Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

BEST LEAGUE/EVENT GIVEAWAY

I’m wondering what is everyone’s favourite thing they’ve gotten as a first tee gift, event prize, league prize, or other giveaway!

The course I am working at is doing engraved bottles of vodka for the Men’s League winning team and I though this was pretty cool. Bonus points if you’ve got pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Our league was individual play.  The finals are this week, the winner will get a $300 pro shop gift card,  the runner up will get $100.

Best tee gift, I ever got was a set of Callaway Irons...of course that was at the Farmers Insurance Pro Am 😁

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Everything else I have won or have been given just for attending tends to end up in the garbage 

I hear ya. I don't play any expensive entry fee tournaments anymore. And even when I did it seemed the tournaments were spending too much on give-a-way crap instead of putting it toward the payout. If I need a pair of shoes I'll go buy some. Ya know?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

2 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I hear ya. I don't play any expensive entry fee tournaments anymore. And even when I did it seemed the tournaments were spending too much on give-a-way crap instead of putting it toward the payout. If I need a pair of shoes I'll go buy some. Ya know?

@PlaidJacket spot on. We had a Pro/Am event at our club this past Friday. Four man teams and $250./individual. Note: we have an annual membership (unlimited play) as did most of the participants. For the Fee you got a pair of shoes, lunch, drinks and "potential" prizes. I thought the fees were outrageous. I can buy a new pair of last years FJ's, have a great lunch, drinks and still be almost $100. ahead. . Sounds like an old guy complaining? Naw, I just like to get value for dollar spent.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

27 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Sounds like an old guy complaining?

Not at all Tony. However, the old days have passed as these days tournaments are as much about the "party" as the tournament. And it costs (entry fees) a lot to throw a party. Complete with party favors - food, booze, musical entertainment, etc. That's for the youngsters IMO and I think they like all that stuff. I've passed the torch. It's not my generations tournament (or time) anymore. It's theirs. So, now I play the Sr. Flight in the club championship. Pay my $50 entry fee and go home afterwards with perhaps a medal if I'm lucky. I like it. 🏌️‍♂️

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I only play in charity tournaments that I am willing to support and I don't care what the fee is.  I don't care about the awards/prizes because I am never close enough to the winning score to win anything.  The tournament prizes I dislike are putters, likely given to the person that made the longest putt, and drivers, likely given to the person with the longest drive.  Give me a break!!  They don't need it!

One of the best prizes I won was 15 years ago at a tournament at Indian Wells, CA that was sponsored by my professional institute...  set of four glasses engraved with the name and year of the tournament. Thanks for reminding me of it... I'll celebrate with a glass of bourbon.

IMG_1179.thumb.jpg.ca38e3a0d2bbfb35b2c1f9517594e155.jpg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Most of the tournaments I play in are charity events, usually sponsored by the Oil Heat Service Managers, the PHCC or other industry group, although I have played in straight charity outings, such as for the Boys and Girls Clubs, etc. The industry events are to raise money for scholarship funds or other worthy causes, and they're a hell of a good time - never really worried much about what they gave out, as that's not the reason I played in  the first place.  

Last one I played in, the Oil Man's Invitational, was a blast - included a scramble, on-course contests, a big raffle and a steak dinner. Sponsors donated the prizes and funded the dinner, so a large portion of the intake went to the designated charities - which seems common with a lot of these tournaments. I won't paint with too wide of a brush, as it's always wise to only comment on what you know as opposed to what you think you know, but pretty much every tourney I've ever played in had sponsors pick up the tab for giveaways, prizes and meals, and the entry fee went to covering use of the facility with the balance going to the charity. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

5 hours ago, Scooter316 said:

The course I am working at is doing engraved bottles of vodka for the Men’s League winning team and I though this was pretty cool. Bonus points if you’ve got pictures!

Now THAT is a very cool prize!  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I’m wondering what is everyone’s favourite thing they’ve gotten as a first tee gift, event prize, league prize, or other giveaway!

These league champion trophies are fun... And heavy! IMG_20170924_185202_167.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Most of the tournaments I play in are charity events, usually sponsored by the Oil Heat Service Managers, the PHCC or other industry group, although I have played in straight charity outings, such as for the Boys and Girls Clubs, etc. The industry events are to raise money for scholarship funds or other worthy causes, and they're a hell of a good time - never really worried much about what they gave out, as that's not the reason I played in  the first place.  

Last one I played in, the Oil Man's Invitational, was a blast - included a scramble, on-course contests, a big raffle and a steak dinner. Sponsors donated the prizes and funded the dinner, so a large portion of the intake went to the designated charities - which seems common with a lot of these tournaments. I won't paint with too wide of a brush, as it's always wise to only comment on what you know as opposed to what you think you know, but pretty much every tourney I've ever played in had sponsors pick up the tab for giveaways, prizes and meals, and the entry fee went to covering use of the facility with the balance going to the charity. 

This is what I do for a living----what you all thought I made six figures from being a MOD 😂

In any case, you pretty much nailed it.   Sonsorships are where all the money is raised.  The entry fee pretty much covers the golf and some other basics.   And for those thst wonder, no the golf is not donated.  The chairity may be a non profit, but we're not one 😎

I've seen 50 person outings raise as little as $1500 for the cause.  And I certainly seen 250 person ones raise as much as $50,000 plus and everything in between. 

As Rick and John have said. It should never be about winning whatever prize or about what the SWAG is, but about helping a cause you believe in and having fun while doing so.  

Golf Tournaments can be a great way to fellowship and raise money for whatever cause burns in your soul. Typically the Golf Course gets about 40% of the entry fee. The rest goes towards tournament operations. So for example; if it cost $125 per person to play in a tournament, depending of the golf course, about $75 a person goes towards the tournament operations. It cost approximately $5 per head to feed a Golfer (bought in bulk excluding free alcohol). Under this example I would estimate the tournament alone contributes around $60 a head towards the chosen cause. If you have 50 golfers that’s a profit of $3000 after all expenses. If you sell out all 18 holes to sponsors at $500 a hole now you have raised a grand total of $12,000.00. Capital reinvestment is paramount to ensure successful events year after year. So if you are confident your tournament will be an annual event then why wouldn’t you budget for nice swag for every participant.

Best I ever received was a Nike shoulder bag that can double as a golf shoe bag. In the bag was a golf hat, sleeve of balls, ball marker and bag of tees. Total cost of the bag and contents $25 or total cost of approximately $1250.00. A small price to pay to ensure a successful annual event and most importantly to thank those who participated.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

6 minutes ago, SteddyGolf said:

Golf Tournaments can be a great way to fellowship and raise money for whatever cause burns in your soul. Typically the Golf Course gets about 40% of the entry fee. The rest goes towards tournament operations. So for example; if it cost $125 per person to play in a tournament, depending of the golf course, about $75 a person goes towards the tournament operations. It cost approximately $5 per head to feed a Golfer (bought in bulk excluding free alcohol). Under this example I would estimate the tournament alone contributes around $60 a head towards the chosen cause. If you have 50 golfers that’s a profit of $3000 after all expenses. If you sell out all 18 holes to sponsors at $500 a hole now you have raised a grand total of $12,000.00. Capital reinvestment is paramount to ensure successful events year after year. So if you are confident your tournament will be an annual event then why wouldn’t you budget for nice swag for every participant.

Best I ever received was a Nike shoulder bag that can double as a golf shoe bag. In the bag was a golf hat, sleeve of balls, ball marker and bag of tees. Total cost of the bag and contents $25 or total cost of approximately $1250.00. A small price to pay to ensure a successful annual event and most importantly to thank those who participated.

Just an FYI, almost all those figures are way short of actual cost, at least in this market.   Just for example, the gift bag you detailed at the end would easily be $40 if you went with cheap brands, and closer to $80 if you went with a quality name brand. 

$5 a plate? Wow.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Just an FYI, almost all those figures are way short of actual cost, at least in this market.   Just for example, the gift bag you detailed at the end would easily be $40 if you went with cheap brands, and closer to $80 if you went with a quality name brand. 

Not sure of your market but I’ve sourced that combination in Hawaii, San Antonio and Savannah. The numbers are real numbers based on my experience.

I sourced:

Adidas pull string shoulder bags for $12 each directly from overseas vendor

Bridgestone golf ball sleeve $6 per

Hats multiple vendor gifted

Ball markers from Korean connection $1 each

Tees and other little bits nominal cost.

The overall cost is not affected by region or location. You just have to be creative.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

$5 a plate? Wow.  

You would be surprised how little food actually costs when you buy in bulk. $5 will get you two meats, chips and a couple cookies. Obviously if you are hiring a cater the cost is three or four times that number per plate. It’s been my experience putting leadership on the grill will not only fill your patrons bellies but will also demonstrate your organizations servant heart.

I’ve run events in which we have fed up to 4000 in an afternoon.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

1 hour ago, SteddyGolf said:

You would be surprised how little food actually costs when you buy in bulk. $5 will get you two meats, chips and a couple cookies. Obviously if you are hiring a cater the cost is three or four times that number per plate. It’s been my experience putting leadership on the grill will not only fill your patrons bellies but will also demonstrate your organizations servant heart.

I’ve run events in which we have fed up to 4000 in an afternoon.

Not sure of your market but I’ve sourced that combination in Hawaii, San Antonio and Savannah. The numbers are real numbers based on my experience.

I sourced:

Adidas pull string shoulder bags for $12 each directly from overseas vendor

Bridgestone golf ball sleeve $6 per

Hats multiple vendor gifted

Ball markers from Korean connection $1 each

Tees and other little bits nominal cost.

The overall cost is not affected by region or location. You just have to be creative.

He’s in the DC area and he is responsible for sales and everything related to event planning at a golf course. 

I would put his information and take on the cost as pretty solid and reliable 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

He’s in the DC area and he is responsible for sales and everything related to event planning at a golf course. 

DC is an expensive market and a little atypical when compared to the rest of the US. However, I’ve put on these events as well and have always squeezed the most out of our budget. Granted I have connections in Korea and China that help tremendously.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

This was just a quick search without making phone calls. Prices good as of right this moment.

IMG_0183.thumb.PNG.302a8d9f05cc4432cf9ab6f8ff66f43f.PNG

IMG_0187.thumb.JPG.9fb4a4f2bde825d3db64960776d9dfb2.JPG

IMG_0186.thumb.JPG.a75b40aa08fcc9383a02981e501748ec.JPG

For these three items the cost is $25. Tees bought in bulk placed in baggies are cheap cheap. A custom ball mark can be minted and produced out of Korea for about $1 each.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

2 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

DC is an expensive market and a little atypical when compared to the rest of the US. However, I’ve put on these events as well and have always squeezed the most out of our budget. Granted I have connections in Korea and China that help tremendously.

Robs course is on the lower end of the price range for green fees in this area 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

This was just a quick search without making phone calls. Prices good as of right this moment.

IMG_0183.thumb.PNG.302a8d9f05cc4432cf9ab6f8ff66f43f.PNG

IMG_0187.thumb.JPG.9fb4a4f2bde825d3db64960776d9dfb2.JPG

IMG_0186.thumb.JPG.a75b40aa08fcc9383a02981e501748ec.JPG

For these three items the cost is $25. Tees bought in bulk placed in baggies are cheap cheap. A custom ball mark can be minted and produced out of Korea for about $1 each.

I'm not here to argue.  But try getting 180 of those hats logo'd with a specific color.  

Things you find on the retail sites are often not available logo'd and in large quantities with a mixture of sizes.

Also last I checked Bridgestone won't logo the e6's at a wholesale cost.

Anyway. We're getting away from the OP's original topic.  

@Scooter316 feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need help on anything 

IMG_3236.JPG

Here is a picture of our vodka trophies that we gave to our league champions. The options from the company were Gin, Vodka, or Whisky. The Vodka was the best fit for our budget, although I feel like the whisky would make the etching look good.

The nice thing about the bottle, as I mentioned when I gave them out, is that they are a corked bottle. You can always refill it with whatever other drinks you’ve got kicking around.

We have a trophy and awards expo in town in a few week where we may go and take a look at other ideas for prizes that are non-golf specific. One that I’ve seen was a custom engraved watch.

On 9/30/2019 at 8:19 PM, Kenny B said:

I only play in charity tournaments that I am willing to support and I don't care what the fee is.  I don't care about the awards/prizes because I am never close enough to the winning score to win anything.  The tournament prizes I dislike are putters, likely given to the person that made the longest putt, and drivers, likely given to the person with the longest drive.  Give me a break!!  They don't need it!

One of the best prizes I won was 15 years ago at a tournament at Indian Wells, CA that was sponsored by my professional institute...  set of four glasses engraved with the name and year of the tournament. Thanks for reminding me of it... I'll celebrate with a glass of bourbon.

IMG_1179.thumb.jpg.ca38e3a0d2bbfb35b2c1f9517594e155.jpg

I have played in some that the the complete opposite, the longest drive gets a putter and the longest putt gets a driver.  Makes more sense this way.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

15 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I have played in some that the the complete opposite, the longest drive gets a putter and the longest putt gets a driver.  Makes more sense this way.

That's exactly what I suggest to the planners who don't know.   Or a Vokey wedge for either one, works as well.