Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Thinking of going (semi-)Private... Pros and Cons?

GolfSpy BOS

45 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

They are both girls.... 😞 

😱! On a positive note you've almost made it through their teenage years 😎

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

How often would you be allowed to bring guests?

There are two private clubs within about a mile of my house. One is pretty exclusive (I believe an invite is required), the other less so, but it will come down to bang for the $.

I don't know but I'll find out on Thursday. 😉

Fairlawn and Portage? Be careful because they nickel and dime you, that's why Firestone is looking like a better bang for the buck...no minimum spend per month/quarter.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

23 minutes ago, MattF said:

Fairlawn and Portage? Be careful because they nickel and dime you, that's why Firestone is looking like a better bang for the buck...no minimum spend per month/quarter.

Rosemont and Fairlawn are the closest to me. Rosemont at least posts their rates online, I have no idea how much Fairlawn or Portage charge (or Firestone, for that matter).

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

Rosemont and Fairlawn are the closest to me. Rosemont at least posts their rates online, I have no idea how much Fairlawn or Portage charge (or Firestone, for that matter).

I looked at Rosemont as well and actually, they're the best value from what I can see. Fairlawn charges you for everything including breathing!

Here's a bit of the email I received from Firestone:

Our Golf Members enjoy full Club privileges, including full access to all Club amenities and unlimited golf on all three courses. We offer individual Resident, Non-Resident (50 miles or more from the Club), Junior Resident (34 and under), Corporate and Social Memberships.

An individual Resident Membership will give you full access to the club and unlimited golf on all three courses (you pay cart fees). Here are the rates: 

Annual dues - $7,000 (we can either prorate for the remainder of the season or charge the annual dues at the time of enrollment)

Annual golf fee - $650 (waived for remainder of 2019) (bag storage, practice range, locker/locker room services and GHIN handicap)

Initiation Fee - $2,500 (as a special offer, we will waive the Initiation Fee and give you TWO book of certificates valued at $1,000 EACH which will give you complimentary guest green fees for all three courses, savings in the Pro Shop, Grille Room and more! ALSO, we will give you complimentary guest green fees on the West Course through May 31, 2020 (restrictions apply).

You can also add our Signature Gold Unlimited benefits to your membership for $600 per year.  With this benefit package, you will receive access to over 300 clubs nationwide where you can enjoy two complimentary green fee rounds every month at each golf and country club (you only pay cart fees; guests would be charged a full guest fee). You will also enjoy two complimentary four course meals each month at all business clubs, plus savings on hotels, rental cars, restaurants, tickets and so much more! 

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

10 minutes ago, MattF said:

I looked at Rosemont as well and actually, they're the best value from what I can see.

I kind of wonder what kind of shape Rosemont is in, financially. I had heard Davey Tree bought them a few years ago and two years ago they had non-prime time tee times on Golf Now for $40 - it wasn't clear whether this was trying to make extra money or a marketing campaign to get people in the door. If it was a marketing campaign, they failed, because there was very little effort to recruit that I saw (a couple emails was about it). Hell, who knows, they may have seen Mike and I coming and decided they wanted nothing to do with us.... 🙂.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

If the math works out, I'd say go for it! I played more golf than I usually would have this season solely because I was a member vs. non-member.

I'm stuck in a similar situation for next year. I got a screaming deal this season because the course allowed me as an "add-on" to my in-laws membership, so I paid only $300 for 35 walking rounds, split between 9/18 holes about evenly. My in-laws aren't renewing, so I'm either stuck paying $625 for a single membership or paying out-of-pocket. Out-of-pocket cost for those 35 rounds is about break-even at that $625 point, so I'm unsure if I want to drop that cash up front or not.

I really like this course, not in the most perfect shape, but the owner genuinely cares about it and is very flexible in allowing me to basically just show up and play before the course is officially open.

How often do you hit range balls, and what do they cost? Having a practice facility membership is amazing as well. I paid $175 this year for unlimited balls at my practice range (normally 35 balls for $6), and had that value covered easily by early June.

As far as private/non-private, my only experience around here has been that private clubs are typically in better shape. All the more reason to join, assuming the cost is right.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

On 10/2/2019 at 12:34 PM, B.Boston said:

Lots of great feedback so far!  To address some of the questions that have been coming up:

1) Economics of it:  Based on this year's rate I'd be paying less for the year than I do for just my league rounds (about 20, 9 hole rounds) at the other course's league rate.  As far as I know, the only additional fee is that I can either get a season cart rental, or pay $10 per round if I want a cart.  This course is VERY walkable and since you're allowed to walk during league play, I probably would. (maybe I need to factor in the price of a nice push cart....)

1b) As far as I know there is no longer a restaurant or proshop minimum, but I would have to verify that.

2) playing other courses:  I have to agree that I enjoy playing many of the courses around.  However, the majority of my rounds come from my week night league.  If i replaced that with a membership here I would be more likely to jump out for a quick round (even if its just 3-4 holes as time permits because it is closer to home and could serve as good practice).  A membership here would not stop me from playing elsewhere on weekends for those rounds.

3) Pace of play:  I hadn't really thought of this, but now that it's been brought up the two times I've played at that course this year we played 9 holes with 3 or 4 people in under 2 hours.  I've had some league matches that we were waiting on each an every shot that lasted nearly 3.5 hours (for 9 holes!!!).  This might be a benefit I had not thought of.

4) It is a 9 hole course, which is fine with me since the majority of my rounds are 9 hole from league play, and it reduces the potential maintenance issues and costs associated with additional land.

5)  Here are some of the benefits:

• Unlimited Golf for Full Members
  • Club Tournaments & Social Events
  •  Impeccably Manicured Course
  • Men and Women Member Leagues
  • Use of Practice Facility
  • Preferred Tee Times

I requested additional information, so hopefully I'll know soon about additional fees or potential adjustments.  I also found out they use a payment plan too, so I could pay for the membership over the course of the season (I think 3 payments).

Quick math shows my league only play costing about $700 ($35 per round), this under 35 membership was less than $600 for the year this year.  It also helps that the finance committee (Read: My Wife) Approves of the idea of the membership (She's great, I know!).

Sounds like a great deal and looks like you've done your due diligence.  I say go for it.  Save a few bucks and making SWMBO happy, win win in my book 😁

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

On 10/1/2019 at 9:36 PM, B.Boston said:

Hey Spies,

I’m hoping to get some feedback from those of you that have experience being members at a private or semi-private club.

There is a course near me that offers a good price on memberships for those under 35. I would not get voting privileges, but get all other benefits the club offers.

I am considering this because I like the course, and it works out to be less expensive than just the rounds I play in my league. I could play in their league and tournaments and they also have a practice area that I would have access too.

It’s closer to home than my league course too!

So, from that list it sounds like a great deal for me... what am I missing? Anyone here ever been a member and regretted it? What sort of things should I be looking for?

Also looking for a spot where we can have some general private vs public discussion. I think this is a good spot for it, but Mods feel free to move if I should have placed this in a different spot in the forums.

IMG_6168.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My course is public but I have a membership which gives me access to the league and other fun stuff. I personally love it because you can get out go play and not worry about finishing a round if your'e busy or something comes up during the week. The weekly tournaments are nice and the members are great. 

The the two things I'd look for is how the members are (whether or not you can meet people and feel welcomed) and then two whether they have any rules or restrictions for non voting members. (my course limits morning rounds on weekends, so I have to go full membership)

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

On 10/2/2019 at 7:40 AM, MattF said:

I'd do it. I was fortunate to have a public course offer a 2 year deal last year for an unbelievably low price and I jumped on it. But, when the membership expires at the end of next year, I can't see myself not joining another club. In fact, I'm already looking at memberships for various clubs now and I hate to say it but Firestone is looking like the best value at the moment.

Firestone?? Hmmmm...keep in mind you have lots of really good friends here at MGS 😁

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

On 10/3/2019 at 12:52 PM, B.Boston said:

I think it will come down to when their league plays, and how often I'll be able to get there realistically.  Thanks everyone for your feedback.  I'm sure I'll update when the time comes!

Best of luck with the process. 

Driver:    :taylormade-small:  M2 9.5°

3 Wood:  :taylormade-small: Jetspeed

Irons:      :taylormade-small: RocketBallz 

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Mill Grind 2 50° - Tour Preferred EF 54° & 60°

Putter:    :taylormade-small: Ghost Tour Black Maranello

Ball :        :titelist-small:  ProV1

15 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Firestone?? Hmmmm...keep in mind you have lots of really good friends here at MGS 😁

Yes, Firestone. But, Windmill sounds like they're going to have another membership deal, but nowhere near as cheap as my current one.

In the bag:

Bag: 

The OP's deal sounds like it's too good to be true, even at $1.1K/year.  Here in central VA, the cheapest place I can belong is our First Tee's executive (4600 yard par 66) course at $199/month for a family membership.  No point in joining since I'm a volunteer coach and my daughter is in the programs, so we both get inexpensive access to the facility.  Next cheapest place is a decent course for $215/month, but it's just far enough away to be inconvenient for a quick nine.  

I used to belong to a private club, and I really enjoyed it, but I always felt terrible about playing anywhere else, and I played so little in the winter months that the economics didn't work out.  Also, it was an equity club, and I was terrified of an assessment.

One of the greatest things about having a membership (private, semiprivate, public with all-you-can-play) is that going out and playing 4 or 5 holes after work is economically viable.  More public courses need to follow the lead of Canal Shores outside Chicago and have a reduced rate for a 4-6 hole loop.  Unless a course's 9 hole rate is next to nothing, people won't come out and play less than 9.  And courses are losing a ton of revenue to driving ranges and to people giving up the game because they don't have time to play.  Even if people don't have time for 9, they're likely to have an hour to play 4 holes every week, and that keeps them interested between infrequent 18 hole rounds.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 10/9/2019 at 7:37 AM, MattF said:

Yes, Firestone. But, Windmill sounds like they're going to have another membership deal, but nowhere near as cheap as my current one.

Dang, I was so hoping there might be a spies event there next year! 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

The OP's deal sounds like it's too good to be true, even at $1.1K/year.  Here in central VA, the cheapest place I can belong is our First Tee's executive (4600 yard par 66) course at $199/month for a family membership.  No point in joining since I'm a volunteer coach and my daughter is in the programs, so we both get inexpensive access to the facility.  Next cheapest place is a decent course for $215/month, but it's just far enough away to be inconvenient for a quick nine.  
I used to belong to a private club, and I really enjoyed it, but I always felt terrible about playing anywhere else, and I played so little in the winter months that the economics didn't work out.  Also, it was an equity club, and I was terrified of an assessment.
One of the greatest things about having a membership (private, semiprivate, public with all-you-can-play) is that going out and playing 4 or 5 holes after work is economically viable.  More public courses need to follow the lead of Canal Shores outside Chicago and have a reduced rate for a 4-6 hole loop.  Unless a course's 9 hole rate is next to nothing, people won't come out and play less than 9.  And courses are losing a ton of revenue to driving ranges and to people giving up the game because they don't have time to play.  Even if people don't have time for 9, they're likely to have an hour to play 4 holes every week, and that keeps them interested between infrequent 18 hole rounds.

It does should too good to be true!

Not sure If I had mentioned it before, but the season long cart pass is an additional 1000 which bring it’s pretty close to other memberships in the area which are $2500 ish vs this as $2100. Difference is the course is VERY walkable with no real long walks between holes. I played it twice this year walking 9 and it was less than 2 hours both times. I’d save the $1000 and get myself a nice push cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 10/13/2019 at 8:59 AM, B.Boston said:

It does should too good to be true!

Not sure If I had mentioned it before, but the season long cart pass is an additional 1000 which bring it’s pretty close to other memberships in the area which are $2500 ish vs this as $2100. Difference is the course is VERY walkable with no real long walks between holes. I played it twice this year walking 9 and it was less than 2 hours both times. I’d save the $1000 and get myself a nice push cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carts are additional at both courses I mentioned as well. So still a phenomenal deal compared to where I live. 

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino