TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is GolfWRX even relevant anymore?

Springbok

This is not meant to be a bashing thread. It is actually a serious question. It goes to show the influence of redesigning your site.

1) I go allllllll the way back to GolfOpinions.com. It was the second influential golf forum, and the one that spawned BombSquadGolf, and GolfWRX. After GO redesigned it's site... it was never the same, and eventually disappeared into oblivion. I have noticed a substantial decrease in active viewing on WRX since their redesign. I have also noticed a "Old format coming back" sign that just keeps changing months. It was supposed to have returned 6 months ago.

2) But besides the forums... you don't see any mention of the site in publications or news anymore. You see a lot of MGS mentions.

3) They don't do any informative articles. Everything published is literally advertising for new releases.

4) Nobody there seems to "care" anymore. There just seems to be no effort put in. No drive from those that run it.

They really have lost their edge. I am not privy to internet traffic numbers but I would think that MGS has closed the gap on WRX. I am going to compare this to Shiels vs Crossfield, where Crossfield had 200K youtube subscribers and Shiels had 50K. Sheils now has almost 700K and Crossfield hasn't reached 300K. It was for the same reason. Crossfield changed format... and appeared to "give up", while Shiels pushed and expanded.

Thoughts?

If you think that a forum with roughly 400k subscribers is irrelevant you might want to reconsider. You ask anyone around about golf forums wrx is usually the first one threat gets mentioned. Mgs has done a lot and are recognized via the most wanted.

Each golf forum has their unique offering. Mgs does a great job at testing, etc around gear.

wrx did a website/server upgrade to make things better and to be able to do more things going forward. That’s not something that gets done by leadership that doesn’t care.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I used to be a participant on WRX forums but after a while it didn't provide value for me. I know a number of MGS members are active participants in WRX and it seems to work for them. Nothing wrong with either approach - the old adage "different strokes for different folks" applies here.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Rory McIlroy has literally made mentions of WRX within the last year and Chirs Voshall from Mizuno has done a small handful of podcasts with them. I don't think they're irrelevant. I also don't think they offer much that you couldn't get elsewhere and find the vast majority of their content to be of little value. Occasionally, they will have an instruction article, or breaking news on tour that catches my attention, but not much TBH. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to Is GolfWRX even relevant anymore?

They are hardly irrelevant. Since thier upgrade they no longer support Tapatalk. Which is truly disappointing because I have to go to the webpage in order to view threads and I dont find it even remotely easy to navigate. I participate in car forums as much as I do golf so using a common platform is very important to me.
The GolfWRX active member is a hard core golfer. They know thier stuff. The member of say HP is more of a casual golfer but still very active members. I find MGS to be somewhere in the middle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

i think this sums it up very well. 

I still go on WRX,....obvisouly not near the amount I did before joining MGS, but I like to keep track of what the competing sites are doing.  Well at least them, I don't so much worry about the third one.   WRX does indeed have a large knowledgeable membership. 

However, the one thing I have witnessed first hand and heard many times, is it's not the most welcoming of sites to newer golfers or members who have a differing opinion.

I think that's THE absolute best thing about the membership here, you guys value everyone's opinion, whether it's a scratch golfer or a brand new player who shoots 110.   There truly is no class system here.

And of course the full honest unbiased opinions on the member reviews is something you don't see much of on the other sites.   If something works well, they will say so, if something isn't great, they will say so in a very constructive but yet honest way. 

I do love how MGS is becoming more well known then perhaps the other two.   On a side note, the Wilson Rep just left my shop this morning, I've known him for 15 years, but he somehow didn't know my role with MGS.  When I mentioned it, he got very excited saying Wilson LOVES MGS...ha   So we spent a bit of time talking about what MGS does.  He admitted his a bit of old timer and not real up on SM but says he's going to have to get more involved.    That is all said, to say every rep I have spoken to this year has nothing but great things to say about MGS.   Well all except for one 🙂

Who is the one??  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

1 hour ago, chisag said:

But too many members find some kind of thrill mocking others or just arguing. Instead of being able to inform or share and also learn, I spend most of my time trying not to argue with members that are really only interested in doing just that. 

THIS ^^^^

I now dont frequent wrx due to this and havent been back since joining MGS 18 months ago.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Forums are like instructors - you'll almost always be able to find one that "speaks" to you and you learn a lot from it.

WRX is still huge for traffic, and seems to focus a lot on what's going on with tour players, WITB, etc. The instruction forum used to be really good (I first found Monte there and I still follow his stuff, buy his videos, etc), but it's definitely waned over the years. That subforum was my main reason for going there, but almost never happens anymore.

I'll just say this - all those clubs in the store with stickers on the handle or head touting how great they tested almost always have the MGS logo... not that of a competing forum 😉

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I still visit both, but I get far more value here and participate in more conversations here as a result, with my reasons echoing all that was mentioned above.

The one place where WRX still has an edge IMO is in the classifieds. I would assume that the classifieds page here picks up as the site's popularity continues to grow, though. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

I have been on forums since 2006 - I was quite active on Bombsquadgolf and WRX. BSG got so negative - I like Marcus a lot but it got to be a place I never went to and there was no discussion at all. I went to WRX and was very involved there but when I was in my car accident in 2014 I didn't go there for a few years and when I came back it seemed like a different place. I still go to WRX nearly every day to read articles and go to the Classified thread but that's about it. MGS is the place where I'm active in forums and discussions. Everyone here seems to speak respectfully to each other which I really appreciate. WRX is far from irrelevant but it has changed - as everything is apt to do. There is enough negativity in my world that I don’t want it in my free time if at all possible. Golf and watches are areas, outside of my profession, that I know a fair bit about but the lack of negativity I want starts with me and how I share my opinions on watch and golf forums. There are certain watch forums I no longer use for the same reason - trolls are everywhere unfortunately. I'm glad I found MGS - for the most part I really enjoy the discussions here and all of us need to continue to work at keeping things here informative, civil and fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Well said. Relevant content on both, but I spend much more time on MGS...

XXIO 9 Driver, MP-900 shaft (S-flex), 9.5* loft

XXIO 9 3-Wood, MP-900 Shaft (S-flex), 15 * loft

Tor Edge Exotics E8 4-Wood Regular Flex Bassara shaft, 16.5 * loft

XXIO 9 Hybrids (4H & 5H), MP-900 shaft (S-R flex)

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons (5-PW), Recoil 95 F2 shafts

Callaway X-Tour Raw Wedge (54* loft, 13* bounce)

Callaway X-Tour Raw Wedge (60* loft, 9* bounce)

Odyssey Mid Two-Ball Armlock Putter 

4 hours ago, golfertrb said:

I have been on forums since 2006 - I was quite active on Bombsquadgolf and WRX. BSG got so negative - I like Marcus a lot but it got to be a place I never went to and there was no discussion at all. I went to WRX and was very involved there but when I was in my car accident in 2014 I didn't go there for a few years and when I came back it seemed like a different place. I still go to WRX nearly every day to read articles and go to the Classified thread but that's about it. MGS is the place where I'm active in forums and discussions. Everyone here seems to speak respectfully to each other which I really appreciate. WRX is far from irrelevant but it has changed - as everything is apt to do. There is enough negativity in my world that I don’t want it in my free time if at all possible. Golf and watches are areas, outside of my profession, that I know a fair bit about but the lack of negativity I want starts with me and how I share my opinions on watch and golf forums. There are certain watch forums I no longer use for the same reason - trolls are everywhere unfortunately. I'm glad I found MGS - for the most part I really enjoy the discussions here and all of us need to continue to work at keeping things here informative, civil and fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're really glad you found us as well. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Also here at MGS we don't  ******** the name of WRX like it does to MyGolfSpy 

Absolutely......however we personally feel about another blog, we at MGS do not throw them under the bus. Always take the high road when mentioning another blog.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra F8(10.5*) w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(17.0*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid; Ben Hogan PTx 5-PW w/Recoil 460 graphite shafts; Ben Hogan TKt Gw(49*) SW(53*) LW(57*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Tommy Armour Impact #3 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I tried WRX briefly and it didn't fit for me.  I honestly can't remember why I stopped going there, and rarely posted, but for me looking at a hundred close up pics of pros bags and clubs at tour events just didn't interest me in the least.  I mean, I know what a golf club looks like, and I know what I play.  I didn't see the point of taking 15 pictures of some pro's 7 iron from about 15 different angles, zooms, etc.

Not bashing that if that is your thing, but it's just not for me.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I go to WRX a few times a week. Not to the forum just the main site. I occasionally find something of interest. All golf sites are different and... the same in one way or another. They're all competing for eyeballs/clicks I suppose. However, I haven't seen WRX get into cutting golf balls in half yet. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I regularly visit three different golf forums, including WRX.  For me, the Rules section at WRX is more active than at any of the others, and there are a number of well-informed and knowledgeable posters there.  There is also an occasional interesting thread in the Instruction and Travel areas.  The rest just holds no interest for me. But as many others have said, there are quite a few rude, sarcastic, and just plain nasty posters along with the good ones.  

I think that each of the forums that I visit has good points, obviously, or I wouldn't use them.  MGS has without a doubt, the most civil and considerate users of any.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I remember BombSquadGolf in the early 2000’s. They were BigHitter’s in pushing tour van gear and Matrix Ozik shafts. There wasn’t an alternative on the internet and anyone who was a golf gear head had limited choices in where to talk shop.

Why bring them up?

They were heavy on pushing their internal sales and self-promotion.

The key here is that each site and forum has their “thing” that attracts people. THP and WRX each have their thing and for me, MGS is the one I’m drawn toward.

I’m exclusive to MGS. The equipment studies and transparency are up there but above all, the quality of discussion and discourse keeps me coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

46 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I remember BombSquadGolf in the early 2000’s. They were BigHitter’s emoji6.png in pushing tour van gear and Matrix Ozik shafts. There wasn’t an alternative on the internet and anyone who was a golf gear head had limited choices in where to talk shop.

Why bring them up?

They were heavy on pushing their internal sales and self-promotion.

The key here is that each site and forum has their “thing” that attracts people. THP and WRX each have their thing and for me, MGS is the one I’m drawn toward.

I’m exclusive to MGS. The equipment studies and transparency are up there but above all, the quality of discussion and discourse keeps me coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Same here. I searched around a lot and MGS seemed like the best with an active community. That is a big thing for me, the community. For me golf is just as much about the game as it is about the people. 

I have not been active on any other groups mostly because the engagement was not there. 

Driver:    :taylormade-small:  M2 9.5°

3 Wood:  :taylormade-small: Jetspeed

Irons:      :taylormade-small: RocketBallz 

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Mill Grind 2 50° - Tour Preferred EF 54° & 60°

Putter:    :taylormade-small: Ghost Tour Black Maranello

Ball :        :titelist-small:  ProV1

3 minutes ago, Rantings said:

This whole topic is a mesh sheer “what I think”. Most of these websites, including here, aren’t necessary but entertainment driven. 

Isn’t almost everything ever written on the internet a “what i think” comment.   

And i will argue entertainment is necessary 😁

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I still post on WRX and I dont find it to be really any different than it ever once.  I think its still the largest forum there is and has a wealth of information.

I post on several golf forums (THP, WRX and this one) and I like them all but they are differrent.  I guess that I dont really care which one people think is the best or is the most relevant.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X