Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Iron Shaft Fitting

JonMUSC08

I have an older set of TM Rocketbladz Tour irons that I still enjoy but would like to see if a new set of shafts would perform better. Is there any way to get fit for new shafts for older irons? I know they can use the Mizuno shaft optimizer and any new irons have interchangeable heads. How do you get custom fit for old irons...? thx

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

I reality if you went for a regular iron fitting a shaft recommendation should be part of the process.

Unless there is some massive design difference between your set and the set fit with you should get your answer.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

On 9/27/2019 at 8:05 AM, jlukes said:

As old as those clubs are, it's not worth it. 

The cost of buying new shafts and having your clubs reshafted will be around $400-500, much more than what the clubs are worth

This is spot on. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

...  Well here is a dissenting vote, I think RBZ Tours are outstanding irons and if they fit you and you like them, I think they are well worth re-shafting. The cost of most new pro line irons are well over $1,000 and especially considering the RBZ Tours are not forged and will last for years. I also think the Mizuno Optimizer will help you learn exactly what type of shaft that fits your swing. Fine tuning similar shafts for your specific irons will take a custom fitting. But if you are not sure of what shaft fits your swing type, the Optimizer is really an amazing fitting tool and will match your swing with a specific type of shaft. That said, if KB Tours are a good fit for you, I doubt any new shaft will perform noticeably better. Of course if you need a completely different type of shaft with a stiffer tip or one that produces less spin, then the performance difference will be worth the upgrade.

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

20 hours ago, chisag said:

The cost of new irons is well over $1,000

You're a font of knowledge, but with this you are incorrect. Sub 70 irons are very very good and they run about $550 or less. You can have a set of very good Maltby irons made for peanuts. Hogans will set you back about $700 or so. The big OEMs charging over $1000 for a set of irons, which often start at a 4 or 5 iron and go to PW is a joke.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

43 minutes ago, MattF said:

You're a font of knowledge, but with this you are incorrect. Sub 70 irons are very very good and they run about $550 or less. You can have a set of very good Maltby irons made for peanuts. Hogans will set you back about $700 or so. The big OEMs charging over $1000 for a set of irons, which often start at a 4 or 5 iron and go to PW is a joke.

And none of them offer a fitting... At best, you can demo a couple of clubs to test independently on the course, but empirical data to base a purchase decision on will likely be sparse - since we don't all own a Track Man or have access to one.

I'm not saying that the brands mentioned aren't reasonable options for a new club purchase, but for the purpose of the discussion being held, they offer little guarantee that the OP would be any better off than he is currently.

I've thought about trying some different shafts in my current irons as I do quite enjoy them, but I personally couldn't justify the cost. It'd be different if I felt confident in my ability to fit myself and make the swap on my own, but not sure I want to tackle that right now. For myself personally, I'd rather go to a quality fitter that utilizes the Mizuno tool and get brand new, fully tailored clubs.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, MattF said:

Cobra and Srixon are under $1000. Also the big companies have larger r&d departments and marketing that go into the cost along with the tools/machines needed to make the parts. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 9/27/2019 at 6:32 AM, jlukes said:

Really the only way to do it is to find a similar head style that is new and try shafts in it.

This. 

I did this recently because I want to know what my options are moving from stiff to xstiff flex, so they had me hit the newer clubhead that was most similar to my current irons. While this will not get as dialed in as a full fitting, it will definitely get you some good options if you wanted to reshaft your clubs. 

I also disagree about a new set for one reason. When you stand over the ball you need to feel confident that the stick in your hand is going to allow you to pure a shot exactly where you want it. If your clubheads help with that, it could be worth some new shafts. I wouldn’t close the door on new clubs, as you may like some even more, but sometimes things just work for people. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

2 hours ago, MattF said:

... Since the OP was speaking about tour level irons from TaylorMade and possibly Mizuno, I was thinking about those irons as well as most of the big name OEMs top of the line irons. But of course you are correct and I should have qualified my answer. Plenty of irons out there like you mentioned and more for under $1K. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

except none of the companies like sbu70 and maltby make an iron in LH for that level.  Like Golfworks and would get theirs first

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.