GolfSpy Stroker

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Ping G410 irons

Now I'm getting both jealous and a little behind. I put the Mizuno irons back in the bag this weekend for a round. I didn't see a noticeable difference in the stats over the Hogans, but my proximity on misses was a little better and I made several up and down pars. The only thing that blew my score up was a couple of wild tee shots with penalties from those. Hoping the Pings arrive soon so I can catch up to you guys on the review.

• Like 1

Now I'm getting both jealous and a little behind. I put the Mizuno irons back in the bag this weekend for a round. I didn't see a noticeable difference in the stats over the Hogans, but my proximity on misses was a little better and I made several up and down pars. The only thing that blew my score up was a couple of wild tee shots with penalties from those. Hoping the Pings arrive soon so I can catch up to you guys on the review.

Seems to be taking a long time for your irons. Hope you get them soon, looking forward to your assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

2 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Seems to be taking a long time for your irons. Hope you get them soon, looking forward to your assessment.

We were told they had to back order the shafts so it might be an extra week or two for shipping. Still crossing my fingers that works out to any day now.

• Like 1

We were told they had to back order the shafts so it might be an extra week or two for shipping. Still crossing my fingers that works out to any day now.

That’s what I thought was the problem. Mine were the Alta Sr old fart shafts which are no problem. Hope you get them soon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GregB135 said:

The good thing for you is that you live in FL.  In a few weeks for me will be time to put the clubs up for the season.  Hell, they are calling for SNOW here on Friday.  Too soon...too soon.  

Hope you get them soon though, it must be hard watching all the other kids play with their new toys and not you.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would say so.  How are you liking your ball flight?  

Good, happy with everything so far. 17’ launch this morning 7i.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

I think the 2’ flat is working.IMG_0317.JPG

Oh yea!  What is the strike tape product you're using?

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:29 PM, GregB135 said:

Still anxiously awaiting delivery. With the shafts on back-order it's taking a bit longer.

Anyway... Stats from what should be my final round before starting testing:

Fairways: 6, GIR:5, Putts: 34, Penalties: 6😡

Improving the GIR number and reducing Penalties are primary goals with the G410s.

Keep the good posts coming fellas, I'll be joining you soon.

Put the Mizunos in the bag for a round on Sunday. Here are the stats for comparison.

Fairways: 4, GIR 5, Putts 32, Penalties 3

Proximity to greens was better with the Mizunos as well as wedge play so I got up and down better. Totalled 9 par or better holes with the Mizuno irons in the bag versus 6 with the Hogans. 3 fewer penalty strokes and fewer putts on better greens were the difference in scoring. 84 Sunday vs. 87 last round with the Hogans. Essentially no scoring difference between the two rounds, but I felt like I hit more better iron shots with the Mizunos than the Hogans.

Looking forward to adding the Pings to the mix to see if that GIR % might improve a bit. (of course, free extra strokes on tee shots don't help there)

• Like 3

Oh yea!  What is the strike tape product you're using?

Only name I could find is “Long Shot”. I like them.

• Like 2

Only name I could find is “Long Shot”. I like them.

I bought them at a local Pro Shop but a quick search found them on Amazon.

• Like 1

I bought them at a local Pro Shop but a quick search found them on Amazon.

I haven't seen those - but I use the 'long shot' driver impact tape which also comes in a roll of 250 labels. I buy it on eBay - they're pretty inexpensive.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

I haven't seen those - but I use the 'long shot' driver impact tape which also comes in a roll of 250 labels. I buy it on eBay - they're pretty inexpensive.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

The pkg I get has a mix of irons, driver, hybrid/fareway wood and putter. The putter I double up and use them on irons.
I like the roll, may do that next time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rickp said:

The pkg I get has a mix of irons, driver, hybrid/fareway wood and putter. The putter I double up and use them on irons.
I like the roll, may do that next time.

Seems like the rolls last forever. I just checked my ebay account and I bought my last (driver) roll in 2018. On the range I probably go through 4-5 labels.  Now I use them not only to show the impact but also to minimize scratches from sand on the range balls (we have quite a bit of sand here). Regardless, spending $18. to show impact is a pretty cheap way to get additional yardage. 

• Like 1

Looking like my last "planned" round for the season on Sunday.  Starts out pretty frigid but is supposed to warm up a bit and after that we take a nose dive and are in the 30's pretty regularly....

I don't mind the cold but when it's cold and windy that is the worst.

Will be interesting to see how well the ball reacts on colder days.  Unfortunately I've only been able to play 1 round with these but I did shoot a rare "70's" round so that's good.

who knows - maybe we'll have one of those odd warmups.... if not I guess I'll be at the simulator for the winter!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Looking like my last "planned" round for the season on Sunday.  Starts out pretty frigid but is supposed to warm up a bit and after that we take a nose dive and are in the 30's pretty regularly....

I don't mind the cold but when it's cold and windy that is the worst.

Will be interesting to see how well the ball reacts on colder days.  Unfortunately I've only been able to play 1 round with these but I did shoot a rare "70's" round so that's good.

who knows - maybe we'll have one of those odd warmups.... if not I guess I'll be at the simulator for the winter!

I won't be too far behind you.  I am going to go out tomorrow (temp supposed to be 45 and breezy), Sunday is supposed to be better though and Monday.  After Monday, I'm not sure how much I will get out there either.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I won't be too far behind you.  I am going to go out tomorrow (temp supposed to be 45 and breezy), Sunday is supposed to be better though and Monday.  After Monday, I'm not sure how much I will get out there either.  

You know this area, I bet we're still good for at least one mild warm up in late November or early December.   Seems like we get that every year before it gets and stays cold. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

You know this area, I bet we're still good for at least one mild warm up in late November or early December.   Seems like we get that every year before it gets and stays cold. 

That's true...Christmas will be 72.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

That's true...Christmas will be 72.  

Occasionally happens here (not quite that high) but sadly courses have closed already....

• Like 2