Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Titleist EXP-01 Golf Ball Available for Retail and Direct Purchase

Titleist Releases Experimental EXP01 Golf Ball
Multilayer Construction, Urethane-Covered Golf Ball Offered in Limited Run – Straight From Titleist R&D Lab

FAIRHAVEN, Mass. (Oct. 1, 2019) – The Titleist Golf Ball Research & Development team is comprised of more than 75 associates – from chemical engineers and mathematicians, to materials scientists and aerodynamics physicists – driven by a commitment of continuous improvement and innovation.

It is from their rigorous R&D process – rooted in decades of golfer research and feedback, intellectual property leadership, technological breakthroughs and comprehensive prototype testing – that new ideas are born and performance-enhancing limits are pushed.

Year after year, countless golf ball concepts are developed with some never seeing the light of day and many left on the trial room floor. The new Titleist EXP•01 golf ball – an experimental multilayer construction utilizing a new high performance urethane cover formulation and process – is one concept that has made its way to the top.

The R&D process for EXP01 continues Oct. 1, when a one-time, limited run will be made available to golf shops in the U.S. and Canada. Additionally, golfers will be able to order EXP•01 through My Titleist on Titleist.com until supplies last.

THE TITLEIST EXP PROJECT
EXP•01 is being released as part of the Titleist EXP Project, a new and ongoing initiative created to provide golfers the opportunity to experience new golf ball technologies still in the experimental phase. The Titleist R&D and Golf Ball Product Management teams will be actively seeking performance feedback from golfers who play EXP•01 during its availability.

“The EXP Project invites golfers into the early stages of our R&D process, and allows us to broadly test experimental materials, constructions and processes that could be integrated into any segment of our golf ball line,” said Michael Mahoney, Vice President, Titleist Golf Ball Marketing. “EXP•01 is truly an exploratory product and there’s no better way to evaluate our progress than getting it into the hands of dedicated golfers.”

EXP•01 CONSTRUCTION & TECHNOLOGY
EXP•01 is an experimental golf ball straight from the Titleist R&D laboratory featuring a multilayer construction with a high performance urethane cover formulation.

• MTR DEVELOPMENTAL COVER SYSTEM: The short game spin enhancing urethane prototype cover was developed through Titleist’s relentless material and process experimentation.

• INNOVATIVE CORE TECHNOLOGY: A high speed core construction and specialized casing layer deliver low spin on long game shots for great distance and tight dispersion.

• PROPRIETARY 346 DIMPLE DESIGN: Through testing, the proprietary aerodynamic package has demonstrated an optimized flight profile for peak performance.

AVAILABILITY
Titleist EXP•01 will be available for a limited time in golf shops in the U.S. and Canada. It will also be available through My Titleist on Titleist.com. MAP $39.99.

332688 exp01 2 1765a4 original 1569520769

Titleist EXP Ball.jpg

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

A great indepth look at what Tony has to say about it in the blog

https://mygolfspy.com/titleist-exp•01-golf-ball-straight-from-the-rd-lab/

Purchased a dozen to compare with the Pro V1. I’m very curious!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Interesting approach by Titleist. From the view of them being a public company this makes sense because it generates some sales and also buzz for what the ball is and what it will become. As tony points out interesting that they would sell it and give competitors the chance to get them and reverse engineer it, but then again as Mahoney points out it’s in the very early stages unlike when they send out the white boxes so even if a competitor gets info the final product will probably be different if there is a final product

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Interesting approach by Titleist. From the view of them being a public company this makes sense because it generates some sales and also buzz for what the ball is and what it will become. As tony points out interesting that they would sell it and give competitors the chance to get them and reverse engineer it, but then again as Mahoney points out it’s in the very early stages unlike when they send out the white boxes so even if a competitor gets info the final product will probably be different if there is a final product

Our Left Dash's just arrived in the pro shop today, I guess these will be coming in very soon.    Sounds like some on course ball testing is in the works!

21 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Our Left Dash's just arrived in the pro shop today, I guess these will be coming in very soon.    Sounds like some on course ball testing is in the works!

I'll be your Huckleberry!  

Looks like I need to make a trip up to your course.  Or you could send me a sleeve!  😉 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

25 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Nice. Left dash have my interest too

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Ordered a dozen of these and left dash. We will see how they are!

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

3 hours ago, golfinnut said:

I'll be your Huckleberry!  

Looks like I need to make a trip up to your course.  Or you could send me a sleeve!  😉 

Looks like I need to make a trip up to your course. ---Sure come on up and we'll try a sleeve or two.

Or you could send me a sleeve- Sure I'll have Jennifer Aniston deliver them as well 🙄

Looks like I need to make a trip up to your course. ---Sure come on up and we'll try a sleeve or two.
Or you could send me a sleeve- Sure I'll have Jennifer Aniston deliver them as well 
Wow ... cool, tell her I'll even take her out to dinner if she meets me half way. Cause you know that's a long drive. ;) LOL

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is very interesting. Next time I see my friend who works at Ball Plant 3 I'll ask if she can tell me anything... I can 100% guarantee the answer will be NO but I'll ask anyways 😄

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

9 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

This is very interesting. Next time I see my friend who works at Ball Plant 3 I'll ask if she can tell me anything... I can 100% guarantee the answer will be NO but I'll ask anyways 😄

Based on the reporting from Jonathan wall and his interview with Mahoney there is very little info being shared by titleist. They want organic feedback from the golfing public. The ball is in early development stages and they aren’t even looking at tour pro feedback yet. 

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Based on the reporting from Jonathan wall and his interview with Mahoney there is very little info being shared by titleist. They want organic feedback from the golfing public. The ball is in early development stages and they aren’t even looking at tour pro feedback yet. 

Haha!  That's because I'm sure this ball won't be offered to the Tour players.  I can only assume that this development is for the masses 

2 hours ago, golfinnut said:

Haha!  That's because I'm sure this ball won't be offered to the Tour players.  I can only assume that this development is for the masses 

From what I’ve read it’s something that could be applied to any of their balls. It’s in a true prototype stage right now and nowhere near what is the normal white box testing stage. 

Considering the large majority of their tour players use the same retail versions of golf balls we get it it not like they couldn’t give this to their tour players. 

Mine arrived today.
Adjustments.jpgAdjustments.jpgAdjustments.jpg

Took a sleeve of these to the course and played nine with testing vs the Pro V1, and Pro V1X.
It is definitely softer than either the Pro V1 and Pro V1X off every club in the bag. It flew higher than Pro V1 off the driver, but not as high as Pro V1X. I never hit two consecutive drives well, so I’m not sure about distance off the driver. Distance off irons seemed be a few yards longer than Pro V1, and about the same as Pro V1X. From inside 100 yards, spin seemed to be similar to both other balls, but, again, the softer feel was noticeable. On pitches and chips, it had similar roll out to the others, and had a very quiet sound off the clubs around the green.
It really didn’t stick out vs the others in any particular area other than feel, and maybe distance off irons. I’m going to bring a sleeve with me this week so I can hit them during my wedge fitting at Club Champion. I should be able to get some numbers while I’m there.

On 10/1/2019 at 8:43 AM, PMookie said:

Purchased a dozen to compare with the Pro V1. I’m very curious!!!

Already batting 1000... you were among a handful on the forum who immediately made my list of "Hmm, I wonder which MGS's are going to bag these" 🤣 @chisag, @Thin2win, and @THEZIPR23were others.  Chris, don't let me down 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Already batting 1000... you were among a handful on the forum who immediately made my list of "Hmm, I wonder which MGS's are going to bag these"  [mention=291]chisag[/mention], [mention=77440]Thin2win[/mention], and [mention=78201]THEZIPR23[/mention]were others.  Chris, don't let me down .

Yep. Had to do it! I’ve never been a Titleist ball guy until this year, and I’ve tried the AVX last summer, so I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing out on some performance.

THEZIPR23 and I might have to do dual testing when we hit the links in Santa Barbara in 2 weeks!

18 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Already batting 1000... you were among a handful on the forum who immediately made my list of "Hmm, I wonder which MGS's are going to bag these" 🤣 @chisag, @Thin2win, and @THEZIPR23were others.  Chris, don't let me down 🙂.

I'm gonna take a hard pass on this one. While I'll never knock the performance of a titiest product, I'll also never use them. It is the only brand I completely exclude from coming near my golf bag. 

That said, even if this was another brand, I'm not sure I could order them... What if I loved them and could never get more?! 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Hit these off wedges during my fitting at Club Champion. Flight was significantly higher than Pro V1X and Pro V, and spin was over TWO THOUSAND rpms less than Pro V1X off full wedges!!! Crazy! I went from 10,000/11,000 down to 8400/9000! These do NOT spin.

I see that some have the left dash balls, any thoughts on them yet?

My shop says they ordered them but they haven't come in yet. Can't wait to try these.

Driver: :ping-small: G with Alta 55 stiff shaft, the 9° version but adjusted to 10° degrees

3 Wood: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

3 Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

Irons: :cobra-small: Fly-Z 4-9 with stock stiff steel shafts

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54°, and 58° Dynamic Gold steel shafts

Putter: Testing :odyssey-small: EXO 7S 34" Standard Lie, Black Shaft, Odyssey SuperStroke Mid-Slim 2.0 grip

On 10/5/2019 at 6:29 PM, PMookie said:

Took a sleeve of these to the course and played nine with testing vs the Pro V1, and Pro V1X.
It is definitely softer than either the Pro V1 and Pro V1X off every club in the bag. It flew higher than Pro V1 off the driver, but not as high as Pro V1X. I never hit two consecutive drives well, so I’m not sure about distance off the driver. Distance off irons seemed be a few yards longer than Pro V1, and about the same as Pro V1X. From inside 100 yards, spin seemed to be similar to both other balls, but, again, the softer feel was noticeable. On pitches and chips, it had similar roll out to the others, and had a very quiet sound off the clubs around the green.
It really didn’t stick out vs the others in any particular area other than feel, and maybe distance off irons. I’m going to bring a sleeve with me this week so I can hit them during my wedge fitting at Club Champion. I should be able to get some numbers while I’m there.

I took out these and the left dash last night and compared them to V1X. This is pretty much spot on. Very soft feel, distance of driver was probably 3-5 yards shorter than V1X for me but that could simply be my swing, or landing area etc. Launch as lower around the green and on half wedges.

As far as left dash, nothing stuck out to me. Almost exactly like the V1X. Our greens are super soft right now so hard to tell spin on greens. More to come...

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

First try with the EXP-01

BTW: it’s 3 piece Not 4

Flys a bit higher, not longer, med spin off irons, not a lot of spin on pitches & chips.

It sounds soft

I mean that literally, this ball sounds different. Noticeably less click or thwack.

D4AB15D3-3E18-452C-9429-E01FC978A233.jpeg

Edited by Icemakr

Ping G430 LST 10.5@ 12.0*
TSR 2 16.5
TSi3 20*

TSi 1 20*
TSi 1 25*
TSi 1 30*

Ping G430 7-45 

Ping Glide 4.0 52*, 58*
Ping PLD  DS72 armlock

• 3 weeks later...

Played 18 with them yesterday.  Felt driver distance was a bit longer, iron play as well.  Height was not noticeably higher or lower.  Sound was definitely softer (not the whack).  Full iron shots into the green the spin was excellent (for my swing) - ball didn’t suck back, but checked and held nicely...I was impressed with that.  I felt around the greens, the spin was a bit inconsistent, and they seemed to roll out quite a bit.  Also, durability comes into question - had 3 get “shingled” (cut from iron grooves), which I have not seen happen with balls in some time.

All in all a good ball, looking forward to playing my next round with them.  

FYI - my normal ball is Bridgestone Tour B Xs.

JJ

• 2 weeks later...

A special shout out to @ga_pike for sharing a couple of sleeves of this ball with me.  I tested them today over 36 holes, and two things really stand out to me.

1. These balls are really long.  I average 230-240 off of the tee with pretty much anything.  In testing these today I was launching these suckers 260-270 consistently.
  2. These balls have some serious stick on the greens.  I hit a 7 iron from 165 yards and the ball stopped about 3 inches from where it hit.  I had one approach shot hit and stay in it's ball mark.  I mean, that's some serious stick and stop that I could get used to.

It's just my opinion but this ball is something I would definitely put into play.  I shot 73 with the first round I played these balls.  It doesn't get much better than that,

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

A special shout out to [mention=122]ga_pike[/mention] for sharing a couple of sleeves of this ball with me.  I tested them today over 36 holes, and two things really stand out to me.
  1. These balls are really long.  I average 230-240 off of the tee with pretty much anything.  In testing these today I was launching these suckers 260-270 consistently.
  2. These balls have some serious stick on the greens.  I hit a 7 iron from 165 yards and the ball stopped about 3 inches from where it hit.  I had one approach shot hit and stay in it's ball mark.  I mean, that's some serious stick and stop that I could get used to.
It's just my opinion but this ball is something I would definitely put into play.  I shot 73 with the first round I played these balls.  It doesn't get much better than that,

Totally different from my results... Crazy how this happens.

I had an urge to try these out since Worldwide/Roger Dunn is having 20% off the entire store this weekend, but I'm happy with the V1x at the minute. Definitely going to give the 2020 Tour B X a go when it releases though.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

12 hours ago, PMookie said:

Totally different from my results... Crazy how this happens.

I'd appreciate a little more feedback from your results, if you don't mind.  I'm so positive about these balls that I just picked up four dozen of them and swear by them at this point after 72 holes of hitting them and being extremely satisfied with the results.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

4 hours ago, GSwag said:

I'd appreciate a little more feedback from your results, if you don't mind.  I'm so positive about these balls that I just picked up four dozen of them and swear by them at this point after 72 holes of hitting them and being extremely satisfied with the results.

For me they are a so so ball. I had no expectations because they are and experimental ball. I got to much release on the greens with chips/pitches and scoring irons. Off the tee they were fine, about what I was getting with Prov1. On one of the balls i played durability wasn’t as good as the prov. I think someone who likes a softer ball would enjoy these.