Our Sponsors

Photo

When Tiger returns to the PGA, how do you think he'll do?

41 replies to this topic

#31 Davelouis808

Davelouis808

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO
  • Handicap:3.6

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:29 PM

Hopefully he makes a few cuts then returns to form... Which would be the best thing for Golf.

#32 STUDque

STUDque

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Handicap:10

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:49 PM

I wish I was the OP here because I'd change the title to say "If"

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag?

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 (Aldila Rogue Silver X)

Wood: Ping i25 (stock x-flex)

Irons: TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC (+.5" / up 2* / stiff / mid grip)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52,56,60

Putter: STX SS6

Cart: Cliqgear 3.5+ (walk almost every round)

#33 ole gray

ole gray

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,577 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:55 PM

I wish I was the OP here because I'd change the title to say "If"

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think he may do alright on the Champions Tour so there's a little hope for the future. 

:cobra-small: F6 Driver W/ Matrix MGS 50 White Tie ®

:cobra-small: F6 Hybrid 16 - 19 Degree
:callaway-small: Razr X  3 & 4 Hybrids

:callaway-small: Razr XF 5 - SW Irons   
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole Wedge

:bettinardi-small: Queen B 9 Putter / Testing for MGS & Bettinardi

•  

#34 TBT

TBT

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 655 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Handicap:15

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:47 AM

At this point I'm not to sure Tiger will play competitive again

Proud Member of Team Rickie in the MGS Cobra Connect Challenge

:cobra-small:King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F3 Shaft w/ Cobra Connect Technology
:bridgestone-small: J40 3+ Graphic Designs Tour AD-DI 6 S
Bridgestone 2 & 4 Hybrid Project X Stiff Graphite
:callaway-small:XR 5 Hybrid Project X Stiff Graphite
:taylormade-small: 6 -SW Speedblades Speedblade 85 Steel Stiff
:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 *58 Lob Wedge

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

#35 STUDque

STUDque

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:48 AM

I think he may do alright on the Champions Tour so there's a little hope for the future.

I think he has too much pride to play on the champions tour. Especially if he still can't win.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag?

#36 ole gray

ole gray

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,577 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:51 AM

I think he has too much pride to play on the champions tour. Especially if he still can't win.

Sent from carrier !

Hey those guys are good!

:cobra-small: F6 Driver W/ Matrix MGS 50 White Tie ®

:cobra-small: F6 Hybrid 16 - 19 Degree
:callaway-small: Razr X  3 & 4 Hybrids

:callaway-small: Razr XF 5 - SW Irons   
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole Wedge

:bettinardi-small: Queen B 9 Putter / Testing for MGS & Bettinardi

•  

#37 ZachSvec

ZachSvec

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNew Berlin, Wisconsin

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:48 AM

I want for it to so bad be option 3 but i think it will be like an option 2.5. Make cuts get a win here and there but probably nothing huge. Ill just be happy to see him back in action whenever that is.

Taylormade M2 2016 9.5* w/ aldila rogue black 60g stiff flex

Cobra King F7 3/4 14.5*

Cobra King Utility 2/3 iron 18.5*

Srixon z745 4-PW

Titleist Vokey SM5 50*,54*,58*

Scotty Cameron Newport Select 1.5 34in w/ superstoke flatso 1.0 

Taylormade TP5

#38 TheWahoo

TheWahoo

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, MD
  • Handicap:18

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:50 PM

Initially, I'm just glad that he is still alive and did not end up like Elvis or Michael Jackson.   What's with these doctors that provide the type of prescriptions that could form such a drug cocktail.   

As far as his future golf, he's had several back operations, sometimes the slightest back injury can last for a lifetime and limit activity.   What has he not accomplished other than more majors than Jack.   If I were he, with the wealth he has obtained, I would just enjoy the fruits of my past efforts and not risk more pain and injury.

#39 JohnSmalls

JohnSmalls

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationSC
  • Handicap:25

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:30 PM

Miss the days when Tiger ruled and Nike was trying to figure out the equipment business.  But Tiger's major days are over.  If he can ever fully recover and compete again, I think he will make the cut for most tournaments he enters.  However I don't see  him contending for wins.  With his exceptional attention to detail and personal drive, I believe he could/would make an incredible coach. 

Loved hitting baseballs.  Now figuring out how to chase "the little white ball". 

In the lefty DATREK: GoLite PRO  

:ping-small: G25 10.5*
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3W, 5W
:nike-small: Vapor Speed 4i
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 5-PW
:ping-small: Glide 52*, 56*, 60*
:ping-small: Karsten TR Zing
:titelist-small: DT TruSoft  

Romans 10:9

#40 STUDque

STUDque

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:36 PM

Miss the days when Tiger ruled and Nike was trying to figure out the equipment business. But Tiger's major days are over. If he can ever fully recover and compete again, I think he will make the cut for most tournaments he enters. However I don't see him contending for wins. With his exceptional attention to detail and personal drive, I believe he could/would make an incredible coach.

I'll never forget the urban legend I heard about him. Back when Nike was first getting into the equipment game, they said Tiger's equipment and balls were actually inferior to the other tour players. AND HE STILL DOMINATED!

That was the old debate back then, how good could he have been if he used Titleist or TM instead?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag?

#41 ddryan

ddryan

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Handicap:11

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:14 PM

IMHO, It was not his equipment that got him where he was, but rather his belief in his own invincibility.  That confidence, that nobody could touch him, nobody could beat him, and that he was head and shoulders above the field was his most powerful weapon.  Even look at or talk with tour players at the time- they were intimidated by his presence.  Coupled with his tremendous talent, work ethic and desire to win, made Tiger an amazing athlete to watch.

After his "fall" from the pedestal, he lost that confidence -he knew (even if he didn't acknowledge it) that he was no longer invincible.  That intangible is gone forever.  Given the additional trouble he has had with physical issues (knee, back, etc), now that the mental "advantage" he had is gone, I don't think he will ever be able to compete at the same level again.

Golf is a mental game- What was it that Bobby Jones said, "Competitive golf is played primarily on a 5 1/2 inch course - between the ears"  and without that advantage, without that belief in oneself, you are already one step behind.

When I am hitting the ball well, I am confident that I know exactly where the ball is going - and it usually does.  When I am unsure, the tentative nature of my mind can cause a tentative swing with disastrous results.  And nobody is carrying my bag on Sunday except me, so...  Why do you think there are so many sports psychologists around today?

I loved to watch Tiger play- I loved that confidence and that ability coupled to make a complete player- without both, however, it is not the same, and that is truly unfortunate.

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Razr Fit Extreme, 9.5 degrees, Square setup, Matrix 7M3 Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts

:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan TK wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter :cleveland-small: Cleveland Classic 350 gram BRZ bronze mallet

:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

#42 Kenny B

Kenny B

AGENT NAME: PHOENIX

• Members

• 7,573 posts
  • LocationKennewick, WA
  • Handicap:9.7

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:36 PM

IMHO, It was not his equipment that got him where he was, but rather his belief in his own invincibility.  That confidence, that nobody could touch him, nobody could beat him, and that he was head and shoulders above the field was his most powerful weapon.  Even look at or talk with tour players at the time- they were intimidated by his presence.  Coupled with his tremendous talent, work ethic and desire to win, made Tiger an amazing athlete to watch.

After his "fall" from the pedestal, he lost that confidence -he knew (even if he didn't acknowledge it) that he was no longer invincible.  That intangible is gone forever.  Given the additional trouble he has had with physical issues (knee, back, etc), now that the mental "advantage" he had is gone, I don't think he will ever be able to compete at the same level again.

Golf is a mental game- What was it that Bobby Jones said, "Competitive golf is played primarily on a 5 1/2 inch course - between the ears"  and without that advantage, without that belief in oneself, you are already one step behind.

When I am hitting the ball well, I am confident that I know exactly where the ball is going - and it usually does.  When I am unsure, the tentative nature of my mind can cause a tentative swing with disastrous results.  And nobody is carrying my bag on Sunday except me, so...  Why do you think there are so many sports psychologists around today?

I loved to watch Tiger play- I loved that confidence and that ability coupled to make a complete player- without both, however, it is not the same, and that is truly unfortunate.

There are a lot of players today that are just as good as Tiger was in his early days. They grew up watching and idolizing Tiger's play.  I agree that the intimidation factor was huge in his ability to close out tournaments.  That's gone now.  He doesn't intimidate anyone.  No one today is going to dominate like he did, because no one is intimidating.  Anybody can win at any time, as demonstrated by the number of first-time winners this year and 3 of 4 first time major winners.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors