TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is GolfWRX even relevant anymore?

Springbok

I started on 4GEA, then was there and WRX.  While on WRX I went into the putter business.  I started with Sizemore and LUX helping them with personalization and customization of some of their putters.   I was suspended soooo many times when people would ask questions about my putters or post about them and then when I answered I would get suspended often.   Their email was "You are not allowed to comment or peddle your putters on WRX unless you are a sponsor."  I explained that a member had asked a question that only I or my partner would be able to answer about our putters, and that by his reasoning I should never reply in any threads about our company.  He reply was you are correct you cannot start a thread or reply to a thread about your putters on WRX unless you are a sponsor.

We were a small company making custom putters for guys that didn't want to pay the big name prices, I never made a dime from SSB, but they wanted us to fork out 1500 a month to become a sponsor.  Well when you are basically doing something to help the golfing public as a side gig and pricing so that people can afford them, you can't also make a pile of money.  We offered to make a custom putter every month and allow them to do a give away, or even two putters per month.  They wanted no part of anything that didn't line their pockets.

Now this was 2006ish through 2011.  I was also a member here, and no I never started any threads but I never got gobsmacked or suspended for replying to a question.   This was about the time that Ashley Mayo did an article on custom putters for Golf Digest and someone had asked a question about it, yes she interviewed us and we were mentioned.   The fact that MGS had no issue with me answering a question, but WRX and THP both wanted sponsorships for me to even think about responding to a question about our putters is why I still end up here a lot.  

There are some really knowledgeable club fitters on WRX is the main reason I stay and the club building and repair section is where I spend most of my time picking up tidbits from a couple of knowledgeable members.

Clubs in great standing

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS - Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - UST Mamiya Black 79X
  • 5 Wood - Taylormade Sim Max - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron, Srixon ZX7 (6-9)  - Recoil 110 F5
  • Wedges - Cleveland 46, 50*, 54*, & 60* Zipcore mid bounce - Recoil 110 F5
  • Putter -  Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter, LAB MEZZ.1  - BGT Stability

Clubs in good standing(fighting for one spot)....

• 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named - UST Mamiya Black 79TX | Util - Callaway Apex X Forged UTIL 21* - AD-DI | Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5 | Util - Callaway UW 19* - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5

Clubs that need a timeout/replacing

On 9/12/2021 at 8:04 PM, BIG STU said:

Glad ( again) you are here. As you brouse you will recognize some folks from the old WRX days on here. Actually I was a member here before I was on WRX---

I got banned on 4GEA in the early 2000's through the MB Golf Talk forum.  There was a thread about Ocean Harbor and Marsh Harbor, well my family has been big in that Ocean Isle area for 30+ years and I know all about the Williamsons.  I posted a few things I knew about what was going on, how OIB island came to be owned by one person, and why Ed bought Sunset, and quite a bit about The Pearl, Angels Trace, both Harbors, OIB Golf Course, the Big Cats and some others.  I got a ban thrown up on me and a few other things.

It was pretty laughable.  Shoot I believe I still own the course record at Ocean Harbor, I set it right before my knee surgery in college, and a few years later it shut down and Davaun park now has homes covering about three of the holes out there since they let their land lease lapse from lack of upkeep.

I vacationed and still do in the OIB area, it's been going on 35 years now.  I lived there for 6 years as well.  I still wish Marsh Harbor would open back up, and I wish Ocean would re route for the few holes lost and open up as well.

Clubs in great standing

• Putter -  Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter, LAB MEZZ.1  - BGT Stability

• 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named - UST Mamiya Black 79TX | Util - Callaway Apex X Forged UTIL 21* - AD-DI | Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5 | Util - Callaway UW 19* - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5

On 9/25/2019 at 8:03 AM, Springbok said:

I go allllllll the way back to GolfOpinions.com. It was the second influential golf forum, and the one that spawned BombSquadGolf, and GolfWRX.

You just made my day.   I miss GO terribly.  I co-founded GolfOpinions.com with eight other individuals and we happily ran it for years.    As the site grew and more and more time was required from each of us, we decided to sell it.   GO was a labor of love, not a living for any of the partners.   GO sold at least one more time after our sale which eventually lead it to being a part of GolfWRX.   So, the "redesign" you're referring to was not us (the original owners), but the group that bought GO from us.   I'm still in touch with several of my old GO partners and even made a trip to Pinehurst with Snowdale (if by chance you remember the GO name) back in June.   

Thanks again for making my day!  

Edited by MarkCPA

default_taylormade-small(1).jpg.85912868199b94e166402712fb9f64b0.jpg Stealth 2 Plus 10.5* driver

default_ping-small.jpg.f0dadf3a40970feec67664677f8eff49.jpg G425 14.5*, 17.5* FWs

default_ping-small.jpg.f0dadf3a40970feec67664677f8eff49.jpg G425 22* hybrid

default_ping-small.jpg.f0dadf3a40970feec67664677f8eff49.jpg i230 irons, 5 - W

default_ping-small.jpg.f0dadf3a40970feec67664677f8eff49.jpg Glide 4.0 S 50*, 54*, 58* wedges

EVNROLL.gif.c1122c4834ff1cdf4df48962afede4ed.gif  EV 5.3 33"

On 9/25/2019 at 9:03 AM, Springbok said:

This is not meant to be a bashing thread. It is actually a serious question. It goes to show the influence of redesigning your site.

1) I go allllllll the way back to GolfOpinions.com. It was the second influential golf forum, and the one that spawned BombSquadGolf, and GolfWRX. After GO redesigned it's site... it was never the same, and eventually disappeared into oblivion. I have noticed a substantial decrease in active viewing on WRX since their redesign. I have also noticed a "Old format coming back" sign that just keeps changing months. It was supposed to have returned 6 months ago.

2) But besides the forums... you don't see any mention of the site in publications or news anymore. You see a lot of MGS mentions.

3) They don't do any informative articles. Everything published is literally advertising for new releases.

4) Nobody there seems to "care" anymore. There just seems to be no effort put in. No drive from those that run it.

They really have lost their edge. I am not privy to internet traffic numbers but I would think that MGS has closed the gap on WRX. I am going to compare this to Shiels vs Crossfield, where Crossfield had 200K youtube subscribers and Shiels had 50K. Sheils now has almost 700K and Crossfield hasn't reached 300K. It was for the same reason. Crossfield changed format... and appeared to "give up", while Shiels pushed and expanded.

Thoughts?

I just am more addressing your last part. Shiels went up on users because he pursues all the click bait videos and wanted to be a YouTube personality and pursued that. Crossfield still is committed to teaching and still teaches on the regular. Shields stopped because he is doing the YouTube thing. Nothing wrong with that but not the same comparison. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Speed LS Max 9°
3w: Callaway BB Alpha 816
Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 19°/21°
Irons: Ben Hogan PTX Pro 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX3 52,56,60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 (2015)
Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• 4 weeks later...

Just suspended for 7 days for innocently listing an uncut shaft after years of nothing but good business.  It should've been pretty obvious I wasn't flipping knockoff shafts or anything after hundreds of positive BST transactions (my own personal equipment).  Does anyone know why that rule exists in the first place?

Told "GwrxMod" what I thought of his rash suspension and asked for my $10 pinned ad fee back, and was banned moments later.  Not just the BST, but all forums entirely!  Pretty lame I have to submit a PayPal claim to get that back after contributing there for so long.

Hoping this community will be a better experience.  Heard good things!

Edited by Naodular

9 minutes ago, Naodular said:

Just suspended for 7 days for innocently listing an uncut shaft after years of nothing but good business.  It should've been pretty obvious I wasn't flipping knockoff shafts or anything after hundreds of positive BST transactions (my own personal equipment).  Does anyone know why that rule exists in the first place?

Told "GwrxMod" what I thought of his rash suspension and asked for my $10 pinned ad fee back, and was banned moments later.  Pretty lame I have to submit a PayPal claim to get that back after contributing there for so long.

Hoping this community will be a better experience.  Heard good things!

Hope you enjoy the forum. Do not have much experience with any other golf forums besides this one so I do not have the best intel. All I know is for me anyway this forum is great, look forward to seeing you around.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

On 9/15/2021 at 2:52 PM, Golferplus1 said:

I got banned on 4GEA in the early 2000's through the MB Golf Talk forum.  There was a thread about Ocean Harbor and Marsh Harbor, well my family has been big in that Ocean Isle area for 30+ years and I know all about the Williamsons.  I posted a few things I knew about what was going on, how OIB island came to be owned by one person, and why Ed bought Sunset, and quite a bit about The Pearl, Angels Trace, both Harbors, OIB Golf Course, the Big Cats and some others.  I got a ban thrown up on me and a few other things.

Wow, Angels Trace is a throwback. I played 3 or 4 rounds there during a spring break tournament in college.  That property was phenomenal for the area.  Something about some idiots getting drunk and killing a gator and then the property’s eventual sale. I loved it, sad that it was razed. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 3:19 PM, bens197 said:

Wow, Angels Trace is a throwback. I played 3 or 4 rounds there during a spring break tournament in college.  That property was phenomenal for the area.  Something about some idiots getting drunk and killing a gator and then the property’s eventual sale. I loved it, sad that it was razed. 

Angels Trace was held for Odel Williamson's Grandchildren.   When the property values started going through the roof for land in that area in the early-mid 2000's they decided to sell the entire property to get the money.  They sold it to the gentleman that bought Ocean Ridge from Ed.  He also bought the old Ocean Isle Beach Golf Course, and quite a bit of other land in the area.  He had to let a lot of the other land go, but held on to the old Angel's Trace land and is slowly doing improvements.

I give him a lot of credit, other people declared bankruptcy and ditched homeowners who bought land in their properties, but he has held on and is making good on his stuff in Ocean Ridge(which Angel's Trace became part of)Jaguar's Lair as it will be called.  The first nine holes were sculpted, and the greens prepped for grass when everything was just crap.  I got to ride that nine with the guy who was going to be the superintendent, and it was going to be amazing.  They were taking existing hole corridors of the 36 and making it into 18 great holes and a development.  Unfortunately banks weren't lending anymore and people weren't buying as much property and that nine holes was let to go wild.

Based on that nine holes it probably would have been the most striking golf course on the strand(Pawleys to Leland) not on the ocean/intracoastal/river and not named True Blue or Cape Fear National.  

Clubs in great standing

On 10/12/2021 at 8:56 AM, Naodular said:

... It seems like it is always the few that ruin it for the many. Bombsquad was created after a GO member sold shafts and club heads for profit. If you want to sell for a profit then you have to become a sponsor which just seems fair. Just look here and every now and then someone with ONE post is asking questions about or touting a given product nobody has heard of taking advantage of free advertising. Of course that rules out us regular folk that have an uncut new shaft and wants to sell it to just get our $ back or even take a small loss. I bought 2 new Matrix X Flex shafts for my son and he only wanted one of them so I have a new uncut X Flex shaft I need to sell. That said it is very rare to have a brand new golf equipment item and want to sell it, but if I do WRX won't be the place I list it. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Not saying you should do this, but i have gotten around the BST rules on WRX regarding uncut shafts before. I sanded 1/4" of the tip and I butt cut the shaft by 1/2". 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

34 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Not saying you should do this, but i have gotten around the BST rules on WRX regarding uncut shafts before. I sanded 1/4" of the tip and I butt cut the shaft by 1/2". 

... As long as you are not running a business out of the classified I think that is an excellent idea! 

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

how is that getting around the rules? it’s a cut shaft.

that’s like saying you got around paying your taxes by paying your taxes. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

• 2 months later...

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I'd just like to say that I am a new convert to MGS from GolfWrx.  

For years, I occasionally dabbled on this site, but stayed on GolfWrx because I first joined there back around 2008 or so and was too lazy to leave.  Gradually, things changed there, and long time members & posters started to disappear.  For 13 years, my GolfWrx reputation and feedback was spotless.

At the end of 2021, I was suspended for "supposedly" being a racist, after referring to Covid as The W*h@n Flu.  I could swear that even the Media referred to Covid that way in the beginning.  I was suspended from entering the GolfWrx site for 30 days and cannot post for 90 days. That was pretty severe for a first "offense".

It really blew my mind, as I had never been called a racist by anyone, much less a golf site. I never had a Twitter, Instagram, FaceBook or YouTube account.  My only internet blog activity was on GolfWrx's site and now they call me a racist.

I'm sorry to see that others have had their share of trouble with GolfWrx.

I hope that sharing my GolfWrx experience with MGS does not get me suspended.  

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2021 at 2:52 PM, driveandputtmachine said:

It was pretty laughable.  Shoot I believe I still own the course record at Ocean Harbor, I set it right before my knee surgery in college, and a few years later it shut down and Davaun park now has homes covering about three of the holes out there since they let their land lease lapse from lack of upkeep.

I vacationed and still do in the OIB area, it's been going on 35 years now.  I lived there for 6 years as well.  I still wish Marsh Harbor would open back up, and I wish Ocean would re route for the few holes lost and open up as well.

I live down here and did a review on Eagles Nest and it was truthful but no nasty stuff. One of the Mods on GEA was also a local and friends of the owner. I drew a 30 day time out. When I got back on I told them what they could do with the GEA. That Mod still lives here and posts on WRX and I know him so does a fellow member on here. Saw that guy in a local restaurant a couple of years ago he would not even look at me and promptly paid and left. The only person I have blocked on there.

And yes we have lost quite a few courses the last 5 years here

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 1/14/2022 at 4:09 PM, ShimmyCocoBop said:

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I'd just like to say that I am a new convert to MGS from GolfWrx.  

For years, I occasionally dabbled on this site, but stayed on GolfWrx because I first joined there back around 2008 or so and was too lazy to leave.  Gradually, things changed there, and long time members & posters started to disappear.  For 13 years, my GolfWrx reputation and feedback was spotless.

At the end of 2021, I was suspended for "supposedly" being a racist, after referring to Covid as The W*h@n Flu.  I could swear that even the Media referred to Covid that way in the beginning.  I was suspended from entering the GolfWrx site for 30 days and cannot post for 90 days. That was pretty severe for a first "offense".

It really blew my mind, as I had never been called a racist by anyone, much less a golf site. I never had a Twitter, Instagram, FaceBook or YouTube account.  My only internet blog activity was on GolfWrx's site and now they call me a racist.

I'm sorry to see that others have had their share of trouble with GolfWrx.

I hope that sharing my GolfWrx experience with MGS does not get me suspended.  

Naah it will not get you suspended here. I have never had a suspension or even a warning here. Usually if you are a good member here they will warn you if you are on thin ice or at least I have been told that. Look how old this thread is

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I live down here and did a review on Eagles Nest and it was truthful but no nasty stuff. One of the Mods on GEA was also a local and friends of the owner. I drew a 30 day time out. When I got back on I told them what they could do with the GEA. That Mod still lives here and posts on WRX and I know him so does a fellow member on here. Saw that guy in a local restaurant a couple of years ago he would not even look at me and promptly paid and left. The only person I have blocked on there.

And yes we have lost quite a few courses the last 5 years here

I think after I moved to Atlanta you and I talked about GEA and the Myrtle Beach Golf Talk site both.  I was good friends with Brian Noblin that ran MBGT and he also ran a booking service in MB.  He is still in MB.  We are also both lead tape aficionados, shoot I even have ported my PW, GW, SW, and LW since the late 90's.

My parents still live in the OIB area and own Coastal Hardware & Supply in Sunset Beach, so I get down there a good bit to visit.  I get a little misty eyed over a few of the courses that have shut down in the south Brunswick area, many were closed 12+ years ago.  Angels Trace was a great deal for locals, March Harbor and Ocean Harbor both had some great views on their holes, now you have to go to Tidewater to get those good views right on the marsh/water.  OIB Golf Course wasn't a good track but was a good deal for a decent course.   Sandpiper has land that goes all the way to HWY 17 and could build at least another 27 holes, the Pearl is finally getting close to building some homes and closed down 6 or so holes out of their 36 and rotate around.  Other than the snap hook you have to play off of the tee box on one of the finishing holes there are some really good holes out there. 

I rode around the first nine holes that were to be the New Ocean Ridge course with the guy who was going to be the superintendent.  They had erosion control fabric on the greens waiting for the temps to get right to sod or sprig them and the housing market crashed and good bye to Jaguar's Lair. I saw the overall plan for the 18 holes that were going to be out there and it would have been the best course of the Big Cat's.

My grandparents used to go down and stay at my parents place all winter and would join St James back when the only course out there was called The Gauntlet, and I played Carolina National it's opening weekend when Fred Couples was in town for it.

Clubs in great standing

6 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I think after I moved to Atlanta you and I talked about GEA and the Myrtle Beach Golf Talk site both.  I was good friends with Brian Noblin that ran MBGT and he also ran a booking service in MB.  He is still in MB.  We are also both lead tape aficionados, shoot I even have ported my PW, GW, SW, and LW since the late 90's.

My parents still live in the OIB area and own Coastal Hardware & Supply in Sunset Beach, so I get down there a good bit to visit.  I get a little misty eyed over a few of the courses that have shut down in the south Brunswick area, many were closed 12+ years ago.  Angels Trace was a great deal for locals, March Harbor and Ocean Harbor both had some great views on their holes, now you have to go to Tidewater to get those good views right on the marsh/water.  OIB Golf Course wasn't a good track but was a good deal for a decent course.   Sandpiper has land that goes all the way to HWY 17 and could build at least another 27 holes, the Pearl is finally getting close to building some homes and closed down 6 or so holes out of their 36 and rotate around.  Other than the snap hook you have to play off of the tee box on one of the finishing holes there are some really good holes out there. 

I rode around the first nine holes that were to be the New Ocean Ridge course with the guy who was going to be the superintendent.  They had erosion control fabric on the greens waiting for the temps to get right to sod or sprig them and the housing market crashed and good bye to Jaguar's Lair. I saw the overall plan for the 18 holes that were going to be out there and it would have been the best course of the Big Cat's.

My grandparents used to go down and stay at my parents place all winter and would join St James back when the only course out there was called The Gauntlet, and I played Carolina National it's opening weekend when Fred Couples was in town for it.

I have not seen or talked to Brian since Rod closed his shop at Tupelo Bay and moved to Texas. I have not played on the North end in 2 years now. Our group from the North end has sorta split now. That bunch I call the NY boys. The leader Litle Bear had been sick and passed away 2 weeks ago and his Brother Checkers is having a hip replacement. Last time we played up there we played The Pearl and Farmstead. Which Farmstead is now closed to make room for more houses. I guess you know they closed my home course Indian Wells in December 2019. I hang my shingle so to speak over at Indigo Creek now. 

G

Once upon a time I frequented WRX.  I soon felt, unless I really hunted hard that I was the only person there who didn't routinely shoot in the 60's, find tour stiff shafts were noodles given my manliness, strength, suppleness and agility, have a 30 inch waist and 20 inch biceps, and have to worry about driving over the green on 360 yard holes.  Asking what I thought was an appropriately phrased question predictably  resulted in my being referred to as some sort of "Indian" who was highly defective in comparison to the "arrows" I was asking about. 

Flash forward to a few days ago.  It was suggested to me that I might want to do an "unofficial review" of a new putter I have headed this way and post it.  My immediate, and honest reply was to express my concern that I haven't posted enough here and a concern about having any hope of being taken seriously.  That wasn't a reflection on MGS, merely a momentary flashback to memories of the WRX experience.

Just my experience, perhaps it's different there now.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

11 hours ago, Bobbers said:

Once upon a time I frequented WRX.  I soon felt, unless I really hunted hard that I was the only person there who didn't routinely shoot in the 60's, find tour stiff shafts were noodles given my manliness, strength, suppleness and agility, have a 30 inch waist and 20 inch biceps, and have to worry about driving over the green on 360 yard holes.  Asking what I thought was an appropriately phrased question predictably  resulted in my being referred to as some sort of "Indian" who was highly defective in comparison to the "arrows" I was asking about. 

Flash forward to a few days ago.  It was suggested to me that I might want to do an "unofficial review" of a new putter I have headed this way and post it.  My immediate, and honest reply was to express my concern that I haven't posted enough here and a concern about having any hope of being taken seriously.  That wasn't a reflection on MGS, merely a momentary flashback to memories of the WRX experience.

Just my experience, perhaps it's different there now.

Depends on where you go over there. Some places I will not step in over there. Most of the time I am in the Clubhouse Grille section of the 19th hole. Over there is about like Spy Chat here. Everyone in that section have became friends over the years and no one hits it 350 plus. I also go over in the Classic Golf and Golfers section because I love and play vintage equipment. Everyone over there does not hit it 350 either. I learned my lessons over there I have had some run ins with some idiots on there. Actually I have been on here longer and have never I recall had any problems with anyone on here but one time. I posted a gripe about an warranty issue about Adams and he was an Adams fan boy. We sorta got into it but I just let it drop. In fact I have not seen him post for a long while. When I joined here no one played older equipment like I did but they put up with me. One of the reasons I went on WRX was for the Classic Section. But now here on MGS we have a few Classic Players but I find it relaxing on here

G

Forums are a place where people go to find like minded people who enjoy whatever the forum is about. Many look for a place of community where they can be themselves or their alter ego.

When they don’t fit in they will criticize the forum and/or it’s members. 

WRX has a very large amount of people knowledgeable in golf swing, equipment, fittings and the game. They also have probably the largest amount do competitive golfers who are really good at the game. This can be a turnoff for those who are more casual in their approach to the game or areas of golf. 

Overall imo the views expressed in this thread about the atmosphere there are over exaggerated.

Whether people like it or not wrx is extremely relevant. The amount of activity there on a daily basis is pretty large, the deal they signed with the pga tour is huge. They have interaction with vendor reps from both the club and shaft manufacturers. The lesson section has a good amount of interaction with Monte Scheinblum and not nearly as much now but there was a lot of interaction with iteach aka Dan Carraher. 

If one is interested learning about golf, gear, the swing wrx is the place to start.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

58 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Depends on where you go over there. Some places I will not step in over there.

... The problem isn't experience, ability or even knowledge. The problem is basically immaturity. Lots of snarky responses to most anything, especially the MB zealots. I could not believe how many piled on Taylor Made (a regular occurrence over there) for the RBZ line. So many immature comments and waaaaaay too many proclaiming they would never play anything named RocketBallz no matter how well it performed. Many 8th grade jokes followed. 

55 minutes ago, chisag said:

... The problem isn't experience, ability or even knowledge. The problem is basically immaturity. Lots of snarky responses to most anything, especially the MB zealots. I could not believe how many piled on Taylor Made (a regular occurrence over there) for the RBZ line. So many immature comments and waaaaaay too many proclaiming they would never play anything named RocketBallz no matter how well it performed. Many 8th grade jokes followed. 

It's the same way if you even mention Tiger. They Love Tiger.....

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

3 minutes ago, EasyPutter said:

And then there is this.  Couldn't possibly have anything like that with MyGolfSpy now could they.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2022/02/28/pga-tour-announces-content-sales-agreement-with-golf-wrx-equipment.html

Honestly, no they couldn't. That forum has had WITB threads for PGA players for years, showing their clubs close up and in extremely well done photos. MGS has never, ever had anything like this. So it makes sense for the tour to continue this and keep exposure on their players & sponsors that way. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 hour ago, EasyPutter said:

And then there is this.  Couldn't possibly have anything like that with MyGolfSpy now could they.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2022/02/28/pga-tour-announces-content-sales-agreement-with-golf-wrx-equipment.html

Wrx has had a person on tour stops for years. Visit their tour and pre release forum and you find all kinds of threads with various witb of players from the tour events. They also post witb for winners every week and sometimes lpga winners as well. They have been at the forefront of this before mgs or other forums. There isn’t any repore with mgs that would lead them to giving that to mgs. It’s also not what mgs is about. MGS has been about testing and data, this forum is a result of that and while it’s been around for awhile it’s really still somewhat in its infancy stages compared some of the other forums 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

That forum has had WITB threads for PGA players for years, showing their clubs close up and in extremely well done photos.

... I always found it a blessing and a curse. Pictures of equipment, especially during practice rounds are as good as it gets. But they mix in so many static pictures of players just standing or at address or on the range or honestly not sure what they are showing and when there are 10 threads with soooooo many pictures it is quite tedious to separate the good stuff from the fluff. I wish they would do separate threads with just equipment and then "other" stuff. Maybe it's me but I can see swings or clothes on TV so I find these photos completely unnecessary but I can't see close ups of equipment and their photo's are by far the best out there. 

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... I always found it a blessing and a curse. Pictures of equipment, especially during practice rounds are as good as it gets. But they mix in so many static pictures of players just standing or at address or on the range or honestly not sure what they are showing and when there are 10 threads with soooooo many pictures it is quite tedious to separate the good stuff from the fluff. I wish they would do separate threads with just equipment and then "other" stuff. Maybe it's me but I can see swings or clothes on TV so I find these photos completely unnecessary but I can't see close ups of equipment and their photo's are by far the best out there. 

Agreed. The PGA Show threads this year were brutal. Having to scroll through a mountain of apparel vendors that I have never heard of just to see an errant equipment pic here or there was not fun (granted I knew none of the big equipment OEMs were at the show ahead of time).

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

On 3/5/2022 at 7:31 PM, chisag said:

especially the MB zealots

I'd agree with you if you were talking about the anti crowd.  🙂

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

On 9/25/2019 at 8:03 AM, Springbok said:

This is not meant to be a bashing thread. It is actually a serious question. It goes to show the influence of redesigning your site.

1) I go allllllll the way back to GolfOpinions.com. It was the second influential golf forum, and the one that spawned BombSquadGolf, and GolfWRX. After GO redesigned it's site... it was never the same, and eventually disappeared into oblivion. I have noticed a substantial decrease in active viewing on WRX since their redesign. I have also noticed a "Old format coming back" sign that just keeps changing months. It was supposed to have returned 6 months ago.

2) But besides the forums... you don't see any mention of the site in publications or news anymore. You see a lot of MGS mentions.

3) They don't do any informative articles. Everything published is literally advertising for new releases.

4) Nobody there seems to "care" anymore. There just seems to be no effort put in. No drive from those that run it.

They really have lost their edge. I am not privy to internet traffic numbers but I would think that MGS has closed the gap on WRX. I am going to compare this to Shiels vs Crossfield, where Crossfield had 200K youtube subscribers and Shiels had 50K. Sheils now has almost 700K and Crossfield hasn't reached 300K. It was for the same reason. Crossfield changed format... and appeared to "give up", while Shiels pushed and expanded.

Thoughts?

of course it's relevant, where else would part-time caddies and friends of tour players be able to sell their tour van stuff that cost them nothing, and charge 3X what it's worth to a very willingly gullible public?  🙂

Something I find interesting is the number of people who “bash” wrx yet somewhat actively post on that site in various sub forums. Also interesting what content they post on wrx vs mgs. Almost like they don’t want their mgs friends to see what they are asking about or looking for.