Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

When Tiger returns to the PGA, how do you think he'll do?

Moecat

As much as I would love to see Tiger make a comeback into golf, I don't think it's going to happen.  I have a back injury from lifting in high school without proper form and fusion was an option for me.  The surgeon explained it as fusing vertebrae makes the surrounding vertebra wear out faster.  The surrounding discs take on double the pressure causing them to wear out faster than normal.  I can only imagine someone at Tiger's level, how much stress they put on their backs.  When the vertebra around it wears out, you then have to fuse that one in with the others and continuing the loop.  

Tiger has done so much for the game of golf, and I honestly think he needs it in his life for that competition.  For both the game's, and his own sake, I hope he does return.  I think the only way to successfully do it is to take it easy in the beginning and be smart.  Play the Hero, then take a few weeks off, and then go again.  Don't try to go from the Hero playing every week.  Allow his body to slowly adjust to the competitive pace.  That will also give the doctors/trainers time to evaluate after each round how to adjust lifting and recovery methods to target problem areas.  I have a feeling that if he has one more injury to his back, he's going to have to say he's officially done.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far so good! 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

• 1 month later...

I think he will struggle be kind of a middle of the road player. But it will be good to see him back out there if he can stay healthy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sean - New Lenox,IL Play RH HDC 7

What's in the Bag:

Driver Callaway Great Big Bertha

Fairway Nike Vapor Fly

Hybrid Nike VR-S Covert 2 Tour

Irons/Wedges:Callaway Apex Pro 16

Volkey SM5 50/55/60 degree

Putter Benttinardi Studio B

I think he will struggle be kind of a middle of the road player. But it will be good to see him back out there if he can stay healthy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think he'll be in the top 10, especially with the play he exhibited at his tiger tournament. I'm excited to see him back.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I think he'll be in the top 10, especially with the play he exhibited at his tiger tournament. I'm excited to see him back.

MDGolfHacker

While I would LOVE to see that. I think he'll have a tough time putting 4 rounds together. He'll probably do well in the regular tournaments and may even win one, but I just don't see him contending for any of the Majors.

Quite honestly, I think he can feel good about his major season if he even makes all 4 cuts. Let's not forget that's a tough feat in and of itself.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Coming back at Torrey Pines is a tough start even though he's done well there in the past.  A successful start to 2018 will be making the cut.  Course is in a different league than at the Hero.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It will be interesting to see how he executes on this caliber of course. I think it will be a true benchmark as to where his game is currently at. Also, I just purchased my tickets and will be at Torrey Pines on Friday! If I get a chance to see him, I'll give you my thoughts on what I saw. Back in 2009, I had the opportunity to follow him Sunday at Hazeltine National when he fell short to Y.E. Yang. I think a healthy and competitive Tiger brings an excitement to the game unlike anyone I've witnessed.

In my bag

Driver  :cobra-small:  F8+ 

Fairway:  :cobra-small: F8+ (15°)

UT:   :callaway-small:  XForged 18°

Irons:   :ping-small:  i200 (4-PW)

Wedge:   :callaway-small:  62 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 52 | 56

Putter:  Odyssey Dual Force 2

• 2 months later...

Out of curiosity and a follow up to the previous comments, how do you all assess Tiger now?  He has played a couple tournaments now and is gearing up for the Masters.  Has he exceeded everyone's expectations?  I think he is doing great, and from a injury rehab perspective on his back he looks like he is going about this comeback the right way by easing himself back into it.  I hope he wins the Masters.

Tiger has had 4 back surgeries and a spinal fusion. He is playing well now, It is a great story if he wins some events. I think I would like to see him win one or more. It is short term though. His body is pretty used up and I don't see him playing at a professional level for long. My concern would be, have the doctors told him yet one more swing and you might be paralyzed? I really doubt physically that he should be playing. My understanding is Payton Manning was told one more hit could lead to paralysis and he played two or three more seasons.

This is purely desire to compete and win one or more majors before he is done. This looks like it is dancing on the fine line between greatness, ego, and insanity. Only time will tell which side of the line he lands on. I hope he succeeds I personally like a good story, especially since he is doing this regardless of whether he should be playing.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

Tiger has had 4 back surgeries and a spinal fusion. He is playing well now, It is a great story if he wins some events. I think I would like to see him win one or more. It is short term though. His body is pretty used up and I don't see him playing at a professional level for long. My concern would be, have the doctors told him yet one more swing and you might be paralyzed? I really doubt physically that he should be playing. My understanding is Payton Manning was told one more hit could lead to paralysis and he played two or three more seasons.

This is purely desire to compete and win one or more majors before he is done. This looks like it is dancing on the fine line between greatness, ego, and insanity. Only time will tell which side of the line he lands on. I hope he succeeds I personally like a good story, especially since he is doing this regardless of whether he should be playing.

Can't compare Peyton to Tiger, no 300+ lb guys are tackling TW to the ground. After Manning came back he was a shell of his former self. The D won the Broncos that last chip, I don't think Peyton himself would try to argue against that, the guy threw for like 100 yards in that game.

Going back 2-3 pages has me smiling ear to ear.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Because of this?

giphy.gif

Nah, just the amount of doubt and hate on the GOAT.

edit: also, people coming to quick judgement because of personal injuries. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

300lb guys or not, there's a serious amount of force involved in his swing. I certainly don't want him to get really hurt, but with this much history of injury to his back, I'd be nervous.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Can't compare Peyton to Tiger, no 300+ lb guys are tackling TW to the ground. After Manning came back he was a shell of his former self. The D won the Broncos that last chip, I don't think Peyton himself would try to argue against that, the guy threw for like 100 yards in that game.

Going back 2-3 pages has me smiling ear to ear.

While no 300 pound guy is hitting tiger, he is known for his strength and this sport requires a lot of force on the back and spine when taking a full swing. So I would not be surprised if his physical risks over time of continuing to play are not all that different from Payton manning getting hit one time. A back fusion to my understanding involves metal rods being screwed to your spinal column. Twisting that area with force is going to involve risk to the fused area. My father had a fusion and one of his vertebrae cracked. The surgery had to be redone and extended. It really would surprise me if Dr's have not told him that he is at high risk playing profession golf of doing significantly more damage to his spine.

In any event personally I wish him the best as I think it will be more interesting if he succeeds than fails. He is playing better at the moment than I ever thought he would based upon injury history. I will go back to my original postion though that whatever his degree of success it is short term. But I guess that is being captain obvious as he is in his 40's anyway which is end of days for any pro.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

Archived