GolfSpy Stroker

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 irons

One thing I want to ask all of the reviewers:
You mentioned the clicky sound. I looked back over the past year at posts about the G410s and several people mentioned the sound and some stopped playing them because of it. 
How do the other reviewers feel about the sound?

I had no problem with sound.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Spent this morning winding down the testing. Played 9 holes wit a mixture of G410 & Mizzie irons. Both sets are at the new Lie angle of 2’ flat. Not boring anyone with stroke by stroke shots will go to bottom line.
I did not try to to work the ball only straight at the pin.
G410 are dead a$$ straight. They are pin seekers. The Mizzies all had a draw. The Pings are slightly longer and I mean slightly. Carry was about the same from what we could judge with Pings having a bit more rollout.
Fun morning by Ole Farts Testing

• Like 5

It sounds like we like and dislike the same things about these clubs.  Are these clubs the best that I've ever hit...no.  Will this be the last set of irons I ever use...no.  There is room for improvement as far as shape and sound and feel for me (almost everything you look for in an iron, ha), but the face is smoking hot!  I was able to get pretty consistent yardage with no real outliers.  I would like to see these in a more players look and feel.  Maybe that's what the Blueprint Irons are (I don't know since I have never hit them).  I will give them a more thorough chance as the weather gets warmer and if I still like them I will keep them, if I find that in the summer weather they act differently, I will donate them back to the site so another member can give them a spin.    

I’m pretty sure the next release from Ping should be the i series irons. I gamed the i10 for several years and loved them. Maybe we should petition for comparison testing to see whether I’m the G410 or i410? Is better for the lower handicap range

• Like 2

Spent this morning winding down the testing. Played 9 holes wit a mixture of G410 & Mizzie irons. Both sets are at the new Lie angle of 2’ flat. Not boring anyone with stroke by stroke shots will go to bottom line.
I did not try to to work the ball only straight at the pin.
G410 are dead a$$ straight. They are pin seekers. The Mizzies all had a draw. The Pings are slightly longer and I mean slightly. Carry was about the same from what we could judge with Pings having a bit more rollout.
Fun morning by Ole Farts Testing

The Mizzies start with a 61* lie angle, the G410 with 61.5*. That extra half degree flat MAY not be the culprit for the additional draw, but it would have a slight affect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm glad you said that about what tour players would consider too high.  I have a buddy that played on the old Nationwide tour and he told me that you can never hit the ball too high, as long as distance is not compromised.  

Outdoor lesson turned into an impromptu 9 holes with coach before lesson tee. The A swing wasn’t with me but had some good back and forth during the round (it wasn’t a playing lesson). Hit an 8 iron that was higher than my normal ball flight. I asked whether he thought it was too high and his reply was ‘not for an 8’.

The takeaway from that is most of us amateurs probably don’t hit the ball high enough. More of us than may want to admit it could benefit from the added height of a GI design like the G410. I have hit several shots with these that I though ‘oops, too high’ only to see the ball hold the peak height and drop on or past the expected yardage.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

I’m pretty sure the next release from Ping should be the i series irons. I gamed the i10 for several years and loved them. Maybe we should petition for comparison testing to see whether I’m the G410 or i410? Is better for the lower handicap range emoji12.png

I think that is a FANTASTIC idea!!!!!  I'm sure the readers want to see that...and who are we to disappoint. 

• Like 3

On 12/2/2019 at 10:54 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

I found the club wants to fight me a bit when trying to shape shots.  It's not that I couldn't shape them, I just had to really try. 

This is what I'm noticing as well.  I'm not much of a draw/fade player but was able to produce both with my PE2's (fade easier than draw).  With the G410's, it seems I have to accentuate stance and swing a bit more to produce these shots - and even then they tend to be less pronounced. 

Designing an iron that is forgiving at keeping off hits straight, allows easy draw/fade and trajectory shots, and looks like the PING Blueprints, is the holy grail.  The quest continues 🙂.

• Like 4

This is what I'm noticing as well.  I'm not much of a draw/fade player but was able to produce both with my PE2's (fade easier than draw).  With the G410's, it seems I have to accentuate stance and swing a bit more to produce these shots - and even then they tend to be less pronounced. 
Designing an iron that is forgiving at keeping off hits straight, allows easy draw/fade and trajectory shots, and looks like the PING Blueprints, is the holy grail.  The quest continues .

The qualities of not being able to work the ball easily may be intentional(can’t speak for Ping). Most of my age group, 65-80 years old are looking for just that, dead straight even when miss hit. I still prefer some movement, but straight still still works for recreational & senior players.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rickp said:

The qualities of not being able to work the ball easily may be intentional(can’t speak for Ping). Most of my age group, 65-80 years old are looking for just that, dead straight even when miss hit. I still prefer some movement, but straight still still works for recreational & senior players.

Without a doubt, these are designed for all but the tail ends of the bell curve.  It's where both the need and the market is.  But, we rarely hear our fellow golfers say "I want a large/shovel looking club".... and why PING and the other OEM's keep trying to design what the vast majority want.

• Like 5

Also got out and played a few days ago on a day where most Floridians would say it was too cold and windy (60 degrees with winds up to 20mph) But I had a golf buddy visiting from out of town, and irons to test. I had been concerned about ball flight control and hitting the ball too high. Here's what the G410s had to say....

G410trio.jpg.609a9bd3b5b66c27dcc520453ac4bfe2.jpg

We chose the shorter yardage to play because of the wind. I had several opportunities for approach shots into the wind. Rather than play a full swing I did what I normally do into stronger winds which is adjust to more of a punch or knockdown shot setup back in the stance a bit with a choked down 3/4 swing intended for about 70 percent of that club's normal distance. The G410s had no problem with that producing a lower, penetrating ball flight and every one of those shots was on the money (I know... right?) I also had a couple of down wind shots where pulling the club from the bag was 'I can't believe I'm pulling this for that yardage'. Full, aggressive swing, and the ball goes soaring down range and each time pin level yardage. Wind aided or not 165 from an 8 iron is a monster shot for me. By the end of the round I had an on the number 83, one of my lowest rounds of the year.

While shaping shots is still a different matter, these will play along when you are trying to control trajectory.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Designing an iron that is forgiving at keeping off hits straight, allows easy draw/fade and trajectory shots, and looks like the PING Blueprints, is the holy grail.  The quest continues 🙂.

Having never hit the Blueprint irons, I would imagine that is the one that I would play if I had to spend my money on them.  

• Like 2

Having never hit the Blueprint irons, I would imagine that is the one that I would play if I had to spend my money on them.  

The Blueprint irons look great but I think the days of a Players iron has past me by.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rickp said:

The Blueprint irons look great but I think the days of a Players iron has past me by.

I refuse to let "the old man in".  Still holding out hope I can find a forged arrow that I can play. 🙂

• Like 2

I refuse to let "the old man in".  Still holding out hope I can find a forged arrow that I can play. 

Went to Doc this morning found out the old man is me!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I want easy, point and shoot.  That's why I have always liked Ping, going back to my Eye2 in the early 80s.  Just like that old TV commercial with the Easy Button

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gregh729 said:

I want easy, point and shoot.  That's why I have always liked Ping, going back to my Eye2 in the early 80s.  Just like that old TV commercial with the Easy Button

If you want point and shoot, I think we would all say that these are for you!  They are without a doubt the straightest irons I have ever hit.  Just pick your number and swing away, no thinking needed.  

• Like 3

If you want point and shoot, I think we would all say that these are for you!  They are without a doubt the straightest irons I have ever hit.  Just pick your number and swing away, no thinking needed.  

The G410 want to go straight, that’s what they’re designed to do and they deliver.

• Like 4

I've got one more lesson this afternoon. Probably another range session or maybe two. Scramble tournament on Saturday. After that I should be ready to crank out the final review. This has been a fun test and a gun group to interact with.

• Like 3