TESTERS WANTED! ×

SST Pure does it work

YaBish86

Look there is a ton of confusing information out there about pured shafts and if it actually matters. If it did i would think that every tour player would have it done. I’ve seen claims of yardage increases and various other claims are there any truths to it?

Been some discussion in this before.
Some say yes. some say no. Some say it used to work when shafts were not manufactured as well and had spines. Only way to tell would be to take club and pure it and capture numbers. Then turn the shaft into various orientations and capture more numbers. That approach might give an answer for that shaft line, but not necessarily for and other shaft line or manufacturer.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

... To add to what cnosil said, I used to spine align my steel iron shafts. I had Dynamic Gold shafts that had such obvious spines they were hard to roll on a cement floor. But production has gotten sooooo much better. Kim Braley and Nippon set the bar very high so everyone else had to step up their game. I play graphite in my irons and most are over 99% round. But I did just install some Nippon 105's in my P790's and for the heck of it, I checked their spines and basically could not find any. I would probably still check the spines of any steel shafts I installed but I would never pay for SST Puring. Ymmv ...

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I did have my graphite iron shafts pured for my current set of irons that I ordered.  Since I don't have before and after data to compare, I can't comment if it was worth the $$ or not.  Here's what I do know....I don't have any doubts niggling in the back of my mind that maybe if I'd only done this....blah blah.  In any case, I'm hitting my irons very consistently and any faults with the results lay solely on me and my swing.

My hybrids, wedges, and woods are not pured (Driver was).  I hit the hybrids pretty straight.  Driver's another story, but again, that's more me than anything else.

Bottom line:  I don't really know one way or the other.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Take it for what you want but I’ve had two people from different shaft companies say it isn’t necessary 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

When I was still playing a Nike Vapor Pro driver, I purchased a different shaft and had it "pured". The club worked well, but not having anything to go off of, I don't know if it was worth the money. When I switched to my Ping G25, I purchased that same shaft without puring to try in the new head. It doesn't seem to be a good match for me at all. The shaft feels okay, but it launches the ball with too little spin and it drops out of the air. Maybe there's a difference because of the shaft's alignment, but more than likely the difference comes from the vastly different driver head.

I'm still holding onto the shaft to try when I get my club head speed up where I want it, but currently the stock shaft works just fine for me.

I do have to agree with what @CarlH said though. If you want absolute peace of mind that your clubs are spec'd out as well as they possibly could be, then it isn't going to hurt anything (except your checkbook) to do it.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

... Fwiw, I also used to Flo my driver shafts and was amazed at how badly some stock shafts wobbled while premium after market shafts stayed more in a straight line. Seemed pretty obvious to me there was an advantage to Floing driver shafts. But I played a round with the VP of Engineering that designed the NV as well as many other shafts and they used to align their shafts at the factory. But high speed photography showed that every single shaft, regardless of orientation produced a perfectly straight line on the first pass. Aldila stopped orienting shafts as they thought it was a wast of time. Cheaper shafts of poorer quality began to wobble quickly but of course we only swing our driver once. So Floing only exposes the quality of the shaft, not it's potential to stay on line when swinging it.

... And obviously this also meant the shafts that flowed much better were more consistent from shaft to shaft while the ones that wobbled were all over the place. This is the main reason premium shafts are very similar and when you buy a new 3 wood to match your driver you can feel pretty sure performance will be the same, where you could get 2 radically different performing shafts going the cheap route. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

5 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

Maybe there's a difference because of the shaft's alignment, but more than likely the difference comes from the vastly different driver head.

Head trumps any/most shafts.

Puring is a bit of a placebo for some.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Did you ever flo iron steel shafts. My modus 120 had a lot of oscillation in them when i did 1 of my irons. I have my driver pured right now have two hybrids that i am scared to do anything with because i hit them great 1 of my irons i have pured and i haven’t picked up yardage but can tell it loads different......switching out of the modus and going to a dynamic gold black gold frequency matched tour iron shaft and was thinking of either pureing or spine align at minimum

13 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Head trumps any/most shafts.

Puring is a bit of a placebo for some.

I don't disagree. Just making the statement for the purpose of this discussion. 😉

My experience with multiple Ping driver heads is that they are lower spin for me.

Edited by TR1PTIK

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour