TESTERS WANTED! ×

Callaway FT Tour Driver

MmmmmmBuddy

Callaway FT Tour Driver

I had a chance to see and hit the new Callaway FT Tour driver yesterday. I can't wait to get this thing outside on the range. It is very difficult to judge ballfight indoors, and I did not have access to a reliable launch monitor to get some accurate ball speed and spin #s.

This club has clean, classic lines, and looks a bit smaller than the massive 460cc drivers we have all become accustomed to. Some players might be put off by the seam on the crown that shows the titanium and carbon parts of the driver joining together, but this reviewer can get used to anything that goes long and straight.

Callaway has tuned the sound on this club to appeal to the better player as well. It has a very solid "thwack" at impact. No broken bottle sound with this club.

From what I can gleen by looking at this "Tour" club and comparing it to other Callaway Tour clubs from the past is that it seems that the Callaway design department has actually been listening to what players have been asking for. This wasn't one of those "This is our driver this year, and you will play it". The engineers listened to the input of the great players, and created the driver THEY wanted.

I will have more to say about this club after some extensive outdoor and Flightscope testing.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Still waiting to hit it outdoors, but the rumor is that the ball speeds are off the charts high, but if you miss, look out.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

cally and everyone tryin to keep up wit taylor to put as many drivers out as possible

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

I tried the ft9 and iz as usual the lefty in tour is order only to so the 460 heads and the offering that they had last time was a dissapointment and i am a cally fan because of Phil the thrill, so i am excited about these they look traditional and more is less right

Andrew Bush

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

so i am excited about these they look traditional and more is less right

Andrew Bush

Correct... more IS less. I think

So I assume if its a tour model that the face is 1-2 degrees open?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

So I assume if its a tour model that the face is 1-2 degrees open?

that is correct. Open face angle.. Looks alot like the FT-3 tour.

I posted this elsewhere, but I hit this club at the local winter golf show. All I can say is...don't miss the sweet spot. That thing is harsh on mis-hits. I took about 5-10 swings, and I don't think I found the sweet spot once. It might just be the most "player" driver they've ever made.

I posted this elsewhere, but I hit this club at the local winter golf show. All I can say is...don't miss the sweet spot. That thing is harsh on mis-hits. I took about 5-10 swings, and I don't think I found the sweet spot once. It might just be the most "player" driver they've ever made.

Most drivers today dont give any feedback when You mishit, the FT Tour is a refreshing change to that. I like it because of that, not inspite of it!

Golf is suppoused to be hard!

That is to be expected with a tour driver, though I'm a little surprised you didn't like it. A lot of people really love it.

That is to be expected with a tour driver, though I'm a little surprised you didn't like it. A lot of people really love it.

We will see how much they love it when they miss it a little thin, and end up 30 yards short of everybody else...

I just tried this thing yesterday and I loved the looks of it. When I hit it square it was amazing but the miss hits were way short, most of mine are low on the heel. I hated the sound though. The club just aounded dead to me and that was a huge turn off for me.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

We will see how much they love it when they miss it a little thin, and end up 30 yards short of everybody else...

True, that is the trade off. It's a club you need to hit in the center of the clubface.

• 1 month later...

I went down to Callaway for a fitting and tried just about everything. I was destroying the FT Tour. It felt way hotter than the Diablo Edge or FT-iZ and for the most part I am getting good separation from my playing partners off the tee. Sometimes it is glaring.

I had been using square drivers ( NIKE SUMO 5900, Callaway FT-iQ) the last few years but played my old Bridgestone J33 driver one weekend and was hitting the ball very well and decided that I wanted to go back to a traditional style head.

This thing sets up open which is great because most of my miss hits are hooks with an occasional push. I have a 9.5* with a Diamana blueboard 75-X in it and I'm getting a great trajectory and I feel like it is much more accurate than my FT-iQ. Possibly because the shaft in the iQ was way too soft and if my swing got aggressive then it would get ugly fast.

Only have two rounds with it so far but I only had a few OB on the first round because I was not swinging with my normal tempo. I was trying too hard ( thinking I needed to swing harder because of the x-flex) instead of letting the shaft react to my normal swing which is how I was fitted. Now I'm ripping them and can work it either way much easier than with the square drivers ( I know those were not designed to be a workable club - just saying this driver is very versatile.) It also has a very solid sound.

Overall, very happy so far!

• 2 months later...

tried it the other day and was not a huge fan, the sound and the shaft options just do not fit my game, but it is a nice looking club ill give it that.

Ts3 w. 9.5 oban isawa 75g xflex

tsi2 15deg w. Addi 85x 

Vintage 712u 3i with x100

MP18 4-9 w. X100

t7 wedges x100

newport2 heavy 

Archived