Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Your ball?

LoganT

Snell MTB-X .... top notch ball at a great price.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

TP5X for the last two years. Longer, lower spin, and light off the putter face. However, I recently bought Mizuno RBZ tours and itching to give them a try.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I recently got fitted for the TP5x and got a complimentary 2 ball sleeve. The first day out I noticed a small cut on the ball and the cover was separating from the ball. WTH?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra F8(10.5*) w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(17.0*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid; Ben Hogan PTx 5-PW w/Recoil 460 graphite shafts; Ben Hogan TKt Gw(49*) SW(53*) LW(57*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Tommy Armour Impact #3 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

31 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

I recently got fitted for the TP5x and got a complimentary 2 ball sleeve. The first day out I noticed a small cut on the ball and the cover was separating from the ball. WTH?

Cobra F8(10.5*) w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(17.0*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid; Ben Hogan PTx 5-PW w/Recoil 460 graphite shafts; Ben Hogan TKt Gw(49*) SW(53*) LW(57*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Tommy Armour Impact #3 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

I'd take a pic of it & blast it all over social media to TM.  They may give you more balls to try 🙂 

Defective batch?  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Snell MTB-X because I tested the original MTB and have not looked at another brand since.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Currently playing Srixon Z-Star, based primarily on the MGS ball test results and one of the useful spreadsheets put together by someone here that would rank balls based on individual criteria/weighting. @MattF also gave me a bunch of MTB Blacks after he switched to the MTB-X, which I played quite a bit this summer, but, alas, they are all gone now. When it comes time to buy more, it'll be a tough choice between the Z-Star, MTB Black, and MTB-X.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

21 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

Is the forum becoming obsessed with golf balls? LOL Seems like not a day goes by without a new or resurrected ball post/thread. Cutting balls in half is the thing these days. When are we going to begin sawing irons in half and start analyzing the metallurgy?  Who wants to go first and show the photos? 

I'd like to know what type of shoe laces (already discussed I know)  you use and do you get more distance or spin around the green with them. Do the number of belt loops on your pants/shorts increase or decrease putts per round? Wasn't there a golfer recently who wears his shirt backwards and instantly knocked 5 shots off his round. I'm told he's thinking of reversing his pants as this might get him to scratch. Sounds like stuff for an in-depth investigation and review if ax me.

TGIF everyone! 🏌️‍♂️

I currently am playing the Srixon Q Star, because I like to play a ball that not very many players play, so as to avoid someone hitting my ball, or me playing the wrong ball.  My currently batch are personalized so it would be pretty hard for someone else to hit it.  When I run out of this batch I have several dozen Srixon Z Star waiting to be abused, also personalized.

Once I am done with all of these Srixon I just brought home four dozen ProV1 from the pro shop of the local muni where I had $185 in credit with them for placing in a tournament recently.  I will mark the crap out of them so no one hits it by mistake, or I hit the wrong ball, or any other such nonsense as that.

Whenever I run through all of these balls and if I ever get low and need to actually buy more golf balls, I will be hitting the Snell MTB-X, if it's still available when the time comes.  I'm as cost conscious as anyone, so if I can save a few bucks on a premium ball, that's how I'll go.

With regards to @PlaidJacket  I can cut open a golf ball with a basic vice and saw pretty easily and without much effort.  Cutting into an iron wouldn't be something I'd be willing to attempt or even consider.  As to why all of the discussion on balls.  Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I've been doing a lot of research from all of these ball tests that have recently been completed, so as to make the most intelligent decision on bringing more golf balls home for future play.  I ended up getting four dozen ProV1x, because that was the best available option at the pro shop of the local muni where I had all of the credit.  But if my own money is on the line, again, I'll be hitting Snell up for some MTB-X balls.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

3 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I'd like to know what type of shoe laces (already discussed I know)  you use and do you get more distance or spin around the green with them. Lock Laces, more spin. Do the number of belt loops on your pants/shorts increase or decrease putts per round? Increase unfortunately. I'm looking for a new pair. 

🤣

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

9 minutes ago, silver & black said:

ProV1x from Lost Golf Balls,

good idea. But... have your cut one in half yet? LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

My preference leans toward the Srixon Z Star XV, and is the ball I'll play most of the time. They're long, consistent, and have great spin. Right now I've got some Bridgestone Tour B X in the bag that I found in my local pro shop at a good price. I'm pretty much a ball ho, having played Titleist, Snell, Wilson, Callaway, to name a few. I'm pretty budget conscious so a lot of times I'll pick up recycled balls just to try out different brands.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Im not surprised. The only con to the TP5x from my experience is durability. My first time gaming them, I discovered that after I overcooked a tee shot and on my second shot my ball clipped a small tree branch. I didnt notice the balls outter layer tore like nothing ive ever seen and ive hit my share of cart paths and tree trunks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 10/4/2019 at 5:20 AM, golfinnut said:

I'd take a pic of it & blast it all over social media to TM.  They may give you more balls to try 🙂 

Defective batch?  

I'd contact them directly and give them a chance to respond before public shaming.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Mostly ProV1's and Callaway CS... but will soon be hitting and rolling some Maxfli's, so that could change.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Wilson Duo usuaully.  Sometimes I will play the Wilson 50 Elite when they are on sale though.  I like the soft feel and performance of the Duo.  I find that it gives me a nice high flight and has a good feel around the green.  It obviously wont spin like a Pro V but its not a rock either.

Im sure that I do lose a bit of distance with how soft it is but Im really more about feel and control than I am all-out distance anyways.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I started my wedge fitting at Club Champion yesterday using Srixon XV, which is what they had in the bay. I had pulled all three types of Titleist balls out of my bag to try during the fitting. As soon as I switched to Pro V1X, ball speed, smash, and carry all went up significantly over the XVs. I tried the new Exp 01 ball, and the Pro V, and discovered that the best ball for me was Pro V1X. I’ll be buying a BUNCH of these when the 4 for 3 sale hits this fall, or next spring!
The numbers were truly eye opening, and the fitter, who doesn’t believe the ball test MGS did, finally opened his eyes to the difference a ball makes.
It’s a shame a customer wakes-up a fitter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

It’s a shame a customer wakes-up a fitter!

Really makes you question the quality of the fitting.
There are So many variables that can impact a club fitting with the ball being one of the simplest to
Change. It
Isn’t about whether he believed the MGS ball test; it is simply that all balls perform differently which is why manufacturers make different balls.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Prov1 or 1x because it’s what I prefer over the rest of the tour balls and they are both a company that controls/owns everything related to the ball manufacturing and assembly and they are made in usa.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I've played the Srixon Z*stars this year.  I like the feel of the ball and when I went to a ball fitting with TM's ball earlier this summer, there wasn't much difference in distance and spin when I compared the two on a launch monitor side by side. I'm not a good enough golfer to detect the different nuisances between balls so I hit them and see what I like.  Now if one ball gives me an extra 20 yards off the tee, well then that one I'll obviously go in the bag😁

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Played the GolfJet Jet 4 (4-piece urethane) this summer.  Mainly decided to try them because they were $19.95 a dozen, they must have been on sale because the price has since gone up.  Played my best three games ever with them, though I had also been working a lot on my swing so I'm sure that contributed too.  When I put a good swing on it they flew high and straight and seemed to have good green stopping power, and nice soft feel off wedges and putter.  I have some Snell's and Z-Stars to try out when the GolfJet supply runs out.    

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 10.5* Helium Shaft

Woods: :taylormade-small: R580 5W, 7W

Hybrids: Nicklaus Dual Point 4H

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback One Length 6i - PW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact 3

Bag: :Ogio: Grom 14-way stand bag

Ball: GolfJet Jet 4

Rangefinder: NX7 Pro or ShotScope V2

My favorite ball is the Mizuno RB Tour but their durability is flat-out awful.

Played the Duo-Professional extensively and was moderately surprised by how much I like them. Liked the Duo-U too but couldn't hold greens with mid-irons. Not an issue at all with the Duo-Pro.

Currently testing out the Z-Star and Tour B X and love them both. Moderately surprising to me because I didn't at all get along with their family members being the XV and Tour B XS.

B X is longer (5yds on average, I'd say), higher and just a bit straighter off the tee than the Z-Star for me. But the Z-Star is better wrt the wind and spins more around the greens. Z-Star is also way more durable. No real damage to the B X but it scuffs very easily and looks war torn through just half the round. Z-Star appears as new unless it hits something hard, other than a golf club.

Z-Star also feels very soft off chips and the putter. B X isn't harsh but it is noticeably firmer.

Over 4 rounds now in varying conditions, I seem to play just as well (or as poorly) with either ball. I'll continue playing both for a while because I enjoy them both along with their slight differences. But if forced to pick one, I am leaning toward the Z-Star.

My favorite ball is the Mizuno RB Tour but their durability is flat-out awful.

Played the Duo-Professional extensively and was moderately surprised by how much I like them. Liked the Duo-U too but couldn't hold greens with mid-irons. Not an issue at all with the Duo-Pro.

Currently testing out the Z-Star and Tour B X and love them both. Moderately surprising to me because I didn't at all get along with their family members being the XV and Tour B XS.

B X is longer (5yds on average, I'd say), higher and just a bit straighter off the tee than the Z-Star for me. But the Z-Star is better wrt the wind and spins more around the greens. Z-Star is also way more durable. No real damage to the B X but it scuffs very easily and looks war torn through just half the round. Z-Star appears as new unless it hits something hard, other than a golf club.

Z-Star also feels very soft off chips and the putter. B X isn't harsh but it is noticeably firmer.

Over 4 rounds now in varying conditions, I seem to play just as well (or as poorly) with either ball. I'll continue playing both for a while because I enjoy them both along with their slight differences. But if forced to pick one, I am leaning toward the Z-Star.
The Duo Professional is a really good ball, imo. I prefer the Z Star XV, mainly for the driver distance and spin, but the Duo Professional was great off the irons and a pleasure to hit. I also LOVED the matte yellow, it really stands out and looks less gaudy than most yellow balls. I could easily see myself playing them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I tend to stick with 2 or 3 piece balls, mostly because I'm still bad enough to lose a handful (or more) per round and I don't like wasting $12+ of premium balls in the woods. I don't spin a ball at all with my swing speed either, so I play a lot of bump & runs anyways.

I prefer the Q Star Tour, however I'm fine with playing balls like the Duo and the Softfli. Yes, I know what the ball test showed, however for me, I know how those types of balls play and I seem to do well with them. My best scores all came with the Softfli. 

I wish Bridgestone hadn't messed with the E6, because that ball was great for me. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I have played almost every brand around. Many years ago I noted ProV1x was particularly good for me. I didn't trusted my guess as it was marketed and used by pro's and high speed swing players which I'm not. Last year ans a half I played the Snell's Red, Black and in my last sleeve of the X. I'll set in with the MTB-X going forward but first I'll test Kirkland 3-piece, tow boxes in the garage since begining of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been playing the Titleist DT Trusoft the last couple of years and will play the Wilson 50/50 when the leaves start falling and balls will disappear in the leaves. They both perform the same off the driver for me but the Trusoft is much better around the green. I’ve tried better balls but I play between 14-17 handicap so I can lose a fair amount of balls so I settled on the Trusoft because I feel I get the best bang for the buck.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

• 2 months later...

I play Wilson Staff Fifty Elite Golf Balls

This balls benefits are:

Better ball flight which you can always get with low dimples as air can push more inside.
Air penetration and speed are added aerodynamic features giving a superior advantage.
The softest ball in this category, so you get a softer feel with these balls.
The softer feeling is well balanced with the distance it can cover.
It’s durable and lasts longer. So your miss-hits and hard hits are not punished.

But few problems are here:

Low spin requires more control in the greens especially. For beginners its quite hard.
Can be hard to hit with a putter as balls roll off fast.
Shots made from sand bunkers can cause damage to the ball.

My review: https://www.niftygolf.com/balls/

Nifty Golf is an effort of our expert team members who have been researching the latest technologies and products around the present golf industry. Browse more to read our reviews.