Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Is GolfWRX even relevant anymore?

Springbok

Is GolfWRX relevant? I trust it much more than MGS, who is nothing but an advertising gateway for manufacturers.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

10 minutes ago, HDTVMAN said:

Is GolfWRX relevant? I trust it much more than MGS, who is nothing but an advertising gateway for manufacturers.

giphy.gif

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

4 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

giphy.gif

Maybe he is dyslexic...

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

1 hour ago, HDTVMAN said:

Interesting take. Care to expand with examples. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I admittedly haven't read this almost-three-year-old thread, but jump in to say that I miss the old Golf Equipment Aficionados forum (former www.4gea.com I believe).  It had a nice mix of equipment, tour, rules, training, and non-golf discussions.  A lot of friendships were made there and I'm fortunate to have several dear friends today who I "met" online there.  It died a cruel and violent death, the result of the addition of a folder for political discussions first and foremost and secondly by the abandonment of the forum of the rules keepers.  I share this here not to stir up bad old memories or the like but as a warning to fans of forums of any kind that the addition of political discussions (other than in a forum existing to discuss politics) can be the kiss of death.  

FYI - GolfOpinions, mentioned earlier, was a spin-off of the GEA.

Edited by Neshanic

1 hour ago, flyingwedges said:

I would beg to differ.  He's a bit testy. -----   Howard is very good, and has knowledge far above those who post to him.

He’s far from testy. There’s some people who reply with stuff that makes no sense and he corrects them and some try to go at home and he handles them but overall he is far from testy.

2 hours ago, HDTVMAN said:

This has to be the silliest thing I’ve seen on the internet today and there’s been some silly stuff 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I started on GEA and then gokfwrx and now here and the hackers paradise as well.

I think they all have their roles and do different things well.

I enjoy all of them because I love golf!

This site has me elarn about new equipment and accessories and their great testing process.

WRX has more information for instruction and tour and clubmaker type knowledge.

THP also has some great reviews and good equipment conversation without needing to hit it 320 like on WRX

9 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I'd agree with you if you were talking about the anti crowd.  🙂

... Ed we have been down this road way too many times. Like anything else in life there really should be no anti MB's and more than there should be pro MB's. My personal favorites are those that say they know they would score better with a more forgiving iron but just love playing MB's. I don't know how anyone could find fault with that. But I have always cringed at those that say MB's help them become better ball strikers or anyone can hit MB's or they aren't any harder to hit than GI's (they aren't but are just much less forgiving of typical mishits). I think we both know practice and a good swing is what makes you a better ball striker and if you can't do that with the G410/T200/Forged CB's you are playing, you are either mentally lazy or just being obtuse. You know I think everyone should play the most forgiving irons they can effectively play and for some (you and Stu included) that is MB's. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

On 3/6/2022 at 10:42 AM, chisag said:

... I always found it a blessing and a curse. Pictures of equipment, especially during practice rounds are as good as it gets. But they mix in so many static pictures of players just standing or at address or on the range or honestly not sure what they are showing and when there are 10 threads with soooooo many pictures it is quite tedious to separate the good stuff from the fluff. I wish they would do separate threads with just equipment and then "other" stuff. Maybe it's me but I can see swings or clothes on TV so I find these photos completely unnecessary but I can't see close ups of equipment and their photo's are by far the best out there. 

I agree you know me well enough by now I am not a student of the golf swing so I scroll through those. I also scroll through the pics with the putting gizmos. I guess in the competitive golf world now those things are necessary to keep one's edge at that level. Maybe I am too old and old fashioned.  I do like looking at the shiny stuff. The ones I like are the pics of the "free agent club hoes" that have no equipment contract and play a mixed bag. Also like the bags of say like unknowns or College players with mixed sets in stand bags. As far as clothes I am sorta a fan but do my own style. But the bad thing for me is when I see something I like they will not have a size to fit me. Also like looking at headcovers too I can be a headcover Ho too

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

13 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Something I find interesting is the number of people who “bash” wrx yet somewhat actively post on that site in various sub forums. Also interesting what content they post on wrx vs mgs. Almost like they don’t want their mgs friends to see what they are asking about or looking for.

I do not bash them but give my opinion on what I see. I post over there in certain places probably more than anyone else on MGS. I will give my opinion again right or wrong, From your posts on here I have gathered you are a big Fan Boy or working for them. Which I still think this is a free country and you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine--- I will state this FTR--- As a proud US Navy veteran I may not agree with your opinion but I will damn sure stand by your side and fight to the death if necessary for your right to express it. So you have your opinions and I have mine so we will agree to disagree. Speaking for myself only I do not care what anyone sees or hears coming from me on there or visa versa. I am an open book just ask me. And I will also state FTR again I may not always be correct but I say what I have to say and if I am wrong I will apologize. And I will admit my daily prayer is sometimes more than once a day--- Lord keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth in this case grab my hands from the keyboard. MHO FWIW

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

11 hours ago, flyingwedges said:

I would beg to differ.  He's a bit testy. -----   Howard is very good, and has knowledge far above those who post to him.

Actually I like both of them they both know their stuff. I do not always agree and sometimes I do things differently my way. The one I miss on there is Tom Wishon. He quit posting on there after he got bashed and argued with. I have met with Tom in person and find him just a good old everyday guy with a ton of golf knowledge. Another 2 guys that post on there that have extensive knowledge are Tad Moore and Ari Techler who was the owner of Scratch Golf. Most of the time they are over in the Classics section with the rest of us old farts that play "antique outdated equipment". Actually the term I use quite a bit "free agent club ho" I borrowed from Ari. I do read when Howard or Stuart post but do not comment because I will usually get some kind of smart aleck crack. Like I say I pick my spots over there

G

10 hours ago, Neshanic said:

I admittedly haven't read this almost-three-year-old thread, but jump in to say that I miss the old Golf Aficionados forum (former www.4gea.com I believe).  It had a nice mix of equipment, tour, rules, training, and non-golf discussions.  A lot of friendships were made there and I'm fortunate to have several dear friends today who I "met" online there.  It died a cruel and violent death, the result of the addition of a folder for political discussions first and foremost and secondly by the abandonment of the forum of the rules keepers.  I share this here not to stir up bad old memories or the like but as a warning to fans of forums of any kind that the addition of political discussions (other than in a forum existing to discuss politics) can be the kiss of death.  

FYI - GolfOpinions, mentioned earlier, was a spin-off of the GEA.

One of the reasons part of the standard ground rules here and WRX are NO politics. I can remember a few weeks back in one of the threads here ( forgot which one) one of our members got close to thin ice (and he is a good member too) and he got called out by one of our mods in the active thread in front of everyone who could read. 

G

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... Ed we have been down this road way too many times. Like anything else in life there really should be no anti MB's and more than there should be pro MB's. My personal favorites are those that say they know they would score better with a more forgiving iron but just love playing MB's. I don't know how anyone could find fault with that. But I have always cringed at those that say MB's help them become better ball strikers or anyone can hit MB's or they aren't any harder to hit than GI's (they aren't but are just much less forgiving of typical mishits). I think we both know practice and a good swing is what makes you a better ball striker and if you can't do that with the G410/T200/Forged CB's you are playing, you are either mentally lazy or just being obtuse. You know I think everyone should play the most forgiving irons they can effectively play and for some (you and Stu included) that is MB's. 

As usual we are thinking on the same lines--- And no some CBs I guess what would be called Players CBs you gotta stay on your game to hit them. Good example I have found is those TM TP CBs I had played some previously. I do not know on them the forgiveness factor because if one lets their guard down on them they will not forgive you same as Mr Macgregor. Now I will say my Teardrop KZG forged CBs I can get away with a little more stuff than the other 2 but they can sneak up and bite the old butt too if you let them. Speaking just for me on MBs I think for me it is a combination of things. One I grew up playing them and learned the game with them because that was all we had. They also fit my feel and eye and I am strictly a feel and instinct player. Because of all of the above again for me it combines into confidence of shot shape and distance. And yes I am healing up pretty decent and getting my feel and timing back now. I have found out this that any of them whether it be MB CB or GI can sneak up on you if you get slack. And as you say practice pays off. Like my pro says I have been grinding on it hard lately and it is paying off in dividends in my golf my physical well being and my mental state.   

G

I am not sure what value this thread serves. It has nothing to do with golf and is solely about bashing and defending the differing sites. Given the sites, people who post on each (or both), and their opinions are different, it is disappointing that this meaningless debate has continued for 2.5 years.

• TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S
  • TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
  • Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
  • Srixon 4-AW Nippon Modus 3 105 R
  • Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid DG Spinner
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
  • Titleist Pro V1
  • Arccos Gen 3 sensors

In my time this thread has come and faded then been revived only to fade again. Not even sure I've ever posted in it let alone kept up with it. 

That being said I believe this revival is from their PGA tour deal.

Bottom line is WRX will stand to be relevant for the foreseeable future as it has a large membership, big classifieds section and a whole lot more. 

Granted I only usually peak over there from time to time and am not involved in anyway I do see positives areas on the site and things that maybe show me where we can look to better and further or differentiate our site here. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

From your posts on here I have gathered you are a big Fan Boy or working for them. Which I still think this is a free country and you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine--- I will state this FTR--- As a proud US Navy veteran I may not agree with your opinion but I will damn sure stand by your side and fight to the death if necessary for your right to express it.

Not a fan boy and don’t work for them. I read several of the forums on there and participate periodically these days, less than I used to. I just find some of the criticism by a few people on here about the site yet they are active posters over there and some even play up the “wrx mentality” in their posts. Comments like “this is wrx so you know I have to buy the club”. Or they will bash the site yet they are positing their questions over there looking to find a shaft, club or swing fix.

Im also a navy veteran and I will fight for your rights and freedoms as well. You have the right to your opinion and to disagree with mine. I’ve made some lifelong friends due to forums but these days I’m not on forums to make friends per se, it’s why you won’t find me at local meet ups like I used to in the past. So for me if someone agrees or disagrees with my opinion, it really doesn’t affect me. My time online is to read and learn which is what wrx is good at, or to share what my opinion based on what knowledge I have from my reading, time with various golf companies and working demo days either at my local range or with Cleveland/Srixon.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

10 hours ago, chisag said:

Brother Sam, I'm only referring to one aspect of it.  It's one thing to be pro-MB or pro-CB, but it's another to be called an idiot for your stance.  I've been called stupid or worse for using an MB, but I can't remember seeing more than maybe one nutbar saying someone is an idiot for using a CB.

Honestly, though it might not seem so at times, I actually agree with you.  🙂

Adding to the irony...  I'm contemplating trying CBs again...    LOL at me

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

4 hours ago, ShimmyCocoBop said:

Do PING S58's qualify as "blades" or "non-blades"

Asking for a friend....

Well honestly I would say somewhere in between--- As a friend of mine says MAWBB which is Might as well be blades. The reason I say it like I do is because they are not forged blades but have the basic design and then they are not really CBs either. I had a set of 56s which I liked the profile but the shafts were too much for me. I had actually entertained the thought of reshafting with a set of R-300s but then again I had a chance to flip them for a profit so I turned them

G

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not a fan boy and don’t work for them. I read several of the forums on there and participate periodically these days, less than I used to. I just find some of the criticism by a few people on here about the site yet they are active posters over there and some even play up the “wrx mentality” in their posts. Comments like “this is wrx so you know I have to buy the club”. Or they will bash the site yet they are positing their questions over there looking to find a shaft, club or swing fix.

Im also a navy veteran and I will fight for your rights and freedoms as well. You have the right to your opinion and to disagree with mine. I’ve made some lifelong friends due to forums but these days I’m not on forums to make friends per se, it’s why you won’t find me at local meet ups like I used to in the past. So for me if someone agrees or disagrees with my opinion, it really doesn’t affect me. My time online is to read and learn which is what wrx is good at, or to share what my opinion based on what knowledge I have from my reading, time with various golf companies and working demo days either at my local range or with Cleveland/Srixon.

Well I see we are both Navy Vets and on the same page--- So all is cool by me

G

I have found it interesting as I saw this thread asking a question about the relevance of another forum. 

From a personal standpoint, I have for many years looked at both MGS and Golfwrx but have only recently began contributing to both forums. Each forum has its own culture which seems to be relevant enough to attract a large number of people willing to wade in. I think the question has to be, is MGS, GolfWRX, or any other relevant to my interests and are people at least civil in dealing with someone that may disagree with them.

Like Stu and a couple of others, I approach golf differently than the vast majority of people that frequent both sites. I am a feel player and my personal observation is that modern golf has got so caught up in technology and it’s “benefits” to players that has become somewhat one dimensional in its thinking. Pronouncements that one should or should not play blades, CB, or “game improvement” irons comes out of that thinking as an example to make you a better player. Personally I play just about everything from the hickory era to modern equipment and that the technological improvements are not as impactful to a decent player than is almost taken for granted. I think you should play what brings you the most enjoyment and embrace the challenges of the game. 

Thank you for indulging my rant. Back to the original topic. I think GolfWRX and MGS are both relevant to their online communities.

Play everything from the hickory era to modern equipment.

• 4 weeks later...

I cancelled my membership on another golf blog because the Moderator deleted my post because I very politely disagreed with him, if I can't post what I believe is true that disagreed with what he said I'm gone. 

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 10:31 PM, chisag said:

I have always cringed at those that say MB's help them become better ball strikers or anyone can hit MB's or they aren't any harder to hit than GI's (they aren't but are just much less forgiving of typical mishits). I think we both know practice and a good swing is what makes you a better ball striker and if you can't do that with the G410/T200/Forged CB's you are playing, you are either mentally lazy or just being obtuse. You know I think everyone should play the most forgiving irons they can effectively play and for some (you and Stu included) that is MB's. 

I just cut out this portion of your post from last month as there isn't an opinion in golf perhaps that I agree with more.  And no it's not out of jealousy that I can't play blades.  It just comes from watching hundreds if not thousands of fittings and demo days now and just people on ther range in general that use that justification for playing blades.  Which I will not critisize  anyone for playing blades or SGI clubs, it's their game to enjoy.   But to say they make you a better ball striker by making you concentrate more is just nonsense.   As you said, you can exhert the same amount of concentration on any category of club.   

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I just cut out this portion of your post from last month as there isn't an opinion in golf perhaps that I agree with more.  And no it's not out of jealousy that I can't play blades.  It just comes from watching hundreds if not thousands of fittings and demo days now and just people on ther range in general that use that justification for playing blades.  Which I will not critisize  anyone for playing blades or SGI clubs, it's their game to enjoy.   But to say they make you a better ball striker by making you concentrate more is just nonsense.   As you said, you can exhert the same amount of concentration on any category of club.   

Blades can/will make you concentrate… on how poor the next shot will be.  I know from experience… haha… as far as ball striking… the 1 in 100 time that I hit the center, I was best ball striker of blades… ever, for that one shot. 😂😂

50 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Blades can/will make you concentrate… on how poor the next shot will be.  I know from experience… haha… as far as ball striking… the 1 in 100 time that I hit the center, I was best ball striker of blades… ever, for that one shot. 😂😂

But you are someone that already plays blades effectively.   I probably should have phased it better.  I was mainly speaking of those that are mid to high handicaps that use that as a justification to play blades.   And it's usually followed with something like.   I'm a highhandicapper because I'm a poor putter.  But I'm a great ball striker.   Yeah, that may sound good but again from watching fittings live, they are just fooling themselves.   And again, not fautling anyone that wants to play them for enjoyment, looks etc. But just not the reason they will make you a better ball striker.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 4:07 AM, BIG STU said:

Actually I like both of them they both know their stuff. I do not always agree and sometimes I do things differently my way. The one I miss on there is Tom Wishon. He quit posting on there after he got bashed and argued with. I have met with Tom in person and find him just a good old everyday guy with a ton of golf knowledge. Another 2 guys that post on there that have extensive knowledge are Tad Moore and Ari Techler who was the owner of Scratch Golf. Most of the time they are over in the Classics section with the rest of us old farts that play "antique outdated equipment". Actually the term I use quite a bit "free agent club ho" I borrowed from Ari. I do read when Howard or Stuart post but do not comment because I will usually get some kind of smart aleck crack. Like I say I pick my spots over there

I can't imagine how or why anyone would pick a fight with Wishon. 

9 hours ago, flyingwedges said:

I can't imagine how or why anyone would pick a fight with Wishon. 

Some people will argue with a sign board as my old man used to say. Some people they exist to start stuff. 

G

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Some people will argue with a sign board as my old man used to say. Some people they exist to start stuff. 

Yup, this is true.  
 Little off Topic but Tad Moore is a good guy!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

6 hours ago, Rickp said:

Yup, this is true.  
 Little off Topic but Tad Moore is a good guy!

Absolutely and a wealth of knowledge too---- He still makes Hickory shafted clubs and is one of the Founding Fathers of the Society of Hickory Golfers

G