Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 irons

StrokerAce

Following the huge success of the G400 irons, PING has hit a home run with the striking black and red colors of this iron, as well as a being a bit more streamlined in all the right places.   PING has achieved the rare feat of providing an iron that has a profile appealing to even the most discerning of golfers, but yet still offering the forgiveness and help that higher handicaps look for. 

Follow along with three forum members who have joined staff member Golfspy_Stroker in testing these G410's built to their custom specs over the next 6-8 weeks as they put the irons in play on the course, at the range and provide ongoing commentary throughout the process.

Ping_G410_irons_review_header_image.jpg

Testing the irons are:

@ballplayer002003     official review

@GregB135     official review

@Rickp     official review

@GolfSpy Stroker     official review

Note: We're trying something a little different with this test and opening it up for comments, questions, answers, discussion both before and after the members receive the product.  Please feel free to pose any and all questions here to the testers and they will do their best to answer them!  And testers - remember to discuss anything and everything here instead of via PM!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Also anxiously awaiting the call for my fitting. 

My current irons were more of an off-the-rack purchase from Hogan, but I did take advantage of their demo program. The Mizuno 850s that were in the bag before these were a full custom fit. Both those irons are more of a player's cavity back than the G410s. 

I am trying to keep an open mind and temper expectations going into the fitting. I will let the fitter do their thing working to find the right combination for me, but I do have some thoughts and questions that I will bring up.

1. I already hit the ball fairly high with my irons, even with the mid-launch loft profile on the Hogan PTx's. I'm worried the high launch engineering in the G410 is going to result in sky high ball flight if we can't configure the right shaft combination.

2. How far down in the set are we being fit to? The lofts on the G410s are even stronger than my Hogan's through the long to mid irons, but match up at PW. If we aren't getting fit to at least UW with these, I'm leery the distance aspect of the G410s will mess with my gapping at the bottom of the bag where it matters more.

3. My normal ball flight is a medium to high slight draw. I did take a look at a set of the G410s during my last walk through of big box store X. While the mid irons looked okay to me, the 5 and especially the 4 iron had A LOT more offset than what I've been playing. I don't want that to turn my slight draw into a monster hook when I need to hit the longer irons.

I played the i10 irons for several years before I bought the Mizzies. They have changed thier fitting matrix since then, but i do have an idea of where I'll probably start out. I went through the nFlight web fitting tool on Ping's website and found something interesting. When I told it I wanted precision from my irons it recommended the i210. Changing that answer to distance I got the G410 recommendation. I will definitely ask the fitter if these are the irons he would put me in if we weren't dedicated to them for the test/review.

It's all gonna be fun!

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

I still can't believe I was selected for this.  There were 45 pages of applicants...45!  When I heard the news I was excited yet in the back of my mind I had a few concerns as well.  My first concern...I L.O.V.E. my Mizuno's and I have been playing really well with them.  Do I compare the Ping's to my Mizuno's, or do I just simply demo them and give my overall feedback?

I am a single digit (6 hcp) golfer in Delaware.  By no means would I consider myself above average, however I feel I hit my irons pretty good!  Most hits are center club face.  I too, hit a mid to high ball flight.  These clubs are billed as a game improving set, will they help me or hurt me?  I mean, we can all use more forgiveness in all of our clubs, can we not?!  Generally, game improving clubs tend to get the ball up in the air quicker.  I don't need this.  Will I be able to flight the ball down when needed?

Lastly, there are two lofts offered, one is more strong.  Why would one want this other than ego?  Hell, do I get these and test them, I hit my long irons well and it would be nice to say I hit a 5 iron 230.  I guess I will let the Ping fitter decide.  Let the games begin!!!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

In case anyone is curious....there are loft options, one of which is a "power spec loft".

I, too, am curious if this will be for me since I already hit a high ball with a lot of spin.

image.png

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

So to all the testers...why specifically are you drawn to test the G410s ?  Is there a particular feature that you think will help your game?  Manufacturer reputation?

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

@mdgolfhacker
My draw was toward the increased forgiveness factor. I tend to be what I would call a decent but not great ball striker. If I can maintain my distances and gapping but get tighter dispersion on iron shots then I’ll start scoring lower.
I’m willing to let the fitter figure out the best shaft combination to manage ball flight and see if these clubs can match Ping’s claims of distance with accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

So to all the testers...why specifically are you drawn to test the G410s ?  Is there a particular feature that you think will help your game?  Manufacturer reputation?

MDGolfHacker

At my age (almost 73) looking at G410’s as a game improvement iron that will, with properly fitted shaft gain height and distance lost with diminished swing speed.
I’m sure Ping will hook us up with great fitters that can get all of us into the correct setup.
We have Execs on every corner (30+) so I can get actual course results with the irons.
Should be a lot of fun and it looks like a good mix of different golfers, age and handicap.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

In case anyone is curious....there are loft options, one of which is a "power spec loft".

I, too, am curious if this will be for me since I already hit a high ball with a lot of spin.
image.thumb.png.9dfd150c94bcf6fc3ece14b54c33cbcb.png

I’m curious about this “Power Loft Spec”. I don’t hit a high ball anymore so maybe this will help me get some height back?

Rick

Left Hand, 

8 hours ago, GregB135 said:

Also anxiously awaiting the call for my fitting. 

My current irons were more of an off-the-rack purchase from Hogan, but I did take advantage of their demo program. The Mizuno 850s that were in the bag before these were a full custom fit. Both those irons are more of a player's cavity back than the G410s. 

I am trying to keep an open mind and temper expectations going into the fitting. I will let the fitter do their thing working to find the right combination for me, but I do have some thoughts and questions that I will bring up.

1. I already hit the ball fairly high with my irons, even with the mid-launch loft profile on the Hogan PTx's. I'm worried the high launch engineering in the G410 is going to result in sky high ball flight if we can't configure the right shaft combination.

2. How far down in the set are we being fit to? The lofts on the G410s are even stronger than my Hogan's through the long to mid irons, but match up at PW. If we aren't getting fit to at least UW with these, I'm leery the distance aspect of the G410s will mess with my gapping at the bottom of the bag where it matters more.

3. My normal ball flight is a medium to high slight draw. I did take a look at a set of the G410s during my last walk through of big box store X. While the mid irons looked okay to me, the 5 and especially the 4 iron had A LOT more offset than what I've been playing. I don't want that to turn my slight draw into a monster hook when I need to hit the longer irons.

I played the i10 irons for several years before I bought the Mizzies. They have changed thier fitting matrix since then, but i do have an idea of where I'll probably start out. I went through the nFlight web fitting tool on Ping's website and found something interesting. When I told it I wanted precision from my irons it recommended the i210. Changing that answer to distance I got the G410 recommendation. I will definitely ask the fitter if these are the irons he would put me in if we weren't dedicated to them for the test/review.

It's all gonna be fun!

Greg.  I am a high ball height hitter as well but the AWT 2.0 shafts actually hit lower than my PE2's with the ZZ-lite.  I'm sure they'll match you up with a suitable shaft.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

44 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I’m curious about this “Power Loft Spec”. I don’t hit a high ball anymore so maybe this will help me get some height back?

Rick.  The power loft will do the opposite.  They are designed to gain distance. My fitter strongly recommended against the power loft option, said it would very likely create excessive yardage gaps... ymmv.  I suspect it will be shaft selection/match that will dictate your optimum ball height.

Rick.  The power loft will do the opposite.  They are designed to gain distance. My fitter strongly recommended against the power loft option, said it would very likely create excessive yardage gaps... ymmv.  I suspect it will be shaft selection/match that will dictate your optimum ball height.

Thanks!

Rick

Left Hand, 

I had Ping G10 years ago and gamed them for years.  They were easy to hit and very forgiving.  I went away from Ping for a while and I feel in that time Ping lost a lot of luster for me.  Nothing exciting from them as far as woods and irons.  The past few years, it seems as if Ping is swinging for the fences now and hitting homeruns!  They have put out great products lately with a lot of distance and forgiveness.  I think we all want that!  My Mizuno's feel amazing, no other iron has felt better to me...EVER.  Can they be more forgiving, of course.  Can they be longer, you bet.  I am not brand loyal.  I will hit whatever performs the best for me.  It doesn't even have to feel the best.  Case in point, this year I was fitted for a driver.  I ended up with the Epic Flash Sub Zero.  The numbers were way better than any other driver (and I hit them all).  However, the best FEELING driver I thought was the Titleist TS2.  Now, after a season, I have become accustomed to the "feel" of the Callaway.  If the numbers are there, I will game them.  If not, I will give my honest opinion about them.  I am interested in seeing what shaft option they put me in as well.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

On 9/18/2019 at 7:35 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I've gamed my one-length irons off and on for the last couple years.  They're fine but I'm ready to move back to something conventional.

Iron design has come a long way in a short time and now we have Super Game Improvement, Game Improvement, Players, Blades, Players Distance and any other 2 words you want to pair together.  

I've been to a few demo days with multiple OEMs in attendance (Mizuno, Ping, Titleist, Srixon etc.) and I've hit the g410s next to some of the others.  I'll be honest - I was smitten with the JPX 919s.... but I need to be honest with myself.  

I'm not a great player but I can make it around the course and I need something with a bit more forgiveness and when I tried those Pings I just couldn't get over how the dispersion was.  I was hitting a 150 yard green within a 30 foot circle pretty regularly.... at one demo day I must have hit about 100 balls because I just couldn't believe it.  There was the occasional mishit when tried to 'go for it' but for the most part these were just spot on.  And I'm sure I wasn't in the middle of the club every time.

I like the fact that they are somewhat in between that "game improvement" and "players" category.  Smaller head, thinner topline... blah, blah, blah.  I also like the matte gray finish.

I'm looking forward to improving my scores with these.  My off the tee game isn't bad, my chipping is so-so, my putting is trash (haha), but I feel like I lose a few strokes due to my iron play.  I've been told that the shafts I have now aren't correct and that may have something to do with it.

Sounds pretty familiar, but for me inconsistency with the driver and 3w, and coming up short with a PW 9/10 were my weaknesses.  The G410P driver and G400 3w have much improved, and the G410 irons are an improvement as well.  As I've stated before, collectively, they have moved my handicap down at least 2 strokes (playing closer to 12 now).  I think my opportunity for finally reaching single digit lies more with my chipping and putting.  Most tell me that part of my game looks good, but I really think that is the focus area at this point.  

I too like the Mizuno's and went back n' forth on which to get for several weeks. The numbers were really close as was their feel. In my case, it was just the long relationship playing PING that won the day.  Plus, having had such a fantastic result with the G410 driver, likely factored into my decision.

More so than most, I'm really looking forward to these reviews.  In particular what shafts you all get fitted too and what your swing speed/mechanics are.  Please share that information with us.  Have fun!

2nd round in the bag with the G410's with 2 consecutive 56% GIR (38% GIR on the season) performances including 7/9 on the back after poor striking on the front. Excited to see if that can go even higher on an easy course Sunday. Used the 9 iron and wedges around the green for the first time, you can definitely notice the speed off the face on touch shots. 

Quickly turned into a believer on the value of getting fit... Probably need to sneak in a driver fitting before winter hits. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX 9* Driver

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:touredgeexotics: CBX 119 16* 2 hyb

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Tuttle / :edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

21 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

2nd round in the bag with the G410's with 2 consecutive 56% GIR (38% GIR on the season) performances including 7/9 on the back after poor striking on the front. Excited to see if that can go even higher on an easy course Sunday. Used the 9 iron and wedges around the green for the first time, you can definitely notice the speed off the face on touch shots. 

Quickly turned into a believer on the value of getting fit... Probably need to sneak in a driver fitting before winter hits. 

Lucky you!

...can't wait until we hear back and are able to get our fittings.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Guys, congratulations again for getting chosen to do this review. I think every one of you will do a fantastic job and be a great ambassador for MyGolfSpy and Ping. I'm really liking the new review template and think it should be interesting, especially the part about bringing the PM conversations out here. Some great discussions take place there and sharing them here is brilliant.

I'm curious to see if any of you will be fit for a different loft designation than what you believe you will. In any case, the Ping fitters did a great job in the long game gapping review.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My first fitting I was a yellow dot.

My second one I was a black dot.

Wonder if it will be another color this time???  😃

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Wonder if it will be another color this time???  

Does Ping pick where you go to get fit? If so I’m curious where they send you.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

5 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Not sure... still waiting to hear.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

13 hours ago, Wedgie said:

First choice is the local area rep.  However this is their prime selling time for the spring season. So if that can't be arranged, it will likely be a Top100 fitter in thst area. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

These are on my radar and I’m excited to see how you guys fare. I shelved my Fort Worth 15s for my trusty i5’s a few weeks back and hope to upgrade next season if they work out.

Good luck on your pursuits fellas.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

14 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Wonder if it will be another color this time???  😃

I think Ping made some slight alterations to their fitting matrix a few years ago, so your specs could have been the same just with a different color code.

15 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Improving my GIR stats is one of the things I'm hoping the G410s will help me with. Right now my averages on 18 birdies are 37% fairways hit, but only 26% greens in regulation. The GIR over the last 10 rounds is a low of 16% and high of 55%.

Lesson work and practice has me scoring a little more consistently, but I would like to see a little more overall consistency in the numbers. The forgiveness factor of the G410s is more intriguing to me than the promise of increased distance.

I think Ping made some slight alterations to their fitting matrix a few years ago, so your specs could have been the same just with a different color code.

You’re right, they did. Blue used to be 1* up and is now .75*.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

7 minutes ago, bens197 said:

You’re right, they did. Blue used to be 1* up and is now .75*.

I'm pretty sure they went to smaller lie angle increments so added a few more options to the system.

55 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

I was fitted for i10 irons shortly after they came out and at that time I was fitted in Green up to the 6 iron and White in the 4, 5. Very interested to see what this fitter does and if there is that much of a difference after 10+ years.

I was fitted for i10 irons shortly after they came out and at that time I was fitted in Green up to the 6 iron and White in the 4, 5. Very interested to see what this fitter does and if there is that much of a difference after 10+ years.

I’m keeping an open mind on this Testing.
I know of a couple of fitters in this area and I’m sure they’ll go along with the Ping program. I’m a firm believer that a good, competent fitter is very important. Bad fitting, bad results.
BTW I’ve been green dot forever.

Rick

Left Hand,