TESTERS WANTED! ×

What golf ball should I use?

vdaloia

I swing the driver at about 95-100 mph and carry about 260 yards. 

• I slice the ball so anything that would minimize that would help

The most important thing I am looking for in a ball would be 150 yards and in, I like something that feels kind of soft off of the putter (I use Evnroll er5) and I don't mind some roll out on pitch shots.

I use M6 irons

I want to spend no more than 20-30$ a dozen. Currently I use the Srixon Q star tour as I get 40% off of all Srixon equipment for college club golf. However, I would say my favorite golf ball at the moment is chrome soft with the truvis pattern, it just feels very solid. Should I switch to those and buy them off of lostgolfballs or should I stick to my Srixon balls, or anything else. Recommendations and explanations are greatly appreciated, I just want to stop thinking about my equipment.

Edited by vdaloia

Q Star is designed to help with lateral movement/spin.

using lostgolfballs to buy will put you at risk of buying/playing balls that are going to add to inconsistency I results.

check out the mgs golfball study.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Q Star is designed to help with lateral movement/spin.

using lostgolfballs to buy will put you at risk of buying/playing balls that are going to add to inconsistency I results.

check out the mgs golfball study.

I think you are referring to the 2-piece ionomer covered QStar vs the OP referencing the 3-piece urethane covered QStar Tour. 

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

OP, 

Generally the difference in spin around the greens between a urethane covered multilayer ball vs a 2-piece ionomer covered ball will be far greater than the difference between the two off the tee. The only time I recommend 2-piece ionomer balls over multilayer urethane is when a golfers swing speed/launch are extremely low or if they lose a lot of balls and cannot personally tell the difference.

Your slice is a swing flaw that no ball will be able to correct. There is an abundance of swing instruction resources on the various forums and youtube that will be far more helpful to fixing this problem than a ball change ever will. 

Next comes price. Used ball re-sellers like LostGolfBalls are contracting with divers to pull balls out of ponds at courses all over the country. Now if you are buying a fairly recent model, it likely wasn’t in the pond for very long and will likely be fine. Also with exception to the ProV1, they are often providing a mix of multiple generations of balls from companies that reuse names (ex B330, ZStar), so you may end up with some balls that are significantly older than the others. Many of these re-sellers also refurbish/refinish balls which means they strip the paint from the urethane cover and repaint/stamp before selling. Stay away from these mainly because you never know what you are going to get under that cover. Ultimately there are often good deals on prior generation models or lower cost alternatives where it is often not much of a savings to go with used water balls over new.

When it comes to choosing between similarly constructed balls, specs and tests can help narrow down choices, but nothing can replace personal testing on the course. Below are a couple of recent tests that may help narrow a few choices down:

https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/features/equipment-features/2019/september/robot-tested-which-golf-bal-suits-my-game/

Edited by storm319

52 minutes ago, storm319 said:

I think you are referring to the 2-piece ionomer covered QStar vs the OP referencing the 3-piece urethane covered QStar Tour. 

Correct. OP asked a question what ball to use. I stated the ball and why.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Thank you guys, I'm probably going to use the regular Q star from now on as I lose quite a bit of golf balls and I don't need much spin. So does this spin skin make it feel more like a urethane ball as the spin skin coating is urethane?

13 minutes ago, vdaloia said:

Thank you guys, I'm probably going to use the regular Q star from now on as I lose quite a bit of golf balls and I don't need much spin. So does this spin skin make it feel more like a urethane ball as the spin skin coating is urethane?

I can't say for certain in regards to the Q-Star, but I have used the Z-Star and they are one of the best on the market for spin. And yes they do have the spin skin as well.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

1 hour ago, vdaloia said:

No, it is still an ionomer cover and no amount of basting will make it perform like urethane. BTW, the ZStar is my favorite ball. 

@storm319 Its great to see you posting over on this site.  Glad you brought your knowledge over here 👍🏾

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

• 5 weeks later...