Middler

How Many Balls Do You Lose per 18 Hole Round?

How many balls do you lose?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How many balls do you lose per 18 hole round on average?

• 0-1
    • 2-3
    • 4-5
    • 6 or more

I play with some guys in league who often play 18 without losing a single ball. I wish I was one of them.

I almost always play new balls. I probably lose on average 2 per round. I’ve lost 5 balls in 18 holes twice this year, and I lost 2 on one par 5 once this year - I feel a little stupid those days. Last two rounds I lost 1 and 2, not bad for me. I’ll admit it - if I did play 18 without losing a single ball, I don’t remember when it was. My only defense, I hit the ball 50-75 yards further than most (not all) of the people I play with in league - it is harder to lose a ball if it (only) goes 175-200 yards. Some even shorter.

Edited by Middler

If my swing is below average for the day, I probably average between 1-2 balls a round lost. If my swing is average or better that number is less than one. To be fair though my miss is right and all the ob on my home course is left with the exception of 1 hole. So that helps quite a bit! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

It really depends on the course.  In WA, most of the courses are lined with heavy douglas fir, cedars, and manzanita, etc.  Balls get lost in that stuff pretty easy.  On the flip side, venturing in to find your ball often results in you coming out of the woods with a handful... some better than the one you lost 👍.  I would say on average 1 ball/round. 

I rarely loose a ball - I buy four dozen per season and take way more of them out of play than loose them - last year I gave a full dozen of the ones that I bought away at Christmas as a gift, then gave away a sleeve to another Pastor whose name is Kevin and still have close to a dozen in my bag. 

I have over 2 dozen of this year's balls either unopened or in my bag as well.

• Like 2

Like Rev... I don't lose many balls either. I'll occasionally rinse one or just lose it in the rough off the fairway. (deep bermuda) Those are the most aggravating. Not necessarily a bad shot; but bermuda can swallow a ball. 😡

• Like 4

Generally don’t lose many balls; I’d say average one per every 3 rounds. But I will have bad days where I will lose 2-3 in a single round.

• Like 4

I guess I should’ve qualified the poll somehow. I’ve played on some muni courses with almost no rough where it would be hard to lose a ball. My current regular course has a lot of thick rough from a foot to waist high. Between copperheads and other snakes and poison ivy, we rarely even look in that kind of rough.

And of course water hazards are another substantial variable.

Edited by Middler

I’d say I’m in the 0-2 category. It all boils down to my day with the driver. If I’m having a good day, I’ll lose none, but if I’m slightly off the can add up. 

Usually 1 at the most, but last round it was 4 two WAY OB and a few swimmers.

Maybe 8-9 for the YTD.

I'd say one every other round on average. But a few rounds ago, I lost 4. That was un-fun.

• Like 1

I would say 0-1 per round on average.

I very rarely lose a ball in the rough; maybe now that the leaves are falling.  There is no OB that I have ever come close to reaching, so none there.  We have 6 holes where water can come into play; 2 on the front nine and 4 on the back nine.  However, the 4 holes on the back nine will require a really bad shot to the right to reach.  I've seen it done several times a year, but I've only done it a few times in 4 years.  Bunkers are placed between grass and water which helps.

That leaves the 2 holes on the front; water left and in front of the green on the par 4 #3 and water right and partially in front of the green on the par 5 #9.  On hole #3 I rarely go left, but I can pull a driver occasionally, and going into the water on the approach shot only happens with a mishit.  Hey!  It happens!!  Depending on the wind and the quality of my drive, my approach shot will be anything from a hybrid to a 9i.  On hole  #9 my approach is again anything from a hybrid to a wedge for my 3rd... or 4th shot! 😳  

These 2 holes are where I can lose a ball, but I don't lose many.  I can play 3 or 4 rounds without losing a ball, but I have also lost 3 balls in one round; not often, but it has happened.  Yes, that means I have put 2 balls into the same pond on one hole, and Yes, I've done it on hole #3 AND hole #9.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Average,  half a ball, no option for that in the poll

Seems 0-1 might apply?

• Like 1

I might lose none or I might lose a couple like @cnosil.

Seriously, it depends on what course and how I'm swinging that day. My home course has trouble all over..... right and left. I can play an entire round with the same ball or I can lose 2-3 in a round. Needles to say, on a day where I lose balls, it isn't a good scoring day...lol.

One of the advantages of being a short hitter is that you don't lose a lot of balls. I play three times a week (18 holes) and I may lose a ball or two during a month. I play the same course almost every time so I know where not to hit my shots. 

Lost 1 today after a full nuked 5 iron over the green ... into the cow pasture loaded with cow patties. Lol. You can keep that one!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

0-1. I played a full 18-hole tourney with the same ball yesterday. I'm playing better course management this year than any before. Which is helping me keep more balls in play.