Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Course Management

fixyurdivot

Your Playing Style  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How would you describe your playing style?

• Very aggressive (I didn't pay good money to lay-up)
    • Somewhat aggressive (pick my spots but generally go for it)
    • 50/50
    • Somewhat conservative (usually choose to layup)
    • Very conservative (rarely go for the hero shot)

How would you describe your playing/course management style?  Much as I try, I often let the not so good odds pull me into bad decisions.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

It really depends on what course I'm playing and how I feel.  At my course I know what I can do and where the bad places are, so I tend to play a little aggressive when I'm feeling good.  If I start to lose confidence in my game, I will play a little conservative, and I usually do worse.  So why do I do that?  IDK, just poor decisions.  I find myself saying, "Be aggressive," then I forget by the next hole!!  🙄

When I play a course that I don't know very well, I tend to play conservative.  That may be a reason that I play poorly away from home.  I just don't know when to be aggressive and when to play safe.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I feel like I try to be as aggressive as my particular talents (or lack of talent) allow me to be.  I try to be aware of my probable dispersion, and select clubs and aiming points so that I get as close as possible to the green without taking on too much risk of really bad results.  For the most part, that means I'm moderately aggressive off the tee, hitting driver unless there's a real specific reason to play shorter.  But I aim for the middle of most greens unless I'm within wedge range.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

More often than not it's just going to depend on how I'm playing that particular day. If ball striking is good, I'll play more aggressively, but if it's off then I'll opt for a safer bet. Certain high-risk shots I will try to avoid at all costs if possible.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I was tempted to put very aggressive, but I have gotten a little better about recognizing my lack of talent in certain situations. I feel like this is one of my biggest faults - I try to pull off the miracle shot that has a very low probability for success given my ability (I'm mostly thinking of recovery shots, in this case).

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I selected very conservative but I probably lean more to somewhat. It took me a lot of years to learn to take my lumps and play for a bogie or maybe... a working man's par sometimes when faced with a "hero" shot. I'm not what some might call a shot-maker. Sure, I can move the ball around a bit when needed but it's really not that reliable most of the time. As most of you know I enjoy a friendly wager when I play. One or two lost strokes can many times mean a lost match/bet. Being fairly conservative has won many a round for me. I've also lost quite few to the Hero I'm playing with. Lucky bastard. 😡

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I had to go with 50/50 because it's based more on how I'm playing any given day.  Although, in retrospect, I'm likely to be more aggressive than that.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

As others have said, if I'm playing well I might lean towards the more aggressive route, but if my play has been weak, I'll tend to go more of the conservative route...  I do need to practice more course management though instead of walk up to the ball, grabbing the longest club and hitting the ball  down the fairway/green.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Aggressive off the tee, conservative into the greens. Which coincides with the strengths of my game. One of the biggest improvements in my course management has been being aggressive when playing conservatively. Meaning pick the conservative shot and play aggressively to that. In the past I would get lax in my approach to this. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I don’t have much game to manage any more :)

I’m very accurate with driver so I’m not afraid to go for it there. I will try to get to as close to the green as possible but I make most of my birdies from 100-140 - wedge to 8 iron - my proximity to the hole with those 3 clubs is 21 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Appropriate aggressive off tee as am good with driver. Too aggressive when I’m in the trees

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

At my home course I let the flow of the round dictate how aggressive I play.
At new courses or for competitive rounds I look at a satellite map of the course and build a strategy card. I look at the distances and landing areas and decide on a tee club and aim point for each hole. That takes a lot of in-round guess work out of it and I know I won’t find trouble with a decent swing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Situational for me and dependent on how well Im ball striking. I like strategy which for me means leaving as specific yardage as possible. Been playing wirh a coworker as of late and he commented on how well I manage the course we had been playing. Made me feel 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

... Here are 2 of my favorite quotes and both had an influence on my playing style. 

... Davis Love II was an excellent teacher and said  "Never follow a bad shot with a great shot. Follow a bad shot with a good shot". Rarely are any of us in a position to recover from a bad shot with a great shot. Get the ball back in play and if that means hitting backwards and bringing bogie into play, that is always better than a double or worse. 

... Annika Sorenstam "I only hit a shot if I have an 80% of hitting it successfully." I watched her in a tournament hit behind a tree in light rough and she had to play a 30 yd cut around it to get it on the green. A shot a Pro can pull off, especially a Pro of her ability. She was tied and her opponent was in the fairway with a short iron approach. But after looking at her shot Annika changed clubs and punched back into the fairway. I couldn't believe it and thought she gave away the tournament. Annika hit her wedge a few feet below the hole and her opponent hit hers about 6 feet above the hole. Very fast downhill putt and she ran it past Annika's ball and missed the comeback putt. Annika made hers and won after punching out when she had a really good chance of pulling off the fade around the tree. In her interview she said the above quote and explained that if she missed that shot and ended up in the rough she would definitely bring bogie into play but punching into the fairway she had a chance to save par. 

... So if one of the best all time ball strikers won't try a shot without an 80% chance of success, why I am trying to pull off shots I have a 20% chance of making? It changed the way I played and helped continue lowering my index on my journey to scratch, which was my goal. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

"Never follow a bad shot with another bad shot" Faldo, Nicklaus Trevino Watson etc etc

Best course advice I've heard and I repeat it to any high cappers trying the hero shot around the trees.

If it's in my arsenal, I go for it! what is there to lose, we dont play for a living!

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

1 minute ago, perseveringgolfer said:

"Never follow a bad shot with another bad shot" Faldo, Nicklaus Trevino Watson etc etc

Best course advice I've heard and I repeat it to any high cappers trying the hero shot around the trees.

If it's in my arsenal, I go for it! what is there to lose, we dont play for a living!

I actually prefer the way @chisag says it when he quotes Davis Love.  It it REQUIRES a great shot to recover, that means the risk of failure, the chances of NOT hitting a great shot are pretty high.  

As for the "go for it" idea, I'm always playing for a buck or two with my buddies, and I HATE to lose that dollar.  Match play situations change my decisions at times, but I generally try to choose a shot with something like a 70% chance of a reasonable result.  I'm not as good as Annika, 80% is too high a standard.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

7 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

It it REQUIRES a great shot to recover, that means the risk of failure, the chances of NOT hitting a great shot are pretty high.  

..I've only had a small percentage of great shots from bad shots, but they were so good I remember them in detail, but I grew up watching Seve, say no more! 

Yes, the chances of not hitting a great shot are high, very high, but fun when it works.😏

As a teen I grew up playing 'cross country golf' (anyone else do that?) brings out creativity and gallons of fun.

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

1 minute ago, perseveringgolfer said:

..I've only had a small percentage of great shots from bad shots, but they were so good I remember them in detail, but I grew up watching Seve, say no more! 

Yes, the chances of not hitting a great shot are high, very high, but fun when it works.😏

... Obviously it depends on why you are playing. If I have 255 to a green on a par 5 with the fairway sloping left, and there is thick rough left of the green, I can run the risk of hitting into the rough. But if there is water left, I am not gonna throw away 2 strokes and a ball trying to be Tin Cup. Yes, the great shot is very rewarding if I can pull it off, but derailing my round when a lay up can still result in a birdie is much more preferable. I think it always depends on the risk reward and whether you are playing a tourney, match, friendly wager, posting a score or playing a practice round. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... Obviously it depends on why you are playing. If I have 255 to a green on a par 5 with the fairway sloping left, and there is thick rough left of the green, I can run the risk of hitting into the rough. But if there is water left, I am not gonna throw away 2 strokes and a ball trying to be Tin Cup. Yes, the great shot is very rewarding if I can pull it off, but derailing my round when a lay up can still result in a birdie is much more preferable. I think it always depends on the risk reward and whether you are playing a tourney, match, friendly wager, posting a score or playing a practice round. 

for fun and the challenge.........😉

Caveat is though if I am on a PB round and in a comp I will probably lay up and not tackle hero shots. Any other time wheres the fun and challenge in laying up. "Who dares wins"😂

Hi I'm Alf and I'm bad at course management, I hope by sharing this maybe I will realize this on the course and back off.

We have 2 par 5s at my club  that I can reach on a "good" day in 2. My destructive shot is a slicing 3 wood which is maybe 50% of the times I hit the club. I can carry my 3 wood 210 yds and I go for it every time. Absolute testosterone driven nonsense.

I find our 17th a bit tight and can end up blocked in the trees on the right for my approach and in my head I'm Seve. Instead of chipping out I will try a shot I have never practised or played. Instead of putting for par I end up with a double. This is from Tuesday

image.thumb.png.9326ff10f494d22b5af563090a6a45e7.png

I consider myself level headed and very objective but on a golf course this seems to go out the window.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag