Is GolfWRX even relevant anymore?

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

From my perspective, I can't hold that against them.  Some topics almost certainly generate topic degeneration, like politics, and unfortunately COVID.  Even if the discussions are currently civil, they will inevitably draw the sorts of posts and people who turn it into a dumpster fire.

It's unavoidable, sadly.  It's killed a lot of forums and Usenet groups. 

... You and I watched another forum implode after allowing politics to filter into the forum. The problem with politics is those on the far edges that are so ignorant, have no idea they are waaaaaay on one side or the other and will rant, abuse and denigrate anyone that is not in lock step with their opinion. Sadly quite a few there were in lock step and it destroyed what was once a similar forum to MGS. As Silver and Black said, it is always good to hear others opinions especially those different than your own if presented respectfully, something almost impossible in todays divided country stoked by social media and for profit media outlets. 

• Like 6

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 Cobra SZ 18.5* ... Even Flow 75R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
              Taylor Made RBZ Tour 21.5* ... Altus 85S
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i think this sums it up very well.  I still go on WRX,....obvisouly not near the amount I did before joining MGS, but I like to keep track of what the competing sites are doing.  Well at least th

... I have been a member on WRX  since the beginning and still post some from time to time. But too many members find some kind of thrill mocking others or just arguing. Instead of being able to infor

The bold part is a huge thing for me to see someone mention, especially the active part!  Thanks! When I first came to the site three years ago, I honestly could read an entire days worth of post

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, chisag said:

... You and I watched another forum implode after allowing politics to filter into the forum. The problem with politics is those on the far edges that are so ignorant, have no idea they are waaaaaay on one side or the other and will rant, abuse and denigrate anyone that is not in lock step with their opinion. Sadly quite a few there were in lock step and it destroyed what was once a similar forum to MGS. As Silver and Black said, it is always good to hear others opinions especially those different than your own if presented respectfully, something almost impossible in todays divided country stoked by social media and for profit media outlets. 

That was one of the examples in mind as I was typing my post.  🙂

Sadly, it's not the only one.  There are too many examples.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1-PW Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or TM TP5

39 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Haven't thought about usenet in a long time.  

Before I started playing golf, I was a bowler.  It was the mid 90s when I discovered alt.sport.bowling.  Learned a lot there.

So when I started playing golf, I looked for similar options, started sifting thru rec.sport.golf.  I didn't stick around long, too much BS and e-peen waving.

I may have just betrayed my former gaming habit.  LOL

• Like 1

Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1-PW Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS

Forums are privately owned and can, for the most part, do what they want. If a forum chooses to delete specific content, it's their right to do so, just as it's also their right to allow certain topics to continue. We don't have to like or agree with it, because frankly, posters have no say. All we can do is move on to other forums and be done with it, as many of us have with other golf-related forums on the web after seeing the actions the owners and mods took.

Re: Usenet - man, was that place an absolute dumpster fire. I was heavily involved in Usenet in the late 90's/early 2000's and boy oh boy talk about insanity. Even in some groups with relatively tame topics (bands, drumming, etc) things would spiral out of control quickly.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

16 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

That was one of the examples in mind as I was typing my post.  🙂

Sadly, it's not the only one.  There are too many examples.

... It was my first forum of any kind. As someone with an open mind that also enjoys irony and satire, I though the forum was moderated too tightly and didn't allow individual expression. What I later learned was there are trolls, both intentional and unintentional that will bring everyone down around them. Once the original owner/moderator bowed out and let a more lax atmosphere become the standard, I realized the inmates were running the asylum. It is sad that people being kind to each other, regardless of opinions, is something that has to be kept tightly controlled because there are too many out there that did not see kindness and understanding as the norm.

... WRX is a perfect example. There was a thread about comfortable walking golf shoes ands I posted a picture of my Foot Joy Athletic shoes that were very comfortable. The amount of posters attacking those shoes and making fun of them was overwhelming. Once one jumped in with rude comments, the floodgates opened and the trolls tried to out do one another with nasty comments. Completely lost was shoe comfort, the OP's original question. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, silver & black said:

I agree. I am on a few other forums (not golf related) that offer a "room" just for those types of discussions. For the most part, it works well. Nothing creeps into the main topic forums. You have to have thick skin and be prepared to have your opinions challenged, but it's not a bad thing to learn about differing opinions on the world, and what's going on in it. .... and that is just my opinion. 😉

Totally agree good to have open discussion. I believe the COVID thread at the beginning on here was shut down correct? That was a great thread for people from all over the world to discuss something effecting all of us, totally new and never seen (by any of us anyway) something that effected the entire world at once. Pretty sure that spiraled as we went on though.

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Just mind boggling to me and why social media has lost it's way. If you look at Covid as a medical issue, the facts are crystal clear. If you want to engage in Covid as a political issue, it is complete chaos. 

Thats the tough part is that so many topics just get into the weeds of politics, especially COVID which it has been created (here anyway, shame on me I honestly do not pay much attention to the outside world when it comes to COVID at this point in time) into a political battle instead of a humane discussion. typical us vs them mentality.

Also not sure if anyone has seen "social dilemma" on facebook but they have a wild graph in there about since social media became a very dominant thing in our lives the political left and right views have created a massive divide. It was something similar to this website below: Just wild stuff

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/charts-americas-political-divide-1994-2017/

• Like 1

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

49 minutes ago, chisag said:

... It was my first forum of any kind. As someone with an open mind that also enjoys irony and satire, I though the forum was moderated too tightly and didn't allow individual expression. What I later learned was there are trolls, both intentional and unintentional that will bring everyone down around them.

I didn't realize that.  Or maybe I forgot knowing that, LOL.

That forum spawned out of the chaos/cesspool that was the Golfonline Equipment Forum, aka the EF.  It was largely unmoderated, and devolved to the point that many/most bolted.  That's what prompted the moderation philosophy of the forum of which we speak.  The EF, as well as the Usenet groups I'd mentioned, were such that I hesitated for a couple months before actually registering for an ID on Delphi Forums.  🙂

Once the original owner/moderator bowed out and let a more lax atmosphere become the standard, I realized the inmates were running the asylum. It is sad that people being kind to each other, regardless of opinions, is something that has to be kept tightly controlled because there are too many out there that did not see kindness and understanding as the norm.unintentional that will bring everyone down around them. 

It didn't help that one of the bigger offenders was largely left in charge.  

... WRX is a perfect example. There was a thread about comfortable walking golf shoes ands I posted a picture of my Foot Joy Athletic shoes that were very comfortable. The amount of posters attacking those shoes and making fun of them was overwhelming. Once one jumped in with rude comments, the floodgates opened and the trolls tried to out do one another with nasty comments. Completely lost was shoe comfort, the OP's original question. 

I sometimes think too many people watch snarky TV shows, and spend their time emulating it (the overall tone) in an effort to gain the internet version of their 15 minutes of fame.  smh

Edited by NRJyzr

28 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Also not sure if anyone has seen "social dilemma" on facebook but they have a wild graph in there about since social media became a very dominant thing in our lives the political left and right views have created a massive divide. It was something similar to this website below: Just wild stuff

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/charts-americas-political-divide-1994-2017/

My take is that current social media trends are merely a demonstration of the divide that exists.  I think we can look back to the 90s for the actual genesis of that divide.

Modern social media just provides a more noticeable outlet for it

IMHO of course  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

Forums are privately owned and can, for the most part, do what they want. If a forum chooses to delete specific content, it's their right to do so, just as it's also their right to allow certain topics to continue. We don't have to like or agree with it, because frankly, posters have no say. All we can do is move on to other forums and be done with it, as many of us have with other golf-related forums on the web after seeing the actions the owners and mods took.

Re: Usenet - man, was that place an absolute dumpster fire. I was heavily involved in Usenet in the late 90's/early 2000's and boy oh boy talk about insanity. Even in some groups with relatively tame topics (bands, drumming, etc) things would spiral out of control quickly.

I remember the conversation you and I had before you joined here.  I’m so happy you jumped in! 

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I remember the conversation you and I had before you joined here.  I’m so happy you jumped in! 

Same here, buddy. 

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

... I grew up watching Andy of Mayberry and Leave It To Beaver kind of shows. Shows like The Office might be entertaining but as you said, being snarky and not polite or kind has become the norm. He!! Eddie Haskel was one of the most loathed characters on TV but he is pretty tame compared to todays TV world. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, chisag said:

... It was my first forum of any kind. As someone with an open mind that also enjoys irony and satire, I though the forum was moderated too tightly and didn't allow individual expression. What I later learned was there are trolls, both intentional and unintentional that will bring everyone down around them. Once the original owner/moderator bowed out and let a more lax atmosphere become the standard, I realized the inmates were running the asylum. It is sad that people being kind to each other, regardless of opinions, is something that has to be kept tightly controlled because there are too many out there that did not see kindness and understanding as the norm.

I can only imagine the reaction your golf sandals would get 😎. Which by the way I actually like the thought of those, especially in AZ. 

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I grew up watching Andy of Mayberry and Leave It To Beaver kind of shows. Shows like The Office might be entertaining but as you said, being snarky and not polite or kind has become the norm. He!! Eddie Haskel was one of the most loathed characters on TV but he is pretty tame compared to todays TV world. 

LOL on Eddie Haskel

My Fiance still loves and watches Andy Griffin, Murder She Wrote, Little House on the Praire, The Waltons and Matlock.  At any one time there are at least 7 or 8 episodes of each on the DVR.  

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

11 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

My take is that current social media trends are merely a demonstration of the divide that exists.  I think we can look back to the 90s for the actual genesis of that divide.

Modern social media just provides a more noticeable outlet for it

IMHO of course  🙂

The 90s for me were little league baseball so I cannot speak to that 😂 what I do know is social media has created a platform to one way debating which isn’t debating. Which in turn creates division 

• Like 2

Check out my reviews

WITB:

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

The 90s for me were little league baseball so I cannot speak to that 😂 what I do know is social media has created a platform to one way debating which isn’t debating. Which in turn creates division 

Thanks for making me feel older.  LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"I can only imagine the reaction your golf sandals would get 😎. Which by the way I actually like the thought of those, especially in AZ. 

... Actually they are not golf sandals, just sandals to wear in extreme heat. On WRX I would be accused of wearing them with knee high black nylon socks and shorts with the belt around my chest. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

No dirt intended lol just is not something I cant speak to intelligently or experience 😂 

• Like 2

Check out my reviews

WITB:

21 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

No dirt intended lol just is not something I cant speak to intelligently or experience 😂 

I didn't take it that way.  I mean, it's not your fault that when you were playing Little League, I was getting married for the second time.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually I thought the social division started late 60’s - early 70’s. Obviously B4 Social Media.
But now that shows age....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 5

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

56 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

... Here is a primer from someone that has lived through it. Just listen to the music of the 70's and it is easy to see there was always a divide in this country. Illustrated by 10 Years After's "Tax the rich, feed the poor, til there are, no rich no more. I'd love to change the world, but I don't know what to do." The 70's were all about making the world a better place, peace and love. Our hippie hearts were in the right place but we were also young and naive. The 80's came along and the pendulum swung from the 70's to the I'm Gonna Get Mine era. Deregulation spelled the beginning of the end and exploded the gap between the top 10% and the middle class that has slowly disappeared. We had a divide but for the most part it was a respectful divide. Yes there were radicals on both sides but they were the exception not the norm.

... What changed for your generation was the end of the news, replaced by For Profit organizations that exploited the divide. Before that, every news story needed 3 verifiable sources an all news was not slanted in any direction. Kinda like Dragnet "Just the facts Mam." All The Presidents Men is a great film capturing the last of the real news that took over 1 year to expose the Watergate scandal, something that would be broadcast in one day with todays lack of standards. Talk radio and a very slanted side emerged and facts went out the window. News outlets began running stories with one verified sourse and then no sources at all because they were now a For Profit venture. The news had always been a monetary loss leader backed by entertainment programming and once it looked to make a profit, standards had to go by the wayside. Being in broadcasting, many of my friends in the news business left because it was no longer news. It had become commentary and very biased commentary. 

... Part of the problem was it took days to get information, so it could be vetted and verified. Today information is instantaneous and virtually impossible to be verified. This is what allowed foreign interference because it is just so easy to get a Facebook account and start creating turmoil in comments. I was amazed at how many attacked vehemently someone with an opposing opinion when all they had to do was go to their homepage and see they had no friends, no pictures, no likes but posting anywhere they could make people mad at each other. Sadly, I have no answer to the solution or even where to start. All I know is being kind, considerate and respecting others with differing opinions has been and always will be the key to a productive democracy. 

• Like 7

... Here is a primer from someone that has lived through it. Just listen to the music of the 70's and it is easy to see there was always a divide in this country. Illustrated by 10 Years After's "Tax the rich, feed the poor, til there are, no rich no more. I'd love to change the world, but I don't know what to do." The 70's were all about making the world a better place, peace and love. Our hippie hearts were in the right place but we were also young and naive. The 80's came along and the pendulum swung from the 70's to the I'm Gonna Get Mine era. Deregulation spelled the beginning of the end and exploded the gap between the top 10% and the middle class that has slowly disappeared. We had a divide but for the most part it was a respectful divide. Yes there were radicals on both sides but they were the exception not the norm.

... What changed for your generation was the end of the news, replaced by For Profit organizations that exploited the divide. Before that, every news story needed 3 verifiable sources an all news was not slanted in any direction. Kinda like Dragnet "Just the facts Mam." All The Presidents Men is a great film capturing the last of the real news that took over 1 year to expose the Watergate scandal, something that would be broadcast in one day with todays lack of standards. Talk radio and a very slanted side emerged and facts went out the window. News outlets began running stories with one course and then no sources at all because they were now a For Profit venture. The news had always been a monetary loss leader backed by entertainment programming and once it looked to make a profit, standards had to go by the wayside. Being in broadcasting, many of my friends in the news business left because it was no longer news. It had become commentary and very biased commentary. 

... Part of the problem was it took days to get information, so it could be vetted and verified. Today information is instantaneous and virtually impossible to be verified. This is what allowed foreign interference because it is just so easy to get a Facebook account and start creating turmoil in comments. I was amazed at how many attacked vehemently someone other an opposing opinion when all they had to do was go to their homepage and see they had no friends, no pictures, no likes but posting anywhere they could make people mad at each other. Sadly, I have no answer to the solution or even where to start. All I know is being kind, considerate and respecting others with differing opinions has been and always will be the key to a productive democracy. 

Whew...I think you covered it[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list