Middler

Do You Play Found Balls?

Found Balls  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Play Found Balls?

• I play found balls as much as possible, and even make a point of looking for them as much as possible
    • I play found balls as much as possible, but don't look for them except when looking for my ball
    • I selectively play found balls if they're as good or better than my brand(s)
    • I don't play found balls at all - I leave them, give them to playing partners or toss them on the course for others to find

I know people in each category. I know people who (almost) never buy balls - they make sure they find more than they lose. I know a few people who will even walk a couple holes in the rough when they're not playing just to find balls. And some find so many this way they can keep the best and chuck the rest (e.g. keep tour grade balls and leave the rest). No right or wrong answer, found balls are probably good enough for many, especially these days with durability and shelf life being so long.

I rarely play found balls - if I happen to find a pristine white Snell MTBB or Pro V1 without goofy personal marks I'll probably keep it, anything else I chuck into the fairway or leave on a green for someone else to find...

Edited by Middler
  • Like 3

Depends on whether they are mine or not 🏌️♂️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

I will play a "found ball" if it's a tour ball in good shape, but only during my 9-hole practice rounds where I don't keep score.  If I find a ball in good shape that I haven't tried and want to try it, I will play it for a hole during a practice round just to see how it plays, then "lose it" if it's crap.

The best time to find good tour level balls is immediately after a shotgun start scramble!!

• Like 7

Funny aside. I played with a (league, not regular) guy last week who found a ball I'd lost a few weeks earlier, had my fairly unique marks on it (never seen anyone else with the same marks). However, I didn't point out it was in all probability mine so he may have it still - which is fine, I did lose it after all...

What would you do in this unusual circumstance? Keep it, or give it back to the "original owner?"

Edited by Middler

2 minutes ago, Middler said:

Funny aside. I played with a guy last week who found a ball of mine, had my fairly unique marks on it (never seen anyone else with the same marks). However, I didn't point out it was in all probability mine.

What would you do in this unusual circumstance? Keep it, or give it back to the "original owner?"

I'd probably just give it back to you.

As for me I pretty much always play found balls and will keep the premium balls I find when looking for a ball from someone in the group.   

• Like 1

I usually limit the number of good balls I lose to a sleeve per round. If I happen to lose those three, I'm digging into my found ball pocket. Everything in that pocket is generally in decent shape and are brands/models I want to play.

• Like 1

Heck I play found balls all the time. At my home course there's not a round when I don't find a keeper or two. I'd say 1 out of three are new balls. It seems everybody at my course only play the most expensive brands. Their loss my gain. Thank you everyone!

• Like 8

I don't play found balls, I consider it bad karma 😁

As to the comment about someone finding your previously lost ball.   One of our dewsweepers at our course found one of my balls earlier in the summer, he knows I have mine personalized.   When he came in and told me about it, I held out my hand expecting him to hand it to me.   He said, "You abandoned that ball, it's got a new owner"   LOL 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I don't play found balls, I consider it bad karma 😁

As to the comment about someone finding your previously lost ball.   One of our dewsweepers at our course found one of my balls earlier in the summer, he knows I have mine personalized.   When he came in and told me about it, I held out my hand expecting him to hand it to me.   He said, "You abandoned that ball, it's got a new owner"   LOL 

I wouldn't argue (and didn't). I am the one who lost it in the first place - if someone looks harder (another day) than I did and finds it, I have no claim to it anymore...

• Like 2

Most balls I find are lower cost bargain balls and they go into the side pocket for shag balls or,, balls I give to a playing partner that is either out of balls or just wants to drop another and hit one after a skank shot.
If I do find a premium ball that's close to design of what I'm playing now I'll throw it in play and see how it does.
If I'm playing a match or a tournament I only play new balls and will play them till I lose them of badly damage it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Funny aside. I played with a (league, not regular) guy last week who found a ball I'd lost a few weeks earlier, had my fairly unique marks on it (never seen anyone else with the same marks). However, I didn't point out it was in all probability mine so he may have it still - which is fine, I did lose it after all...

I have a unique mark on my ball as do the guys I play with. We do give them back to each other. I'd feel guilty hitting hitting a ball off the tee knowing it's my partners ball.

FYI those that don't belong to my partners go into my shag bag.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I look for golf balls if course isnt busy. I will play certain tour balls if they are in real good shape or a type Ive never played. I kick certain balls to buddies and donate some to a couole hig school players and a coworkers son. 

I will keep softer low compressin balls I find for cold weather and keep a bunch for the wet season as well when I lose a tonto plugging and deep grass.

Tourny play only gets  a fresh out of the box ball.

• Like 3

I give them to my son normally. If it’s a higher end ball I’ve never played before I’ll give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Nope. But I take them and use them for the former course turned town park behind my parents house.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

My main course is narrow and this time of year there are a lot of leaves on the ground. Found balls are almost a must but I do not look for them too much. 

• Like 2

It is amazing the number of premium balls (ProV1, Chromesoft, TP5) I find compared to cheaper ones. There are a couple holes that have wooden areas that tend to collect balls. Will stroll for a minute and try to round up equal to what I lose. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I usually limit the number of good balls I lose to a sleeve per round. If I happen to lose those three, I'm digging into my found ball pocket. Everything in that pocket is generally in decent shape and are brands/models I want to play.

I'm basically the same, but I usually won't lose an entire sleeve in a regular round.  If I'm playing a tournament (not a scramble), I'll go in for two fresh sleeves before going to the found balls.  If I lose six balls in a round, the only thing I'm hitting well is the beverage cart.

I always play found balls in scrambles.  I'll drag out the Velociraptor to hit off the tee and found Pro V1x balls everywhere else.  I don't want to play anything I care about, so I can just leave a bad shot in the trees without feeling obligated to go get it.

• Like 5

I’d say I’m in the actively look for but only selectively use found balls. I “usually” only lose 1or 2 balls a round, and can pretty easily find enough high quality tour balls in good condition to not have to purchase any balls. I don’t think I’ve bought golf balls in a few years, and I absolutely hate doing it. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Current streak of 27 holes with the same ProVX.   I think my record is around 45, so one more round to go to equal that.  I better go find a wide open easy course...ha

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'll play found balls depending upon what they are.  If theyre Titleists, Bridgestones or Srixons; yes.  Usually though, I find Top-Flites or Noodles though.

• Like 1