Jump to content

Is GolfWRX even relevant anymore?


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I don't know Stu. I think the courses down here are going to be hurting this winter without the Canadians coming down. I don't have to tell you how many we usually get...

With the virus getting bad down here, I'm assuming we'll be getting about the same amount of snowbirds from the U.S. but who knows? It's been a really bad year for local businesses...

A lot of it depends on what the business plan of the course is. Good example is the Founders Group. They had leaned more towards the Motel Packages in recent years and shunned the locals. Now they are hurting because no Snowbirds and they have pissed most of the locals off. The PGM Group is doing good because mostly they lean towards locals. My new home course Indigo Creek is doing well because they cater to us locals and memberships are up. We have had a pretty good membership drive this year. The weekly scramble is doing pretty decent with around 60 players or so every week. Usually this time of the year we have a lot more but the Canadians are not here. I have not played the scramble in 2 weeks now because I was swinging too hard and hurting myself. I do know the Motels and rentals are having it rough this year. They stated on TV the occupancy rates were down some 60% this year. Restaurants are touch and go some are doing ok others are not. Everyone I know in that business has a common problem trying to find good help or any help period. No one wants to work any more. 

  • Like 8

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i think this sums it up very well.  I still go on WRX,....obvisouly not near the amount I did before joining MGS, but I like to keep track of what the competing sites are doing.  Well at least th

... I have been a member on WRX  since the beginning and still post some from time to time. But too many members find some kind of thrill mocking others or just arguing. Instead of being able to infor

The bold part is a huge thing for me to see someone mention, especially the active part!  Thanks! When I first came to the site three years ago, I honestly could read an entire days worth of post

Posted Images

This isn’t even the right place for this, but I have noticed an uptick in golf here.  I actually don’t like it, the course is jammed up all day long with people.  Sure if you get there on a Wednesday morning you are good.  And I will never say that about a kid wanting to play, but when you are in an area that is pretty sparse for golf courses... there isn’t room for any growth and still be able to enjoy a sub 8 hour round.

I made one post on golfwrx I think, maybe 2-3 but the atmosphere there is wretched, and smells like a bunch of jerks most of the time. But I do still read the WITB pages, I like seeing what the pros are doing, since it is my favorite sport and all.

  • Like 7
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I made one post on golfwrx I think, maybe 2-3 but the atmosphere there is wretched, and smells like a bunch of jerks most of the time. But I do still read the WITB pages, I like seeing what the pros are doing, since it is my favorite sport and all.

“smells like jerks” is how i’m entering rooms from now on  

image.gif.2633a9d0ddb4ff1a5b627687dd2b6885.gif

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

:taylormade-small: SIM2 8º | KuroKage XT 70TX
:taylormade-small: SIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX
:titelist-small: U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
:titelist-small: T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
::vokey-small: SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
:scotty-small:  Futura 5w

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

this thread seems to be winding down, and my opinion was probably already stated on page 2, but i'll give my input anyway..

i've only been a member here for a short while, and i've only been playing golf for a few months.  with that being said, i've never been hesitant to post a question or comment on this site for fear of being flamed or ridiculed. 

i don't know everything about golf, and when i'm out of my depth i value the conversations here as an opportunity to learn.

  i do know a ton about mechanics, how the body works, fitness, nutrition, and general athletic ability, and i've found that when i speak from a point of experience or knowledge here, people take the time to listen to me. 

as a new player and new member i could easily be ignored or brushed off - but that's not the case.  big hi-five to MGS for the warm and fuzzy feelings!!

giphy.gif

i did recently join WRX for the sole purpose of farming their classified section.  despite being new to the game, i swing the club really fast and hard.  i've found that once the guys on WRX who "carry the ball 350" realize they actually don't...they end up selling a lot of equipment that fits me pretty damn well for substantial discounts.  

in reading through some of their content though...it's an ongoing episode of the real housewives, just set on a golf forum.  insults and attacks fly with reckless abandon and innocent questions are mocked and trampled on. 

giphy.gif

i read a thread the other day where someone was looking for the brand name for a particular type of alignment sticks and the first response was "JUST BUY A DRIVEWAY MARKER YOU IDIOT"  real nice bunch of guys.  very welcoming lolol


There's a not insignificant troll population at WRX, and they are getting more active.  Sad.

If you were to post at WRX, asking for advice, it would be reasonable to expect a flurry of comments that range across disbelief, snarky comments, and outright accusations of lying.  Happens every time someone with clubhead speed chimes in.  Going on right now, or it did, in the last few days, in the "anyone not use a fairway wood thread."

The expectation is what's reasonable.  The responses themselves, not so much.  🙂

It's not really just a WRX thing, I've seen it on just about every golf forum I've been on over the years.  For some reason, guys just don't want to believe it, usually because they don't see it too often. 

And they like to tie "distance" with "scoring ability," though they're not actually directly related.  It's interesting.

Beyond that, there's a number of folks who seem to lack imagination, or the ability to extrapolate, and like to jump on anything that's even the slightest bit outside their range of experience.  

A lot of this is really just the Human Condition, at least in part.  Makes me wonder sometimes how we've survived as a species.  LOL
 

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 9

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1-PW Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or TM TP5

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

 

in reading through some of their content though...it's an ongoing episode of the real housewives, just set on a golf forum.  insults and attacks fly with reckless abandon and innocent questions are mocked and trampled on. 

giphy.gif

i read a thread the other day where someone was looking for the brand name for a particular type of alignment sticks and the first response was "JUST BUY A DRIVEWAY MARKER YOU IDIOT"  real nice bunch of guys.  very welcoming lolol

I laughed out loud at that analogy! 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2020 at 8:16 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

What makes you think golf isn’t booming? 
 

people have been buying all the new equipment. TM sold thru their initial stock of p770 irons and iirc the p7mc in less than a week and by the end of the second week were already into delivery dates of November and December. 
 

i haven’t seen numbers in the titleist driver and woods release but based on limited info available via forums they are having success with the launch. 

Rounds played for the year are up. I read somewhere that September alone has a 25% increase in rounds played. 

 Just a heads up for those of that wonder who or what post RickyBobby is replying to here.

There was a post from a not so well disguised spammer saying the reason golf is dying is....and went on to espouse his expertise and very nicely included an embedded link to a improvement plan that he was either selling or endorsing. 

It's now in the recycle file if anyone is interested 🙂   But I know sometimes I read a reply and can't find the original post that it's in reference to, so I thought I'd mention it. 

 

  • Like 8

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shankster said:

This isn’t even the right place for this, but I have noticed an uptick in golf here.  I actually don’t like it, the course is jammed up all day long with people.  Sure if you get there on a Wednesday morning you are good.  And I will never say that about a kid wanting to play, but when you are in an area that is pretty sparse for golf courses... there isn’t room for any growth and still be able to enjoy a sub 8 hour round.

I made one post on golfwrx I think, maybe 2-3 but the atmosphere there is wretched, and smells like a bunch of jerks most of the time. But I do still read the WITB pages, I like seeing what the pros are doing, since it is my favorite sport and all.

That is why when you see me on there I am either in the Classic Golf and Golfers Forum or the Clubhouse Grille section of the 19th hole. I do look at the Pros WITB and members WITB but as a general rule do not comment in those 2 sections 

  • Like 4

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

 Just a heads up for those of that wonder who or what post RickyBobby is replying to here.

There was a post from a not so well disguised spammer saying the reason golf is dying is....and went on to espouse his expertise and very nicely included an embedded link to a improvement plan that he was either selling or endorsing. 

It's now in the recycle file if anyone is interested 🙂   But I know sometimes I read a reply and can't find the original post that it's in reference to, so I thought I'd mention it. 

 

Yep you mods jumped on that like a Bassett Hound on a biscuit. Good Job

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Yep you mods jumped on that like a Bassett Hound on a biscuit. Good Job

Just when we needed an @ole gray reference.  Well played big fella!

  • Like 6

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

 

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Just when we needed an @ole gray reference.  Well played big fella!

You know he has a habit of wearing off on a person.

  • Like 7

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Yep you mods jumped on that like a Bassett Hound on a biscuit. Good Job

Didn’t see that coming.
Had an short email conversation w OG a while ago and he’s doing OK.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 8

Rick

 

 

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am just about done over there period. Heavy handed moderating at it again. One of the Mods I guess did not have anything else to do went into the Club House Grille Section and done some Covid related deletes. Also issued a warning about covid related posts. I know for a fact nothing inflammatory was said. Censorship on there and on Facebook

  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

I am just about done over there period. Heavy handed moderating at it again. One of the Mods I guess did not have anything else to do went into the Club House Grille Section and done some Covid related deletes. Also issued a warning about covid related posts. I know for a fact nothing inflammatory was said. Censorship on there and on Facebook

From my perspective, I can't hold that against them.  Some topics almost certainly generate topic degeneration, like politics, and unfortunately COVID.  Even if the discussions are currently civil, they will inevitably draw the sorts of posts and people who turn it into a dumpster fire.

It's unavoidable, sadly.  It's killed a lot of forums and Usenet groups. 

  • Like 4

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1-PW Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or TM TP5

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

From my perspective, I can't hold that against them.  Some topics almost certainly generate topic degeneration, like politics, and unfortunately COVID.  Even if the discussions are currently civil, they will inevitably draw the sorts of posts and people who turn it into a dumpster fire.

It's unavoidable, sadly.  It's killed a lot of forums and Usenet groups. 

I agree. I am on a few other forums (not golf related) that offer a "room" just for those types of discussions. For the most part, it works well. Nothing creeps into the main topic forums. You have to have thick skin and be prepared to have your opinions challenged, but it's not a bad thing to learn about differing opinions on the world, and what's going on in it. .... and that is just my opinion. 😉

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never spent anytime on that site but do find lots of links to their threads when searching for information. Some are pretty good but there does seem to be a difference in tone than MGS (more heavy handed opinions).  Still WAY better than the forum that shall remain nameless but from which I left when I stumbled on MGS.  That place is a joke; unless you agree with the website owner's opinions and his seemingly endless input on every single damn thread 😏.

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

From my perspective, I can't hold that against them.  Some topics almost certainly generate topic degeneration, like politics, and unfortunately COVID.  Even if the discussions are currently civil, they will inevitably draw the sorts of posts and people who turn it into a dumpster fire.

It's unavoidable, sadly.  It's killed a lot of forums and Usenet groups. 

if you wanna see a topic degenerate and spin off into the ether...go find the thread about Justin Thomas saying Tiger’s son trash talks him on the course. 

absolutely wild. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

:taylormade-small: SIM2 8º | KuroKage XT 70TX
:taylormade-small: SIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX
:titelist-small: U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
:titelist-small: T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
::vokey-small: SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
:scotty-small:  Futura 5w

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I agree. I am on a few other forums (not golf related) that offer a "room" just for those types of discussions. For the most part, it works well. Nothing creeps into the main topic forums. You have to have thick skin and be prepared to have your opinions challenged, but it's not a bad thing to learn about differing opinions on the world, and what's going on in it. .... and that is just my opinion. 😉

 

... Just mind boggling to me and why social media has lost it's way. If you look at Covid as a medical issue, the facts are crystal clear. If you want to engage in Covid as a political issue, it is complete chaos. 

  • Like 7

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 Cobra SZ 18.5* ... Even Flow 75R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
              Taylor Made RBZ Tour 21.5* ... Altus 85S
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

It's unavoidable, sadly.  It's killed a lot of forums and Usenet groups. 

Haven't thought about usenet in a long time.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...