Middler

Are Colored Golf Balls Really A Thing?

I see more and more of them in ads, but I still see mostly white on the golf course. I do know a few people who play yellow regularly, and I've seen orange and various (Callaway's) "soccer balls" with some frequency, but it's very rare I see other colors even though there are many. I've never seen anyone playing Volvik's and I have only found 1 since they came out. Who/where are these blue, green, red, purple, gold, pink, etc. plus all the matte & neon variation balls being bought and played? I did a search and didn't find any data...

I tried to play the orange Volvik I found but it was a little like looking at a light bulb, it was distracting to my eye so I drove it (back) out in the woods after a few holes.

Edited by Middler
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Middler said:

I see more and more of them, but I still see mostly white on the golf course. I do know a few people who play yellow regularly, and I've seen orange and various (Callaway's) "soccer balls" with some frequency, but it's very rare I see other colors even though there are many. I've never seen anyone playing Volvik's and I have only found 1 since they came out. Who/where are these blue, green, red, purple, gold, pink, etc. plus all the matte & neon variation balls being bought and played? I did a search and didn't find any data...

I tried to play the orange Volvik I found but it was a little like looking at a light bulb, it was distracting to my eye so I drove it (back) out in the woods after a few holes.

I come across colored golf balls at least every month.  They used to be the old green/blue Mojos, now they are mostly Callaways or pink Nitros.  I have come across a number of Volviks, but not frequently.  Occasionally I find a colored Bridgestone hiding in the grass.  

Generally the guys or gals I see playing a colored ball are recreational guys that get out once a month or so and (more often) I tend to see the ladies around the area playing a pink or yellow ball.

*Edit:   I find that the bright colors are easier to see in the air during end of the day rounds when the sun is lower in the sky and/or on a course with shaggy rough.

• Like 2

I see mostly (99%) white with the guys in our league. My wife plays a yellow ball - but only to differentiate it from mine since both of us play ProV1x. I don't see any advantage to different colors or patterns like Truvis. 

On the other hand I find a lot of different colored balls on the course - Maxfli, Volvik, etc that I stick in my shagbag. I found most of these, especially the Volviks play like rocks. 

• Like 1

I suspect that you will see mostly white with occasionally the optic yellow balls now that Titleist came out with them in the PV1 at private clubs.  I play at a muni,  and I see all kinds of colors.  The Callaway Truvis is very popular too.

Personally, I can't see many of the colors, including the Truvis.  I play white, but on cloudy days the yellow works well for me.  On guy in my group plays a bright green Volvik; I can't see it very well in the air, but it does tend to stand out against our shade of grass, so it's easy to find.

• Like 3

I see colored balls often around the course. When I find them I save them for our first tee kids. But I've never played one hole with one. I'm white only.

• Like 2

I switched to the yellow Snell balls this year. I play almost exclusively by myself and found I could track the yellow better in flight. On the ground the yellow isn't a whole lot easier to see, but it isn't any worse than a white ball.

Throughout the year I've found a few other colors, mostly pink, a Truvis or two, orange, blue and red. How people can play with the blue and red, I don't know. They are nearly impossible to see. 

My mother-in-law plays exclusively with pink balls. I know many other women in her golfing group of friends do, too.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Middler said:

I see more and more of them in ads, but I still see mostly white on the golf course. I do know a few people who play yellow regularly, and I've seen orange and various (Callaway's) "soccer balls" with some frequency, but it's very rare I see other colors even though there are many. I've never seen anyone playing Volvik's and I have only found 1 since they came out. Who/where are these blue, green, red, purple, gold, pink, etc. plus all the matte & neon variation balls being bought and played? I did a search and didn't find any data...

We sell tons of the matte colored balls by both Bridgestone and Wilson in our shop.  They are very popular. 

• Like 2

I think what you're seeing here is that golfers are by nature creatures of habit and slaves to tradition for no other reason than, "that's how I've always done it." Also, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that sentiment either. I love the yellow of Srixon and Titleist as it's a very good look to my eye, hell I played the pink version of the e6 in 2014-15 after I was fit for the white one and found that the pink was sold for cheaper at times.

For those of us who want to play our best, but also exist outside the traditional white sphere, a little splash of color goes a long way.

But also, and this ties into the discussion in the Trufeel thread, sometimes you have golfers who don't care about playing to their total optimum and want to have some fun. That's why a lot of these two piece offerings are in matte and crazy colors, for people who just want a good time!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

I think what you're seeing here is that golfers are by nature creatures of habit and slaves to tradition for no other reason than, "that's how I've always done it." Also, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that sentiment either. I love the yellow of Srixon and Titleist as it's a very good look to my eye, hell I played the pink version of the e6 in 2014-15 after I was fit for the white one and found that the pink was sold for cheaper at times.

For those of us who want to play our best, but also exist outside the traditional white sphere, a little splash of color goes a long way.

But also, and this ties into the discussion in the Trufeel thread, sometimes you have golfers who don't care about playing to their total optimum and want to have some fun. That's why a lot of these two piece offerings are in matte and crazy colors, for people who just want a good time!

Hammer Meet Nail!!  

• Like 2

I started playin yellow when the first came out as they were easier to see for me. I did not use them, though, in high dandelion season in Wisconsin. I d for me to see.

I have seen quite a few Bridgestone matte red e12, but more yellow.

Interesting point.  Given the less that perfect ability to see a white ball against a light grey netting, my local driver range is going over to yellow so that one can see the decent of the ball better. Seems to work.

Purely based on my "finds", they sure seem to be getting more popular.  My brother sent me a box of Chromesoft Tru-Vis this past March for by b-day.  It's a variety pack with one sleeve of yellow soccer balls; others are white with US Flag, Green clover, and all white. I've only recently started playing colored balls and, while I prefer white, they are starting to grow on me... a little.

• Like 1

I use the red trufeel at the minigolf center....yellow works on the course, especially with the leaves coming down all over the courses near my house.

• Like 1

At least half the golfers my son plays with in PGA Jr are using some sort of colored ball. He likes the red SoftFlis but tends to stick with Cally Truvis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer a yellow ball, typically because everyone else in my group usually plays a white ball, so as to distinguish it from theirs.  However, because I play balls that I find, which a lot of times is a ProV1(x), I end up playing those and marking them with my own mark to distinguish.  I swear I could probably continue to play found balls perpetually, considering how frequently I seem to find someone's once hit and lost ProV1.

I find quite a few colored balls of various brands.I play a public course with houses and a number of seniors male and female. I find maybe 10 Truvis a year and mayne 30 colored a year compared to 100s of white. Im considering playing them wet season but I just dint like the feel when I try them out. 

• Like 1