Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Miura Golf Introduces Passing Point 9003 (PP-9003) Forged Cavity-Back Irons

• SPY VIP

So I'm generally not a big fan of reposting press releases, but when it's Miura I'm almost always going to make an exception. This release, along with the attached photos just hit my inbox a few minutes ago, and I'm already thinking about how nice it would be to add a few of these as long iron replacements for a few of my CB-501s. Who knew game improvement could look this good.

MIURA GOLF INTRODUCES PASSING POINT 9003 (PP-9003) FORGED CAVITY-BACK IRONS

Vancouver, British Columbia/Himeji, Japan-Japanese golf-club manufacturer Miura Golf-which has been making the world's highest-quality forged irons for 44 years-is officially introducing its Passing Point 9003 forged cavity-back irons, the company announced today.

The Passing Point concept is Miura's recognition of golfers' lifelong steps to improvement. While there is a passing point when you pass from acquaintance to friend, from novice to serious student, from casual golfer to committed competitor, golf clubs can also have a passing point. When clubs are taken to a new level, they become more than just 14 tools in a bag. They become friends in their own right.

In the Miura tradition of melding functional golf design with an artistic eye, Miura crafted a wider sole to help with effective turf interaction. Yet the sole takes an elegant shape that doesn't look oversized. Likewise, the offset is designed to flow naturally into the clubhead to preserve a confident look at address, but still benefit players who need some help squaring the clubface at impact.

The cavity has been carefully designed to assign just the right amount of weight to the most effective places in the head. The thoroughly researched and tested PP-9003 design places the center of gravity low for a high, soft-landing flight that still holds its line and never balloons. And as with all Miura clubs, the weight and balance are obsessively consistent throughout the set.

The worldwide introduction of the Passing Point 9003 or (PP-9003) irons is set for April 1. The launch is exciting news for golfers, as Miura Golf-which has never had a fixed time frame for new-product introductions-only debuts new models when the quality of new technological advances demands it.

The PP-9003 is available in a 4-iron through pitching wedge set (plus gap wedge) in right-hand only. The PP-9003 can be tested by visiting www.miuragolf.com to locate the closest Miura dealer. Pricing begins at $225 per iron.

]Miura is a family company, and the development of this club brought out the best in two generations of Miura expertise. Company founder and chairman Katsuhiro Miura worked with his sons, Yoshitaka and Shinei, to make a "friendly" golf club. Together, they created a club of surpassing utility, ease of play and, yes, friendliness. The PP-9003-with its wider sole, higher launch angle and perfect amount of offset-is designed for all levels of players, but seniors, women and high-handicappers will particularly benefit from the iron's performance characteristics.

The friendly PP-9003 irons are easier to address with confidence; they promote well-balanced ball trajectory in terms of distance, direction and height; and there's no variance in shape, weight or balance between each club in the set, which provides golfers with confidence.

"The PP-9003 irons are not only aesthetically pleasing, but the incredible technology will help golfers of all handicap levels get the most out of their games," says Adam Barr, president of Miura Golf. "We are confident golfers will fall in love with the PP-9003 irons, especially after they see their games improve."

Positioned as a stepping stone to the Miura clubs intended for better players, Passing Point is Miura's way of reaching out to all golfers. Anyone who plays the game deserves a great forged club-and Passing Point is the newest place to begin that eternal journey towards golf excellence.

"Mr. Miura, Yoshitaka and Shinei have created another superb addition to the Miura club line with the Passing Point 9003 irons," says Bill Holowaty, Executive VP - Product Strategies for Miura Golf in North America. "The PP-9003 irons feature timeless Miura styling and peerless Miura performance, and if you think the visual impact is strong, wait until you hit it."

About Miura Golf

Besides the new PP-9003, Miura Golf's current product line also includes the CB-501 (Cavity Back Model); Blade (Tournament Blade Model); MC-102 (Mid-Size Cavity Model); CB-202 (Cavity Back Model); CB-301 (Cavity Model); and IC-2003 Utility Long Irons) irons; Wedges (Wedge Series and Black Wedge Series, each available in six lofts); Series 1957 By Miura Custom Grind Wedges; Small Blade model irons; Blade and Classic putters (two models); Precious Edition Driver, Fairway Wood and Utility Wood.

Miura Golf's corporate office is located in Vancouver, British Columbia and Miura Golf clubs are sold at the finest custom-fitting shops in North America. The Miura brand is marketed exclusively by Miura Golf Inc., in the United States and North America. More information on Miura products can be found at www.miuragolf.com.

Specs:

miura.png

PP-9003 (1) (Small).jpg

PP-9003-closeup(1) (Small).JPG

pp-9003-multi2 (Small).jpg

PP-9003-details (1) (Small).JPG

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

Here are some of the shots of them during the forging process:

When I saw those last week I couldn't for the life of me figure out what model they were. I guess that's been sorted out.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Since when did Mirua have an office in Vancouver? (and how do I go work with them heh)

Gorgeous clubs. Everytime people start talking about their dream bag MC 102's and the black wedge series are the first things on my hit list.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

Since when did Mirua have an office in Vancouver? (and how do I go work with them heh)

Gorgeous clubs. Everytime people start talking about their dream bag MC 102's and the black wedge series are the first things on my hit list.

Miura's North American HQ is in Vancouver. One of the first questions I posted after the forum launched was "If you could be on staff for any club manufacturer, which would you choose". At this point, if I could get a 11 club deal with Miura, I'd be happy. They have some bags coming out this year as well. The staff bags look particularly nice.

• SPY VIP

T...you turning into a staff bag guy?

You know...normally, not so much, but when the bags look like these:

staff1.jpgstaff2.jpgstaff3.jpgstaff4.jpgstaff5.jpg staff6.jpg

I start to feel differently.

• SPY VIP

Out of all the staff bags out there to choose from...these are the ones that converted you huh?

I did like the Srixon Shark bags, and the Mizuno bags aren't bad, but these are the only ones that match my irons. It's all about being coordinated.

Here are some of the shots of them during the forging process:

Mr. (Spy) T. The specs you posted here look great. However the specs posted on Miura's North American site shows different, very confusing specs. Wonder if anyone can verify which ones are correct. The NA ones seem all over the map and don't make much sense to me, almost to the point you would have to change lofts on at least two clubs to get reasonable gapping.

Thanks to anyone with details.

• SPY VIP

Mr. (Spy) T. The specs you posted here look great. However the specs posted on Miura's North American site shows different, very confusing specs. Wonder if anyone can verify which ones are correct. The NA ones seem all over the map and don't make much sense to me, almost to the point you would have to change lofts on at least two clubs to get reasonable gapping.

Thanks to anyone with details.

Well this is curious isn't it. Both sets of specs were posted by Miura, so it's hard to be certain. My guess is the ones on the NA site are the ones that are incorrect. As you said, they just don't make much sense. I'll leave the others up. Here are the ones from the Miura North America site:

9003specs.PNG

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So has anyone tried these out yet? I've been muttering about starting to aquire the items for my dream bag and these are at the top of the iron list. Unfortunately the fitter in Vancouver listed didn't have any of these when I called so I'm trying to solicite opinions from those in the know.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

So has anyone tried these out yet? I've been muttering about starting to aquire the items for my dream bag and these are at the top of the iron list. Unfortunately the fitter in Vancouver listed didn't have any of these when I called so I'm trying to solicite opinions from those in the know.

We haven't tried them yet, but if there is enough interest we could look into getting a set for review.

We haven't tried them yet, but if there is enough interest we could look into getting a set for review.

Colour me interested in a review on these. I'd love to see a good solid review on Miura's from a trusted source. I believe Adam Barr has been pretty adamant that one people get these in their hands all the objections to the price goes away. Given that it's pretty hard to get these in hand before ordering, a review from MGS would be the next best thing. While I do want them, I'm not huge on ordering things that don't have good, solid reviews out there.

I wonder if the Miura site in Burnaby is just a shipping site/offices or if they've got some clubs to try/take shiny pictures of...

I hit these at Club Champion today (full review on the way) and they are SWEET. There was not a head that I got along better with - everything was flush. Lofts are very strong though. I would LOVE to give these a whirl, in case anyone at Miura is listening.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 9 months later...

I hit these at Club Champion today (full review on the way) and they are SWEET. There was not a head that I got along better with - everything was flush. Lofts are very strong though. I would LOVE to give these a whirl, in case anyone at Miura is listening.

Any news on this "full review on the way"?

• SPY VIP

I'm trying to put together a couple of Miura reviews for this season, but the PP-9003 probably won't be on the final list.

• 2 months later...

Those irons are absolutely beautiful compared to the Star Wars licensed toys the domestic OEMs are offering.

My only complaint would be the numbers stamped on the soles. They're at minimum a full club too strong lofted. If custom sole stamping were available, I'd stamp them 3-PW, not 4-AW. Also, they're a full club upright of the MC-102 model as well. I'd have them flattened. But they are absolutely beautiful.

Archived