TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is it me or the fitting????

I just recently got fitted for irons and the main reason was to eliminate the left side miss.  I was playing standard clubs (Ping iblades) and my miss was a 10-15 yard hook.  The fitter said the first reason for the hook was the shaft I was playing (Project X 5.5), my 7 iron swing speed is in the upper 90's.  He also suggest that I go +0.5" due to me being 6'1" and adjust the lie to 2° flat to help with the miss left.  So, with that information out there, I was fitted into the Wilson Staff Staff Model irons with Dynamic Gold X100's.  What's the problem you ask?  Now I miss right....and I mean right!  I can still draw the ball, but it takes a lot more effort than it should.  I would be happy with a little fall to the right, but starting right and going right (10 yds) is not what I want.  So fellow Spies...Is it me or the fitting?

Hit'em straight and not too often!!!

Based on limited info. it's both. That is a huge weight difference between the two shafts. Not only the extra length but the DG's are heavy. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Thanks THEZIPR23 for you reply

Yes, it was a 15g increase in weight.  I just wonder should I work through it knowing that I have eliminate what I feared the most when under pressure or try another shaft? 

Thanks THEZIPR23 for you reply

Edited by CHoyle14

What were results on LM with new shaft?

Eliminating one side of the course is a huge benefit and it may take awhile to get used to seeing the ball go right, as well as adjusting aim and starting point. I would probably stick with it a little bit and see if it improves any. One thing you can do if it doesn't get any better is adjust the lie a little more upright without changing shafts. That should help some. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I wouldn’t worry about the weight difference for now. Are you pushing, push fade, or slicing?

You wanted to eliminate the hook so the increased weight is probably helping to slow rotation and keep the face more square to path.

Might look at alignment to see if you are aligned right.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I would try to bend the 7 iron back to standard and see if that helps. It would be the cheapest and easiest check to see if that helps cure your right miss.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

This wasn’t a slight adjustment. By your account you did a near 180 and even if it’s more appropriate for your swing, the swing you currently have isn’t ready for this profound of a change.

I’d get a second opinion from another fitter.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

18 hours ago, cnosil said:

I wouldn’t worry about the weight difference for now. Are you pushing, push fade, or slicing?

You wanted to eliminate the hook so the increased weight is probably helping to slow rotation and keep the face more square to path.

Might look at alignment to see if you are aligned right.

This is where I would look

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

It is a push fade. 

Face open to inside out path. Does the ball start on same line as before and just fades instead of drawing?

Check alignment next...square, open, closed to target line.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’m with the alignment camp with the information so far.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 10/4/2019 at 12:58 PM, CHoyle14 said:

I just recently got fitted for irons and the main reason was to eliminate the left side miss.  I was playing standard clubs (Ping iblades) and my miss was a 10-15 yard hook.  The fitter said the first reason for the hook was the shaft I was playing (Project X 5.5), my 7 iron swing speed is in the upper 90's.  He also suggest that I go +0.5" due to me being 6'1" and adjust the lie to 2° flat to help with the miss left.  So, with that information out there, I was fitted into the Wilson Staff Staff Model irons with Dynamic Gold X100's.  What's the problem you ask?  Now I miss right....and I mean right!  I can still draw the ball, but it takes a lot more effort than it should.  I would be happy with a little fall to the right, but starting right and going right (10 yds) is not what I want.  So fellow Spies...Is it me or the fitting?

I am by no means a fitter and no where near your skill level but bens197 and rtracymog have good points.  The new set has has more that two significant changes. 

Based on your skill level, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's probably not your swing

Question..Did the fitting include an outdoor range session to see true ball flight and turf interaction?

im 6'2" and hitting +1 but my clubs are 2 Up instead of 2 flat.  I'm not sure how many fitters still use a lie board  but that was key when the fitter was recommending my lie angle and i'm sure that was based on my path to the ball.

Also, If you still have the ping's, extend and bend your favorite to see if the ball flight changes.

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy 10.5 closed face setting

Callaway Razor Fit 3 wood

Nickent 3 Hybrid

XR-OS 4i - 9i factory steel stiff 2 up +1

Ben Hogan 44,48,52,56

Nickent PP-01

Maxfli Tour Center of Gravity model

Thank you to all that have replied.  I have only played 4 - 5 rounds with the new sticks and 3 range sessions with them as well, so they are very new to me.  I will take a look at the alignment as many of you have recommended.  After hearing these thoughts it may just be that I have always lined up right to allow for the hook miss.  It may take me time to re-learn what dead aim looks like over the ball. 

Again thanks for your opinions and advice it has really made me feel a little better about this.  Just need to put some work in.