Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

hitting the driver flat

i have been playing a 43 1/2 inch 65 prolaunch with a taylormade m2 hl head adjusted at +1.33 loft, 2.4 closed face angle and 1.33*up adapter setting.

when i do hit the ball correctly i find 80 percent of fairways. not extremely long but good enough for a second shot into the green. my problem lately is that i seem to hit the ball fly's as it hovers the ground and gets some good roll but not always. no arch into the air and a divot just after the tee. i have adjusted the ball position from toe area of my left foot to the left instep and even the heel. and even in the middle of my stance as in a 7 iron. was wondering if this sounds like i am topping the ball and not hitting it on the up sweep. hopefully this week i can go to the range to see what i am doing, just asking for any ideas. thanks guys  

i have been playing a 43 1/2 inch 65 prolaunch with a taylormade m2 hl head adjusted at +1.33 loft, 2.4 closed face angle and 1.33*up adapter setting.
when i do hit the ball correctly i find 80 percent of fairways. not extremely long but good enough for a second shot into the green. my problem lately is that i seem to hit the ball fly's as it hovers the ground and gets some good roll but not always. no arch into the air and a divot just after the tee. i have adjusted the ball position from toe area of my left foot to the left instep and even the heel. and even in the middle of my stance as in a 7 iron. was wondering if this sounds like i am topping the ball and not hitting it on the up sweep. hopefully this week i can go to the range to see what i am doing, just asking for any ideas. thanks guys  

You should never get a divot with your driver. I recommend you have a friend video your swing. Look at your shoulder position at address. If you are right handed your right shoulder should be visibly lower than your left.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

If you are taking a divot with the driver you have issues with spine angle, more than likely also some serious swaying.

Moving the ball position to a 7 position in the swing will only make things worse 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

It sounds like the ball is creating the divot not the club. Tough to tell without a video. Most commonly this is caused by early extension or an exaggerated over the top move. Focus on maintaining flex in you knees especially back one during swing.

7 hours ago, Mrf@0000843 said:

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem as you described so I decided to rent a GC Quad to see whether the problem is in my delivery or there is something wrong with my eqipment. 

It turns out the was hitting down at the ball for about 3 degrees and with little delivered loft, probably due to forward shaft lean.

I suspect you have the same situation and should try to get positive angle of attack. One thing to consider is also the length of your driver. Shorter shaft, generally speaking, makes it tougher to elevate the ball and (if i remember correctly) incourages steeper downwards angle of attack. Combine this with the shaft that has backwards deflection at impact and you get quintuple whammy. 

Edited by Calvo90

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

All sorts of questions jump to mind and that's without seeing a video of your swing and then offering advice that I'm totally unqualified to give.

Here's advice that I feel comfortable offering. 

1.  Spend $40 and take a lesson - that way you'll know what's up.

2.  If you weren't fit for the particular driver head, shaft, shaft length ask the guy that you take the lesson from if he might recommend a fitter in the area and go get fit - Could be that you aren't getting enough spin because the shaft/loft combo that you are using is not right for you. 

Bottom line is that as a 20 the more that you try to self correct this thing the more likely it will be that you make matters worse.  

Good luck 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Like the others, it's hard to know without a video. It does sound like a descending strike. Keep in mind that even with a driver, you need to create the flight. 15° loft doesn't mean anything when your -12° on your connection.

This may be a shot in the dark but next time you're hitting, practicing, etc, pick a target way up in the sky (cloud, sun, tree line, etc) Focus on it through your swing and attempt to send the ball to the target. This might help you with making an ascending strike. I do this when I'm really trying to hit a high ball over a tree-lined corner.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG