Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Do I really need a hybrid in my bag

tony@CIC

Currently  carry 14 Clubs: 5W, 9W, 22*H, 5i-PW,  GP,, 52*, 56*, 60*. The only time I seem to use the 22*H is off the tee on longer Par 3's.

I have a number of clubs that I'm going to either sell or trade in and buy a new club(s).  Am unsure of the direction to go - a new hybrid or upgrade my wedges. Note; if I'm in the rough off of the fairway I'm always pulling out an iron - although I do see guys using hybrids. My wedges are in great shape and I like them - but new shiny metal is always attractive. Also I've got a 410 Driver and a new Odyssey putter so no need there. 

What say you. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I’d say find a way to check your gapping particularly your carry distance. You could easily have 3 clubs - hybrid, 9w and 5i - that carry the same distance.

Given the configuration you’re showing us I’d say you either don’t need it or 9w. But we all hit the ball differently so it’s hard to say without more data and info on your game.

In a perfect world I’d say everyone should carry a hybrid and a fairway wood because they perform a bit differently and hybrids perform well around the green.

I’ve had to give up my hybrids because it turns out that I don’t carry them that well and tend to hook them. I’m much better with fairway wood. I’ve adapted around the green by working on hitting bump and runs with my 7 and 8 irons.

I hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

What is your driver distance and your highest lofted wedge distance?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Hybrids are great to have in the bag.

They make for decent aiming sticks when you lay them down on the grass at the range.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

What is your driver distance and your highest lofted wedge distance?

Driver is generally around 200 yds. Given that I can generally get on or near the green with either my 5W or 9W on Par 4's. I'm pretty good with my short game - generally GP=95 yds and I've got my gapping down pat on my other wedges all the way down to a short chip  from green side rough with my 60*. Bump and run is generally a 7i, which is really effective for me. 

I use irons to get out of the fairway rough and pretty effective at it. If the ball is sitting high up and I've got a ways to go I'll pull out the 5/9 Woods. As I said in my original post, I now only use my 22*H for long Par 3's only - for some reason I have more confidence off the tee in that club than a 5 or 6i. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

... Hybrids are a great club for most golfers. They combine the best attributes of a fairway wood and an iron.  Shorter shaft than a fw so more accurate/longer shaft than an iron so more distance. They are by far the best club to use in light to medium rough. They launch high and land soft. They maximize carry. They are forgiving. What's not to like?

... The above said more than a few like Rev, just hit them poorly so for whatever reason there is no need to carry a club you can't hit well. I have a 21.5* RBZ Tour hybrid that works really well in the Mid West where conditions are soft with plenty of rough. But it was basically useless in Phoenix with little to no rough and hard, fast fairways. As always figuring out what kind of shots you need to play and what you hit well should be the most important factors when filling out your bag. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

This also leads to another interesting question or point -

A guy who hits it 250 off the tee has vastly different needs from a guy who hits it 200.

The 200 yards guy could cover 12 yard gaps down to 60 yards and still have a putter and wild card club to spare - he could easily carry a hybrid that covers the same distance as a lofted fairway wood or 5 iron only with a different trajectory or for different types of shots.

Interesting thought for Tony to consider also.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

4 hours ago, revkev said:

This also leads to another interesting question or point -

A guy who hits it 250 off the tee has vastly different needs from a guy who hits it 200.

The 200 yards guy could cover 12 yard gaps down to 60 yards and still have a putter and wild card club to spare - he could easily carry a hybrid that covers the same distance as a lofted fairway wood or 5 iron only with a different trajectory or for different types of shots.

Interesting thought for Tony to consider also.

This is why I asked the question,  with roughly a 12 yard gap you can either reduce the clubs or add to the bottom of the bag.  Find the clubs that help you hit those games whether it is a fairway wood,  hybrid, driving iron, or iron.   Just because I love hybrids doesn't mean that is the club you should have in your bag/ 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is why I asked the question,  with roughly a 12 yard gap you can either reduce the clubs or add to the bottom of the bag.  Find the clubs that help you hit those games whether it is a fairway wood,  hybrid, driving iron, or iron.   Just because I love hybrids doesn't mean that is the club you should have in your bag/ 

It could even mean they don’t belong in your own bag or you need 4 of them. Does the love match the reality.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

15 hours ago, revkev said:

Interesting you should say that. I was at a long Par 3 over the water yesterday (strong head wind)and I did some experimenting  - using some older Pro V1Xs: . A 5i (24*), 22* hybrid and my 9 W (23.5*).  The 5i launch low and with a slight fade missed the green (and in the water), the 22*h launched mid and landed on the green, the 9W launched very high and I literally watched it stop in the air because of the strong head wind and of course in the water.

So as a higher handicapper (21), I learned something new not only from these posts but also doing some experimenting. Up to this point, I was thinking only of club gaping vs. gaping plus ball flight characteristics otherwise known for using the right club for the right circumstance. .So my thought process is:  5i is for those low flight shots out of the rough and under trees and my 9W  for those fairway shots, especially where I need to go over elevated fairways/bunkers. The hybrid for everything in between.

Conclusion: I need that hybrid in the bag

Thanks guys for your feedback! 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I kicked all the hybrids out of my bag this summer and couldnt be happier.  I replaced my 3-hybrid with a 5-wood and find it to be more forgiving and longer.  I find that unless the ball is buried, I can hit it out of the rough or sand too.

IMO, the notion that you NEED a hybrid in your bag is nonsense.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I need to carry one because I don’t hit any fairway woods. It’s a life saver!

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

... To be fair, I think there are basically 3 types of "hybrids". Click on any golf stores Hybrid category and all of them show up:

1. A wood like hybrid that replaces a fairway wood for hose that like to swap the ball. (M6, G410)
2. An iron like hybrid that replace long irons for the that hit down and thru the ball. (TS3, M3)
3. Utility Iron hybrids that are wide soled, hollow headed irons that launch high and land soft. (Z U85, U-500/510)

... I think many better players use Utility irons in place of long irons and more conventional hybrids to replace woods. Higher index players usually do better with wood like hybrids, but every player is unique and their individual needs may not fall into the above categories. And of course modern 4/3 irons can be very close to Utility hybrids, my P790 4 iron is a good example with a smaller than normal sole but plenty of forgiveness from a hollow head and more speed from a thin face. It is always a good idea to demo all 3 types as well as set SGI and Distance long irons to find out what works best for you.

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... To be fair, I think there are basically 3 types of "hybrids". Click on any golf stores Hybrid category and all of them show up:

1. A wood like hybrid that replaces a fairway wood for hose that like to swap the ball. (M6, G410)
2. An iron like hybrid that replace long irons for the that hit down and thru the ball. (TS3, M3)
3. Utility Iron hybrids that are wide soled, hollow headed irons that launch high and land soft. (Z U85, U-500/510)

... I think many better players use Utility irons in place of long irons and more conventional hybrids to replace woods. Higher index players usually do better with wood like hybrids, but every player is unique and their individual needs may not fall into the above categories. And of course modern 4/3 irons can be very close to Utility hybrids, my P790 4 iron is a good example with a smaller than normal sole but plenty of forgiveness from a hollow head and more speed from a thin face. It is always a good idea to demo all 3 types as well as set SGI and Distance long irons to find out what works best for you.

7 wood

You would have loved the 7 wood I hit from 190 over a pond yesterday - never in doubt - 4 iron or hybrid would have been a nightmare scenario for me.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

8 hours ago, revkev said:

7 wood emoji33.png

You would have loved the 7 wood I hit from 190 over a pond yesterday - never in doubt - 4 iron or hybrid would have been a nightmare scenario for me.

This is where I love my Heavenwood. I pulled it 4-5 times yesterday and had a 195 yard shot that I put right on the fringe. Never once touched my hybrid. On one shot where I would have used hybrid in the past, I just choked up on the Heavenwood. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game