Springbok

Is GolfWRX even relevant anymore?

Our Sponsors

Also here at MGS we don't  ******** the name of WRX like it does to MyGolfSpy 

Absolutely......however we personally feel about another blog, we at MGS do not throw them under the bus. Always take the high road when mentioning another blog.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra F8(10.5*) w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(17.0*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid; Ben Hogan PTx 5-PW w/Recoil 460 graphite shafts; Ben Hogan TKt Gw(49*) SW(53*) LW(57*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Tommy Armour Impact #3 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).
  • Like 5

I tried WRX briefly and it didn't fit for me.  I honestly can't remember why I stopped going there, and rarely posted, but for me looking at a hundred close up pics of pros bags and clubs at tour events just didn't interest me in the least.  I mean, I know what a golf club looks like, and I know what I play.  I didn't see the point of taking 15 pictures of some pro's 7 iron from about 15 different angles, zooms, etc.

Not bashing that if that is your thing, but it's just not for me.

I go to WRX a few times a week. Not to the forum just the main site. I occasionally find something of interest. All golf sites are different and... the same in one way or another. They're all competing for eyeballs/clicks I suppose. However, I haven't seen WRX get into cutting golf balls in half yet. LOL

• Like 4

I regularly visit three different golf forums, including WRX.  For me, the Rules section at WRX is more active than at any of the others, and there are a number of well-informed and knowledgeable posters there.  There is also an occasional interesting thread in the Instruction and Travel areas.  The rest just holds no interest for me. But as many others have said, there are quite a few rude, sarcastic, and just plain nasty posters along with the good ones.  

I think that each of the forums that I visit has good points, obviously, or I wouldn't use them.  MGS has without a doubt, the most civil and considerate users of any.  

• Like 7

I remember BombSquadGolf in the early 2000’s. They were BigHitter’s in pushing tour van gear and Matrix Ozik shafts. There wasn’t an alternative on the internet and anyone who was a golf gear head had limited choices in where to talk shop.

Why bring them up?

They were heavy on pushing their internal sales and self-promotion.

The key here is that each site and forum has their “thing” that attracts people. THP and WRX each have their thing and for me, MGS is the one I’m drawn toward.

I’m exclusive to MGS. The equipment studies and transparency are up there but above all, the quality of discussion and discourse keeps me coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I remember BombSquadGolf in the early 2000’s. They were BigHitter’s emoji6.png in pushing tour van gear and Matrix Ozik shafts. There wasn’t an alternative on the internet and anyone who was a golf gear head had limited choices in where to talk shop.

Why bring them up?

They were heavy on pushing their internal sales and self-promotion.

The key here is that each site and forum has their “thing” that attracts people. THP and WRX each have their thing and for me, MGS is the one I’m drawn toward.

I’m exclusive to MGS. The equipment studies and transparency are up there but above all, the quality of discussion and discourse keeps me coming back.

Same here. I searched around a lot and MGS seemed like the best with an active community. That is a big thing for me, the community. For me golf is just as much about the game as it is about the people. 

I have not been active on any other groups mostly because the engagement was not there. 

• Like 2

This whole topic is a mesh sheer “what I think”. Most of these websites, including here, aren’t necessary but entertainment driven. 

3 minutes ago, Rantings said:

This whole topic is a mesh sheer “what I think”. Most of these websites, including here, aren’t necessary but entertainment driven. 

Isn’t almost everything ever written on the internet a “what i think” comment.   

And i will argue entertainment is necessary 😁

• Like 3

I still post on WRX and I dont find it to be really any different than it ever once.  I think its still the largest forum there is and has a wealth of information.

I post on several golf forums (THP, WRX and this one) and I like them all but they are differrent.  I guess that I dont really care which one people think is the best or is the most relevant.

I will say it "seems" as if traffic has really slowed over these since the reboot.

There are member that are very nice but a ton of them who are there to start fights, argue, report you and make other feel like they are stupid for expressing an opinion.

I posted something about women's golf a long time ago and you would think we are stuck in the 40's and 50's with the aggressive feedback i received. It was disgusting.

Anyway, to each his own. I still read the site and participate but the mood over there is so negative compared to MGS. It becomes tiring sometimes. I literally had a guy tell me to F-off because i called someone a hater for bashing Titleist.....no action taken......

but like i said, its ok over there, just not great. too combative

• Like 1

I used to be active over there and now I just lurk and post occasionally. If I wanted to sit on my phone and argue with someone I would just text my wife.

To the original question they are still very relevant but not everyone’s cup of tea. They do a great job of pics for new equipment and player’s WITB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 10/5/2019 at 10:42 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

The bold part is a huge thing for me to see someone mention, especially the active part!  Thanks!

When I first came to the site three years ago, I honestly could read an entire days worth of posting in about 30 minutes, that's really not an exaggeration.   

This forum has grown in members  and activity in such a way i can't even come close to keeping up with all the topics and threads.

I know we--As Moderators--- have said it many times, but I'll say it again...That's all due to the great membership, all the vets that have been here since the beginning and all the newcomers over the past few years like.   Almost to a member everyone conducts themselves in not only a professional way, but a truly welcoming and helpful way.  

That's the type of participation that will keep new members around and get them active.  So THANK YOU ALL!!

Well the moderators around here are okay too

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Well the moderators around here are okay too

Flattery will get you everywhere 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/25/2019 at 2:45 PM, perseveringgolfer said:

THIS ^^^^

I now dont frequent wrx due to this and havent been back since joining MGS 18 months ago.

+ 1 Was on WRX and always get mocked or usually receive "go get lessons" response to honest questions. 

They almost always chase away their pros because of these attacks. 

• Like 3

+ 1 Was on WRX and always get mocked or usually receive "go get lessons" response to honest questions. 
They almost always chase away their pros because of these attacks. 

The members and corresponding comments are definitely more respectful here and all opinions are valued.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

The members and corresponding comments are definitely more respectful here and all opinions are valued.

One of the OEM's I met with last week made a point of mentioning how friendly as well as knowledable our forum members are.

I totally agreed. 

• Like 4

I check in over there occasionally but haven’t posted in a long time. Some folks are OK but not as receptive as MGS.

• Like 3

I was here before WRX--- I got involved with WRX by accident while doing research on a loft and lie machine. Everyone on here that knows me knows I am into vintage and classic clubs. I found a whole section there on that very subject. I mostly stay in that section and one other. Like others have said you can get into some mess on the general forums. And yes absolutely there are a lot of a$$hats on the general forums there. I have never ran into that here at MGS. With the forum revamp over there there have been some technical problems. Several of our older classics members have dropped out over that. In fact a couple I know have came on here. Over there certain people can get away with a lot of mess others can not. Some folks get banned for no apparent reason. Here in all the time I have been here I have only known one person to get banned. I find MGS to be civilized. I also find it frankly chicken schmidt that if you mention MGS over there it will be *** out. Some of us refer to MGS over there as "the other site". They act like MGS is a big threat. Probably they have a Manchurian Candidate over here monitoring this and will report me and I will be banned. Really do not care I will jut stay here 

• Like 3

I have been a member of WRX for nearly 10 years and just recently joined the MGS forum. I will say from a forum perspective, WRX is still king of the hill even with the wildly unpopular migration to Vanilla and also provides the best coverage of the PGA Merchandise Show IMHO. However, from an original content standpoint, MGS is on an entirely different level. The key there really comes down to the investment in facilities, testing equipment, data presentation software, video equipment/editing that WRX does not seem too interested in making. 

On the perception of the rise in negativity over there, I think that has to do with A) the increase in membership size over the years (more people, more problems) and B) the increase in negativity over the past few years on internet/social media in general. If/when the MGS forum reaches the size of WRX, it will likely experience similar problems. The one thing that really can't stand is when a small number of bad seeds end up berating a valuable sponsor, OEM rep, or industry expert over something stupid that ends up scaring them off permanently as that only ends up hurting the community. 

Ultimately both have their strengths and weaknesses so I will continue to contribute to/learn from both for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 7