Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Driver testing on Tour

Fake Carl Spackler

This topic kind of went away after The Open, but I just saw an article from Reuters stating that there were multiple drivers that failed testing at the Safeway Open now that the Tour is testing 30 randomly selected drivers at tournaments.  Supposedly the drivers were sent back to the manufacturers for testing, but I doubt any more info will be made public.  I know the guys discussed this on No Putts Given a while ago after the R&A testing publicity, but in light of this news I'm curious to hear thoughts about what the Tour is doing now.  Should the Tour continue to keep testing/results quiet, or should it be a more transparent process?  If at least 5 drivers were found to be non-conforming out of just the 30 tested, should the whole field be tested, or is that just too logistically challenging?  

I do think player names should be kept confidential, their reputations shouldn't suffer because they were handed a club they would have no way of knowing was illegal.  The manufacturers need to be held accountable, and perhaps publicity on failed clubs could help that.  

Reuters seems to be the only one to have this info, nothing I can find from the PGA Tour or USGA and all other news outlets link back to Reuters as a source.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-golf-drivers/multiple-players-drivers-deemed-non-conforming-on-pga-tour-idUSKBN1WE0T1

In my :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titelist-small: TSi2 driver 10° w/ Tensei AV Raw White 75

:titelist-small: 917F2 3 wood 15° w/ Diamana Blue 70

:titelist-small: H16 hybrid 19° w/ Diamana Blue 70

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB irons w/ KBS $-Taper 120

:vokey-small: wedges, 56° SM6, 52° SM6, and 47° SM7 - soon to be fitted for new ones

:EVNROLL: ER2 putter

:titelist-small: Pro V1x #42

I’d be interested to know how these drivers are failing. Manufacturers are pushing the limits so close to USGA guidelines that it isn’t surprising to see some miss the mark. 

It would also be interesting to see if it is more consistently one brand than another. How would they be held accountable?

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

It’s possible the way the testing is done is different by the oems than the tour which was the case with Schauffele. Whether that’s an issue or not I’m not sure but something for the two sides to figure out. Also with the Schauffele situation drivers that are within the limit over time can become hotter the more they get hit. As for making it mandatory for all that’s not possible because of time and takes away from the secret of what/who failed. Also keeping it random keeps the oems on their toes.

yes the tour should keep the results quiet because 1) that’s what’s agreed to by both sides 2) the driver is taken out of play 3) it could be a brand new driver someone put in play that week and if so the announcement would unfairly put perception the player was using an illegal driver in previous tournaments. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Interesting to see that the testing methods are different on tour than at the manufacturer (per report). I am curious what the source of error is. It would seem unlikely that all instruments get the exact same results with the same driver when talking about such small differences between conforming and non-conforming. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

15 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

Interesting to see that the testing methods are different on tour than at the manufacturer (per report). I am curious what the source of error is. It would seem unlikely that all instruments get the exact same results with the same driver when talking about such small differences between conforming and non-conforming. 

Iirc it’s the machine used. But even if they used the same machine and a manufacturer doesn’t do regular testing on the heads their pros have in play a driver could have tested good 6 months ago and now be out of spec.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I have my doubts about the testing, it’s never conducted in the same environment week in and week out. At the British open they were doing it in a tent and it’s not the same machine each week. Last year I heard about a driver failing and then TM tested it and it was good and the TM rep took it back to the next event and it passed. Even if a driver was a smig hot how much advantage would that even give a player. Extra 3 yards? 

1 hour ago, Sdtdnd said:

I have my doubts about the testing, it’s never conducted in the same environment week in and week out. At the British open they were doing it in a tent and it’s not the same machine each week. Last year I heard about a driver failing and then TM tested it and it was good and the TM rep took it back to the next event and it passed. Even if a driver was a smig hot how much advantage would that even give a player. Extra 3 yards? 

They are measuring how long a ball stays on the face...environment isn’t going to impact that.

the advantage is extremely low. 1 ct point is about 1’ of distance. That’s not the point. The ruling bodies have a limit and those are the rules. 

• 2 months later...

As the dust settles, a global CT machine calibration fiasco. Now fixed. Supposedly.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges! Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls