B.Boston

Thinking of going (semi-)Private... Pros and Cons?

15 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Firestone?? Hmmmm...keep in mind you have lots of really good friends here at MGS 😁

Yes, Firestone. But, Windmill sounds like they're going to have another membership deal, but nowhere near as cheap as my current one.

• Like 1

The OP's deal sounds like it's too good to be true, even at $1.1K/year.  Here in central VA, the cheapest place I can belong is our First Tee's executive (4600 yard par 66) course at $199/month for a family membership.  No point in joining since I'm a volunteer coach and my daughter is in the programs, so we both get inexpensive access to the facility.  Next cheapest place is a decent course for $215/month, but it's just far enough away to be inconvenient for a quick nine.  

I used to belong to a private club, and I really enjoyed it, but I always felt terrible about playing anywhere else, and I played so little in the winter months that the economics didn't work out.  Also, it was an equity club, and I was terrified of an assessment.

One of the greatest things about having a membership (private, semiprivate, public with all-you-can-play) is that going out and playing 4 or 5 holes after work is economically viable.  More public courses need to follow the lead of Canal Shores outside Chicago and have a reduced rate for a 4-6 hole loop.  Unless a course's 9 hole rate is next to nothing, people won't come out and play less than 9.  And courses are losing a ton of revenue to driving ranges and to people giving up the game because they don't have time to play.  Even if people don't have time for 9, they're likely to have an hour to play 4 holes every week, and that keeps them interested between infrequent 18 hole rounds.

• Like 3

On 10/9/2019 at 7:37 AM, MattF said:

Yes, Firestone. But, Windmill sounds like they're going to have another membership deal, but nowhere near as cheap as my current one.

Dang, I was so hoping there might be a spies event there next year! 

• Like 1

The OP's deal sounds like it's too good to be true, even at $1.1K/year.  Here in central VA, the cheapest place I can belong is our First Tee's executive (4600 yard par 66) course at $199/month for a family membership.  No point in joining since I'm a volunteer coach and my daughter is in the programs, so we both get inexpensive access to the facility.  Next cheapest place is a decent course for $215/month, but it's just far enough away to be inconvenient for a quick nine.  
I used to belong to a private club, and I really enjoyed it, but I always felt terrible about playing anywhere else, and I played so little in the winter months that the economics didn't work out.  Also, it was an equity club, and I was terrified of an assessment.
One of the greatest things about having a membership (private, semiprivate, public with all-you-can-play) is that going out and playing 4 or 5 holes after work is economically viable.  More public courses need to follow the lead of Canal Shores outside Chicago and have a reduced rate for a 4-6 hole loop.  Unless a course's 9 hole rate is next to nothing, people won't come out and play less than 9.  And courses are losing a ton of revenue to driving ranges and to people giving up the game because they don't have time to play.  Even if people don't have time for 9, they're likely to have an hour to play 4 holes every week, and that keeps them interested between infrequent 18 hole rounds.

It does should too good to be true!

Not sure If I had mentioned it before, but the season long cart pass is an additional 1000 which bring it’s pretty close to other memberships in the area which are $2500 ish vs this as $2100. Difference is the course is VERY walkable with no real long walks between holes. I played it twice this year walking 9 and it was less than 2 hours both times. I’d save the $1000 and get myself a nice push cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

On 10/13/2019 at 8:59 AM, B.Boston said:

It does should too good to be true!

Not sure If I had mentioned it before, but the season long cart pass is an additional 1000 which bring it’s pretty close to other memberships in the area which are $2500 ish vs this as $2100. Difference is the course is VERY walkable with no real long walks between holes. I played it twice this year walking 9 and it was less than 2 hours both times. I’d save the $1000 and get myself a nice push cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carts are additional at both courses I mentioned as well. So still a phenomenal deal compared to where I live. 

• Like 2