2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 irons

Our Sponsors

Took me a while, but a set of G410s will be arriving next week. I was finally able to hit/test these a little more. I've had a lot of Ping irons, so I know my specs. Verified them the other week by hitting balls, and then ordered. The Mavrik Pros are awesome irons, but I want more help.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9*
:callaway-small: GBB Epic 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW / :ping-small: G410 5-UW
:titelist-small: SM8 52* / 56*
:scotty-cameron-1: Newport 2 Select, 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They're here!  So lets look at this timeline for a second, I was fit on Sunday afternoon and the clubs were at my door tonight when I got home from my football game.  They were built, packaged and shi

Light through yonder window breaks.... 

Looking forward to doing my fitting for these. I've only had one iron fitting and it was for a set of single length irons in February in Rhode Island the day after an 18 inch snowstorm. It w

Posted Images

Can't wait to hear how you hit them!  Christmas in July for you!

• Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

Took me a while, but a set of G410s will be arriving next week. I was finally able to hit/test these a little more. I've had a lot of Ping irons, so I know my specs. Verified them the other week by hitting balls, and then ordered. The Mavrik Pros are awesome irons, but I want more help.

Hittem well Grasshopper!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

60th birthday present for myself

• Like 2

60th birthday present for myself

Well chosen gift

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

PING G410 Irons – Official MGS Forum Review by GolfSpy Stroker

Intro

* been playing about 15 years pretty regularly
* live in New England; season is usually April-Nov.
* I sweep the ball off the turf and rarely take a divot – always have and not sure why; this means my typical miss is thin
* not a baseball / hockey player … other sport is basketball; point is I didn’t have a ‘natural’ transition to golf
* 150 yarder is usually an 8i; typical shot is a fade
* No one thing is better than the other in my game; if I had to pick one it would have to be pitching/chipping because that’s what I do in my back yard almost every day. I'm not a member at a course so this is my “membership” 😆
* irons before g410: Sterling single length 5-P. All cut to the length of a 7i and I was professionally fit into them
* I was fit into the g410 at TrueGolf in Boston and ended up with PX LZ 115 shafts; everything else is stock

First Impressions

Out of the box these looked fantastic. They don’t look like ‘traditional’ Ping irons. I really like the coloring and the badging they used.
I did not like the large number on the sole of the irons

big_number.jpg
I loved the red/black colorway and the hydropearl/gray finish
One thing that I just didn’t get was the fact that the bottom groove is white. Not sure what the point of that is. Didn’t bug me but just seemed odd.

g_whiteline.jpg

One of my first sets of irons when I started getting more serious about golf was the Ping g10. This was also my last set of Ping irons.
When I got these, they didn’t look anything like a Ping iron that I was used to. You know – that big hosel without a ferrule…and those g10s – aka “shovels”. Nice to see a fairly normal looking golf iron…it was a little fat but nothing too big.

address_from_back.jpg

I’ve always been a fan of Ping. I think that if anyone were to buy off-the-rack Ping is hands-down your best choice.
In my fitting I compared my current gamers to the 410 and I was gaining some pretty good distance with them; about 10-15 yards further than my single length irons. I tried a few different shafts and ended up with a heavier shaft (115g) than I had in my current SL set; everything else was stock – lie/length/loft.

Grading

LOOKS
Per Ping: “The resilient hydropearl 2.0 finish allows for a smooth transition through the turf and better contact, which contributes to versatility. With 10% less offset compared to G400 and a shorter blade length, the G410 iron presents a visually appealing, more refined shape with greater forgiveness than any iron its size.”

Shape-wise they’re good. Not great, but good; a bit of offset and thicker-than-normal sole.

address_offset.jpg
At address the topline isn’t huge and you don’t see much of the back of the club.
address_topline.jpg

Love the coloring and badging – except the big number on the sole. That bugs me.
Coloring is nice – not shiny, but a good shade of gray and the hydropearl finish is awesome.
No glare from the sun and the face ‘color’ is offset from the rest of the iron. Subtle and looks good.
The PW and GW both have machined grooves like the glide wedges…that’s a nice touch and I’m sure it helps.

g_wedge_grooves.jpg

Still have the traditional Ping number stamped on the toe – odd but doesn’t bug me.
White groove at the bottom – another oddity.
In the bag they look classy and if you have a red/black bag they look great. 😉

g_witb.jpg

8/10 (knocking points off for the sole/offset/big number stamp)

SOUND/FEEL

Ping: “Feel and sound are improved with a co-molded cavity badge that damps vibrations”
I would have to agree with this statement. I didn’t get any vibrations with the club that I can remember. Even on mishits – thin/fat/toe/heel.

Sound is like snapping your fingers. A good ‘click’ to it; not too loud; more crispy and pleasing than offensive/harsh.

Face is hot – which means the sweet spot is larger than normal and therefore that I-flushed-that-one-feeling is sometimes hard to find. That might not be a bad thing but if you are in search of the ‘like-a-knife-through-butter’ feel these aren’t going to give it to you. But – those mishits that you get with blades that go up the club and straight into your arms and hands and make you feel like you stuck your finger in a light socket aren’t going to be found with these either.
hotface.jpg

8/10 (knocking points off for lack of that pured shot feel)

BASICS

I was late getting these irons – end of 2019 when the season was nearly over in New England. I was able to sneak a couple of rounds in with them and had some winter/early spring rounds before officially starting again. BUT THEN – Covid19 happened right when courses were getting ready to open and I was stuck hitting balls into the net in the backyard; and then my mom passed soon after re-open and I had to fly out to the west coast for that. I was finally able to get some good rounds in with these and reached a point where I felt I had enough to prepare a comprehensive review.
SORRY FOR THE DELAY!

In order to really give these a good ‘test’ I bought some Mizuno MP32 irons on eBay to compare. I didn’t realize the size difference. Whoa Nellie!

compare3_bag.jpg

I tried the mizzy’s in my yard… nope; not for me. I would not score well with these on course so they were a good comparison but not quite the proper one. Like going from a Lexus SC300 to a Toyota Yaris…
compare1_size.jpg

Since I was stuck at home I bought a hitting net and a VoiceCaddie to get some idea of distance and stuff – the VC is also fun as hell.
practice.jpg

I tested these in all sorts of weather/temps – cold/dry/wet/warm/sunny/perfect; I played in fall, winter, spring and summer and this is what I found:

* these are remarkably accurate; the ball flight is dead straight and goes the direction that you hit the ball; and if you don’t hit it where you’re aimin’, it ain’t comin’ back!

* straight shooters; I’m able to draw/fade the ball with my other set and no matter what I did with these I cannot maneuver the ball. Thought it was just me but then I read/saw online the same issue with some of the YouTubeGolfers.

Here’s what Ping says:
“The more flexible, free-moving face amplifies ball speeds for greater distance and higher max height, allowing you to hit less club into the green with the control and precision to hold the putting surface. The face and cavity structure deliver faster ball speeds and save weight for expanding the perimeter weighting. Weight savings are concentrated in the toe and hosel to increase MOI 8% for more forgiveness and consistency.”

* these are designed to maintain ball speeds ALL OVER THE FACE. They moved the weight all around, put that weird looking screw in the toe (can’t really see it other than in the bag) and MAN ARE THE FACES HOT. Shots that don’t find the center of the face go pretty much the same distance as those that do; they seemed to find a way to maintain ball speeds pretty well.
Deductive reasoning: mishits are not severely punished.

* I found that I gained about 10-12 yards from my normal distance; not sure if it was the face tech or lofts or what. The 7i loft is 30 degrees.

* I didn’t notice anything abnormal about height but that is where the whole fitting process becomes important and I was fit into a shaft that didn’t balloon the ball. I will say that the ball stops pretty quickly once it lands. I hit a couple of 190+ 5 irons into greens and the ball ended up about 8 feet from where it landed.

Ping: “With 10% less offset compared to G400 and a shorter blade length, the G410 iron presents a visually appealing, more refined shape with greater forgiveness than any iron its size.”

* There is some offset. Not a ton for this type of iron but it’s there. Didn’t bother me much and it probably helped me have time to get the face square at impact and launch the ball with more spin.

compare_heel_toe_address.jpg

* The sole is what I would call thicker-than-normal; kinda like when you go to college and start eating pizza all the time and you end up thicker-than-normal. Not CHUNKY but thick. Which is to say: the thick sole helps when you aren’t in the fairway.

compare2_sole.jpg

* these irons bring 2 words to mind: playability + forgiveness.
playability ---  you don’t have to be a super duper primo ball striker to play these irons. I’ve hit more than my share of what I thought were duds and they ended up much better than I expected.
forgiveness ---  if you hit one thin (like me) or hit one fat it will be like going to confession and you will be forgiven for the sin you just put upon the poor club in your hand.
My miss is typically thin (since I’m a sweeper) and heel side and the club really did everything it could to help me with this and, if the miss wasn’t egregious, did it well.

address.jpg

19/20 (points off for lack of ball workability)

ON-COURSE

I didn’t count but the number of rounds I have with these is close to 20 – close enough that I can feel comfortable being critical. I got the clubs with Arccos grips but keep having issues getting it to read everything so that data set isn’t quite ready yet. It’s coming, although I’ve used my personal LM to figure out my gapping.
I’ve hit some shots that I happily recall with these; from long to mid to short irons. I can recall a couple of 190+ 5irons that I stuck to 10 feet.

These clubs are mainly point and shoot. But golf courses aren’t like bowling lanes – the fairways typically aren’t straight so the lack of being able to “move” the ball left or right with any sort of consistency is bothersome.

Teed up on the tee box it would be hard to find anything with as much forgiveness and ball speed as these; but you need to be careful and take that into account or you’ll be flying into the rough and over greens.

These are good performers when you’re in the “thicker” grass (aka rough) as the sole seems to really do a nice job of moving through and getting the face to the ball well. As a matter of fact I had more problems in the short grass and hit a few thin low lasers.

My set is 4-U (lofts: 4=20.5, 7=30, U=49.5) and I hit every iron. I typically don’t carry a 4 but off the tee box and – if you have the skill, in the FW – it’s a good club. I don’t really buy into the “hydropearl-sheds-water-doesn’t-affect-your-shot” theory. Yeah, the water droplets bead up on the club but I don’t think some water on the face is going to make much of a difference for my game.

g_lofts.png

FINALLY…

I didn’t have a round in the 70’s before these; afterwards I’ve had a few. It wasn’t a drastic change – I was in the low 80’s,  but these are confidence inspiring and I found that where I was missing greens I started to hit them more often. I’ve always admired Ping and they put a lot of work into their R&D and this just goes to show that it flat out works.

Things I’d like to see in the “g510(?)” would be a slight reduction in the length from heel-to-toe, a tiny bit sharper leading edge, a little less offset and, if possible, making it so players can cut or draw the ball as needed. Cosmetically, I’d replace that big giant number on the sole with something else and get rid of the white line on the last groove. I really hope that they keep the tech that maintains ball speeds on off center strikes, that is a huge plus with these.

29/30

MISC

Ping has been a well-respected brand in the industry for a long, long time and these irons go to show how seriously they take that reputation. From specs being right on to packaging (each club had its own booty) and delivery this was a top-notch experience.

PLAY/TRADE
This is a tough one for me: these clubs help me play BETTER but I’m not sure that they help me play my BEST. These have helped me hone my swing and give me more confidence and are great at what they seem to be intended for. I’m ready to move up to the next step and get into clubs with a little less offset and smaller face that give me the ability to hit draws/cuts as needed.

I think these clubs would be great for someone who either doesn’t play often but has the skills necessary to keep the ball in play or someone who is starting to take the game more seriously and is ready move forward into a set of irons that will help develop and refine their game. These would also be great to use early on in the season to “knock the rust off” until you get back into the groove.

18/20

TL;DR

Great straight shooting clubs with forgiveness, strong distance and launch that will give you consistent ball speeds when you’re not hitting the center of the face all the time.
Game improvers and Score makers!

Final Score (## out of 100 points)

in_bag.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

StrokerAce
:tour-edge: EXS 220 HZRDUS Smoke
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w Fujikara 
:callaway-small:  Apex 20 Catalyst 6.0
:callaway-small:  Apex 23 Catalyst 6.0
--------------------------
:srixon-small: Z785 KBS CTaper lite
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:ping-small: Sigma G Kinloch C 
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

Finally got my review posted ... check it out! 👆

• Like 1

StrokerAce

Great job with the review!  I especially liked the videos!  I agree with a lot of what you said in your review, but I have to say I absolutely LOVED the long irons, not so much the wedges.  They were too big and bulky for my liking.  Sorry to hear about your mom though. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Great job with the review!  I especially liked the videos!  I agree with a lot of what you said in your review, but I have to say I absolutely LOVED the long irons, not so much the wedges.  They were too big and bulky for my liking.  Sorry to hear about your mom though. 

Thanks! Appreciate your feedback and kind thoughts.

I didn't really used to hit a 5i much but once I got these I was pulling it out of the bag more often - both off the tee and in the fairway. Still getting used to the 4 iron but I've hit it more times than I typically would and it has done well so I'm not sure what the mental block is.

Agree with you - 4/5/6 are both forgiving and long!

StrokerAce

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Thanks! Appreciate your feedback and kind thoughts.

I didn't really used to hit a 5i much but once I got these I was pulling it out of the bag more often - both off the tee and in the fairway. Still getting used to the 4 iron but I've hit it more times than I typically would and it has done well so I'm not sure what the mental block is.

Agree with you - 4/5/6 are both forgiving and long!

I found that these irons for me produced an extremely high ball flight but with the long irons it was more piercing.  The 4 iron off the tee was one of my favorite shots to hit.  Like a rocket.  Keep working it off the tee, you will find that it's a great fairway finder which will probably get you anywhere from 200-230 yards dead straight.  Enjoy them

• Like 1

Great review! Agree w most of your observations.
Ping does make good products.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

22 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Great review! Agree w most of your observations.
Ping does make good products.

Thanks Rick! 

If anything these are some fun clubs to use. 

• Like 1

StrokerAce

Really good and thorough review of these irons. I've been following both the G410 as well as the G710 member reviews and everyone is doing such a good job that it's making my choice tougher (in a good way) !! As some one (Rickp) pointed out, I'm sure I won't go wrong either way, but sure is fun to be doing all the "pondering". Thanks for the effort put into the review.

• Like 2

Driver - Callaway Speed XR 10.5

Fairway - 3 Wood - Callaway Speed XR

Hybrids - 3H/5H - Callaway Steelhead

Irons - 4-PW - Titliest DCI Oversize (loaners)

Sand Wedge - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth - 54'

Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab

8 minutes ago, BryanK said:

Really good and thorough review of these irons. I've been following both the G410 as well as the G710 member reviews and everyone is doing such a good job that it's making my choice tougher (in a good way) !! As some one (Rickp) pointed out, I'm sure I won't go wrong either way, but sure is fun to be doing all the "pondering". Thanks for the effort put into the review.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. Feel free to ask any questions of any of the testers and they'll give you an honest and unbiased opinion.

• Like 2

StrokerAce

• 1 month later...

I had posted this in the wrong thread (G410 driver thread)

My G410 irons FINALLY came yesterday and I got them on the course this morning. I ordered them on June 16, received August 25. The pandemic has really messed up orders.

Stock AWT shafts, stiff. +3/4 in, green dot. I got away with murder on a few swings. No way any of those shots should have been anywhere near the green, but all three were on. Forgiveness is off the charts. A different look than my Steelhead XRs, but I like it. The ball went far and straight. I hit a couple of uglies from bad lies, but I can do that with any club.  All in all, these could be a keeper

UPDATE
5 rounds with these now. Super easy to hit. Everything wants to go straight. My usual miss is on the toe, and I am getting away with some horrible swings.  Nice high, not ballooning, ballflight and great distance.  Took a while to get them, but happy they are here. The 5 iron is a easy to hit as the wedge

• Like 4

That's great to hear.  They are super forgiving and I would highly recommend them to anyone that wants a bit of forgiveness  Enjoy them  #gregh729

• Like 2

I had posted this in the wrong thread (G410 driver thread)

My G410 irons FINALLY came yesterday and I got them on the course this morning. I ordered them on June 16, received August 25. The pandemic has really messed up orders.

Stock AWT shafts, stiff. +3/4 in, green dot. I got away with murder on a few swings. No way any of those shots should have been anywhere near the green, but all three were on. Forgiveness is off the charts. A different look than my Steelhead XRs, but I like it. The ball went far and straight. I hit a couple of uglies from bad lies, but I can do that with any club.  All in all, these could be a keeper

UPDATE
5 rounds with these now. Super easy to hit. Everything wants to go straight. My usual miss is on the toe, and I am getting away with some horrible swings.  Nice high, not ballooning, ballflight and great distance.  Took a while to get them, but happy they are here. The 5 iron is a easy to hit as the wedge

I’m sure you made the right choice!

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead