TESTERS WANTED! ×

Thinking of going (semi-)Private... Pros and Cons?

GolfSpy BOS

Hey Spies,

I’m hoping to get some feedback from those of you that have experience being members at a private or semi-private club.

There is a course near me that offers a good price on memberships for those under 35. I would not get voting privileges, but get all other benefits the club offers.

I am considering this because I like the course, and it works out to be less expensive than just the rounds I play in my league. I could play in their league and tournaments and they also have a practice area that I would have access too.

It’s closer to home than my league course too!

So, from that list it sounds like a great deal for me... what am I missing? Anyone here ever been a member and regretted it? What sort of things should I be looking for?

Also looking for a spot where we can have some general private vs public discussion. I think this is a good spot for it, but Mods feel free to move if I should have placed this in a different spot in the forums.

IMG_6168.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I hate to give a cop out answer but I think it comes down to the individual. I travel a ton so the league at my club is not an option. The guys I know that play in it love it. The under 35 guys at my club love it because it’s a great deal. The guys turning 35 tell me they probably won’t rejoin because of the bump in price, family, no longer a tax write off, etc...The older retired guys love it because it is their life. They are there every day and that is where all their friends are.

For me at 51 I’m glad I belong because I can just show up and play at pretty much any time. Pace of play is way better than public. The tournaments are a blast and the people are good. I play more golf than ever because it is easy when compared to public.

With that being said I find myself getting a little bored playing the same course the majority of the time. I feel like I should play when I really don’t feel like it because I’m paying for it. I have a guy trip to Florida next week and for the first time I’m a little meh about the trip because I’ve played so much this year. But I can’t imagine leaving the club either because the social aspect is great, the convenience can’t be beat and it is great taking my family there for dinner overlooking the course.

I say go for it but be prepared to be spoiled by access you will have to golf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I'd do it. I was fortunate to have a public course offer a 2 year deal last year for an unbelievably low price and I jumped on it. But, when the membership expires at the end of next year, I can't see myself not joining another club. In fact, I'm already looking at memberships for various clubs now and I hate to say it but Firestone is looking like the best value at the moment.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

9 hours ago, Wedgie said:

With that being said I find myself getting a little bored playing the same course the majority of the time.

This is my problem. I really do enjoy my home track, but I also relish the challenge of learning and adapting to new ones. Plus, playing multiple courses is obviously going to be a good way to make sure your game travels which is important if you like to take trips or play tournaments.

Edited by TR1PTIK

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I went private this year and it has been great. Similar to you under 35 so no voting rights but less total cost.  I have been getting out more and also jumping on for quick 9’s as I can. The club I am at is also part of a network system so that opens up the opportunity to play courses while traveling too. All that said I am not sure that I am really saving on my price per round since it is a bit expensive. In the past when I have played a lot it was on a public course. I would say the main difference is how busy it gets in the summer for me. The private course is more predictable while the public could be under 4 hours or almost 6 depending on the day. 

Make and make sure there is not an up-charge for the league as some places you need to pay extra. 

Driver:    :taylormade-small:  M2 9.5°

3 Wood:  :taylormade-small: Jetspeed

Irons:      :taylormade-small: RocketBallz 

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Mill Grind 2 50° - Tour Preferred EF 54° & 60°

Putter:    :taylormade-small: Ghost Tour Black Maranello

Ball :        :titelist-small:  ProV1

I belong to a private club - no voting right since it's not an 'equity' type club (no ownership position).. Since my wife and I are retired, we play frequently, at least 4-5 times a week which includes league play. We pay an annual fee for golf so I can go out anytime even when the course or pro shop are closed.  Our course is challenging for us and differences in weather can really change it up a bit (our course is on Lake Erie).  Perhaps if we were scratch golfers we'd find it boring - but then maybe not.  Another big advantage is I never have to look far for a playing partner(s).  Most nights I'll get a group text from guys looking for partners and vice versa.   Also our group of guys has an informal weekly road trip to different courses. 

However, at the end of the day it comes down to two things:

1. Economics - does it makes sense given the # of times you'll play and it fits within your budget. As many times as we play through out the season - April through November, I figured each round costs $13. including our trail fee. Our unlimited play package also includes the driving range,  2 practice holes and a waiver of entry fees for club events (championships). 

Note; When you look at the fee structure find out if there are additional charges; league, events, etc. Since our club is a combination boating, social and golf, we have two golf fee structures: one is per round and the other is unlimited play. 

2. Looking to expand your network of like minded golfing friends/partners. Both my wife and I have developed lots of friendship that, while centered around golf, extend beyond it. 

Hope this helps. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

If you’re planning on spending X amount on dues, plan on 25-30% extra to include incidentals. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

When I think about memberships it usually boils down to the economics. How do the dues compare price-wise to how much I expect to play. Most courses set their dues at about equal to one round per week. If you anticipate playing more than that, I'd consider it a PRO, if you play less then price is a CON.

The other benefit of membership at a private or semi-private club is access for practice. If there is a quality practice area I'd always call that a PRO.

Personally, I chose just the practice membership at my 'home' course because of the quality of the practice areas and it leaves me free to play various courses. 

The con side of a membership depends on how much you like to play a variety of courses. 

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

If you can afford it and it fits socially, then go for it.

Let’s see, what’s not to like?

• usually much better practice facilities 
  • pace of play is better than public = by a great deal near me
  • tournaments and competitions are lots of fun
  • locker rooms, bag storage, attendants
  • demo clubs from pro shop
  • get to test all the new stuff when the OEMs come to do demo days
  • staff are super focused on getting you whatever you need (hustling for tips, but never any sense of entitlement to one)
  • usually nice restaurant and grill room
  • spontaneous access - you can usually just show up and play

Potential cons, lots of which are related to having paid up front and being locked in

• Course maintenance issues for any number of reasons (weather, personnel, etc.)
  • Add on fees (these should be anticipated going in)
  • changes to membership - groups coming or going changing the morale or comeraderie of the membership
  • if an 18 hole club, a sense of lack of variety

i was fortunate to be able to go private several years ago, and I have loved it.  Definitely not a value proposition in terms of $/round, but I appreciate all the extras enough for it to be worth it.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Lots of great feedback so far!  To address some of the questions that have been coming up:

1) Economics of it:  Based on this year's rate I'd be paying less for the year than I do for just my league rounds (about 20, 9 hole rounds) at the other course's league rate.  As far as I know, the only additional fee is that I can either get a season cart rental, or pay $10 per round if I want a cart.  This course is VERY walkable and since you're allowed to walk during league play, I probably would. (maybe I need to factor in the price of a nice push cart....)

1b) As far as I know there is no longer a restaurant or proshop minimum, but I would have to verify that.

2) playing other courses:  I have to agree that I enjoy playing many of the courses around.  However, the majority of my rounds come from my week night league.  If i replaced that with a membership here I would be more likely to jump out for a quick round (even if its just 3-4 holes as time permits because it is closer to home and could serve as good practice).  A membership here would not stop me from playing elsewhere on weekends for those rounds.

3) Pace of play:  I hadn't really thought of this, but now that it's been brought up the two times I've played at that course this year we played 9 holes with 3 or 4 people in under 2 hours.  I've had some league matches that we were waiting on each an every shot that lasted nearly 3.5 hours (for 9 holes!!!).  This might be a benefit I had not thought of.

4) It is a 9 hole course, which is fine with me since the majority of my rounds are 9 hole from league play, and it reduces the potential maintenance issues and costs associated with additional land.

5)  Here are some of the benefits:

• Unlimited Golf for Full Members
  • Club Tournaments & Social Events
  •  Impeccably Manicured Course
  • Men and Women Member Leagues
  • Use of Practice Facility
  • Preferred Tee Times

I requested additional information, so hopefully I'll know soon about additional fees or potential adjustments.  I also found out they use a payment plan too, so I could pay for the membership over the course of the season (I think 3 payments).

Quick math shows my league only play costing about $700 ($35 per round), this under 35 membership was less than $600 for the year this year.  It also helps that the finance committee (Read: My Wife) Approves of the idea of the membership (She's great, I know!).

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Sounds like you’ve found a situation that fits your needs, and with it being non-equity, you have no long term commitment. 

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Sounds like you’ve found a situation that fits your needs, and with it being non-equity, you have no long term commitment. 

Yeah, I like the idea that it’s something I could walk away from the following year without really losing anything other than my spot in the current league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Lots of great feedback so far!  To address some of the questions that have been coming up:

1) Economics of it:  Based on this year's rate I'd be paying less for the year than I do for just my league rounds (about 20, 9 hole rounds) at the other course's league rate.  As far as I know, the only additional fee is that I can either get a season cart rental, or pay $10 per round if I want a cart.  This course is VERY walkable and since you're allowed to walk during league play, I probably would. (maybe I need to factor in the price of a nice push cart....)

1b) As far as I know there is no longer a restaurant or proshop minimum, but I would have to verify that.

2) playing other courses:  I have to agree that I enjoy playing many of the courses around.  However, the majority of my rounds come from my week night league.  If i replaced that with a membership here I would be more likely to jump out for a quick round (even if its just 3-4 holes as time permits because it is closer to home and could serve as good practice).  A membership here would not stop me from playing elsewhere on weekends for those rounds.

3) Pace of play:  I hadn't really thought of this, but now that it's been brought up the two times I've played at that course this year we played 9 holes with 3 or 4 people in under 2 hours.  I've had some league matches that we were waiting on each an every shot that lasted nearly 3.5 hours (for 9 holes!!!).  This might be a benefit I had not thought of.

4) It is a 9 hole course, which is fine with me since the majority of my rounds are 9 hole from league play, and it reduces the potential maintenance issues and costs associated with additional land.

5)  Here are some of the benefits:

• Unlimited Golf for Full Members
  • Club Tournaments & Social Events
  •  Impeccably Manicured Course
  • Men and Women Member Leagues
  • Use of Practice Facility
  • Preferred Tee Times

I requested additional information, so hopefully I'll know soon about additional fees or potential adjustments.  I also found out they use a payment plan too, so I could pay for the membership over the course of the season (I think 3 payments).

Quick math shows my league only play costing about $700 ($35 per round), this under 35 membership was less than $600 for the year this year.  It also helps that the finance committee (Read: My Wife) Approves of the idea of the membership (She's great, I know!).

You've answered your own questions - go for it. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I think you could ask 100 people, and get 100 different answers and feedback as to why someone chooses or not chooses to get a membership at a club.  Part of this I think is that everyone's lifestyle and golf circumstances vary not only personally, but geographically.

I'll simply give you my situation, and let you take from this whatever you wish, or none of it at all.

I joined a club in July (Kinderlou Forest) that is actually in another state, about an hour from my house, that I specifically joined to play in their dog fight on Saturdays.  I say in another state, because I am about 10 minutes from the Georgia state line, so different states in this area (Tallahassee) are meaningless for the most part.

Several reasons why I choose to drive over an hour once a week (each way) just to play a round of golf.  First off, it's $130 a month for a golf course that could host a PGA Tour event tomorrow.  The greenskeeper at this club is given a blank check and spends as much as he wants on maintenance at this course.  The greens are always impeccable and stimping faster then pretty much any other course I ever play.  The rough resembles what you saw on TV at East Lake, where when the pros hit it there, they were left to wedge it out as their only option.  So in short, the conditions of this course are always phenomenal from tee to green.  The course itself was designed by Davis Love III, and every hole provides a unique challenge, and no two holes are the same.  One of the best layouts I've ever played.

I get a non-resident membership at that price, and pay cart fees of $22 every time I play.  You can do the math if you want, but it's about $50 a round when I just play on Saturdays.

Why don't I join a club closer to my house that I can play more often you ask?  I'm so glad you asked me that.  There's a swanky private club 5 minutes from my house that wants $350 a month just for the privilege of showing up every month.  Then they charge you cart fees, and even a walking fee, along with a food and drink minimum.  I did the math and if I played this even 10 times a month I was looking at over $500 a month.  Well, I just can't afford that.  One other private course close by is about $250 a month, plus your cart fees and all of that, but it's the same deal, when you start factoring in all of the cart fees, etc.  And that course is having legal and financial issues, so I didn't want to get involved in a club that may not even be in existence in 6 months.

The only other semi private or private courses in town that are options are just as expensive, and not as close to home for me to even consider.  One course on the south part of town is jam packed right now, because FSU's Seminole course is still closed for renovation and they are getting all of the business from what used to go there.  It would be a 5 hour round every time, and I've driven by there after work, and there are always 6 guys lined up on the first tee to play there.  So a membership there would be a waste of money, because it's basically like a muni, and overbooked with dudes all over the place.

The one public muni in town is so packed right now with Seminole closed that I can't even walk on as a single on the weekend to try and tee it up.  They bluntly told me that without a tee time of at least a twosome that they wouldn't let me out to play on weekends.

In short, golf in Tallahassee is either too expensive, or a five hour round, or both, at least compared to driving an hour to play a golf course that is in better shape than any other course within 200 miles of here (and yes, that includes TPC Sawgrass, which is within that radius).

All that said, there are some side benefits to my membership at Kinderlou that I hadn't even factored in when I joined.  First off, I played in my first Club Championship a month ago, and that was a great experience.  I've played in several other member tournaments and had a great time.  And I'm now part of a Saturday morning core group of golfers that are at my level (6 handicap) or better, so I am constantly playing against golfers of my skill level or better, which can only help improve my game.  Walking on to the local muni or just going out a single and teeing it up at a public course, generally speaking you are paired with golfers in the 15+ handicap range that don't respect the rules, have any sense of etiquette, or care about pace of play.

I am very thankful for the privilege of playing Kinderlou at least once a week, and I gladly drive the hour each way, once a week to play it.  And once I get my work situation worked out to where I have a solid backup, I plan on taking off on Fridays to play then to.

But in general, I think regardless of where you are considering joining as a member, as long as you can get a normal game with other members, that to me greatly increases the value of your membership, because sure, I don't mind playing practice rounds by myself, but it's the social aspect with the other members that truly makes any club a much better experience then just taking your chances with public golf courses.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

you are paired with golfers in the 15+ handicap range that don't respect the rules, have any sense of etiquette, or care about pace of play.

GSwag - great post. Only one 'bone of contention' lumping all of us higher handicappers into your statement. At our private club our league play includes guys from a broad range of handicaps. Regardless of the handicap we're all pretty fastidious about rules, fixing ball marks, fill divots on the fairway, etc. and perhaps that's the difference between joining a club and being respectful of the property and playing public courses

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

30 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

GSwag - great post. Only one 'bone of contention' lumping all of us higher handicappers into your statement. At our private club our league play includes guys from a broad range of handicaps. Regardless of the handicap we're all pretty fastidious about rules, fixing ball marks, fill divots on the fairway, etc. and perhaps that's the difference between joining a club and being respectful of the property and playing public courses

For most the season I was a 30 handicap, yes I need to practice my short game more, and I play most weekends with a group that includes a 2.4, 6.8, and 16. We move fast to keep pace of play up and all respect the course. I would hope this type of play is not only found at a privet course (currently what I play on) 

Driver:    :taylormade-small:  M2 9.5°

3 Wood:  :taylormade-small: Jetspeed

Irons:      :taylormade-small: RocketBallz 

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Mill Grind 2 50° - Tour Preferred EF 54° & 60°

Putter:    :taylormade-small: Ghost Tour Black Maranello

Ball :        :titelist-small:  ProV1

45 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I play with High handicappers all the time. My Saturday group has a 14 & 18 and they are fine. However I do get the point he made as I have seen it many times. Just shouldn't have been lumped together like that. 

9 minutes ago, the_hammer said:

For most the season I was a 30 handicap, yes I need to practice my short game more, and I play most weekends with a group that includes a 2.4, 6.8, and 16. We move fast to keep pace of play up and all respect the course. I would hope this type of play is not only found at a privet course (currently what I play on) 

Unfortunately it is much more common to see the direct opposite at public courses, I have seen it at privates as well but members are able to police some of it. As with everything people just do what they want to do regardless of how it affects anyone else. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I think it will come down to when their league plays, and how often I'll be able to get there realistically.  Thanks everyone for your feedback.  I'm sure I'll update when the time comes!

So, let me see if I understand this correctly....

It is less than $600 per year for UNLIMITED Golf..  and range? and practice facility? 

Even if you do not play and only practice and hit range balls, that is dirt cheap..

I'm not familiar with the golf economy in Massachusetts, but out west, $600 is few months dues for a Jr Executive.  

If I were in your shoes, and SWMBO was on board, I'd already have signed the paperwork...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Hahaha

So I had put the wrong number in, it’s going to be about $1,100. (I forgot up update that post) which is still really good considering the use of practice facilities and such.

The $600 was their rate if you joined over the summer and is down to like $350 for the rest of the year now. Plus $300 off next year.

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

Hahaha

So I had put the wrong number in, it’s going to be about $1,100. (I forgot up update that post) which is still really good considering the use of practice facilities and such.

The $600 was their rate if you joined over the summer and is down to like $350 for the rest of the year now. Plus $300 off next year.

That is still dirt cheap. I am non equity at a club and I pay $302/mo. And the dues at my club are some of cheapest in the area. Previous club I was at was non equity as well and it was over $500/mo.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

That is still dirt cheap. I am non equity at a club and I pay $302/mo. And the dues at my club are some of cheapest in the area. Previous club I was at was non equity as well and it was over $500/mo.

Agreed! Most other courses in the area near me are 2.5 to 3x that rate. I’d have to play them a ton to be worth it.

I’m trying to figure out if I could play there Monday and Friday morning when I don’t have to drop the kids off at daycare. Even if it’s not a full round or I just hit balls it would swing way in favor of going with the membership.

On 10/2/2019 at 7:40 AM, MattF said:

I hate to say it but Firestone is looking like the best value at the moment.

How often would you be allowed to bring guests?

Right now is a bad time for me and my wife since we have two kids in college and intend to get them through debt-free, but after they are done (maybe after the first is done?), I want to join a club. There are two private clubs within about a mile of my house. One is pretty exclusive (I believe an invite is required), the other less so, but it will come down to bang for the $.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

On 10/2/2019 at 7:40 AM, MattF said:

I hate to say it but Firestone is looking like the best value at the moment.

I don't think you'll have a problem hosting an Ohio Spies get together there. 😊

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

21 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

How often would you be allowed to bring guests?

Right now is a bad time for me and my wife since we have two kids in college and intend to get them through debt-free, but after they are done (maybe after the first is done?), I want to join a club. There are two private clubs within about a mile of my house. One is pretty exclusive (I believe an invite is required), the other less so, but it will come down to bang for the $.

If you have daughter(s) in college, just be prepared; weddings = one year of college. Don't ask how I know. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Just now, tony@CIC said:

If you have daughter(s) in college, just be prepared; weddings = one year of college. Don't ask how I know. 

They are both girls.... 😞 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Two daughters in college now and one more will be in two years.  $ave a$ much a$ po$$ible!

So you can afford your golf habit!