Middler

Do You Play Found Balls?

Found Balls  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Play Found Balls?

• I play found balls as much as possible, and even make a point of looking for them as much as possible
    • I play found balls as much as possible, but don't look for them except when looking for my ball
    • I selectively play found balls if they're as good or better than my brand(s)
    • I don't play found balls at all - I leave them, give them to playing partners or toss them on the course for others to find

I play "good" balls I find on the course. The rest of the balls I play are also found balls.... I order all my balls from Lost Golf Balls. I see no reason to pay $50.00 for golf balls.

• Like 3

Rarely. Has to be new-ish looking, and has to be Pro V or the like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I'll play found balls when playing solo.  If I am with my group, I play new or my own.

• Like 1

Absolutely I play found balls which, conservatively, have made up ~80% of my ball inventory over the years.  What's great is that I often find so many that I can cull out mediocre balls and maintain a good inventory of high end balls.  The last time I played in Bozeman, the guy I was playing with had one roll into the lake on a par 3.  I extracted it for him and picked up 5 others; a yellow Volvik, two Pro V1X and two I left on the edge for others to consider.  It was slow play and we had plenty of time.  

On 9/27/2019 at 12:21 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I don't play found balls, I consider it bad karma 😁

I love superstitious golfers 👍

On 9/27/2019 at 9:09 AM, Kenny B said:

The best time to find good tour level balls is immediately after a shotgun start scramble!!

Or following a Microsoft tournament - which we had the fortune to do a number of years ago when in WA.  They handed out boxes of top end balls to each group, most of which had little to no interest in the game.  If they squibbed one off into the ruff, the just left them.  I'm not sure what format they were playing (or if there was one).  Between the 3 of us, we must have picked up two dozen balls each.  Hell, there were balls left in the cup or in green side sand traps on a couple of holes 🤩. The ball-fest and watching them play more than made up for the slow round.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I find more golf balls then I lose in general, although my latest idea was to take an old Crown Royal bottle pouch, and place all of the non-Srixon balls that I deemed worthy of putting into play, into that pouch, to keep in the ball pocket of my golf bag.  I'll continue to play my Srixons until I run out, and then I'll exhaust the found ball pouch before adding new balls to my bag.

What generally happens is that I play with guys who hit stray shots into the trees and rough, and while looking for their balls I'll find 2 or 3 that aren't theirs.  I think there's a reason why I haven't bought any new golf balls in about 18 months.  What's also interesting are the number of ProV1s that have been hit once and lost that I find at my club.  I'd say 75% of all found balls at my club are ProV1, about 20% Callaway Chrome Soft, and the other 5% is the occasional Bridgestone or assorted other brands.  I imagine that the longer I play at my club I may never have to purchase a single Titleist ProV1 with as many as I find that are essentially brand new that are sitting by a tree in the woods.

By the way, this may seem like a stupid reason to do it, but I've been playing Srixon balls because very few other people play that brand.  And I actually have a reason for not playing Titleist.  One round recently I hit a tee shot into the rough, which at my club means that unless you step on the ball, or are right on top of it you will have a hard time finding it in our rough.  Well, that day I had decided to use some of the ProV1s that I had found in the woods, just to lighten that stack should I lose a few that day.  Well, while looking for my ProV1 in the rough I stumbled upon what I thought was my ball, and saw ProV1, so I commenced at hitting it, only to go get it down the fairway to discover that it was someone else's lost ProV1.

So because of the two stroke penalty for playing the wrong ball, I will (going forward) mark the ever loving crap out of all of my ProV1s so as not to mistake them for someone else's lost or one of my playing partners.  Nothing frustrates me more then playing the same ball as someone else, and them to just walk up to your ball, and assume it's yours because it's the same as yours and swing away.  So I started playing off brands to help avoid this situation, and those of others that come from playing the most popular ball in the world.

• Like 2

I used to, but now that [..I tell myself.. 😉 ..] I'm getting "better", and based on what I've read a lot in here, I'm trying to standardize on one ball - the new MaxFli CG Balanced Tour (they may still be 2 for $50 at Dick's). 

However... if I'm having one of those days on the course and find one of those still shiny Pro V1s while looking for my ball, I'll certainly play it!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GSwag said:

I'd say 75% of all found balls at my club are ProV1, about 20% Callaway Chrome Soft, and the other 5% is the occasional Bridgestone or assorted other brands.

Yes, my findings are very similar.

Yeah if it is a pro line ball I will play it in a heartbeat. Lots of times if it has some scuffs etc. I throw it in my shag bag. In tourist season I say thank God for tourists--- I go on my 9 hole walking rounds and find plenty of new Pro Line balls.

LOL one time we were playing behind 16 players in a wedding party. All of them had rental clubs--- The Pro Shop loved them buying 2 doz TM Pentas at the time putting on plastic. We must have found between our 4 some at least a dozen each no joke. Plus they had the caddy girls out there which was easy on the eyes. They did not pick up tees either. At the end of the round the motel shuttles were there to get them. The shuttles do not allow alcoholic beverages on them. Those guys had purchased quite a few of those soft sided coolers at the course. One guy had gave me his cooler with 5 beers in it. I guess my pick up was a common dumping ground because when I came back out from bet settling I had several more along with loose beer. One of the staff told us that a couple of the guys had ran up close to $600 on their cards between greens fees, club rental, booze and balls. I wondered on the way home how many of those guys got home sobered up and when their credit card statement showed up----- OO S**T  I SPENT HOW MUCH MONEY IN MYRTLE BEACH!!!!??????

• Haha 3

One time my buddy and I were playing a twilight round at a course, the back 9 starts with a 90* dogleg right, we both already had terrible scores so we tried to cut the corner for the heck of it and neither of us made it over the trees. 

As we walked over to try and find our balls, my buddy pointed one out. I thought it was WAY too close to the tee box to be mine... as we got closer we realized that there were balls EVERYWHERE. Someone must've driven through the trees to get to the green instead of following the fairway and all we could think was that their bag pockets were WIDE open. The cart bouncing around over the roots must've shaken everything loose. All Pro V1s, Bridgestone B330's, etc. I think we each grabbed half a dozen balls each, at least. 

We hadn't seen anyone in front of us the entire round so who knows how long those balls were on the ground. Whoever that was probably went to grab a ball later on in the round and scratched their head over how few balls were left in their bag... and yes, we most certainly played those found balls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, GSwag said:

I find more golf balls then I lose in general, although my latest idea was to take an old Crown Royal bottle pouch, and place all of the non-Srixon balls that I deemed worthy of putting into play, into that pouch, to keep in the ball pocket of my golf bag.  I'll continue to play my Srixons until I run out, and then I'll exhaust the found ball pouch before adding new balls to my bag.

What generally happens is that I play with guys who hit stray shots into the trees and rough, and while looking for their balls I'll find 2 or 3 that aren't theirs.  I think there's a reason why I haven't bought any new golf balls in about 18 months.  What's also interesting are the number of ProV1s that have been hit once and lost that I find at my club.  I'd say 75% of all found balls at my club are ProV1, about 20% Callaway Chrome Soft, and the other 5% is the occasional Bridgestone or assorted other brands.  I imagine that the longer I play at my club I may never have to purchase a single Titleist ProV1 with as many as I find that are essentially brand new that are sitting by a tree in the woods.

By the way, this may seem like a stupid reason to do it, but I've been playing Srixon balls because very few other people play that brand.  And I actually have a reason for not playing Titleist.  One round recently I hit a tee shot into the rough, which at my club means that unless you step on the ball, or are right on top of it you will have a hard time finding it in our rough.  Well, that day I had decided to use some of the ProV1s that I had found in the woods, just to lighten that stack should I lose a few that day.  Well, while looking for my ProV1 in the rough I stumbled upon what I thought was my ball, and saw ProV1, so I commenced at hitting it, only to go get it down the fairway to discover that it was someone else's lost ProV1.

So because of the two stroke penalty for playing the wrong ball, I will (going forward) mark the ever loving crap out of all of my ProV1s so as not to mistake them for someone else's lost or one of my playing partners.  Nothing frustrates me more then playing the same ball as someone else, and them to just walk up to your ball, and assume it's yours because it's the same as yours and swing away.  So I started playing off brands to help avoid this situation, and those of others that come from playing the most popular ball in the world.

Our rough isn't very deep, but it's sure gnarly; hard to hit out of.  Now that fall is here, it's difficult to find balls in the leaves.  For some reason I can see the yellow Srixon Z-Star better than a white ball.  I have also found that very few players at my course play yellow balls.  Several times a year when playing a white ball, I have had to chase down players from the adjacent fairway that came into my fairway and hit my ball without checking to see if it was theirs.  I don't have that problem with the yellow Srixon.  

• Like 3

What's a guy to do?  During my round this past Sunday, I picked up 29 balls... yes, no typo, 29 balls.  I was playing solo, the course was near empty, they had just turned off the irrigation ditches, and drained the pond guarding #5 par 3. At one of the ditch fairway crossings/culvert, balls collected into a small area obscured by the water and grass - like shooting fish in a barrel - they were calling out to me.

This was the tally of those I kept (left at least half this many behind).  This being a 9 hole course, I had two bites at the apple.

(8) Pro V1, (4) Pro V1x, (2) NXT Tour, (1) AVX, (1) TourSoft, (5) Chromesoft, (1) Chromesoft-X, (2) E6, (1) ZStar, (1) Vice ProPlus, (1) Honma TW-G1,  (1) TM Project(a), (1) Noodle Long & Soft

The haul says something about ball choice statistics. It's clear that even an area that is rural and largely made up of farmers have a preference for top name/high end golf balls 🙂.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

What's a guy to do?  During my round this past Sunday, I picked up 29 balls... yes, no typo, 29 balls.  I was playing solo, the course was near empty, they had just turned off the irrigation ditches, and drained the pond guarding #5 par 3. At one of the ditch fairway crossings/culvert, balls collected into a small area obscured by the water and grass - like shooting fish in a barrel - they were calling out to me.

This was the tally of those I kept (left at least half this many behind).  This being a 9 hole course, I had two bites at the apple.

(8) Pro V1, (4) Pro V1x, (2) NXT Tour, (1) AVX, (1) TourSoft, (5) Chromesoft, (1) Chromesoft-X, (2) E6, (1) ZStar, (1) Vice ProPlus, (1) Honma TW-G1,  (1) TM Project(a), (1) Noodle Long & Soft

The haul says something about ball choice statistics. It's clear that even an area that is rural and largely made up of farmers have a preference for top name/high end golf balls 🙂.  

Nice haul... and not one Snell.  Must be used by better players!!

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Nice haul... and not one Snell.  Must be used by better players!!

Keep in mind where I live.  The Pony Express only comes through on Thursdays... takes time for new stuff to get traction 😆.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Keep in mind where I live.  The Pony Express only comes through on Thursdays... takes time for new stuff to get traction 😆.

I thought you'd be in AZ by now.

3 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I thought you'd be in AZ by now.

Pretty soon, maybe very soon with this now being the second snowmageddon event in 10 days 😯.  But, I can't pull the chocks until my Maxfli's arrive... which are reported to be in route 👍.

• Like 1

The haul says something about ball choice statistics. It's clear that even an area that is rural and largely made up of farmers have a preference for top name/high end golf balls .  

Save the Noodle for the hard rock challenge! I can give you my shipping address for the ProV1 & 1X's as long as they look like new . You can keep everything else

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Haha 1