TESTERS WANTED! ×

NCAA v CA

https://es.pn/2mXlB1M

This just hit news stands! CA has made it illegal to prevent student athletes from cashing in on endorsements. Though golf already has more lax rules when it comes to endorsements for juniors, how does this impact the game?

I personally think this is great. How much did OSU make off the golf channel special a couple years ago? Or airing NCAA championships? And that’s just for golf...

If you’re using the kids name to profit, they deserve a piece of the pie. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

I agree....good for the State of California for doing something about the antiquated NCAA rules.  It was just a matter of time and I think the next thing will be the Power 5 conferences leaving the NCAA altogether.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

It's a farce. The state of CA has no say in how or what the NCAA does. The NCAA is just going to declare the players ineligible. It is going to hurt recruiting big time. 

I don't agree with the NCAA but this law is going to hurt more than it is going to help. 

Only positive that can come from it is long term and maybe it is a step in the right direction in getting the NCAA to actually change their policies. However there is so much that goes into that, it is not an quick change. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

CA is a huge market and combined with pressure from sponsors and legislators and pro organizations I think the ncaa amends its policy prior to 2023. You don’t make UCLA, the school with more championships than anyone, ineligible for the ncaa. Nevermind four pac 12 schools. That’s bad for business. 

CA absolutely has a say in what is legal and illegal inside its borders. They can not dictate what the entire ncaa does, but they absolutely can make it illegal to prevent athletes access to sponsorship. 

I think the ncaa will posture for a bit but eventually cave to adopting Olympic policies on sponsorship. The top athletes don’t need the ncaa, the ncaa needs them. Now the athletes are empowered to force change.

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

3 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

CA is a huge market and combined with pressure from sponsors and legislators and pro organizations I think the ncaa amends its policy prior to 2023. You don’t make UCLA, the school with more championships than anyone, ineligible for the ncaa. Nevermind four pac 12 schools. That’s bad for business. 

CA absolutely has a say in what is legal and illegal inside its borders. They can not dictate what the entire ncaa does, but they absolutely can make it illegal to prevent athletes access to sponsorship. 

I think the ncaa will posture for a bit but eventually cave to adopting Olympic policies on sponsorship. The top athletes don’t need the ncaa, the ncaa needs them. Now the athletes are empowered to force change.

CA can determine what is legal and what is illegal. But they have no say when it comes to what the NCAA does. CA makes it illegal and the NCAA keeps their policy the same and the only people that are hurt are the students. If I have learned anything from the NCAA over the years it is that they are going to do what they want no matter what. 

The Olympics are the best of the best athletes, they are marketed leading up to and during the Olympics. They are also professional athletes, not Amateurs, although some amateurs do compete. 

Zion Williamson was arguably the most marketed athlete in the NCAA over the last year. He benefits from the NCAA changing it's policy. The 7th man on his team does not. It won't affect him, he won't benefit from being able to make money on his likeness when nobody knows who he is.  

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

Weed is legal in most states yet it is illegal to use in the NCAA. This could be down the similar path. This is just CA needing additional tax revenue since they can't balance their budget. Maybe the governor should fix the property tax laws to boost tax revenue instead of taxing college athletes. And don't you think they should deal with the homeless issue in that state first... Or maybe the fact that typhoid is alive and well in San Francisco. But by all means, focus on about 10k people in that state.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty
8 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

CA can determine what is legal and what is illegal. But they have no say when it comes to what the NCAA does. CA makes it illegal and the NCAA keeps their policy the same and the only people that are hurt are the students. If I have learned anything from the NCAA over the years it is that they are going to do what they want no matter what. 

The Olympics are the best of the best athletes, they are marketed leading up to and during the Olympics. They are also professional athletes, not Amateurs, although some amateurs do compete. 

Zion Williamson was arguably the most marketed athlete in the NCAA over the last year. He benefits from the NCAA changing it's policy. The 7th man on his team does not. It won't affect him, he won't benefit from being able to make money on his likeness when nobody knows who he is.  

So you think the NCAA excludes four pac 12 schools, and over 68 universities from competition? I don’t think they’re that dumb. The NCAA policy will change. 

I don’t think a lot of players benefit big bucks from this, but for some every little bit helps. Maybe some kids opt to stay in school longer as opposed to being a sixth round pick. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

1 hour ago, jddaigneault said:

So you think the NCAA excludes four pac 12 schools, and over 68 universities from competition? I don’t think they’re that dumb. The NCAA policy will change. 

I don’t think a lot of players benefit big bucks from this, but for some every little bit helps. Maybe some kids opt to stay in school longer as opposed to being a sixth round pick. 

Yes I do because if they don’t the ncaa no longer exists and we have professional college and no need for them. 

I think it's important to note, New York, North Carolina and South Carolina all have similar legislation before state Congress right now.  This isn't going to be the NCAA vs California much longer.

In my opinion, the NCAA (especially for football and basketball) will consist of the smaller programs largely from the "Group of 5" conferences very soon.  The "Power 5" schools will form an alliance to compete outside NCAA purview and act as a sort of "minor leagues" of professional sports. 

The NCAA will still exist but in a very different way than we have come to know.  

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I think it's important to note, New York, North Carolina and South Carolina all have similar legislation before state Congress right now.  This isn't going to be the NCAA vs California much longer.

In my opinion, the NCAA (especially for football and basketball) will consist of the smaller programs largely from the "Group of 5" conferences very soon.  The "Power 5" schools will form an alliance to compete outside NCAA purview and act as a sort of "minor leagues" of professional sports. 

The NCAA will still exist but in a very different way than we have come to know.  

The CA bill will take 4 years to go into effect. While they passed the law, I don't see the NCAA sitting idle for the next 4 years, nor will they in the other states. I still think we're 5-8 years away from any of this going through, but yes, I expect to see some schools either defecting or 'schools' popping up which have little to do with education and more of preparing athletes for the pro leagues (i.e. IMG Academy for high school athletes). If the NCAA wants to allow athletes to profit off their likeness, then setup a fund for that money to go in and after 3 years in school, they can collect it with interest. 

If the NFL would pitch in to fund/help with these athletic-only schools, then I think you could keep these minor league schools away from the amateur schools of the NCAA. Develop 16 of these athletic-centered schools and these 'students' could get paid, sign agent contracts, etc and keep the NCAA the way it is. Sure, you will probably dilute the talent pool a bit but there are athletes out there that do in fact want an education. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty
35 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

The CA bill will take 4 years to go into effect. While they passed the law, I don't see the NCAA sitting idle for the next 4 years, nor will they in the other states. I still think we're 5-8 years away from any of this going through, but yes, I expect to see some schools either defecting or 'schools' popping up which have little to do with education and more of preparing athletes for the pro leagues (i.e. IMG Academy for high school athletes). If the NCAA wants to allow athletes to profit off their likeness, then setup a fund for that money to go in and after 3 years in school, they can collect it with interest. 

If the NFL would pitch in to fund/help with these athletic-only schools, then I think you could keep these minor league schools away from the amateur schools of the NCAA. Develop 16 of these athletic-centered schools and these 'students' could get paid, sign agent contracts, etc and keep the NCAA the way it is. Sure, you will probably dilute the talent pool a bit but there are athletes out there that do in fact want an education. 

That's essentially what I was saying.  Albeit, briefly and in a sort-of disjointed way.  This will take time to play out and will likely have an impact on the NCAA as we know it.

I also think people are confusing the intent and purpose behind this California law.  It's essentially a compromise to allow players to benefit from their name and likeness for purposes of endorsements, video games, etc.  Schools are still forbidden from subsidizing that potential income for the "student" athlete.  It's the only rational way to get around Title IX.  It might also eliminate the "money men" on college campuses.  What's $100k from a booster when Nike is paying the star QB a cool million?

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

That's my hope and, should it go this route, whose games I'll still watch.  We're just witnessing another venue get ruined by the elixir of money.  Next up are high school players 🙄.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, txgolfjunkie said:

Good ideas!  

I would also like to add, there are many more layers to this than what has been mentioned here and likely more layers to come that aren't yet known. 

Such as, the NCAA would allow Lucy Li to endorse Apple products in television commercials that would, almost certainly, lead to suspension of her amateur status by the USGA.  Similar circumstances are possible for some Olympic sports.  This isn't going to affect just high-end basketball and football players. 

The occasional non-football/non-basketball "Tiger Woods" is going to come along and put other organizations in precarious situations.  Had Tiger been able to seek endorsements while still at Stanford, he would have certainly garnered a lot of attention. 

This decision is going to be far wider-reaching than just the NCAA in the very near future.

14 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

How does allowing kids to profit from their own likeness end the NCAA?

Because it is not just their likeness. It is not just video games and jersey sales. Players will be allowed to sign with an agent, who is then going to pursue the most money they can get for their client. Take the NCAA basketball tournament for example. 10 year tv deal for 10 or 12 billion dollars (I don't know exact numbers). How long before the conferences or schools decide that they don't want that money to funnel through the NCAA and want it directly to them? Just like @sixcat pointed out below. So now the NCAA is a minor player. 

7 hours ago, sixcat said:

5 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

Some good ideas here but the NFL is not going to give any of their money away. They have a minor league right now as it is they don't need to change anything.  And where does it stop? What is to stop private high schools from going this way? What is to stop the schools from offering scholarships to players because now they get paid? 

As I said in my first post, I don't agree with the NCAA however what is missing from this law is what happens to all the students that are not able to make any money? It is a law that is written that is going to benefit less than 5% of the athletes but change the entire landscape for the remaining 95%

I’m fairly certain the 95% whose likeness is not currently used for profit are still getting scholarships. Those are definitely valuable!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

There goes college sports. IMG_0764.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I would venture to guess that there are hundreds of side effects that people haven't thought of that will come into play once the NCAA's hand has been forced, and athletes start getting compensation for whatever.  Several things pop in my head inititally - disparity between the Alabamas and Clemsons, and the lower tier schools, even in power 5 conferences that can't compete with the recruiting that those schools currently have going on.  You'll have to create an entirely new business model for college football and basketball, and separate it from all other NCAA sports that lose tons of money.  Once you start paying football and basketball players, schools will be forced to kill other sports such as lacrosse, softball, tennis, golf, etc, due to lack of funds.

I'd also imagine that academics will become irrelevant to football and basketball, as now you have paid players who, because of now being compensated for their sport, will have raised expectations to perform on the field, therefore forcing them to double the amount of time spent working out, practicing and preparing for games.

TV contracts and current conference alignments will split, and current conferences will split off into sub conferences, and perhaps even separate leagues, akin to what we have with professional leagues.  Currently the NFL has two 16 team conferences.  What's stopping the SEC and ACC (for example) from splitting off from the rest of the NCAA, and competing solely against each other, in order to provide legitimate competition week in and week out.  Remember, a school's revenue is now decreased in the ability to pay "Georgia State" $950,000 to travel to Tennessee and beat Tennessee.  So to eliminate that added expense, the top conferences will form their own leagues, and compete on a level playing field, solely amongst schools agreeing to the same level of competition.

These are just some of the side effects of what I think is coming that the Gavin Newsomes of the world haven't thought about.  But once you open Pandora's Box, this system that we know will never return to what it was.  Do I agree with what California is doing?  Yes.  But I think forcing the NCAA's hand is about 30 years overdue, and ultimately again, I think if you get 30 or so schools in a room from the largest and most popular sports programs in college football, you'll be dividing that pie among a lot fewer schools, as they weed out the schools that don't invest heavily in their players and programs, like Alabama and Clemson, and about 20 other schools currently do.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS
4 hours ago, GSwag said:

I would venture to guess that there are hundreds of side effects that people haven't thought of that will come into play once the NCAA's hand has been forced, and athletes start getting compensation for whatever.  Several things pop in my head inititally - disparity between the Alabamas and Clemsons, and the lower tier schools, even in power 5 conferences that can't compete with the recruiting that those schools currently have going on.  You'll have to create an entirely new business model for college football and basketball, and separate it from all other NCAA sports that lose tons of money.  Once you start paying football and basketball players, schools will be forced to kill other sports such as lacrosse, softball, tennis, golf, etc, due to lack of funds.

I'd also imagine that academics will become irrelevant to football and basketball, as now you have paid players who, because of now being compensated for their sport, will have raised expectations to perform on the field, therefore forcing them to double the amount of time spent working out, practicing and preparing for games.

TV contracts and current conference alignments will split, and current conferences will split off into sub conferences, and perhaps even separate leagues, akin to what we have with professional leagues.  Currently the NFL has two 16 team conferences.  What's stopping the SEC and ACC (for example) from splitting off from the rest of the NCAA, and competing solely against each other, in order to provide legitimate competition week in and week out.  Remember, a school's revenue is now decreased in the ability to pay "Georgia State" $950,000 to travel to Tennessee and beat Tennessee.  So to eliminate that added expense, the top conferences will form their own leagues, and compete on a level playing field, solely amongst schools agreeing to the same level of competition.

These are just some of the side effects of what I think is coming that the Gavin Newsomes of the world haven't thought about.  But once you open Pandora's Box, this system that we know will never return to what it was.  Do I agree with what California is doing?  Yes.  But I think forcing the NCAA's hand is about 30 years overdue, and ultimately again, I think if you get 30 or so schools in a room from the largest and most popular sports programs in college football, you'll be dividing that pie among a lot fewer schools, as they weed out the schools that don't invest heavily in their players and programs, like Alabama and Clemson, and about 20 other schools currently do.

Good points and most of these will become issues that will negatively change the face of collegiate sports.  Honestly, I doubt Gavin cares about the "unintended consequences". That's the great thing about lawmaker jobs; first that it rarely affects them directly and second that, more often than not, it will be someone's else's pile of poop to deal with 🙄.  

Oh and btw, nice to see you back.  I haven't seen many posts from you as when I first joined the forum.

As a former employee of LSU’s Athletic Department, and having earned my Master’s in Athletic Administration from LSU, I can tell you all that colleges won’t be able to pay all of the athletes.
Here’s why: 90% of college athletic departments don’t earn enough in sales of gear to even pay the total costs to field teams. Alabama? Sure, millions from football. LSU, sure. But University of Louisiana Monroe? Nope. They run a deficit of well over $100,000 a year, and they have one of the smallest budgets in Division 1.
Where do non-revenue sports like tennis, golf, soccer, softball, track, etc get their money? At universities like Alabama, from football gate receipts, or parking, or concessions. But where does the University of Wyoming get theirs???? University “fees”, donations, etc. Or, they simply run deficits year after year.
In 1996, when LSU was dominating college baseball, how many baseball teams raised enough money from tickets, parking, and concessions to pay IN FULL for their baseball program??? Four.
LSU, UCLA, Stanford, and Mississippi State. That’s it. FOUR.
Folks, it all sounds great, but please understand that the overwhelming majority of schools can’t even fully fund the sports they have, let alone pay a player. Add-in Title IX, and it’s going to be a cluster.
I played in college. I had my schooling paid for. Was it stupid I couldn’t also work? Yes. At today’s out-of-State rates of $40,000 a year at LSU, I think playing a sport and getting $160,000 of debt-free education IS getting paid. Yep, baseball, tennis, golf, etc don’t all get “full scholarships”, they split them, but just let kids work, and get a ride to the airport from their coach. All of these rules are dumb, because kids in band, on scholarship, can work and make money to live on. The poor kids get monthly stipends of up to $600 in addition to their scholarships.
I’m sorry, paying the kids just isn’t going to work, and it may end-up closing down a lot of sports on university campuses.
I get the University makes money off of #23’s jersey, but they also need that to pay for #11 on the women’s soccer team to have a jersey, cleats, a scholarship, and food!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Fine, if they are going to allow players to receive payments then they should 1099 them for the cost of the education. I think all scholarships should be 1099’d then, you get an exemption bas3d upon your scholastic performance.....ie: A..100% exemption, B..90%, etc.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the California law doesn't allow for colleges to pay players.  Schools are still forbidden to do so, even though we all know the star QB isn't driving an Escalade his parents paid for.  Players can seek endorsements in a free market, capitalist enterprise.  Money earned would be based on demand.  Schools are still forbidden to subsidize any potential income. 

It's the only rational way around Title IX.

11 hours ago, PMookie said:

I think playing a sport and getting $160,000 of debt-free education IS getting paid.

Great point 👍

11 hours ago, PMookie said:

I get the University makes money off of #23’s jersey, but they also need that to pay for #11 on the women’s soccer team to have a jersey, cleats, a scholarship, and food!

But Gavin sees this as an injustice to #23... which is really odd when you think about it.

12 hours ago, PMookie said:

As a former employee of LSU’s Athletic Department, and having earned my Master’s in Athletic Administration from LSU, I can tell you all that colleges won’t be able to pay all of the athletes.
Here’s why: 90% of college athletic departments don’t earn enough in sales of gear to even pay the total costs to field teams. Alabama? Sure, millions from football. LSU, sure. But University of Louisiana Monroe? Nope. They run a deficit of well over $100,000 a year, and they have one of the smallest budgets in Division 1.
Where do non-revenue sports like tennis, golf, soccer, softball, track, etc get their money? At universities like Alabama, from football gate receipts, or parking, or concessions. But where does the University of Wyoming get theirs???? University “fees”, donations, etc. Or, they simply run deficits year after year.
In 1996, when LSU was dominating college baseball, how many baseball teams raised enough money from tickets, parking, and concessions to pay IN FULL for their baseball program??? Four.
LSU, UCLA, Stanford, and Mississippi State. That’s it. FOUR.
Folks, it all sounds great, but please understand that the overwhelming majority of schools can’t even fully fund the sports they have, let alone pay a player. Add-in Title IX, and it’s going to be a cluster.
I played in college. I had my schooling paid for. Was it stupid I couldn’t also work? Yes. At today’s out-of-State rates of $40,000 a year at LSU, I think playing a sport and getting $160,000 of debt-free education IS getting paid. Yep, baseball, tennis, golf, etc don’t all get “full scholarships”, they split them, but just let kids work, and get a ride to the airport from their coach. All of these rules are dumb, because kids in band, on scholarship, can work and make money to live on. The poor kids get monthly stipends of up to $600 in addition to their scholarships.
I’m sorry, paying the kids just isn’t going to work, and it may end-up closing down a lot of sports on university campuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think you make some very valid arguments in everything you've said, and I agree with you that most colleges lose money on athletics, outside of a few premium schools in football and basketball.

What you didn't say is what I would argue - to let the free market dictate who does what, and who goes where.  If certain schools want to pay certain athletes to play for them, let them.  But I think most everyone would agree (and I think you did in your post above) that the NCAA rules are a circus right now, with schools forced to hire one or more "compliance officers" so that the school doesn't run afoul of the NCAA rules, which honestly, who here knows even half of them?

And if California has to stir the pot, to shake up the NCAA to effect positive change, then so be it.  Sure, there will be negative consequences to paying players, but I would argue that it would be better then the current system we have where, if you dig deep enough, even your beloved LSU is paying their football players under the table, in ways that circumvent the NCAA.  Alabama and Clemson are certainly doing the same things.

You could almost make an argument that it's the same thing as the legality of marijuana.  Everyone would agree (I would think) that people are going to smoke weed.  You can make it illegal or legal, but people will still smoke it.  It finally took Colorado and a few other states to wake up and realize that my above premise was true, so they figured, we might as well make some tax revenue off of this.  It's the same reason why prohibition didn't work some 100 years ago.

The difference in the situation between marijuana and paying college athletes is that you have to follow the money.  If anyone thinks the NCAA is going to go down without a massive fight and multiple lawsuits and lobbyists, I've got some beachfront property in Nevada to sell you.  But ultimately I think the system that is currently corrupt and broken will be changed in favor of paying players.  And as I previously posted, I think you see a drastic change in how both football and basketball (and maybe baseball) are structured, as far as conferences and competition, etc.  The haves will get richer, while the have nots will either fold, or develop their own system and structure to make their games more competitive on their own level.  Because, let's face it, there are only so many marquee players around that a school could justify paying to play for them.  The rest will remain as they are, with less stringent rules on work and outside of school activities, etc.

But ultimately, I am always in favor of letting the free market dictate who does what.

3 minutes ago, silver & black said:

Why is the idea that schools will pay athletes even in the discussion? They won't and they aren't allowed to. Athletes will be allowed to sign endorsement deals and get paid from outside interests, the way I understand it. Why is that a problem?

It's always been about control, specifically of the revenue.  The NCAA currently (thinks it) has total control over all incoming revenue.  But as we discovered with the NCAA basketball scandal, you can't control outside entities from tweaking the system to their advantage, under the table.  But as I see it, with all of these under the table revenue sources, it does not allow for there to be a level playing field amongst schools and even within conferences.  Heck, if you open up the floodgates to athletes being allowed to generate their own revenue on the free market, then the playing field will only become more and more stacked for the haves, and against the have nots.

Which leads us to looking at professional sports leagues and how they handle things like this.  One thing I just thought of, is that the reason why most professional sports leagues remain popular and competitive, is that all league teams agree to maintain somewhat of a balance between clubs on revenue and labor costs.  If colleges are all of a sudden allowed to pay athletes, or athletes are allowed to seek outside dollars for their likeness, or whatever, you are going to see a tiny pool of schools succeed under this situation, and 75-80% of schools will never have a chance at winning or even being close to competitive, at least compared to the largest and most successful schools.  So while you allow the free market to take it's course, I think you have to figure out a way to maintain something of a competitive balance between schools, at least on some level.  That's why I said earlier that I think you'll see several power 5 conferences merge together to form their own league of 20 or 30 schools, to compete only within their own league, outside of NCAA restrictions.  We won't have Division 1 anymore, because there simply won't be enough money to go around to smaller schools.

I would also factor in things like school endowments that create havoc even with the way things are currently structured.  I mean, how many schools could do what Texas A&M did with Jimbo Fisher?  It's insane what TAMU is paying a mediocre coach to coach their football team.  But that virtually eliminates 99% of the other schools in the country from even being able to consider going after coaches like Fisher, Saban, or Sweeney.  And as the system is currently structured, coaches have all the authority and power in most college team sports.  Players are but mere pawns, to be used however the coach sees fit during their time at the school.

It's complicated to say the least.

So what becomes the diffference between professional and amatuer athletes?  If Clemson's #16 or Georgia's #7 can broker $1M "likeness" endorsement contracts, how are they any different than professional players?  How about any money they earn (that they wouldn't otherwise get if not part of the team) is offset dollar for dollar in scholarship money? This could be used for other athletes. Pandora's Box indeed.

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

So what becomes the diffference between professional and amatuer athletes?  If Clemson's #16 or Georgia's #7 can broker $1M "likeness" endorsement contracts, how are they any different than professional players?  

They wouldn't be amateurs the way you defined it above.  I think I read somewhere where someone suggested that college would become the minor leagues of the professional leagues.

But again, even taking this down to NCAA golf, how many of those college golfers sporting brand new PXG clubs throughout their bags could afford them if they had to pay for them out of pocket?  Yeah, so we already have certain athletes in certain sports getting "free gear", etc to play their sport in college.  But where this is headed is that instead of that player just getting "free gear" he or she will be able to sign an endorsement contract with PXG and get paid to play those clubs.  And how much is a college golfer worth to the PXG's of the world?  That's the issue front and center being debated now.