LoganT

Your ball?

Our Sponsors

It’s a shame a customer wakes-up a fitter!

Really makes you question the quality of the fitting.
There are So many variables that can impact a club fitting with the ball being one of the simplest to
Change. It
Isn’t about whether he believed the MGS ball test; it is simply that all balls perform differently which is why manufacturers make different balls.
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Prov1 or 1x because it’s what I prefer over the rest of the tour balls and they are both a company that controls/owns everything related to the ball manufacturing and assembly and they are made in usa.

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I've played the Srixon Z*stars this year.  I like the feel of the ball and when I went to a ball fitting with TM's ball earlier this summer, there wasn't much difference in distance and spin when I compared the two on a launch monitor side by side. I'm not a good enough golfer to detect the different nuisances between balls so I hit them and see what I like.  Now if one ball gives me an extra 20 yards off the tee, well then that one I'll obviously go in the bag😁

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver:  :cobra-small: F8 10.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag:  :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing:

:skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Played the GolfJet Jet 4 (4-piece urethane) this summer.  Mainly decided to try them because they were $19.95 a dozen, they must have been on sale because the price has since gone up.  Played my best three games ever with them, though I had also been working a lot on my swing so I'm sure that contributed too.  When I put a good swing on it they flew high and straight and seemed to have good green stopping power, and nice soft feel off wedges and putter.  I have some Snell's and Z-Stars to try out when the GolfJet supply runs out.    

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 10.5* Helium Shaft

Woods: :taylormade-small: R580 5W, 7W

Hybrids: Nicklaus Dual Point 4H

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback One Length 6i - PW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact 3

Bag: :Ogio: Grom 14-way stand bag

Ball: GolfJet Jet 4

Rangefinder: NX7 Pro or ShotScope V2

My favorite ball is the Mizuno RB Tour but their durability is flat-out awful.

Played the Duo-Professional extensively and was moderately surprised by how much I like them. Liked the Duo-U too but couldn't hold greens with mid-irons. Not an issue at all with the Duo-Pro.

Currently testing out the Z-Star and Tour B X and love them both. Moderately surprising to me because I didn't at all get along with their family members being the XV and Tour B XS.

B X is longer (5yds on average, I'd say), higher and just a bit straighter off the tee than the Z-Star for me. But the Z-Star is better wrt the wind and spins more around the greens. Z-Star is also way more durable. No real damage to the B X but it scuffs very easily and looks war torn through just half the round. Z-Star appears as new unless it hits something hard, other than a golf club.

Z-Star also feels very soft off chips and the putter. B X isn't harsh but it is noticeably firmer.

Over 4 rounds now in varying conditions, I seem to play just as well (or as poorly) with either ball. I'll continue playing both for a while because I enjoy them both along with their slight differences. But if forced to pick one, I am leaning toward the Z-Star.

• Like 1

My favorite ball is the Mizuno RB Tour but their durability is flat-out awful.

Played the Duo-Professional extensively and was moderately surprised by how much I like them. Liked the Duo-U too but couldn't hold greens with mid-irons. Not an issue at all with the Duo-Pro.

Currently testing out the Z-Star and Tour B X and love them both. Moderately surprising to me because I didn't at all get along with their family members being the XV and Tour B XS.

B X is longer (5yds on average, I'd say), higher and just a bit straighter off the tee than the Z-Star for me. But the Z-Star is better wrt the wind and spins more around the greens. Z-Star is also way more durable. No real damage to the B X but it scuffs very easily and looks war torn through just half the round. Z-Star appears as new unless it hits something hard, other than a golf club.

Z-Star also feels very soft off chips and the putter. B X isn't harsh but it is noticeably firmer.

Over 4 rounds now in varying conditions, I seem to play just as well (or as poorly) with either ball. I'll continue playing both for a while because I enjoy them both along with their slight differences. But if forced to pick one, I am leaning toward the Z-Star.
The Duo Professional is a really good ball, imo. I prefer the Z Star XV, mainly for the driver distance and spin, but the Duo Professional was great off the irons and a pleasure to hit. I also LOVED the matte yellow, it really stands out and looks less gaudy than most yellow balls. I could easily see myself playing them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I tend to stick with 2 or 3 piece balls, mostly because I'm still bad enough to lose a handful (or more) per round and I don't like wasting $12+ of premium balls in the woods. I don't spin a ball at all with my swing speed either, so I play a lot of bump & runs anyways.

I prefer the Q Star Tour, however I'm fine with playing balls like the Duo and the Softfli. Yes, I know what the ball test showed, however for me, I know how those types of balls play and I seem to do well with them. My best scores all came with the Softfli. 

I wish Bridgestone hadn't messed with the E6, because that ball was great for me. 

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

I have played almost every brand around. Many years ago I noted ProV1x was particularly good for me. I didn't trusted my guess as it was marketed and used by pro's and high speed swing players which I'm not. Last year ans a half I played the Snell's Red, Black and in my last sleeve of the X. I'll set in with the MTB-X going forward but first I'll test Kirkland 3-piece, tow boxes in the garage since begining of the year.

I’ve been playing the Titleist DT Trusoft the last couple of years and will play the Wilson 50/50 when the leaves start falling and balls will disappear in the leaves. They both perform the same off the driver for me but the Trusoft is much better around the green. I’ve tried better balls but I play between 14-17 handicap so I can lose a fair amount of balls so I settled on the Trusoft because I feel I get the best bang for the buck.

D- Cobra F7

3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16

Hybrid- Cobra F8 19 degree 

Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW

Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50,54,58

Putter- Tour Edge Hp Nickkel Chrome Series 1

Ball- Titleist DT Trusoft 

I play Wilson Staff Fifty Elite Golf Balls

This balls benefits are:

Better ball flight which you can always get with low dimples as air can push more inside.
Air penetration and speed are added aerodynamic features giving a superior advantage.
The softest ball in this category, so you get a softer feel with these balls.
The softer feeling is well balanced with the distance it can cover.
It’s durable and lasts longer. So your miss-hits and hard hits are not punished.

But few problems are here:

Low spin requires more control in the greens especially. For beginners its quite hard.
Can be hard to hit with a putter as balls roll off fast.
Shots made from sand bunkers can cause damage to the ball.

My review: https://www.niftygolf.com/balls/

Nifty Golf is an effort of our expert team members who have been researching the latest technologies and products around the present golf industry. Browse more to read our reviews.

I've experimented with different brands and different quality balls. Started with Slazenger which I could buy cheaply by the dozens because I was losing them just as fast, then on to Bridgestone, TM, and most recently Titleist. My fitter recommended the Prov V1x based on my swing. I also like the way it works for me on the green. The less expensive balls seem to rollout forever. And since I hardly lose them now the $$ work for me as well.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

On 10/3/2019 at 10:52 PM, CarlH said:

Snell MTB-X .... top notch ball at a great price.  

Ditto.  Thanks to @JohnSmalls for turning me on to them.

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Hybrid - Titleist 585 (17*) - Titleist 4175 ( R )
4i - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Forest Green)
Ball -  :Snell: MTB-X
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 10/4/2019 at 8:53 AM, PlaidJacket said:

Is the forum becoming obsessed with golf balls? LOL Seems like not a day goes by without a new or resurrected ball post/thread.

It's the easiest piece of equipment to change.  Lowest switching cost.  And who doesn't want to try to buy their way to a better game?  

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Hybrid - Titleist 585 (17*) - Titleist 4175 ( R )
4i - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Forest Green)
Ball -  :Snell: MTB-X
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

8 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Ditto.  Thanks to @JohnSmalls for turning me on to them.

I can’t take all the credit. To the winner go the spoils. You had the long drive in the Hard Rock Challenge! 

• Like 2

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9

I played Titleist AVX for the lower flight and spin, but I sacrificed green side spin.  I recently tried the TM TP5 and they are insane!  I have to do some more testing when the weather breaks, but wow the TP5 is the real deal.

• Like 1

:titelist-small:  :vokey-small:  :cameron-small:  :footjoy-small:

Is the forum becoming obsessed with golf balls? LOL Seems like not a day goes by without a new or resurrected ball post/thread. Cutting balls in half is the thing these days. When are we going to begin sawing irons in half and start analyzing the metallurgy?  Who wants to go first and show the photos? 

I'd like to know what type of shoe laces (already discussed I know)  you use and do you get more distance or spin around the green with them. Do the number of belt loops on your pants/shorts increase or decrease putts per round? Wasn't there a golfer recently who wears his shirt backwards and instantly knocked 5 shots off his round. I'm told he's thinking of reversing his pants as this might get him to scratch. Sounds like stuff for an in-depth investigation and review if you ax me.

TGIF everyone! 🏌️♂️

Now that’s funny

Turning shirt inside out doesn’t work

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

i play the Prov1X. I like the firmer feel, I get better distance with it off the tee and I enjoy the control around the greens. This followed closely by the Bstone BXS ball. 

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

... While there are quite a few premium balls I could play and be quite happy with including Z Star, Maxfli TourX, ProV1x and Snell Black, the ball that is just a cut above for my swing is the TP5x. Combined with P790's that produce a lower spin offset with a high trajectory, the lower spin and high trajectory of the TP5x is a perfect combo for me. Standing in the fairway 200 yds from the green and knowing a good sing with my 4 iron/TP5x will get me on the green is a nice feeling. When my herniated disc allows me to walk and sleep let alone swing a golf club, I am going to put in some time with the TP5 this winter in Phoenix and see how it compares to the TP5x. 

• Like 3

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

I play the Pro V1x for no reason whatsoever other than some good players hit it so it can't be too bad.

I WISH that my game were good enough to be ball dependent.

Mine are all #79, by the way.  It keeps my eyes on the prize. Between ball number and my name imprinted, I don't have to screw around with Sharpies.

On 10/4/2019 at 6:47 AM, fozcycle said:

I recently got fitted for the TP5x and got a complimentary 2 ball sleeve. The first day out I noticed a small cut on the ball and the cover was separating from the ball. WTH?

I noticed that Mr. Fozcycle said "wth" instead of "wtf."   Good to know the accepted protocols around here.  Thanks, sir.