25+. Main objective was how the G410 reacted and they didn’t disappoint. Into the wind able to keep ball low, with the wind clubs got ball up and ride the wind.
The more I play these clubs the better I like them.

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 hour ago, GregB135 said:

As a player capable and accustomed to shaping shots, how would you assess the work-ability of the G410s? What I've seen so far is the ball does curve. When I hit a definite hook or slice, that's what the ball does. When I hit what felt like a slight draw or fade that's when the ball seems to want to resist and stay straighter.

I found them to be harder to work then what I am used to.  Obviously a bad swing is a bad swing and the ball will fly all over the place, regardless of the club.  I found the club wants to fight me a bit when trying to shape shots.  It's not that I couldn't shape them, I just had to really try.   

Ok gang, here we go.  I am trying something a bit different.  I took my trusty cell phone with me and made videos of each section for my review.  I know some people don't want to read paragraph after paragraph.  Now, I am no YouTube star so forgive me.  I did not retake any of the videos and no animals were harmed in the making of these videos.  Hope you like them...if not, I hope you shank your next drive into the woods.  haha

LOOKS:

SOUND AND FEEL:

PERFORMANCE:  

ON COURSE PERFORMANCE:  (I call you all schmucks in this, sorry, this is just used as a general term for all of us)

Miscellaneous:  

PLAY THEM OR TRADE THEM:  

SUMMARY: 

18 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Thank you!  I had a lot of fun doing this and was as shocked as anyone.  I wanted to NOT like these.  I too have the Flash Sub Zero and I hated the sound and feel of that too.  I thought the Titleist TS2 felt WAAAAY better, but when I looked at the numbers, there was no comparison.  Like I mentioned, when I am hitting these next to my Mizuno's, there is no comparison in the feel and sound department, the Mizuno's are unbeatable.  That being said, I will not, on a normal basis, hit these clubs side by side.  If they perform, why not play them no matter what my handicap says.  I have seen the bags of a lot of players, and like many of us do, we size up their clubs.  Meaning, when I see a bag full of blades, I tend to think that player has game.  I have been wrong so many times with this.  I have seen guys that are 20+ handicap with the most beautiful set of Titleist blades and they go out there and hit the ball all over the place.  They will typically say, "they just feel so good!"  Maybe so, but they don't perform for you.  I don't hit the ball in the center all the time so when I do mishit the ball I am not punished with the PING's.  This SCHMUCK likes that!!!!  haha  I can't wait to hit them when it's warmer. 

17 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Ok gang, here we go.  I am trying something a bit different.  I took my trusty cell phone with me and made videos of each section for my review.  I know some people don't want to read paragraph after paragraph.  Now, I am no YouTube star so forgive me.  I did not retake any of the videos and no animals were harmed in the making of these videos.  Hope you like them...if not, I hope you shank your next drive into the woods.  haha

Great job with those videos. I really enjoyed hearing the views from a player at the lower end of the handicap range Ping says these are targeted for, (5 to 15+). As I've trended down a bit this season, I'm now just to the low side of the middle, and I'm also thinking these are probably worth keeping in the bag.

I totally agree with your opinion on the look of the wedges (W/U). A little too bulky to look at over the ball, but when the ball lands at the target yardage I get over it pretty quickly. Same with working the ball. Like we mentioned earlier in the thread, the design of the club makes the ball flight look like it is fighting against the intended curve so to get it to move it feels like you have to overdo it a little. And, if you see a really bad shot, with these, it's the result of a really bad swing.

Cheers, and again, nicely done! I'll try to catch up to you guys and get my review posted this week, maybe next.

38 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

Great job with those videos. I really enjoyed hearing the views from a player at the lower end of the handicap range Ping says these are targeted for, (5 to 15+). As I've trended down a bit this season, I'm now just to the low side of the middle, and I'm also thinking these are probably worth keeping in the bag.

I totally agree with your opinion on the look of the wedges (W/U). A little too bulky to look at over the ball, but when the ball lands at the target yardage I get over it pretty quickly. Same with working the ball. Like we mentioned earlier in the thread, the design of the club makes the ball flight look like it is fighting against the intended curve so to get it to move it feels like you have to overdo it a little. And, if you see a really bad shot, with these, it's the result of a really bad swing.

Cheers, and again, nicely done! I'll try to catch up to you guys and get my review posted this week, maybe next.

It sounds like we like and dislike the same things about these clubs.  Are these clubs the best that I've ever hit...no.  Will this be the last set of irons I ever use...no.  There is room for improvement as far as shape and sound and feel for me (almost everything you look for in an iron, ha), but the face is smoking hot!  I was able to get pretty consistent yardage with no real outliers.  I would like to see these in a more players look and feel.  Maybe that's what the Blueprint Irons are (I don't know since I have never hit them).  I will give them a more thorough chance as the weather gets warmer and if I still like them I will keep them, if I find that in the summer weather they act differently, I will donate them back to the site so another member can give them a spin.    

Great review Ballplayer. Very honest.  These seem like they would be in my wheelhouse. I am an 8 hcp and now that I am almost 60, starting to lose a little distance. I have played a lot of Ping irons in the past, and currently play GI irons, so the clunkiness doesn't bother me. In fact, I prefer it now. 

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

1 minute ago, gregh729 said:

Great review Ballplayer. Very honest.  These seem like they would be in my wheelhouse. I am an 8 hcp and now that I am almost 60, starting to lose a little distance. I have played a lot of Ping irons in the past, and currently play GI irons, so the clunkiness doesn't bother me. In fact, I prefer it now. 

Thank you, I will say I think you will like these.  The face is hot and ball speed was up on these from my Mizuno's.  I would definitely try them out, they may surprise you.   

One thing I want to ask all of the reviewers:

You mentioned the clicky sound. I looked back over the past year at posts about the G410s and several people mentioned the sound and some stopped playing them because of it. 

How do the other reviewers feel about the sound?

You mentioned the clicky sound. I looked back over the past year at posts about the G410s and several people mentioned the sound and some stopped playing them because of it. 

1 minute ago, gregh729 said:

Again, the sound and feel for me was like hitting two rocks together.  Not a fan, BUT sound will not keep me from playing a club(s) that performs well.  

I had a set or irons a few years ago that sounded like those cap pistols we had as a kid. Played great with them, so it didn't bother me. I think it is just the from the extreme weighting and thinner faces on GI irons now. 

LOOKS:
[/url]  
SOUND AND FEEL:

PERFORMANCE:  

ON COURSE PERFORMANCE:  (I call you all schmucks in this, sorry, this is just used as a general term for all of us)

Miscellaneous:  

PLAY THEM OR TRADE THEM:  

SUMMARY: 

Videos came thru but for some reason they multiplied on my phone. Going to view later on laptop.
We seem to agree on quite a bit actually more than I would think based on our age, skill level & handicap.
Good job.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I had no problem with sound.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Head difference G410 v Mizzie.IMG_0439.JPGIMG_0440.JPGIMG_0443.JPG

Rick

Left Hand, 

Spent this morning winding down the testing. Played 9 holes wit a mixture of G410 & Mizzie irons. Both sets are at the new Lie angle of 2’ flat. Not boring anyone with stroke by stroke shots will go to bottom line.
I did not try to to work the ball only straight at the pin.
G410 are dead a$$ straight. They are pin seekers. The Mizzies all had a draw. The Pings are slightly longer and I mean slightly. Carry was about the same from what we could judge with Pings having a bit more rollout.
Fun morning by Ole Farts Testing

Rick

Left Hand, 

It sounds like we like and dislike the same things about these clubs.  Are these clubs the best that I've ever hit...no.  Will this be the last set of irons I ever use...no.  There is room for improvement as far as shape and sound and feel for me (almost everything you look for in an iron, ha), but the face is smoking hot!  I was able to get pretty consistent yardage with no real outliers.  I would like to see these in a more players look and feel.  Maybe that's what the Blueprint Irons are (I don't know since I have never hit them).  I will give them a more thorough chance as the weather gets warmer and if I still like them I will keep them, if I find that in the summer weather they act differently, I will donate them back to the site so another member can give them a spin.    

I’m pretty sure the next release from Ping should be the i series irons. I gamed the i10 for several years and loved them. Maybe we should petition for comparison testing to see whether I’m the G410 or i410? Is better for the lower handicap range

Spent this morning winding down the testing. Played 9 holes wit a mixture of G410 & Mizzie irons. Both sets are at the new Lie angle of 2’ flat. Not boring anyone with stroke by stroke shots will go to bottom line.
I did not try to to work the ball only straight at the pin.
G410 are dead a$$ straight. They are pin seekers. The Mizzies all had a draw. The Pings are slightly longer and I mean slightly. Carry was about the same from what we could judge with Pings having a bit more rollout.
Fun morning by Ole Farts Testing

The Mizzies start with a 61* lie angle, the G410 with 61.5*. That extra half degree flat MAY not be the culprit for the additional draw, but it would have a slight affect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I'm glad you said that about what tour players would consider too high.  I have a buddy that played on the old Nationwide tour and he told me that you can never hit the ball too high, as long as distance is not compromised.  

Outdoor lesson turned into an impromptu 9 holes with coach before lesson tee. The A swing wasn’t with me but had some good back and forth during the round (it wasn’t a playing lesson). Hit an 8 iron that was higher than my normal ball flight. I asked whether he thought it was too high and his reply was ‘not for an 8’.

The takeaway from that is most of us amateurs probably don’t hit the ball high enough. More of us than may want to admit it could benefit from the added height of a GI design like the G410. I have hit several shots with these that I though ‘oops, too high’ only to see the ball hold the peak height and drop on or past the expected yardage.

13 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

I’m pretty sure the next release from Ping should be the i series irons. I gamed the i10 for several years and loved them. Maybe we should petition for comparison testing to see whether I’m the G410 or i410? Is better for the lower handicap range emoji12.png

I think that is a FANTASTIC idea!!!!!  I'm sure the readers want to see that...and who are we to disappoint. 

On 12/2/2019 at 10:54 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

I found the club wants to fight me a bit when trying to shape shots.  It's not that I couldn't shape them, I just had to really try. 

This is what I'm noticing as well.  I'm not much of a draw/fade player but was able to produce both with my PE2's (fade easier than draw).  With the G410's, it seems I have to accentuate stance and swing a bit more to produce these shots - and even then they tend to be less pronounced. 

Designing an iron that is forgiving at keeping off hits straight, allows easy draw/fade and trajectory shots, and looks like the PING Blueprints, is the holy grail.  The quest continues 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

This is what I'm noticing as well.  I'm not much of a draw/fade player but was able to produce both with my PE2's (fade easier than draw).  With the G410's, it seems I have to accentuate stance and swing a bit more to produce these shots - and even then they tend to be less pronounced. 
Designing an iron that is forgiving at keeping off hits straight, allows easy draw/fade and trajectory shots, and looks like the PING Blueprints, is the holy grail.  The quest continues .

The qualities of not being able to work the ball easily may be intentional(can’t speak for Ping). Most of my age group, 65-80 years old are looking for just that, dead straight even when miss hit. I still prefer some movement, but straight still still works for recreational & senior players.

Rick

Left Hand,