TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is GolfWRX even relevant anymore?

Springbok

I am pretty new to MGS, but I immediately see a difference in the types of posts.  With WRX the negative people really come out aggressively while the positive people rarely post anything.  It makes it seem that only negative things are being said about a product or story.  MGS members are more apt to post positive comments and there doesn't seem to be a fear that by doing so you will invite a storm of negativity down on you.  The "troll" effect is much higher over there.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Ventus 6x Patriot Edition

:callaway-small:X-Hot 4 wood - HZRDUS smoke 70x

:callaway-small:Apex 21 combo set (Apex 4-7, Pro 8,9, MB P,A) Modus Tour 120x

:callaway-small:MD5 wedges (54, 60) Modus Tour 120X

EV3D Custom Ares mallet center shaft putter

:callaway-small:Chrome Soft Truvis yellow/black

... I wrote reviews on WRX many years ago. 2 officially for WRX and the others what I called Best Of PGA Show for every category. Since it was only what I thought was the Best of any category like driver, iron, hybrid, snacks, tees etc, of course they were glowing reviews because they were all The Best at the show. But sooooo many negative comments about being a shill, paid by the OEM's, being dishonest and even "you never even hit the club, just collected your payola" so I stopped posting them there. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

15 hours ago, chisag said:

... I wrote reviews on WRX many years ago. 2 officially for WRX and the others what I called Best Of PGA Show for every category. Since it was only what I thought was the Best of any category like driver, iron, hybrid, snacks, tees etc, of course they were glowing reviews because they were all The Best at the show. But sooooo many negative comments about being a shill, paid by the OEM's, being dishonest and even "you never even hit the club, just collected your payola" so I stopped posting them there. 

Are you going to the show this year? I always enjoy your feedback.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

Are you going to the show this year? I always enjoy your feedback.

... Thanks, I appreciate that. While my herniated disc is doing much better, it is still not healed to where I could drive or even fly to Orlando. So I have not ruled out going to the show but how I feel the next few weeks will dictate my plans. The last thing I want to do is set back my winter even further. I was supposed to be in Phoenix Jan 1 and have pushed that back to a tentative Feb 1 but will postpone further if needed. So it doesn't look good for the show, but I have not ruled it out. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

25 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Thanks, I appreciate that. While my herniated disc is doing much better, it is still not healed to where I could drive or even fly to Orlando. So I have not ruled out going to the show but how I feel the next few weeks will dictate my plans. The last thing I want to do is set back my winter even further. I was supposed to be in Phoenix Jan 1 and have pushed that back to a tentative Feb 1 but will postpone further if needed. So it doesn't look good for the show, but I have not ruled it out. 

I had totally forgotten about the back injury. I hope it works out soon!

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I have been a member over there for a little over 14 years. I posted a ton when I played a lot, maintained my industry connections, etc. The forum got huge and it certainly changed as all forums do when they get bigger. I've been a lurker here over the last seven years. I've played less golf and haven't felt the need to club ho as much. I enjoy the equipment tests (they're great to keep an eye on one year old equipment by looking at the prior year's results). 

The big thing - I really like how civil and circumspect this thread has been. It seems representative of the general vibe here. Hopefully I'll be around more as I move back to a climate that allows me to play more golf. 

Golf WRX is still very relevant in the industry and have their own niche or space in the industry. But every guy in the forums hits it 350 off the tee, talks down to anyone who plays blades (unless you are Rory or Tiger) and every poster is an expert in the field on every subject....

but the articles and equipment previews and reviews are great. Its just the forums that should be cleaned up from all the haters.

MGS is totally different, especially with the way they test and change the industry.  The ball review was unbelievable and im looking fwd to the driver review bc for the 1st time in 10 years, im buying a driver this spring. Maybe some irons too.....

Golf is cool

On 1/2/2020 at 8:17 AM, gregh729 said:

I belong to both sites as well.  Definitely different cultures. I am not sure if it due to size only.  This site has always been more of a social, friendly place. I am part of the a local group on WRX and there is a lot of animosity within that group as well.  As Mr. Hicksta called it, the GTFO mentality. IF you don't agree with either the poster or the self proclaimed expert, then they dismiss any of your views. Essentially telling you the GTFO.  I get real tired of it, and have backed off a lot because of it.

That is why I stay in the two sections I mentioned over there mostly--- No one acts like that in those 2 sections

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I belong to several forums and  Golf WRX.  I've learned that some WRX guys are of a brash nature. Mostly I get  long with them because I'm fairly passive. There are other forums THat really are nothing but a selling tool for the OEM. As some of my buddies call it, friends and family forum, and for a good reason.  Been a member here at MGS for a while but really haven't posted much for one reason or another. Like the layout, conversation and topics and the people seem to be genuine. 

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Ping Tour 65

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

Scotty Cameron Custom welded LN 

Grips- GP MCC+4

I belong to several forums and  Golf WRX.  I've learned that some WRX guys are of a brash nature. Mostly I get  long with them because I'm fairly passive. There are other forums THat really are nothing but a selling tool for the OEM. As some of my buddies call it, friends and family forum, and for a good reason.  Been a member here at MGS for a while but really haven't posted much for one reason or another. Like the layout, conversation and topics and the people seem to be genuine. 
I like what you did THere....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

I am long time member on several other sites GolfWRX one of them. Do not post on WRX anymore just use it for historical research regarding older content (club-making, classic clubs).

MGS is as many are saying much more courteous and respectful which I appreciate. MGS is my number one in my book and I am enjoying watching it grow.

And I do feel WRX is relevant but not to the degree it once was. There are alternatives or something for just about any golfer type. I do participate at HP and read golf swing instruction threads over at STrap. I collect putters and miss PT (the TP Mills section especially). 

I did the whole GolfWRX thing. For a period of time, it was great and there were some great folks who were knowledgeable and passionate about golf. It used to be a valuable resource to the inside gouge on what was going on in the golf industry. It was a great resource to past times too. The problem  is (in my opinion anyway) the drive to recruit new forum members who clearly had no intention of contributing in a positive way to posts started to detract from the seasoned members who made it what it was. They drove out the people who made it great - who soon got tired of getting into arguments, childish trash talk and fanboy antics. Yours truly took a certain amount of flak over the years until eventually I quit. Good friends like Howard Jones still posts occasionally but the vibe is much different these days. Personally, I can take or leave forums as the mood or interest takes these days. Consider yourself lucky I still care.

It gets old when someone posts a thread seeking other's opinions on some topic and tells people who are offering an opinion they are "WRONG". This is happening way too often which makes the site hard to take seriously. It seems that there are more and more members who want to only post about the latest wares. I also love how almost every member hits the ball as far as DJ, Keopka or Bubba. It seems as if the site is becoming more of a self promotion site.

Of course I have a passion for Persimmon woods and the Classic/Persimmon/Hickory board is quickly losing steam. I went back to FB, after telling myself I would never do that, because of the Persimmon Society there and a private family group.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I belong over there too but I don't post much here or there.  As others have said I come to both mostly to read and search for ideas. Right now I am looking for a putting mat. I have found some good deals and bought a few things over there on their classifieds.

Driver-Ping G400 9° S shaft

3-wood-Ping G400 SFT 16° S shaft

5-wood-Ping TISI Tec 17° S shaft

5-SW Ping G400 Black R shaft

W2 Ping Nickel ISI 49.5°

Odyssey 2ball LH

The critique here is on the social media side....TC and company are arrogant and really get political. Im glad the forums are its own beast. Ive stopped following them on twitter and just keep it to golf over here

Golf is cool

I'm a member over there also, but it's very negative.  I love the pro WITB and the classifieds.  But it seems like every PGA thread turns into a bashing thread on somebody (Rory, Koepka, Rickie) and I don't need the negativity.  I have found MGS and have been very happy.  Even when people disagree, they don't go to name calling or worse.  

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

42 minutes ago, Jwhite86 said:

I'm a member over there also, but it's very negative.  I love the pro WITB and the classifieds.  But it seems like every PGA thread turns into a bashing thread on somebody (Rory, Koepka, Rickie) and I don't need the negativity.  I have found MGS and have been very happy.  Even when people disagree, they don't go to name calling or worse.  

Yeah it can be a jungle there on the main threads--- I am over there too and mostly stay in the Classic Golf and Golfers section and the Clubhouse Grille section of the 19th hole. I got into it the other day on the tour thread and it escalated. I spoke my piece and if I get a time out I will not be back. Never have had the name calling and such over here

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 6/8/2020 at 4:35 PM, RobotDoctor said:

It gets old when someone posts a thread seeking other's opinions on some topic and tells people who are offering an opinion they are "WRONG". This is happening way too often which makes the site hard to take seriously. It seems that there are more and more members who want to only post about the latest wares. I also love how almost every member hits the ball as far as DJ, Keopka or Bubba. It seems as if the site is becoming more of a self promotion site.

Of course I have a passion for Persimmon woods and the Classic/Persimmon/Hickory board is quickly losing steam. I went back to FB, after telling myself I would never do that, because of the Persimmon Society there and a private family group.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Yep I forgot about you being over there too and on PGS on facebook. Yep if I get banned over there you know how to find me here on our little deal

G

On 6/6/2020 at 12:08 AM, aerospace_ray said:

I am long time member on several other sites GolfWRX one of them. Do not post on WRX anymore just use it for historical research regarding older content (club-making, classic clubs).

MGS is as many are saying much more courteous and respectful which I appreciate. MGS is my number one in my book and I am enjoying watching it grow.

And I do feel WRX is relevant but not to the degree it once was. There are alternatives or something for just about any golfer type. I do participate at HP and read golf swing instruction threads over at STrap. I collect putters and miss PT (the TP Mills section especially). 

Hey Ray what type of Mills do you collect? I have a boat load of the Spalding ones and one Mizuno

G

20 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Hey Ray what type of Mills do you collect? I have a boat load of the Spalding ones and one Mizuno

Current Mills is a hand made that David did for me about 5 years ago. It's the #12 w/kickback hosel and rocker sole. The 12 is my all time favorite putter design. First one I had was late 70's version with the tiny pencil/fluted shaft. My bent grass special as I could shape just about any putt needed on fast, hard breaking bent greens. Made my buddies buy many cola's and snacks when they would challenge me (poor man/kids skin challenges) 😃.

I also collect and love the Softtails, Heritage, Traditons and Nellie models.

37 minutes ago, jd1993 said:

In looking at GolfWRX, it seems a bit disorganized to me. I love the organization here of how things are laid out and really intuitive. I think GolfWRX would take a lot of moderating and cleanup to turn it into what I understand it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with the disorganized point. I am a long time member over there although not a consistent member. Have mainly used it for research regarding things I am interested in such as old persimmon woods, classic irons and the club making areas. I very much enjoy MGS and love its forum lay out-design. 

I love the community here, folks are much nicer, and i have gotten to know a lot of people here (at least online).

However, there is definitely much more action on the Classifieds on golfwrx. WRXers will buy three drivers at a time, hit 10 balls with each, and then all three are up for sale because they are going back to their gamer.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

11 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

Current Mills is a hand made that David did for me about 5 years ago. It's the #12 w/kickback hosel and rocker sole. The 12 is my all time favorite putter design. First one I had was late 70's version with the tiny pencil/fluted shaft. My bent grass special as I could shape just about any putt needed on fast, hard breaking bent greens. Made my buddies buy many cola's and snacks when they would challenge me (poor man/kids skin challenges) 😃.

I also collect and love the Softtails, Heritage, Traditons and Nellie models.

Ok cool you are into the newer ones-- Yep I have quite a few with the 223 pencil shaft---- The newest one I own is a Mizuno #1--- what is funny is I always wanted that very one. Did a trade deal in December and found out I could not putt with it worth a hoot but love the looks of it. 

G

I am a member of and follow both. WRX can be excellent in learning about equipment and fitting (Howard Jones and a couple of others come to mind), but I have been flamed over there rather impolitely for stating my opinion on something and rather than argue, I just walked away, even though in my experience, what I said was true.

If they go away, I won't miss it that much.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

10 hours ago, paperclip said:

I am a member of and follow both. WRX can be excellent in learning about equipment and fitting (Howard Jones and a couple of others come to mind), but I have been flamed over there rather impolitely for stating my opinion on something and rather than argue, I just walked away, even though in my experience, what I said was true.

If they go away, I won't miss it that much.

Yep I read Howard every time he posts

G

3 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Yep I read Howard every time he posts

Stuart G is another.  Dude is a machine.  I mean that in a good way.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

13 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Ok cool you are into the newer ones-- Yep I have quite a few with the 223 pencil shaft---- The newest one I own is a Mizuno #1--- what is funny is I always wanted that very one. Did a trade deal in December and found out I could not putt with it worth a hoot but love the looks of it. 

Well yes to the new ones but at one time I had most all the original TPM's (both the #'s and Roman Numeral ones). Sold all but the 12's, wish I had kept them. I found out through research (after the fact) that while some were stamped Spalding, they were actually made in T-town or finished there. Mine were the old ones (70's/80's). IMO you have some treasures with the .223 pencil shafts -- that feel is unique to say the least. 

Side story, One year at Shoal Creek, I was volunteering on driving range. I walk up to the putting green to see if the pro's have plenty of new Titleist to putt with. It was unusually quiet and many of the pro's were on one side of the green huddled around a staff bag. I waited until they cleared out and went about their practice and walked over. Mother of God I couldn't believe my eyes, a whole bag of handmade tour Mills. Bet I took 30 pics on my phone before this guy walks over, it was David Mills. Very nice guy. I ordered my #12 right after that.  Highlight of week volunteering. 

Apologies for trying to turn this thread into a Mills one... 😀

5 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

Well yes to the new ones but at one time I had most all the original TPM's (both the #'s and Roman Numeral ones). Sold all but the 12's, wish I had kept them. I found out through research (after the fact) that while some were stamped Spalding, they were actually made in T-town or finished there. Mine were the old ones (70's/80's). IMO you have some treasures with the .223 pencil shafts -- that feel is unique to say the least. 

Side story, One year at Shoal Creek, I was volunteering on driving range. I walk up to the putting green to see if the pro's have plenty of new Titleist to putt with. It was unusually quiet and many of the pro's were on one side of the green huddled around a staff bag. I waited until they cleared out and went about their practice and walked over. Mother of God I couldn't believe my eyes, a whole bag of handmade tour Mills. Bet I took 30 pics on my phone before this guy walks over, it was David Mills. Very nice guy. I ordered my #12 right after that.  Highlight of week volunteering. 

Apologies for trying to turn this thread into a Mills one... 😀

No need to apologize here we get off the subject quite a bit around here. All but one of my Mills believe it or not came of the scrap pile at work. For some reason I get a run on putters. For a while it was TPM and then Bulls Eyes. 

G

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

No need to apologize here we get off the subject quite a bit around here. 

And in true MGS fashion us MODs don't slap anybody's hands when it happenes. 

Like most things around here the members did a great job of managing things their selves !

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12