Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Maltby MMB 17s, TE Forged, TS-1s or some cool Maltby I don't even know about

Reid Thompson

Considering MMB 17, TE Forged and TS-1s. I hit the ball too low and have an out to in bias that produces toe hits often. I am a 2 but have no ego. I do like less graphics on clubs however and that knocked out TS-2s. I don't love the looks of the TE forged and that will lose in a tie breaker. I want the highest flying, easy to hit club out of the 3 (Seem very close in MPF, could it be for MMBs?? ). Coming from JPX 850 Forged which are surprisingly low on MPF.

5 minutes ago, Reid Thompson said:

Considering MMB 17, TE Forged and TS-1s. I hit the ball too low and have an out to in bias that produces toe hits often. I am a 2 but have no ego. I do like less graphics on clubs however and that knocked out TS-2s. I don't love the looks of the TE forged and that will lose in a tie breaker. I want the highest flying, easy to hit club out of the 3 (Seem very close in MPF, could it be for MMBs?? ). Coming from JPX 850 Forged which are surprisingly low on MPF.

If you are blindly buying clubs based on the MPF, then you are doing it wrong.

If you want Maltby irons, that's fine - the the MPF really has no weight outside of Maltby trying to push their own products.

850 forged were a great club.  If you are looking for something even more forgiving and higher launching that still looks good, check out the TMade P790, MIzuno 919 Hot Metal or Hot Metal Pros, Srixon 585s, etc.  

Don’t rule out @GolfSub70 or Lynx irons.  The Prowler VT irons some of us reviewed recently are beautiful in the bag and at address. With the kbs tour 90 shaft, they launched high and landed softly. The shaft wasn’t a good fit for me which has me debating a reshaft or going with the sub70 699’s.  

One thing that sub70 has going for them is you can get a couple demo clubs to try out and everybody raves about their customer service. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

A lot of people trash the MPF but the measurements give a lot of merit to a club head that has the COG in the middle of the club face as well as a lower VCOG. Designs that do not will not score well. But find a sweet spot on any iron and repeatedly hitting it will give you great results.

Of the three irons you looked at with Maltby the TE will be the highest flying of the three. It has an extremely low VCOG. They also have that sweet buttery feel to them. The flight of the next two are pretty darn close and I might give the nod to the TS-1 as being higher. The MMB-17 has the look of a classic blade but with it's nearly hollowed out back of the iron it plays like a cavity back.
The TS-1 with its hollow core design and urethane filling is the latest and greatest trend. It's looks are what I believe is the best of the three.
The TE and the MMB have been around for a long time and each year still sell well. They are timeless designs that have evolved every few years, but just slightly. If you want to keep up with the Jones the TS-1 is the way to go. The TS-1 also has this 4 way chambered sole that just refuses to dig into the ground. If the MMBs had this sole they would never leave my bag.
Tough to go wrong with any of those three. Plus the money laid out is about a 1/3 less than any equal OEM. I would also try and spec yourself out a high flying shaft as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

A lot of people trash the MPF but the measurements give a lot of merit to a club head that has the COG in the middle of the club face as well as a lower VCOG. Designs that do not will not score well. But find a sweet spot on any iron and repeatedly hitting it will give you great results.

Of the three irons you looked at with Maltby the TE will be the highest flying of the three. It has an extremely low VCOG. They also have that sweet buttery feel to them. The flight of the next two are pretty darn close and I might give the nod to the TS-1 as being higher. The MMB-17 has the look of a classic blade but with it's nearly hollowed out back of the iron it plays like a cavity back.
The TS-1 with its hollow core design and urethane filling is the latest and greatest trend. It's looks are what I believe is the best of the three.
The TE and the MMB have been around for a long time and each year still sell well. They are timeless designs that have evolved every few years, but just slightly. If you want to keep up with the Jones the TS-1 is the way to go. The TS-1 also has this 4 way chambered sole that just refuses to dig into the ground. If the MMBs had this sole they would never leave my bag.
Tough to go wrong with any of those three. Plus the money laid out is about a 1/3 less than any equal OEM. I would also try and spec yourself out a high flying shaft as well.

The sole comment is huge.   I'm a delofting digger so that is a big part of it.  

The sole comment is huge.   I'm a delofting digger so that is a big part of it.  
The sole design is as good as anything designed today. It's like the Srixon soles if you have ever hit those in turf.
The sole of the MMB is true blade like and can leave some monster divots of you really dig. They can be tough on Muni turf. But they glide through a nice plush fairway.
When Maltby does thier new MB designs in a year or so I really hope they have the TS-1 sole.
I know the TS-2 design doesnt suit your eye but they are even better for a digger.

On 9/30/2019 at 4:27 PM, jlukes said:

If you are blindly buying clubs based on the MPF, then you are doing it wrong.

If you want Maltby irons, that's fine - the the MPF really has no weight outside of Maltby trying to push their own products.

850 forged were a great club.  If you are looking for something even more forgiving and higher launching that still looks good, check out the TMade P790, MIzuno 919 Hot Metal or Hot Metal Pros, Srixon 585s, etc.  

Not sure you understand how the MPF works. Search Maltby MPF. You will see all the top brands list, and yes, the MPF rating works very well. 

Edited by 10shot

On 9/30/2019 at 4:19 PM, Reid Thompson said:

Good luck

I have several sets of Maltby irons, TE in my bag now. I switch to the DBM set when I feel like a change. I hit the TS-1 at Golf Works in the spring (19), well balanced head strikes the ball well. It is a filled head, I prefer straight Forged. The MPF factor is a well received weighting system used by several company's, you wont go wrong using it.

IMO I would avoid the KE4 series no one liked them in class, neither did I. 

I suggest having Golfworks put together a couple of 7 irons for you in the heads you are considering.  I bought a set of TS-2's based on finding the TT Elevate shafts to be a great fit for me in the Callaway Apex 19's.  Thought I could get the performance of the Elevates without paying OEM rates.  Sadly, I was wrong.  I don't find the TS-2's to be very forgiving despite their high MPF rating.  And, I really don't care for the look of the short irons.  And, the sole wants to bounce on the turf.  So, spend the money to try before you buy is my advice.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

• 1 month later...

So I have heard of Maltby and Golfworks but found their shaft comparisons and really started digginf deeper into MPF & all of Maltby's offering. I have never tried any of their clubs but am very intrigued for the fact that they have clubs for such a low cost and tout SGI forgiveness in compact/players heads. I see reviews on their site and have seen players here who play them but how closely do they compare to the clubs of 3x the price?

Are there any demo/trials for these clubs like sub70 do or is it just a buy and test methodology?

I have tried to understand how iron heads MPF is calculated but saw nothing on it. the Shaft rating is all based on speed, trajectory, control vs distance, and slice/hook bias.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

So I have heard of Maltby and Golfworks but found their shaft comparisons and really started digginf deeper into MPF & all of Maltby's offering. I have never tried any of their clubs but am very intrigued for the fact that they have clubs for such a low cost and tout SGI forgiveness in compact/players heads. I see reviews on their site and have seen players here who play them but how closely do they compare to the clubs of 3x the price?
Are there any demo/trials for these clubs like sub70 do or is it just a buy and test methodology?
I have tried to understand how iron heads MPF is calculated but saw nothing on it. the Shaft rating is all based on speed, trajectory, control vs distance, and slice/hook bias.
I have done quite a bit of head to head testing with Maltby heads and various OEM heads that match the design parameters. In every instance they have performed as good or better than the OEMs.
My most recent was a head to head of a Maltby TS-2 and a P790. Data showed launch, ballspeed, carry distances to be nearly identical. But what the Maltby did was spin more. On course testing showed the exact same results. The Maltby would stop near its ball mark the P790 would roll out in most cases further than I wanted.
Durability and looks, they are as good as anything made. Often times they are cast in the same foundaries as all of the other OEMs. They have innovated over the years and are often the first to bring new tech to the industry.
Over the years they have also done design work for several OEM companies.
If you want heads cheaper than thier retail for demos go on ebay. You often find single heads for sale. Go ahead and pay three times the cost for OEM.... you are not buying a head that's three times better

On 11/16/2019 at 10:33 PM, Popeye64 said:
I have done quite a bit of head to head testing with Maltby heads and various OEM heads that match the design parameters. In every instance they have performed as good or better than the OEMs.
My most recent was a head to head of a Maltby TS-2 and a P790. Data showed launch, ballspeed, carry distances to be nearly identical. But what the Maltby did was spin more. On course testing showed the exact same results. The Maltby would stop near its ball mark the P790 would roll out in most cases further than I wanted.
Durability and looks, they are as good as anything made. Often times they are cast in the same foundaries as all of the other OEMs. They have innovated over the years and are often the first to bring new tech to the industry.
Over the years they have also done design work for several OEM companies.
If you want heads cheaper than thier retail for demos go on ebay. You often find single heads for sale. Go ahead and pay three times the cost for OEM.... you are not buying a head that's three times better

Thanks for the feedback I was sure OEMs wouldn't be 3x better especially because of the reviews. I was just curious how they did stack up and it seems like they stack up well.

I was most curious about the TE & DBM vs Mizuno JPX919 Forged or similar club or even how it would compare to Sub70 639 series. I do like the look of most of their clubs never seen in person though.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app
Edit: corrected Sub70 iron model

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver