TESTERS WANTED! ×

Chisag's Mini Putter Tip

... Played with a guy that wanted to know why I putt with the ball almost at my front foot. I told him I am left eye dominant and he did not know what I was talking about. Do yourself a favor and find out which eye is your dominant eye. If you are left eye dominant, move your ball position closer to your front foot so you will not be looking backwards. You should also experiment with the ball just outside your eye line which may or may not be better for you. If you are right eye dominant, you should have a neutral ball position so you are not looking forward. I had students improve instantly by moving their ball position after finding their dominant eye. You probably already know which eye is dominant by which eye you look thru when using your range finder. If you don't know your dominant eye, the test below will help you find your dominant eye:

https://www.allaboutvision.com/resources/dominant-eye-test.htm

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Played with a guy that wanted to know why I putt with the ball almost at my front foot. I told him I am left eye dominant and he did not know what I was talking about. Do yourself a favor and find out which eye is your dominant eye. If you are left eye dominant, move your ball position closer to your front foot so you will not be looking backwards. You should also experiment with the ball just outside your eye line which may or may not be better for you. If you are right eye dominant, you should have a neutral ball position so you are not looking forward. I had students improve instantly by moving their ball position after finding their dominant eye. You probably already know which eye is dominant by which eye you look thru when using your range finder. If you don't know your dominant eye, the test below will help you find your dominant eye:

I've heard multiple times from several really good putters (Faxon, Nicklaus, etc.) that no good putter they have ever seen had the ball inside their eye line.  Either outside or even with.

Something I've experimented with and found to be very true.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I am left eye dominate as well and over the years at times I struggle with alignment. Re positioning and checking eye position usually gets me right back to where I need to be.  

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

This is a good tip.  I use a putting mirror for practice & it works well with the eyeline drill.  I just need to use it more on the actual green instead of at home 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Played with a guy that wanted to know why I putt with the ball almost at my front foot. I told him I am left eye dominant

Yep, same here. First learned this in a lesson several years ago; I try to line the ball up using my big toe (left/forward foot, of course) as a "marker". Feel it helps me get the putter face fully square and facing down the line.

@chisag or anyone else knowledgeable:
If you're right-handed and left-eye dominant, is there a certain style of putter that may .. in general, and for the moment discounting putting stroke type .. be a better fit for me? For example - heel vs center shaft? Face balanced vs toe hang? Alignment line on top vs on the flange? etc.....

Thanks!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

... Played with a guy that wanted to know why I putt with the ball almost at my front foot.

I'd bet you're a good putter chisag. But, I'd like to ask how long you've putted the way you do now? Have you always been a good putter? Did making a change employing your dominate eye and ball forward change things for you? Were you a poor putter before making the change? My bet is your putting has always been pretty solid regardless.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

4 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I'd bet you're a good putter chisag. But, I'd like to ask how long you've putted the way you do now? Have you always been a good putter? Did making a change employing your dominate eye and ball forward change things for you? Were you a poor putter before making the change? My bet is your putting has always been pretty solid regardless.

... Putting is one of the strongest parts of my game and I have always naturally been a good putter, but when I first started playing I  missed way too many short putts. I watched a video of Ben Crenshaw and saw he had the ball forward in his stance and used a blade putter. I switched from my Anser putter to an 8802 with the ball more forward and about 2" outside my eye line and I began making my short putts. I had no idea at the time I was left eye dominant and that was the reason my short putting improved. Geometry tells us if you are looking back with your front eye, the line of eye to ball to hole changes. Moving it just in front of my dominant eye made the line easier to read and execute. I really just got lucky because I could have tried to emulate a right eye dominant putter and would have continued to struggle with my short putts. 

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

When I did the Evnroll forum testing, we had the pleasure of being fit over the phone by the legendary Guerin Rife.  The very first question he asked me was about eye dominance. 

Did he give any explanation on what style putter or alignment aid would be beneficial to you based on your eye dominance?

I am left eye dominant and find I do better with alignment if it has a line on the topline of the putter.  So many only have a line behind the topline near the bottom.  Now whether I can get the ball on that line...we will have to try Chisag's tip to see if I can improve on that.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Yep, same here. First learned this in a lesson several years ago; I try to line the ball up using my big toe (left/forward foot, of course) as a "marker". Feel it helps me get the putter face fully square and facing down the line.

@chisag or anyone else knowledgeable:
If you're right-handed and left-eye dominant, is there a certain style of putter that may .. in general, and for the moment discounting putting stroke type .. be a better fit for me? For example - heel vs center shaft? Face balanced vs toe hang? Alignment line on top vs on the flange? etc.....

Thanks!

... Pretty simple really but we tend to make so much about this game complicated. My gut tells me more open-close gate style putters are left eye dominant and right eye dominant putters might be more straight back straight thru. But that is just an educated guess. Putter style with toe hang depends on your type of stroke so open close more toe hang and heel shafted and straight back straight thru more face balanced and typical plumbers neck shafted.

... Alignment aids depends on how you see the line. Do you see it just like hitting an iron or hockey stick with the face perpendicular to the line? Or do you see it more like a pool cue with a line straight back and straight thru your putter? The former usually like no alignment aid, a dot on the top line or a painted line on the flange parallel to the face, and also most prefer to putt without markings on their ball. I think these putters tend to be more feel oriented.  The later usually prefer a line thru the topline or the flange and an alignment aid that mirrors the line on their putter straight thru to the hole. I think these type of putters are more technical in their approach. 

42 minutes ago, romeopapazulu said:

Did he give any explanation on what style putter or alignment aid would be beneficial to you based on your eye dominance?

I am left eye dominant and find I do better with alignment if it has a line on the topline of the putter.  So many only have a line behind the topline near the bottom.  Now whether I can get the ball on that line...we will have to try Chisag's tip to see if I can improve on that.

For him it wasn't about the alignment aid on the putter, it was more about understanding how tall I was, what eye dominance I was, my ball position and amount of forward press to get an understanding of how I setup to the putt and delivered the putter through the ball to ensure he could recommend the correct lie and loft.

... Putting is one of the strongest parts of my game and I have always naturally been a good putter

Same here chisag. However, I think I'll try your suggestion and just see. I don't have to make any adjustment to my grip or stance so I like that. 

My natural and comfortable stance/address is  - I'm slightly open with the ball just inside my left heel a tad. Interesting discussion. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Chisag just to clarify, you're saying ball position should be under your dominant eye(?). Based on that, as a lefty and left eye dominant that would mean the ball position is adjacent to my left foot (us lefty's always have to translate stuff). What makes putting more difficult is that I wear progressive lenses which slightly distort the line standing over the ball.

Next time I'm out, I'm going to try lining up the ball with my left eye (without my glasses on) then closing my right eye to make the putt.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

2 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Chisag just to clarify, you're saying ball position should be under your dominant eye(?). Based on that, as a lefty and left eye dominant that would mean the ball position is adjacent to my left foot (us lefty's always have to translate stuff). What makes putting more difficult is that I wear progressive lenses which slightly distort the line standing over the ball.

Next time I'm out, I'm going to try lining up the ball with my left eye (without my glasses on) then closing my right eye to make the putt.

... Tony, I actually like to see the ball just a little in front of your dominant eye. So rear eye dominant start in the middle of your stance with weight evenly distributed and front eye dominant closer to your front foot with the weight slightly on your front foot. I like it slightly in front of your dominant eye because you are looking at the ball down the line instead of right on top of it. 

. I like it slightly in front of your dominant eye because you are looking at the ball down the line instead of right on top of it. 

Ok that makes sense - I'll give it a try - thx

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I performed both simple eye dominance tests in your link and find I am neutral.  If one eye is more dominant it is too close for me to tell.  Hoping I could find an easy fix to take a couple less putts per round.  Ball will remain in the middle of my stance.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

• 2 years later...
On 10/3/2019 at 11:24 AM, chisag said:

On 10/3/2019 at 2:29 PM, chisag said:

... Putting is one of the strongest parts of my game and I have always naturally been a good putter, but when I first started playing I  missed way too many short putts. I watched a video of Ben Crenshaw and saw he had the ball forward in his stance and used a blade putter. I switched from my Anser putter to an 8802 with the ball more forward and about 2" outside my eye line and I began making my short putts. I had no idea at the time I was left eye dominant and that was the reason my short putting improved. Geometry tells us if you are looking back with your front eye, the line of eye to ball to hole changes. Moving it just in front of my dominant eye made the line easier to read and execute. I really just got lucky because I could have tried to emulate a right eye dominant putter and would have continued to struggle with my short putts. 

On 10/3/2019 at 3:27 PM, chisag said:

... Pretty simple really but we tend to make so much about this game complicated. My gut tells me more open-close gate style putters are left eye dominant and right eye dominant putters might be more straight back straight thru. But that is just an educated guess. Putter style with toe hang depends on your type of stroke so open close more toe hang and heel shafted and straight back straight thru more face balanced and typical plumbers neck shafted.

... Alignment aids depends on how you see the line. Do you see it just like hitting an iron or hockey stick with the face perpendicular to the line? Or do you see it more like a pool cue with a line straight back and straight thru your putter? The former usually like no alignment aid, a dot on the top line or a painted line on the flange parallel to the face, and also most prefer to putt without markings on their ball. I think these putters tend to be more feel oriented.  The later usually prefer a line thru the topline or the flange and an alignment aid that mirrors the line on their putter straight thru to the hole. I think these type of putters are more technical in their approach. 

first off - love the rangefinder tip from @chisag. That’s a lot simpler than what i was doing for a half an hour yesterday, watching youtube and holding my hands in front of my face and blinking. I eventually figured it out but if I had realized that of course you use your dominant eye through the rangefinder, I would have saved myself a lot of frustration. 

So now I know that I’m a right handed right eye dominant putter.  

I scoured youtube looking for the answer to, how should I set up given this new information. The first two videos are pretty succinct, and the last is a putting lesson from 2011 PGA Teacher Of The Year Mike Malaska. I’m really just trying to figure out how I should set up to putt to be able to aim correctly, and specifically where the  ball needs to be positioned in my stance. Especially as I’m currently having a LAB Golf putter built for me, I’m really hoping I didn’t waste that money by ordering it before I understood what I needed. I have emailed LAB about these concerns and I’m currently waiting on a response. The thing I’m concerned about is that with the DF, it’s recommended by Sam Hahn that the ball be positioned forward in your setup in order to get a good roll with a putter that is center shafted well behind the leading edge, which seems contrary to what some suggest is appropriate for right handed right eye dominant putters, which is :

1 - to have the ball in the center of your stance, or, with your right eye over the ball on the target line

and

2 - on the line perpendicular to the target, have your eye positioned such that you can see straight down your target line, avoiding left/right aim, as demonstrated by using the three balls 9 feet apart drill found in the how to train your aim video below.

I’ve always struggled to aim correctly, so much so that I didn’t become a good putter until I quit looking at the ball and aim by feel and looking at my target on impact. Putting this way, I don’t care about anything but my line, my speed, and whether or not I am launching my putts on the line I intend, which I do, just about every time now. My setup was honed over covid with relentless,  obsessive practice until I could trust the quality of my strike without looking at the ball, and to get the ball to launch on my intended line, just about every time. 

I realize this is a complicated topic, but I welcome and give thanks for any input. Also, how awesome is Mr. Mulaska?!?!

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability