Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 irons

StrokerAce

3 hours ago, Rickp said:

The qualities of not being able to work the ball easily may be intentional(can’t speak for Ping). Most of my age group, 65-80 years old are looking for just that, dead straight even when miss hit. I still prefer some movement, but straight still still works for recreational & senior players.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Without a doubt, these are designed for all but the tail ends of the bell curve.  It's where both the need and the market is.  But, we rarely hear our fellow golfers say "I want a large/shovel looking club".... and why PING and the other OEM's keep trying to design what the vast majority want.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Also got out and played a few days ago on a day where most Floridians would say it was too cold and windy (60 degrees with winds up to 20mph) But I had a golf buddy visiting from out of town, and irons to test. I had been concerned about ball flight control and hitting the ball too high. Here's what the G410s had to say....

G410trio.jpg.609a9bd3b5b66c27dcc520453ac4bfe2.jpg

We chose the shorter yardage to play because of the wind. I had several opportunities for approach shots into the wind. Rather than play a full swing I did what I normally do into stronger winds which is adjust to more of a punch or knockdown shot setup back in the stance a bit with a choked down 3/4 swing intended for about 70 percent of that club's normal distance. The G410s had no problem with that producing a lower, penetrating ball flight and every one of those shots was on the money (I know... right?) I also had a couple of down wind shots where pulling the club from the bag was 'I can't believe I'm pulling this for that yardage'. Full, aggressive swing, and the ball goes soaring down range and each time pin level yardage. Wind aided or not 165 from an 8 iron is a monster shot for me. By the end of the round I had an on the number 83, one of my lowest rounds of the year.

While shaping shots is still a different matter, these will play along when you are trying to control trajectory.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

This is what I'm noticing as well.  I'm not much of a draw/fade player but was able to produce both with my PE2's (fade easier than draw).  With the G410's, it seems I have to accentuate stance and swing a bit more to produce these shots - and even then they tend to be less pronounced. 

Designing an iron that is forgiving at keeping off hits straight, allows easy draw/fade and trajectory shots, and looks like the PING Blueprints, is the holy grail.  The quest continues 🙂.

Having never hit the Blueprint irons, I would imagine that is the one that I would play if I had to spend my money on them.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Having never hit the Blueprint irons, I would imagine that is the one that I would play if I had to spend my money on them.  

The Blueprint irons look great but I think the days of a Players iron has past me by.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

10 minutes ago, Rickp said:

The Blueprint irons look great but I think the days of a Players iron has past me by.

I refuse to let "the old man in".  Still holding out hope I can find a forged arrow that I can play. 🙂

I refuse to let "the old man in".  Still holding out hope I can find a forged arrow that I can play. 

Went to Doc this morning found out the old man is me!

Rick

Left Hand, 

I want easy, point and shoot.  That's why I have always liked Ping, going back to my Eye2 in the early 80s.  Just like that old TV commercial with the Easy Button

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

2 hours ago, gregh729 said:

I want easy, point and shoot.  That's why I have always liked Ping, going back to my Eye2 in the early 80s.  Just like that old TV commercial with the Easy Button

If you want point and shoot, I think we would all say that these are for you!  They are without a doubt the straightest irons I have ever hit.  Just pick your number and swing away, no thinking needed.  

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

If you want point and shoot, I think we would all say that these are for you!  They are without a doubt the straightest irons I have ever hit.  Just pick your number and swing away, no thinking needed.  

The G410 want to go straight, that’s what they’re designed to do and they deliver.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I've got one more lesson this afternoon. Probably another range session or maybe two. Scramble tournament on Saturday. After that I should be ready to crank out the final review. This has been a fun test and a gun group to interact with.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

On 12/10/2019 at 9:59 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

no thinking needed.  

My wife once told me that thinking isn't one of my strong points.

21 hours ago, gregh729 said:

My wife once told me that thinking isn't one of my strong points.

I would say that statement could go for most men on here.  haha

I've refrained from making this post up until this point because I wanted to see what our testers would find.  I demo'd the 410's last spring when I was being fit as a part of the Ping long game testing.  I came away underwhelmed and disappointed.  Even though the lofts were stronger I carried my G30 7 iron significantly longer than the 410.  My G30 also felt and sounded better.  Granted it has an aftermarket fitted shaft so this may be as much an argument for fitting trumping slightly advanced technology as much as anything else. 

However, IMO the 410 is a step back for Ping.  It looks a bit better than other clubs in the G line but if I were that concerned about looks I'd bite the bullet, play something gamier and waste, I mean spend all of my available practice time with it so that I could actually use it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've refrained from making this post up until this point because I wanted to see what our testers would find.  I demo'd the 410's last spring when I was being fit as a part of the Ping long game testing.  I came away underwhelmed and disappointed.  Even though the lofts were stronger I carried my G30 7 iron significantly longer than the 410.  My G30 also felt and sounded better.  Granted it has an aftermarket fitted shaft so this may be as much an argument for fitting trumping slightly advanced technology as much as anything else. 

However, IMO the 410 is a step back for Ping.  It looks a bit better than other clubs in the G line but if I were that concerned about looks I'd bite the bullet, play something gamier and waste, I mean spend all of my available practice time with it so that I could actually use it.

Interesting take but not overly surprised. You’re I believe 10 years or so younger than me and a much better (and healthy) player than me. I had a 75 year old Buddy of mine hit the G410 and he was dead straight on his shots, not much longer though.
I took the midsize grip off the 8iron and replaced it with standard grip. Just a bit of an experiment to see if I can draw the ball any easier or at all. I have “Bacon Boys” Friday and a good test for it Monday and then I’m done.
Thanks for our input Rev.

Rick

Left Hand, 

3 hours ago, revkev said:

I agree with you on the sound and feel!  I hate both.  I have also heard that they don't feel as good as even last years g400, but I cannot say since the last PING iron I hit was the G10's years ago.  Distance wise, these were longer than my Mizuno's but again, I attribute that to the stronger lofts in the PINGS.  What did I like then about these clubs...I liked that I hit them dead straight without having to do much.  I also liked the performance on off center strikes.  I don't lose much here at all which is remarkable!   I plan on keeping them through the winter and into the spring so I can see how I like them as the temps become warmer.  If the feel doesn't improve then I will offer them out to another member of MGS.  Again, like I said, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the feel and sound of my Mizuno's.  

Interesting take but not overly surprised. You’re I believe 10 years or so younger than me and a much better (and healthy) player than me. I had a 75 year old Buddy of mine hit the G410 and he was dead straight on his shots, not much longer though.
I took the midsize grip off the 8iron and replaced it with standard grip. Just a bit of an experiment to see if I can draw the ball any easier or at all. I have “Bacon Boys” Friday and a good test for it Monday and then I’m done.
Thanks for our input Rev.

I would think that these clubs are a huge upgrade for any number of player types in terms of performance. My point is that while they address an issue for Ping or any other GI line of clubs - appearance, they aren’t necessarily an improvement over past offerings in that category,

Also I have an unusual swing profile (shallow attack angle) which means that I get better results with a bit more loft rather than less. I also prefer a lighter shaft in my irons than Ping is offering in the 410.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I slide out of work early and went to 2nd Swing on the way home. It was only an hour out of the way 🙄

Hit the 410s with the stock shaft. I actually loved the heavier shaft. Feel was pretty standard for a cast club. Distances were good, comparable to my Steelhead XRs. I really liked them. I also hit the Apex 19 and AP1. I loved the look of the Apex but not the forgiveness. i was more impressed with the AP1 than I thought I would be.

I am an old Ping guy though, so the 410s have my interest

How are all of you finding the performance of these irons in wet conditions? A lot has been discussed on the internet show how the Hydropearl 2.0 retains spin in their wedges and I wonder if any of you have noticed a performance boost.

Also, how's the finish holding up? I remember the G700 review from last year and how those beautiful clubs marked up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

How are all of you finding the performance of these irons in wet conditions? A lot has been discussed on the internet show how the Hydropearl 2.0 retains spin in their wedges and I wonder if any of you have noticed a performance boost.

Also, how's the finish holding up? I remember the G700 review from last year and how those beautiful clubs marked up.

I haven’t found any difference in performance between wet or dry conditions. As far as finish it’s holding up great, no problems at all with the Hydropearl plate.
I remember the finish problems with G700 Test but not with these irons.

Rick

Left Hand, 

That's great to hear, thank you! I'm glad to hear they're not getting the scuff marks that the previous generation developed. I'm curious, with Ping rolling out water repelling finishes and the buzz around it if other brands will look into doing the same.

That's great to hear, thank you! I'm glad to hear they're not getting the scuff marks that the previous generation developed. I'm curious, with Ping rolling out water repelling finishes and the buzz around it if other brands will look into doing the same.

I’m not sure what the “Hydropearl finish” really is. Dull nickel over Copper flash ? Maybe someone on this site knows. All I can tell is so far it’s holding up great.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I can't really comment on the finish, I don't feel like I have enough rounds with them to say.  It's cold and snowy now so I have put them up for awhile.  

On 12/2/2019 at 11:14 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

Ok gang, here we go.  I am trying something a bit different.  I took my trusty cell phone with me and made videos of each section for my review.  I know some people don't want to read paragraph after paragraph.  Now, I am no YouTube star so forgive me.  I did not retake any of the videos and no animals were harmed in the making of these videos.  Hope you like them...if not, I hope you shank your next drive into the woods.  haha

LOOKS:

SOUND AND FEEL:

PERFORMANCE:  

ON COURSE PERFORMANCE:  (I call you all schmucks in this, sorry, this is just used as a general term for all of us)

Miscellaneous:  

PLAY THEM OR TRADE THEM:  

SUMMARY: 

Wow, awesome job... a new standard for reviews has been set!  (But don't hold your breath for us old cats trying to copy 😉) Based on the first few videos, I would have bet money you were not going to chose to keep/play these.  I think you are spot on that the low single digit players who have been playing forged irons will not like these.  I also think you represent that break point (skill level) where choosing these over blades is challenging... and where ego frequently wins out over the better choice.  Your comments about workability (or lack thereof) is interesting.  We often hear from the low digit players how important this attribute is to them.  I agree that the need for workability on most days and on most courses is not that critical.  I mean lets be honest, if the irons are keeping your balls on the short grass, how often are power draws and fades needed?  I would say the inability to hit these irons down presents more problems.  I have to really press forward and stance forward to keep these under a tree line (punch out shot).  With regards to little or no yardage penalty on off hits, that's exactly what I find too.  I just finished a fitting test at a PING Demo comparing my G410's to the i210's, i500's, and Blueprints.  Off hits on those were, in that order, increasingly worse in lost yardage...the BP's crazy bad.

I'd be curious how you would like the i500's.  Of the three irons I tested, I hit this one the best but it really offered little gain in yardage and only a little more workable - but I think that's more my skill set limitation. I played with Chris @Thin2winthis past summer at our NW Spy Event and he was working his set left and right nicely.  You might check with him about them as I think you have similar games. Now that PING has lured you in 😁, a fitting to see how the others compare to the G410's would be interesting.

4 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Wow, awesome job... a new standard for reviews has been set!  (But don't hold your breath for us old cats trying to copy 😉) Based on the first few videos, I would have bet money you were not going to chose to keep/play these.  I think you are spot on that the low single digit players who have been playing forged irons will not like these.  I also think you represent that break point (skill level) where choosing these over blades is challenging... and where ego frequently wins out over the better choice.  Your comments about workability (or lack thereof) is interesting.  We often hear from the low digit players how important this attribute is to them.  I agree that the need for workability on most days and on most courses is not that critical.  I mean lets be honest, if the irons are keeping your balls on the short grass, how often are power draws and fades needed?  I would say the inability to hit these irons down presents more problems.  I have to really press forward and stance forward to keep these under a tree line (punch out shot).  With regards to little or no yardage penalty on off hits, that's exactly what I find too.  I just finished a fitting test at a PING Demo comparing my G410's to the i210's, i500's, and Blueprints.  Off hits on those were, in that order, increasingly worse in lost yardage...the BP's crazy bad.

I'd be curious how you would like the i500's.  Of the three irons I tested, I hit this one the best but it really offered little gain in yardage and only a little more workable - but I think that's more my skill set limitation. I played with Chris @Thin2winthis past summer at our NW Spy Event and he was working his set left and right nicely.  You might check with him about them as I think you have similar games. Now that PING has lured you in 😁, a fitting to see how the others compare to the G410's would be interesting.

Thank you for the comments!  I tried the video thing because I know at times, I have tried to read reviews only to find that I drift off (probably more my fault than the writers).  Like I said in the video, I did not want to like these and for the most part...I don't like them.  So many of us golfers are feel players, and I would say I am too, however I am trying something a bit different this time around.  I am strictly basing my clubs off of numbers.  I will get used to the "feel" of any club after I hit it enough times.  I hate how my Epic Flash Sub Zero feels, however I murder that club.  I put that driver up against every other driver out there and numbers wise nothing came close.  Now, I hit the driver and don't think twice.  When I first got it though, there was some second guessing going on.  Just like these PING's, currently  I am contemplating them because of the "feel".  The numbers didn't lie, I hit a lot more GIR with them so why move past them?!  

As far as workability, I prefer to hit a straight shot.  I CAN work the ball a bit if I need to, but most shots are straight so why not play the irons that hit the ball the straightest?  I hope also, I didn't offend anyone by calling out ego's, I just know with me, being honest, I THINK I am better then what I really am.  Why would I want these irons, they are game improving irons and I am a 5 handicap so I am good right?!......WRONG!  I toe shots, hit fat shots,  worm burners, slices, pulls you name it.  If these can help when I do mishit, why not give myself the advantage.  I don't care about the brands, and I am not loyal to one brand over another.  I am loyal to improving my scores and dropping my handicap as low as I can get it.  If the numbers work, then it goes in my bag!  That's my strategy for this year or two.  

I would love to hit the other PING irons, but nobody in my area carries PING.  I had to travel a ways to get fit for these.  I would love to be able to do the i500 and BluePrint and the 410's head to head to give an honest comparison.  I am game if somebody would want to set that up.  (Bueller....Bueller...?)  Again, thanks for the comments, I love to hear feedback good or bad.  

@ballplayer - insightful post - a must read one if shooting the lowest score possible is your goal!

Thanks

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I’m not sure what the “Hydropearl finish” really is. Dull nickel over Copper flash ? Maybe someone on this site knows. All I can tell is so far it’s holding up great.

I’ve been thinking about the Hydropearl Finish and some comments. I’m sure it’s nickel with some additives, I’m thinking Teflon because it is slippery and not too shiny.

Rick

Left Hand, 

3 hours ago, revkev said:

@ballplayer - insightful post - a must read one if shooting the lowest score possible is your goal!

Thanks

Thanks @revkev

On 12/15/2019 at 5:41 PM, Rickp said:

PING is not telling... I asked.  They only revealed that the 2.0 replaced the 1.0 version to address some shortcomings with discoloration.  I'm pretty sure most of the irons with the Hydroperal finish are 400 series stainless steel (431 alloy specifically). I suspect it is a chemical passivation with possibly a PVD coating - a satin nickel color.  With respect to wear, I'm already seeing some small scratches on my 9i that show a slight copper tone as compared to the surrounding finish.  While the look and hydrophobic properties of the Hydroperal Finish are nice, they do not wear as well as the alloy and finish process of the early year Eyes and i-Blades (IMHO).  Those, seemingly, are made using the material and methods of Captain America's shield - virtually indestructible.

PING is not telling... I asked.  They only revealed that the 2.0 replaced the 1.0 version to address some shortcomings with discoloration.  I'm pretty sure most of the irons with the Hydroperal finish are 400 series stainless steel (431 alloy specifically). I suspect it is a chemical passivation with possibly a PVD coating - a satin nickel color.  With respect to wear, I'm already seeing some small scratches on my 9i that show a slight copper tone as compared to the surrounding finish.  While the look and hydrophobic properties of the Hydroperal Finish are nice, they do not wear as well as the alloy and finish process of the early year Eyes and i-Blades (IMHO).  Those, seemingly, are made using the material and methods of Captain America's shield - virtually indestructible.

I didn’t give PVD a thought but maybe.
From what I’ve been told stainless needs a copper flash for plating to adhere properly.
I personally didn’t care for PVD on the Mills putters I had, had a tendency to flake.
Anyway so far the G410’s holding up OK. Also my area of Florida is sand with a lot more sand covered with Bermuda.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Just saw on Golfwrx they rated the PING g410 irons as one of: 

The easiest to launch

&

Best for pure enjoyment