Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

When Tiger returns to the PGA, how do you think he'll do?

Moecat

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I was the OP here because I'd change the title to say "If"

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think he may do alright on the Champions Tour so there's a little hope for the future. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

At this point I'm not to sure Tiger will play competitive again

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I think he may do alright on the Champions Tour so there's a little hope for the future.

I think he has too much pride to play on the champions tour. Especially if he still can't win.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I think he has too much pride to play on the champions tour. Especially if he still can't win.

Sent from carrier !

Hey those guys are good!

Cleveland

I want for it to so bad be option 3 but i think it will be like an option 2.5. Make cuts get a win here and there but probably nothing huge. Ill just be happy to see him back in action whenever that is.

Ping g400 lst 10* w/Oban kiyoshi gold 65s

Titleist 915f 16.5* w/Aldia rogue max 75s

Cobra King UT 18* w/Kbs C-taper lite 110s

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) w/ Accra 95s proto

Titleist sm6 50*,54*,58* w/Dynamic gold s200

Evnroll Er2 35in w/superstroke flatso 1.0

Initially, I'm just glad that he is still alive and did not end up like Elvis or Michael Jackson.   What's with these doctors that provide the type of prescriptions that could form such a drug cocktail.   

As far as his future golf, he's had several back operations, sometimes the slightest back injury can last for a lifetime and limit activity.   What has he not accomplished other than more majors than Jack.   If I were he, with the wealth he has obtained, I would just enjoy the fruits of my past efforts and not risk more pain and injury.

Miss the days when Tiger ruled and Nike was trying to figure out the equipment business.  But Tiger's major days are over.  If he can ever fully recover and compete again, I think he will make the cut for most tournaments he enters.  However I don't see  him contending for wins.  With his exceptional attention to detail and personal drive, I believe he could/would make an incredible coach. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Miss the days when Tiger ruled and Nike was trying to figure out the equipment business. But Tiger's major days are over. If he can ever fully recover and compete again, I think he will make the cut for most tournaments he enters. However I don't see him contending for wins. With his exceptional attention to detail and personal drive, I believe he could/would make an incredible coach.

I'll never forget the urban legend I heard about him. Back when Nike was first getting into the equipment game, they said Tiger's equipment and balls were actually inferior to the other tour players. AND HE STILL DOMINATED!

That was the old debate back then, how good could he have been if he used Titleist or TM instead?

IMHO, It was not his equipment that got him where he was, but rather his belief in his own invincibility.  That confidence, that nobody could touch him, nobody could beat him, and that he was head and shoulders above the field was his most powerful weapon.  Even look at or talk with tour players at the time- they were intimidated by his presence.  Coupled with his tremendous talent, work ethic and desire to win, made Tiger an amazing athlete to watch.

After his "fall" from the pedestal, he lost that confidence -he knew (even if he didn't acknowledge it) that he was no longer invincible.  That intangible is gone forever.  Given the additional trouble he has had with physical issues (knee, back, etc), now that the mental "advantage" he had is gone, I don't think he will ever be able to compete at the same level again.

Golf is a mental game- What was it that Bobby Jones said, "Competitive golf is played primarily on a 5 1/2 inch course - between the ears"  and without that advantage, without that belief in oneself, you are already one step behind.

When I am hitting the ball well, I am confident that I know exactly where the ball is going - and it usually does.  When I am unsure, the tentative nature of my mind can cause a tentative swing with disastrous results.  And nobody is carrying my bag on Sunday except me, so...  Why do you think there are so many sports psychologists around today?

I loved to watch Tiger play- I loved that confidence and that ability coupled to make a complete player- without both, however, it is not the same, and that is truly unfortunate.

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

IMHO, It was not his equipment that got him where he was, but rather his belief in his own invincibility.  That confidence, that nobody could touch him, nobody could beat him, and that he was head and shoulders above the field was his most powerful weapon.  Even look at or talk with tour players at the time- they were intimidated by his presence.  Coupled with his tremendous talent, work ethic and desire to win, made Tiger an amazing athlete to watch.

After his "fall" from the pedestal, he lost that confidence -he knew (even if he didn't acknowledge it) that he was no longer invincible.  That intangible is gone forever.  Given the additional trouble he has had with physical issues (knee, back, etc), now that the mental "advantage" he had is gone, I don't think he will ever be able to compete at the same level again.

Golf is a mental game- What was it that Bobby Jones said, "Competitive golf is played primarily on a 5 1/2 inch course - between the ears"  and without that advantage, without that belief in oneself, you are already one step behind.

When I am hitting the ball well, I am confident that I know exactly where the ball is going - and it usually does.  When I am unsure, the tentative nature of my mind can cause a tentative swing with disastrous results.  And nobody is carrying my bag on Sunday except me, so...  Why do you think there are so many sports psychologists around today?

I loved to watch Tiger play- I loved that confidence and that ability coupled to make a complete player- without both, however, it is not the same, and that is truly unfortunate.

There are a lot of players today that are just as good as Tiger was in his early days. They grew up watching and idolizing Tiger's play.  I agree that the intimidation factor was huge in his ability to close out tournaments.  That's gone now.  He doesn't intimidate anyone.  No one today is going to dominate like he did, because no one is intimidating.  Anybody can win at any time, as demonstrated by the number of first-time winners this year and 3 of 4 first time major winners.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 months later...

I'd really like to see him do well, but my gut says he won't.  Should be interesting to see when he actually plays in the first tournament.  If history is any indicator, it may be a long time coming until "he's ready" not just physically cleared to play.  I think once he finally does get back in the game, he won't do too well to begin with and that will crush him.  Probably, if he'd stick it out, he could get back to form where he could be competitive.  I don't think he will though ... I suspect he'll have another "injury" and have to withdrawal from competition, which will be a shame.

I say he win's the first tournament he enters.... Which will be the local qualifier for the putt putt championship of South East Florida 😁

On the tour, makes a few cuts warming up back into competitive play then wins a tournament within the first year. No majors until year 2 back on tour.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I say he win's the first tournament he enters.... Which will be the local qualifier for the putt putt championship of South East Florida

On the tour, makes a few cuts warming up back into competitive play then wins a tournament within the first year. No majors until year 2 back on tour.

MDGolfHacker

........when he brings home the coveted gumball machine trophy at the US Open hosted by Dave's Wacky World in Vegas. Needing a hole in one on 18 to secure the championship, Tiger played it off the clown nose to land perfectly in the basketball hoop.

Honestly I feel like the game has moved on from Tiger.  Would it be good for golf if he came back and won, yes.  Do I see this happening?  No. 

A lot of comments on here how people want him to come back.  Golf is a game of honor and respect.  Both of which Tiger does not stand for.  I am sure there are others on Tour that do the exact same thing as Tiger, but it makes it hard to root for those people.

He won his last major in 2008.  We have kids that are 9 years old and really have never seen what Tiger is.  Those kids are all rooting for the likes of Justin, Jordan, DJ and Ricky. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Honestly I feel like the game has moved on from Tiger. Would it be good for golf if he came back and won, yes. Do I see this happening? No.

A lot of comments on here how people want him to come back. Golf is a game of honor and respect. Both of which Tiger does not stand for. I am sure there are others on Tour that do the exact same thing as Tiger, but it makes it hard to root for those people.

He won his last major in 2008. We have kids that are 9 years old and really have never seen what Tiger is. Those kids are all rooting for the likes of Justin, Jordan, DJ and Ricky.

I agree. Plus there are so many great young players out there I think he'll have a tough time.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I read earlier that Vijay claims he can win a major and continue to chase Nicklaus.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Tiger is done....I don't think he ever wins on tour again

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Give him 1 maybe 2 wins. 0 majors.

But I could be wrong and he goes on a tear to get on Ryder team.

Fingers crossed!

#TeamTiger

Tazz

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Is it when or if... he returns?

Several times the hype has been put out there already.

And for my 2 cents Tiger is just that in golf now; Hype. Selling, click bait, and the rest is what it or he has become.

Even during the Pres Cup he had to have his woman in toe and on your screen.

And while his grateness cannot be denied his other life situatuions cannot be either and now it is all part of the show. Just as Phil has to fill your screen with his diminished abilities so will Tiger, maybe. If he wins that would be great for him and golf. Im all for it while to this day and probably ever more it will the tiger show running in the back ground if not front and center like now.

And truthfully I couldnt care less. He is what he is and was what he was.

JT is the phenom that might just rival them all while winning majors will be the test of time as always, and untill someone surpasses Tiger it will be this endless show about this myth of a golfer. If tiger were to dispell the myth that golf ruined his knee and the rest he might have some cred with those who know but the fact that his weekend warrior fixation with real seals did him in is never broached is just more of the myth you are sold, and the truth that was and is left out. To be taught to hit a ball from the crib is what the truly greats will be made of from now on and those that were are nothing like you or me or joe hacker in the first place. It is all part of the big "show" and tiger is all about that.

Is it when or if... he returns?

Several times the hype has been put out there already.

And for my 2 cents Tiger is just that in golf now; Hype. Selling, click bait, and the rest is what it or he has become.

Even during the Pres Cup he had to have his woman in toe and on your screen.

And while his grateness cannot be denied his other life situatuions cannot be either and now it is all part of the show. Just as Phil has to fill your screen with his diminished abilities so will Tiger, maybe. If he wins that would be great for him and golf. Im all for it while to this day and probably ever more it will the tiger show running in the back ground if not front and center like now.

And truthfully I couldnt care less. He is what he is and was what he was.

JT is the phenom that might just rival them all while winning majors will be the test of time as always, and untill someone surpasses Tiger it will be this endless show about this myth of a golfer. If tiger were to dispell the myth that golf ruined his knee and the rest he might have some cred with those who know but the fact that his weekend warrior fixation with real seals did him in is never broached is just more of the myth you are sold, and the truth that was and is left out. To be taught to hit a ball from the crib is what the truly greats will be made of from now on and those that were are nothing like you or me or joe hacker in the first place. It is all part of the big "show" and tiger is all about that.

But did you see the video of him hitting stingers? He's ready to win the Masters man!

:: trolling intensifies::

PS. I love how this is a 7 year old topic but is still relevant each and every year. If you look back, OP posted the question in 2010. Much has changed since then with Tiger but much has stayed the same as well.

While he will continue to blame various physical issues, the reason why he will never be great again is all  the mental baggage he carries around.  He has done a great deal of damage to his legacy which he knows cannot be undone!

I find him kind of a sad, pathetic character a this point, particularly from a 'could-have-been-a-role-model' point of view!.. -_-

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

But did you see the video of him hitting stingers? He's ready to win the Masters man!

:: trolling intensifies::

PS. I love how this is a 7 year old topic but is still relevant each and every year. If you look back, OP posted the question in 2010. Much has changed since then with Tiger but much has stayed the same as well.

He can't win the Masters hitting only stingers.  The only way that he will contend again is if he can play 3 tournaments in a row, hitting shots at full speed... pain free.  Unless his swing has changed enough to take stress off his body, I don't see that happening.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You haven't ever made it until you have this level of hate. You guys hold people who tee the ball up to an unfairly high standard. Golf isn't a game of integrity and respect when we don't let girls win because they're girls, John Daly STILL has pizza pants, and guys on IG are hitting each other with golf carts -- it's just a game. The guy cheated on his wife and is addicted to pain meds, the narrative isn't new and I'm sure it has happened to other golfers, or even members of your family. The media just likes to see people fall from the top because it's a longer way down.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I don't see him ever winning again.   I think it would be good for the game, good for TV, good for sponsors, but I don't see it happening.   And if Tiger can't win, I don't see him making token  appearances just for the money.   

Driver, Callaway Epic:

Fairway Wood, Callaway Epic Flash 

Hybrid, Callaway Apex

Irons, Callaway Apex Pro Irons 5 to UW S Flex:

Wedges, Callaway MD3, 54, 58. Callaway Forged 60

Putter, Odyssey O works, #1 Tank, counter balanced

If Tiger is able to walk and play without pain, I expect him to play in Dubai IF they are willing to pay $2M appearance money.  I'm not sure they would do that. 

I'm not sure Tiger could hang with Barnhard Langer on the Champions Tour much less Justin Thomas and the rest of the young guns on the regular tour......

Cleveland

Archived