Is GolfWRX even relevant anymore?

Springbok

2 hours ago, TENBUCK said:

That's another reason I like MGS is because they don't show favoritism(at least I haven't seen it) to guys in testing products. It's kind of obvious when you see it happen over and over again on other sites.

Thanks for that.  

We spend ALOT of time as a moderating team trying to make sure we get testers who we feel comfortable knowing they will give a honest effort on the testing, yet trying to get as many first time testers involved as well. 

• Like 6

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I have been a ClubWRX contributor/donor the past couple years or so.  I did it be because I appreciated the effort the owner made in providing a free site to discuss many aspects of golf.  I have been a member since 2006 and have seen a decline in respectful tone by many new members.  I am also tired of the "Johnson" measuring contest that many of the so called scratch members have in that they are so great a golfer and can hit drives over 300 yards and can break 85 at Augusta National Golf Club never seeing the course, 1 hour practice, no caddie, walking and playing under Sunday Masters tournament conditions at Masters tournament tees.  I also love the 15 handicapper who drives the ball 360 yards in the fairway almost every time they drive a ball, who can hit irons great and putt really great yet they are a 15 handicapper.  The self pontificating is nauseating and lack of respect is insulting.  It is sad to see opinion posts created where the OP is asking for opinions and then tells anyone who has a differentiating opinion that they are wrong.  I suppose this scenario might no be isolated at GolfWRX and may be more systemic on the internet as a whole.  That said, I find myself going to GolfWRX less and less.  I rejoined FB because of a few reasons, family interaction first and foremost but also for a Persimmon Wood society that have congregated there.  Many are former GolfWRX members who have left the site.  Since I have a great love and passion for persimmon woods this was a predictable move for me.

That said, I believe GolfWRX offers a wealth of information and was really the first super site that captured the golf IBB scene.  BSG was a bit harsh to be on as the membership back in the day seemed to be what GolfWRX has become.  I believe my days of going to GolfWRX as a daily must visit is coming to an end.  So yes, I do believe GolfWRX has lost its relevancy.

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 8

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.8°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S (non-Velocore)

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan 1999 Apex blade 3-E, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°(bent to 52°) / 58°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred (2016 ball)

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5 stand bag

On 9/9/2020 at 5:48 PM, TENBUCK said:

That's another reason I like MGS is because they don't show favoritism(at least I haven't seen it) to guys in testing products. It's kind of obvious when you see it happen over and over again on other sites.

It never occurred to me to join in order to try be a tester, either here or at WRX.  I think I've put my name in the hat twice in the years I've been a member at WRX, and never have here.  <shrug>

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5" -or- King LTD, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; TBD iron set, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TM TP5, Kirkland Signature 3pc v2

I still spend most of my time at WRX but there is quite a bit more insults thrown around than there used to be 7 or 8 years ago. I've come here a lot to read the club testing articles but I've never spent a lot of time in the forums because for a long time there just didn't seem to be a lot of activity in them. I definitely am starting to see a change in that regard and have started to frequent this place a lot more which is something my wife is very happy about.😄 I'm just glad we have both places to enjoy. 

• Like 3

Ping G410, 10.5 5.5 Evenflow , Ping G425 5 wood/ Ping Anser 20 degree hybrid/ Srixon ZX5, 5-PW/ Ping Glide 50,54, & 58ES/ Bettinardi Queen B

2 hours ago, braincramp said:

I still spend most of my time at WRX but there is quite a bit more insults thrown around than there used to be 7 or 8 years ago. I've come here a lot to read the club testing articles but I've never spent a lot of time in the forums because for a long time there just didn't seem to be a lot of activity in them. I definitely am starting to see a change in that regard and have started to frequent this place a lot more which is something my wife is very happy about.😄 I'm just glad we have both places to enjoy. 

Glad you came back for another look.  You srw correct on the activity.  We have had a tremendous increase in both members and active members in the last 2-3 years. 

Lots of good topics around here now. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 10:52 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Glad you came back for another look.  You srw correct on the activity.  We have had a tremendous increase in both members and active members in the last 2-3 years. 

Lots of good topics around here now. 

There has to be a reason for that....😏!!

• Like 1

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Alta CB- 55

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

:bettinardi-1: BB-41

Grips- GP MCC+4

6 hours ago, TENBUCK said:

There has to be a reason for that....😏!!

Good members, good content and good manors😬

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Golfwrx has definitely gone downhill and seem to ban members whenever they cast doubt on golf instruction especially if the golf instructor also happens to be a sponsor of their site. I can understand the financial reasoning but its not very good for golf instruction if people are banned for posting alternative opinions. 

There also seems to be a clique of forum members waiting  to attack as a group anyone who does not conform to their ideas. They are especially sensitive (and fearful) about modern biomechanical research which is slowly progressing closer to the truth about the kinetics and kinematics involved in a golf swing . Think about it !  If golf science provides a more accurate model of cause and effect in the golf swing , then any 'qualitative' golf concepts being sold out there are virtually 'dead meat' (with the potential of severe financial loss).

I regard the MSG as the mature adult while  Golfwrx suffers from childish tantrums.

• Like 5

I agree. I have a decent amount of posts and activity over there but find the content here refreshing and glad I’m hoping over to MGS

• Like 3

Cobra Bag                                                                                Current Bag 

Driver: Radspeed XB 9 Motore 6X                                          Driver: TSi2 8.25 Ventus Black 6TX

Fairways: 3&7 Radspeed Motore F1 7X                                  Fairway:TSi2 16.5 Tensei Raw White 85TX 

Hybrid: OL 4 Hybrid Tensei White 100TX                               DI: Vapor Pro 3 - LAGP 105X 

Irons: Radspeed OL 5-GW KBS $Taper 130X                         Irons: 4-6 T100 7-PW 620 CB X100

Wedges: Snakebite OL 56@54 & 60 KBS $-Taper 130X       Wedges: SM8 50.1, RTX Zipcore 55 & 60 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 

Legacy Goods Powell Prototype                                             Legacy Goods Powell Prototype 

-PROV1X or Prov1                                                                    -PROV1X or Prov1

6 hours ago, Wildthing said:

Golfwrx has definitely gone downhill and seem to ban members whenever they cast doubt on golf instruction especially if the golf instructor also happens to be a sponsor of their site. I can understand the financial reasoning but its not very good for golf instruction if people are banned for posting alternative opinions. 

There also seems to be a clique of forum members waiting  to attack as a group anyone who does not conform to their ideas. They are especially sensitive (and fearful) about modern biomechanical research which is slowly progressing closer to the truth about the kinetics and kinematics involved in a golf swing . Think about it !  If golf science provides a more accurate model of cause and effect in the golf swing , then any 'qualitative' golf concepts being sold out there are virtually 'dead meat' (with the potential of severe financial loss).

I regard the MSG as the mature adult while  Golfwrx suffers from childish tantrums.

Been there done that! Don't dare mention anything negative regarding Tiger......

• Like 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max - 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Diamana 75 Limited Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small:Vokey SM 7 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 X

4 hours ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

I agree. I have a decent amount of posts and activity over there but find the content here refreshing and glad I’m hoping over to MGS

Welcome aboard......

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max - 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Diamana 75 Limited Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small:Vokey SM 7 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 X

LOL they have a thread on the same subject over there right now if they have not blocked or taken down. I only go on 2 sections over there as I have stated before. But like Robot observed back in September a lot of our classic guys have switched over to The Persimmon Golf Society on FB. I have also observed on here the interest in Classic Golf is picking up and I am glad to see that. 

• Like 5

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400 Sensicore--- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bag My Old School Titleist Mini Staff

19 hours ago, Wildthing said:

Well golf instruction is always subjective and can be a slippery slope. I have always been of the school that there is no one etched in stone way to properly swing or play this game. But with that being said i am not going to say instruction is bad but will say it can and will benefit some folks. Believe it or not I can subscribe to the biomechanical thing because I understand and practice isometrics some. I have always been a proponent of experiment and find out what works for you and your game and go about the business best for you. 

That last line you posted wraps it up in a nutshell----- Hey if one disagrees with me in a mature manner I have absolutely no problem. If I disagree I may tell you well it is not my cup of tea but if it works for you carry on. Yep over here you may get someone who does not agree with you but you will NOT be called a idiot or as they say on WRX flamed

• Like 5

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400 Sensicore--- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bag My Old School Titleist Mini Staff

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

That last line you posted wraps it up in a nutshell----- Hey if one disagrees with me in a mature manner I have absolutely no problem. If I disagree I may tell you well it is not my cup of tea but if it works for you carry on. Yep over here you may get someone who does not agree with you but you will NOT be called a idiot or as they say on WRX flamed

I browse over there from time to time and it's nuts how when one poster disagrees with another, they immediately come in hot with the insults. It's like middle school. No thanks. 

• Like 5

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I browse over there from time to time and it's nuts how when one poster disagrees with another, they immediately come in hot with the insults. It's like middle school. No thanks. 

I actually clicked on a WRX post before joining MGS in 2012.  I was interested in the subject (don't remember what it was), but was immediately turned off by the responses the OP got.  Occasionally, I will see a WRX post while searching the interweb and click on it.  I have to laugh!  Things haven't changed.

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I do like on WRX that I can sell almost anything. I had a random Odyssey putter weight and a putter grip that I didn't need. Both sold in like 20 minutes of posting... And then I had a cheap shaft extractor that i wanted to get rid of. Also sold in 20 minutes.

• Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Well golf instruction is always subjective and can be a slippery slope. I have always been of the school that there is no one etched in stone way to properly swing or play this game. But with that being said i am not going to say instruction is bad but will say it can and will benefit some folks. Believe it or not I can subscribe to the biomechanical thing because I understand and practice isometrics some. I have always been a proponent of experiment and find out what works for you and your game and go about the business best for you. 

... Exactly Stu SOOOOO many ways to swing a golf club with some kind of success. I have said this before, but you touched on the cornerstone of good instruction. My primary goal when I taught full time was to help someone continue to do what they already do ... much better. If a 50 yr old golfer that has an over the top slice move resulting in weak 200 yd drives that fade 15-20 yds came to me for lessons I had several questions they needed to answer honestly. I explained I am there for them and my only goal was to help them play better so they needed to answer my questions with 100% honesty. Do you want to fundamentally change your swing, which may take 1 to 2 years? How many days of practice are you willing to put in between lessons? Is your goal to just play better golf, p[lay business golf and just improve to be respectable, play some tournaments or just be better for your weekend round? Most were honest and just wanted to improve with minimal practice and would be happy just hitting more solid shots. 

... At that point my goal was to turn their 15-20 yd weak slice into a controlled 5-10 yd fade, with better contact and some increased distance. If I could help them drop their scores from 100+ to mid-low 90's that would be a huge success. Of course I also had students willing to change, put in the work and practice between lessons, my instruction was much different. But believe it or not, they were the exception. I had more than a handful of golfers, usually with money to burn, that didn't really want to change anything but hoped for a miracle cure like "just aim more to the right" and your fade will disappear OR they just wanted to tell their friends they are taking lessons. I had one student that owned 3 car dealerships that I taught for 2.5 years and  he came in every week and admitted right up front he wasn't gonna change anything and just wanted to say he was taking lessons to shut his friends up. I spent 75% of his lessons listening to him talk about his golf, friends, his business and equipment that he changed all the time. 

• Like 7

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have said this before, but you touched on the cornerstone of good instruction. My primary goal when I taught full time was to help someone continue to do what they already do ... much better. If a 50 yr old golfer that has an over the top slice move resulting in weak 200 yd drives that fade 15-20 yds came to me for lessons I had several questions they needed to answer honestly. I explained I am there for them and my only goal was to help them play better so they needed to answer my questions with 100% honesty. Do you want to fundamentally change your swing, which may take 1 to 2 years? How many days of practice are you willing to put in between lessons? Is your goal to just play better golf, p[lay business golf and just improve to be respectable, play some tournaments or just be better for your weekend round? Most were honest and just wanted to improve with minimal practice and would be happy just hitting more solid shots. 

... At that point my goal was to turn their 15-20 yd weak slice into a controlled 5-10 yd fade, with better contact and some increased distance. If I could help them drop their scores from 100+ to mid-low 90's that would be a huge success. Of course I also had students willing to change, put in the work and practice between lessons, my instruction was much different. But believe it or not, they were the exception. I had more than a handful of golfers, usually with money to burn, that didn't really want to change anything but hoped for a miracle cure like "just aim more to the right" and your fade will disappear OR they just wanted to tell their friends they are taking lessons. I had one student that owned 3 car dealerships that I taught for 2.5 years and  he came in every week and admitted right up front he wasn't gonna change anything and just wanted to say he was taking lessons to shut his friends up. I spent 75% of his lessons listening to him talk about his golf, friends, his business and equipment that he changed all the time. 

After reading this, I'm wondering how many of your students who were honest enough to tell you they weren't willing to put in the work, changed their mind and came back to you after you got them into the 90's wanting to now work harder to improve?

I'm sure they were happy to drop those 10 strokes, and hit a fade instead of the big slice, but I'd be so happy with that initial improvement you gave me, I'd be back looking for more... To me the fun/challenge in this game is the constant drive to get better. Maybe it's because of my prior sports background, but I can't imagine reaching a "level" and wanting to stay there.

• Like 3

:callaway-small:  Epic Max 9* Bassara

:callaway-small:  Mavrik Max 15* & 18* Helium

:cobra-small: Speedzone 21* Recoil 480

:callaway-small:  Rogue X 5-AW Synergy

:cleveland-small:  CBX2 50* & 56*

:ping-small: Kushion 4 34”    :yes-small:  Tracy 33.5”

:1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5 LS 14 way Black stand bag

2 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

After reading this, I'm wondering how many of your students who were honest enough to tell you they weren't willing to put in the work, changed their mind and came back to you after you got them into the 90's wanting to now work harder to improve?

I'm sure they were happy to drop those 10 strokes, and hit a fade instead of the big slice, but I'd be so happy with that initial improvement you gave me, I'd be back looking for more... To me the fun/challenge in this game is the constant drive to get better. Maybe it's because of my prior sports background, but I can't imagine reaching a "level" and wanting to stay there.

... I just wanted to add to this. I am personally a big believer that the hands/wrists/arms control and produce power for the golf swing. After all the hands touching the grip is the only contact we have with a golf club, some unique anti yip putting grips the exception. Obviously the feet/legs/hips/c hest/shoulders play a big supporting role in a good swing but I have never been a body oriented swing guy. One of the illustrative drills I had my students execute was stand with your legs locked and without taking a body turn simply swing back cocking their wrists and swing forward re-cocking through impact. Most were surprised how far and straight they could hit the ball. Yet some with zero athletic background/poor hand eye coordination had a hard time doing this. So the other illustrative drill was hold the club in front and without actively cocking their wrists (some cocking will occur naturally) simple turn back and turn through allowing the body to power the swing. Most were surprised how short and crooked they hit the ball.

... One of my teaching "secrets" was to start a lesson with having someone just throw a golf ball at a patch pf grass 15 yards away. If they did so with normal throwing mechanics I knew they were going to be easier to teach. Those that threw like a push, using their body and little wrist action or what we politically incorrectly called "throwing like a girl" back in the day, or if they threw it underhanded I knew I had my work cut out for me. I had no problem teaching them a body oriented swing taking advantage of their natural tendencies, but would always at least try and get them to understand and execute a correct throwing motion and then attempt to incorporate that into their swing. 

• Like 5

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)