Middler

Are Colored Golf Balls Really A Thing?

FWIW this thread was not about yellow, TruVis or white golf balls, it was about all the other wild colors and finishes you see in stores, e.g. Volvik. I’ve seen a few orange or pink balls, but in decades of playing (from munis to CCs) I’ve never seen anyone playing blue, red, green, purple, matte, mint, sherbet, black, or any of the wild logo balls. Haven’t found one lost either. Yet I see them for sale at many golf retailers year after year. Who’s playing them? Where?

Edited by Middler

11 hours ago, Middler said:

I guess you weren’t able to read post #1.

Oh I read it. I can tell you at the shop I am at. White vs yellow prov’s are neck and neck in sales. The don’t make those balls just to sit on shelves. They make them because people want them. 

we sell a ton of those crap volviks and other weird colors as well. Lots of women play them. 

Edited by Quigleyd
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

Oh I read it. I can tell you at the shop I am at. White vs yellow prov’s are neck and neck in sales. The don’t make those balls just to sit on shelves. They make them because people want them.  

... Wow, that is very surprising. As someone paired up with literally hundreds of strangers in Phoenix, I have only seen a handful of yellow balls and I am not sure any of them were ProV1's. I guess what happens in Reno stays in Reno. 😉

19 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Wow, that is very surprising. As someone paired up with literally hundreds of strangers in Phoenix, I have only seen a handful of yellow balls and I am not sure any of them were ProV1's. I guess what happens in Reno stays in Reno. 😉

Could be true. I think I read that colored balls make up about 30% of the market, I do not remember the source. So I could be making that up. So dont quote me. BUt,I if true that is  3-10. Still pretty small numbers, I am sure the white proVs sell more regularly but the yellows are very popular. I play the yellow prov1X so count me as one. I need to come down to AZ and play a round with you so that you can say you saw a yellow proV on a course. 

Edited by Quigleyd
  • Like 1

As @russtopherb stated above, just go to any young-kid junior event.  

My oldest played brightly colored balls until she got to high school.  Then she started playing Mojos, until her teammates gave her crap about it.  That got her to switch to Chromesofts.

My little one (12) loves crazy colored balls, and she loves the matte finish balls.  I bought her an "ammo box" of matte Volvik Vivids last Christmas, and she's still working her way through them.  I try to slip her a "real" ball every now and again to see if she'll like it better, but she still doesn't notice.  She's still under that 80 MPH mark where a firmer ball doesn't really make a big difference.  Hoping that as she continues her recent growth spurt and works with SuperSpeed that she'll begin to notice a difference and we can get rid of those Volviks.

• Like 3

I personally don’t like or play the Volvik and other designer colors. Although quite a few of the guys play buy/them because they are often on sale.
I play white or yellow because I can see them better.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rickp said:

I personally don’t like or play the Volvik and other designer colors. Although quite a few of the guys play buy/them because they are often on sale.

My feelings exactly!!  

• Like 1

I started last year with the Wilson Optic Red Duo Soft (matte finish). I found it at times difficult to see in the air when it cleared the sky and started down with a different background (tress and so on) but I could pick it up on the bounce. I was easy to find in the rough where I tend to play my share. As to the look of any colour I don't find it much of a distraction if any.

Currently gaming the e-12 in green matte finish and I really like that contrast in the air and on the ground. The only thing I have noticed is that the matte finish balls seem to have mud stick to them more often that the regular finish on other balls.

In the end I game the ball that feels the best on and around the green for myself and the e-12 is that ball for now and green is my preference (although I would say just a different shade of yellow really but they have a yellow option).

I have a regular playing partner who will play just about anything else I find and he has played many coloured golf balls that I find at my course. Usually find a lot more after a local tournament has finished...lol.

• Like 1

It's just me I guess but I played a yellow ProV1 I found last week for a couple holes, it just doesn't look right - mostly when I am putting strangely. In the air it makes no difference and it may be easier to find this time of year, not sure. But I don't even like yellow much less other colors. I guess I've become another old fuddy duddy...

• Like 1

Have to follow up on this. Since this thread I’ve been watching carefully what color the guys are playing. Now all of the guys are Seniors with obviously different eyesight challenges. Bottom line some guys can see the orange/red balls the best but difficulty with white or yellow. I’m completely the opposite, the yellow I can follow in the air the best no matter brand. Red/Orange no way I cannot see those once they leave the club face. White I can see OK but not as good as the yellow. I hope the yellow doesn’t ever get discontinued.

• Like 4

On 11/16/2019 at 2:20 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

As @russtopherb stated above, just go to any young-kid junior event.  

My oldest played brightly colored balls until she got to high school.  Then she started playing Mojos, until her teammates gave her crap about it.  That got her to switch to Chromesofts.

My little one (12) loves crazy colored balls, and she loves the matte finish balls.  I bought her an "ammo box" of matte Volvik Vivids last Christmas, and she's still working her way through them.  I try to slip her a "real" ball every now and again to see if she'll like it better, but she still doesn't notice.  She's still under that 80 MPH mark where a firmer ball doesn't really make a big difference.  Hoping that as she continues her recent growth spurt and works with SuperSpeed that she'll begin to notice a difference and we can get rid of those Volviks.

The little one does love the CS Truvis.  Hopefully Callaway improves their QC so they're not so awful.

16 hours ago, Green Sheep Productions said:

Anyone done testing on matte ball distances versus shiny ball distances? I'm convinced the Bridgestone e12s suffer for it.

MGS did.  I didn't see anything about distance, but it sounds like the finish affects spin in wet conditions:  https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

• Like 1

I'll throw my 2 cents in. I always played white balls and could never see any reason to play a colored ball. Some of the colors are just bizarre. I actually saw a guy playing a black ball last summer. Why? 

Anyways, I now play Yellow or a Matte Green balls primarily because after 7 eye surgeries plus getting older, the yellow or green is so much easier for me to see. I would guess that most colored balls are for people that use them because for them, they are easier to see. 

• Like 3

This morning I was the only player with a yellow ball other 3 were white. After a few holes it was noticed by all of us that the yellow ball was easier to see in the air and spotted quicker than the white balls.

• Like 3

I've found similar when playing yellow balls, or with folks who are playing yellow.

Don't like the matte finish balls, personally.  Find they mess with my depth perception.  Which I found odd.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rickp said:

This morning I was the only player with a yellow ball other 3 were white. After a few holes it was noticed by all of us that the yellow ball was easier to see in the air and spotted quicker than the white balls.

Depends on the season for us here. During spring and summer I'd agree  - the Titleist yellow are easy to spot. In the fall they seem to blend in more with the leaves on the ground.   I don't care for the matte finish from the other manufacturers- they just don't look right when I address the ball. 

• Like 1