TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 irons

StrokerAce

I played a round yesterday, first round in a month and shot a 76.  I played mostly the G410's while substituting a few of my Mizuno's in there here and there.  I have to say, I still can't say 100% that I like them.  The wedges are too big and chunky, the feel still in harsh and the sound still sounds like hitting two rocks together.  I may be having "buyers" remorse, I don't know.  Don't get me wrong, the clubs performed as expected but I don't know if I can get over the sound and feel. 
I will say that the PING's are 2* upright while my Mizuno's are standard.  I am going tomorrow to get my Mizuno's bent 2* upright for a closer comparison.  I really WANT to love these irons but I just can't seem to settle on them.  I absolutely love the forgiveness of them and the hot face that PING has designed, however can I find that in a better players iron such as the Mizuno MP/JPX range or the TM 790 or the Titleist T100, maybe the Callaway Apex.  I would like to feel or try the Blueprint as well.  Maybe the answer for me is a mixed set.  I'm just not sold on these yet. 

My last 2 outings I used the Mizuno 919 Hot Metal which are now 2’ flat to match the G410’s. There is no doubt I prefer the Mizzies. The Mizzies are slightly less distance but feel, looks and being able to draw the shot (occasionally) is a big deal for me.
The G410s will be back in play for next week but I think they’re going to be a backup.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 hours ago, Rchang said:

I remember a TXG video comparing blade vs game improvement iron. One thing they mentioned was club head drooping more with GI than the blade because of the toe weight of the GI heads. Which means requisite lie angle might be different for the G410 vs your Mizunos. Might be best to test before just changing the angle. 

Interesting info.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

12 hours ago, Rchang said:

I remember a TXG video comparing blade vs game improvement iron. One thing they mentioned was club head drooping more with GI than the blade because of the toe weight of the GI heads. Which means requisite lie angle might be different for the G410 vs your Mizunos. Might be best to test before just changing the angle. 

good video, these guys have so much knowledge.  I have watched them before and they are just so good with explaining things. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

So I went today to a fitter, and I hit some shots today with my Mizuno's and we also used the lie board.  I did need to go 2 up so we bent them.  I also hit a bunch of shots with the PING's and compared them to the Mizuno's with the new lie angle.  The numbers were almost identical, and my draw came back.  The PING's had on average about 120 more rev's.  Ball speed was almost dead on (swing speed was the same with both clubs).  I explained my situation with looks, sound and feel etc and he simply said, use the Mizuno's.  With the numbers being so close to each other, use the ones that look sound and feel better...that would be the Mizuno's. 

Now here is where I really messed up.  I hit the Titleist AP2's and the MP20's..........OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!  I wanted to hit the T100's but they didn't have any demo's to hit.  The AP2's felt a bit harder then my Mizuno's but the MP20's, the MP20's felt like a pair of warm fuzzy socks on a cold winters morning.  They just felt so right!!!!  I should have never picked those damn things up.  Now, I am craving them. 

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

1 minute ago, ballplayer002003 said:

So I went today to a fitter, and I hit some shots today with my Mizuno's and we also used the lie board.  I did need to go 2 up so we bent them.  I also hit a bunch of shots with the PING's and compared them to the Mizuno's with the new lie angle.  The numbers were almost identical, and my draw came back.  The PING's had on average about 120 more rev's.  Ball speed was almost dead on (swing speed was the same with both clubs).  I explained my situation with looks, sound and feel etc and he simply said, use the Mizuno's.  With the numbers being so close to each other, use the ones that look sound and feel better...that would be the Mizuno's. 

Now here is where I really messed up.  I hit the Titleist AP2's and the MP20's..........OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!  I wanted to hit the T100's but they didn't have any demo's to hit.  The AP2's felt a bit harder then my Mizuno's but the MP20's, the MP20's felt like a pair of warm fuzzy socks on a cold winters morning.  They just felt so right!!!!  I should have never picked those damn things up.  Now, I am craving them. 

My experience in the handful of fittings and demo trials is that the one that felt like fuzzy socks last week felt like damp socks the following week.  Hit them at least a couple of times to see if the magic is real.  Last spring the i500's were meh... last month they were great.  Too bad custom sets can't be leased for a reasonable amount with an option to buy.

3 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

My experience in the handful of fittings and demo trials is that the one that felt like fuzzy socks last week felt like damp socks the following week.  Hit them at least a couple of times to see if the magic is real.  Last spring the i500's were meh... last month they were great.  Too bad custom sets can't be leased for a reasonable amount with an option to buy.

The place I went to offers a 45 day trial when you buy a set, then if you don't like them after the 45 days they will give you a store credit.  Being in Delaware, 45 days puts me into pretty damn cold days, so I have this winter to decide what I want to do.  I did chuckle at the damp socks...everyone hates those...haha

[/url]  

Thanks for posting this, great video.
I always liked their videos and observations/comments plus were posters here a while back.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Nice reviews guys - I witnessed GregB’s game and he was spot on accurate in his assessment of how he plays and the irons perform. I took a couple of swings with them on the range as well.

I will be interested to see whose remain in the bag and whose come out this spring.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

13 hours ago, revkev said:

I will be interested to see whose remain in the bag and whose come out this spring.

As I'm thinking about getting ready for the league season to start (usually end of March) I put the Mizuno JPX 850 Forged set back in the bag for now. I'll get a few more rounds in with those before I decide if a change is worth it. I made the switch after playing another round earlier this week with only 5 GIR. If the whole idea of the G410 irons was the forgiveness factor would help me drive that stat up, they fell short of the goal. Losing distance, especially from the wedges, was another down mark for me. 

Of note, I went in to Golftec for a driver fitting today. End result, was nothing on the shelf performed better than the one in the bag. Then we took a look at they hybrid, and there is a new G410 hybrid on order. Saw a gain of about 15 yards with good height and descent angle over the Hogan hybrid that has been the gamer. 

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

As I'm thinking about getting ready for the league season to start (usually end of March) I put the Mizuno JPX 850 Forged set back in the bag for now. I'll get a few more rounds in with those before I decide if a change is worth it. I made the switch after playing another round earlier this week with only 5 GIR. If the whole idea of the G410 irons was the forgiveness factor would help me drive that stat up, they fell short of the goal. Losing distance, especially from the wedges, was another down mark for me. 
Of note, I went in to Golftec for a driver fitting today. End result, was nothing on the shelf performed better than the one in the bag. Then we took a look at they hybrid, and there is a new G410 hybrid on order. Saw a gain of about 15 yards with good height and descent angle over the Hogan hybrid that has been the gamer. 

Does it create a gapping issue with your longest iron or fairway wood?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Was it by chance or by design that 3 of 4 testers were gaming Mizuno's?  Even GolfSpy Stroker mentioned in an early post that the Mizunos he had recently test hit were high on his like list. It's sounding like none of the three testers who have completed the review are committed to playing the G410's; and more likely going back to their Mizunos.  This dosen't surprise me all that much considering that I was literally on the fence between the G410's and the JPX900's... the data so close that only my familiarity with PING won the day.

19 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Was it by chance or by design that 3 of 4 testers were gaming Mizuno's?  Even GolfSpy Stroker mentioned in an early post that the Mizunos he had recently test hit were high on his like list. It's sounding like none of the three testers who have completed the review are committed to playing the G410's; and more likely going back to their Mizunos.  This dosen't surprise me all that much considering that I was literally on the fence between the G410's and the JPX900's... the data so close that only my familiarity with PING won the day.

Pure Coincidence.  They were selected on their reputation and history on the site.   We rarely if ever will pick testers based on current clubs.   

We want the reviewers to focus on the review clubs and do they perform in the way the OEM promotors them.  

A head to head comparison is up to the tester if he or she thinks it provides useful info firctbf. Community.  But we don't ask for it. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

4 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Pure Coincidence.  They were selected on their reputation and history on the site.   We rarely if ever will pick testers based on current clubs.   

We want the reviewers to focus on the review clubs and do they perform in the way the OEM promotors them.  

A head to head comparison is up to the tester if he or she thinks it provides useful info firctbf. Community.  But we don't ask for it. 

I figured as much, but given the coincidence, had to ask.  I think the results are showing just how close many of these major OEM's are in their product lines.  Also, I really like the head to head comparisons as, for me, it provides a valuable dimension to the review.

6 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I figured as much, but given the coincidence, had to ask.  I think the results are showing just how close many of these major OEM's are in their product lines.  Also, I really like the head to head comparisons as, for me, it provides a valuable dimension to the review.

It also speaks to the fact that Mizuno irons are a favorite of MGS Readers.  

It's probably not a coincidence that a lot of members have Mizuno, PING and Evnroll in their bags and all three of those companies have won Most Wanted Categories in the last couple years.  

And to think other websites have rely on contest for free clubs as opposed to unbiased testing.  

I think that speaks well of the trust our members have in both forum reviews and Most Wanted Testings. 

I read hundreds of comments the pp AST few days on FB and IG from golfers who said they don't buy a club without checking an article or MWT results.   All were in relation to the ESPN article. 

Sorry for the brief off topic editorial.  😎

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I read hundreds of comments the pp AST few days on FB and IG from golfers who said they don't buy a club without checking an article or MWT results.

That's how I found my way to MGS... researching irons.  Stumbled on one of the Most Wanted Testing and then onto the forum.  Now I alway include the product and MGS in the search field 😀.

That is a coincidence. MGS didn’t know at that time I was whacking the Mizzies around.
G410’s are very good clubs but so are Mizuno’s. Going forward I can see both sets seeing play time and Mizzies seeing a action that the Pings.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I agree, the PING's are such a nice club that I think MOST golfers could benefit from.  Like I said in my one video, I didn't loose much distance with the 410's on off center strikes and I think that in-itself is worth a look.  #fixyurdivot, what do you think of the PING's?  I would love to hear your opinion.

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I agree, the PING's are such a nice club that I think MOST golfers could benefit from.  Like I said in my one video, I didn't loose much distance with the 410's on off center strikes and I think that in-itself is worth a look.  #fixyurdivot, what do you think of the PING's?  I would love to hear your opinion.

This was my review on the G410's.  In nutshell, a definite improvement over my PE2's; both in distance and dispersion.  I also find them straighter and more forgiving on off center strikes.  This is what PING advertises about them and that is exactly what they do for me. After a handful of rounds, I established a good feel for yardages and I really like the ball flight with the AWT 2.0 shafts. 

I think the challenge in fitting/testing irons is that we generally only hit 7i's with no idea whether the rest of the clubs will flight the ball as well.  My scoring has dropped a couple strokes since acquiring them and also upgrading my driver and fw woods.  But since retiring, I am playing lots more than before and that is as likely responsible.  For now they stay in the bag until a player category club pushes them out.  I'm 99% certain my goal of getting to a single digit HC lies in improved pitching and putting - so that is my focus area now.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:40 PM, fixyurdivot said:

This was my review on the G410's.  In nutshell, a definite improvement over my PE2's; both in distance and dispersion.  I also find them straighter and more forgiving on off center strikes.  This is what PING advertises about them and that is exactly what they do for me. After a handful of rounds, I established a good feel for yardages and I really like the ball flight with the AWT 2.0 shafts. 

I think the challenge in fitting/testing irons is that we generally only hit 7i's with no idea whether the rest of the clubs will flight the ball as well.  My scoring has dropped a couple strokes since acquiring them and also upgrading my driver and fw woods.  But since retiring, I am playing lots more than before and that is as likely responsible.  For now they stay in the bag until a player category club pushes them out.  I'm 99% certain my goal of getting to a single digit HC lies in improved pitching and putting - so that is my focus area now.

Sounds about right!  I agree, the single digit world lies in the short game. 

On 1/10/2020 at 5:37 PM, revkev said:

Does it create a gapping issue with your longest iron or fairway wood?

Actually with an adjustment it got me a getter spread up from the 4 iron and reduced the gap down from 3 wood. My  Hogan was only about a 7 yard gap up from the 4 iron so I used it more from the tee or rough and the 4 iron from the fairway for similar distance.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

One of the guys from Canada we play with here in Yuma was fitted and purchased the G410's last spring.  He opted for the CB Alta shafts - mid 60's but has a pretty powerful swing.  He has always been a chronic fade ball (dare I say power slice) player; which often caused him problems.  I'm really amazed how well he is hitting these irons and the power slice is pretty much gone.  No lessons and dosen't play very much away from Yuma as they are wheat farmers in a fairly remote location in Saskatchewan.  I'm giving the nod to the new irons as likely cause... he is as happy as a clam with them.  Just another data point for anyone following the thread and interested in the G410's.

I had a chance to hit them at a 2nd Swing last week.  The numbers were very similar to what I get with my Steelhead XRs. I really liked how they set up behind the ball. I didn't have my clubs with me to do an in-store comparison, but will try to do that on Monday (holiday and wife works = free day). I hit a few other sets and this is still at or near the top

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

I should preface all of this by saying that I am looking for the easiest iron to hit with a good look to me. I turn 60 this year and am not looking at any players clubs anymore. I want point and shoot easy to get the most enjoyment out of my game that I can.  I put my ego away several years ago.  I haven't gotten any better, but I haven't gotten any worse!

Another question - sorry for three posts in a row

Did anyone have the lofts adjusted?  I was thinking of having them adjusted (if I get a set) to match my Steelheads which I had adjusted to match the Apex19 and Titleist AP1s that I was looking at last summer.  It would be a degree to a degree and a half adjustment in the short irons and wedges. Long irons would remain the same.

On 1/14/2020 at 9:02 AM, gregh729 said:

Another question - sorry for three posts in a row

Did anyone have the lofts adjusted?  I was thinking of having them adjusted (if I get a set) to match my Steelheads which I had adjusted to match the Apex19 and Titleist AP1s that I was looking at last summer.  It would be a degree to a degree and a half adjustment in the short irons and wedges. Long irons would remain the same.

These clubs are definitely point and shoot.  I also had my lofts adjusted, my fitter did the power spec lofts, not to gain distance but to try to bring ball flight down a bit.  Didn't work!  I still hit these clubs a mile high. 

Sounds about right!  I agree, the single digit world lies in the short game. 

With all due respect the numbers would disagree with this statement. Ball striking and specifically driving is the biggest differential between each handicap level and then between scratch and pro. The numbers don’t lie. Of course there are outliers within each group but not as many as one might think.

Regardless it is entirely possible that the quickest way for many people to save strokes is in the short game. It’s easier and cheaper to practice - especially for an older player whose body may not be able to do what’s needed to hit the ball longer and more solidly so that shot making improves.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

5 hours ago, revkev said:

With all due respect the numbers would disagree with this statement. Ball striking and specifically driving is the biggest differential between each handicap level and then between scratch and pro. The numbers don’t lie. Of course there are outliers within each group but not as many as one might think.

Regardless it is entirely possible that the quickest way for many people to save strokes is in the short game. It’s easier and cheaper to practice - especially for an older player whose body may not be able to do what’s needed to hit the ball longer and more solidly so that shot making improves.

Yes, the short game is the easiest way to save strokes, and lower the handicap.  If you can't hit a green from 100 yards out or if you can't chip or putt or get out of the sand one will never get into the single digit world.  Don't get me wrong, ball striking is extremely important and obviously the better you can hit the ball the easier the entire game becomes.  Driving though is not the most important in my humble opinion.  I can hit irons and keep driver in the bag and still shoot in the high 70's, low 80's.  There was in interesting video on YouTube where Rick Shiels played a par 5 with just a PW and putter to see if he could par it...(spoiler alert he did).  Was he striking his PW pure, oh I'm sure but it proves the long game is not necessary, it's great to have, but not necessary. 

There was in interesting video on YouTube where Rick Shiels played a par 5 with just a PW and putter to see if he could par it...(spoiler alert he did). 

170+170+170=510. A lot of par 5s are around this length. 3 good irons will get you to an average par 5.

Doesn’t work for par 4s though, you’re gonna need to get down the fairway a bit to give yourself a chance.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Been playing the Mizzies last 3-4 times out and switch to G410 yesterday to continue comparison.
First swing, first hole Par 3 felt a “pop” in surgically repaired shoulder last year. That’s it, no more play in cold weather.
Strangely it was a poorly hit shot and still went straight and made the green.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Was able to get on a simulator yesterday for an hour for the first time in a couple months.

Hit mostly irons - the g410 are about a club longer for me; nice pleasing sound when hitting them but even if you don't center it you still get good distance.

Looking fwd to the snow melt so I can get back out and do my review.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C